Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So the Kitakami is in in its 40-torpedo broadside configuration. As a premium. When can I pay them money for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I do like how even the lower tier ships can just wreck a badly played upper tier ship. That said that'll even out as the CBT goes on, so get in while the going is good.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The Independence has a ridiculous quantity of AA for the tiers you fight it at. Going up against one in a Langley isn't too bad, but I'm better off loading fighters and shooting down its everything than trying to Torp it and lose half my planes each run.

Probably because its a mid-war CVL rather than pre-war.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I sunk two DDs trying to close me down with the secondary guns on my Langley. How. HOW?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Had this hilarious match yesterday where I was divisioned with a buddy in tier 4 destroyers. We were rounding an island and I was like "there's a lone cruiser there, let's get him" (we were at about 4.5km) and my friend is like "uhhh, you sure, that's a cleveland". We went for it anyway and torped his butt from consecutive smoke, took a fair bit of damage doing it but sunk him.

The enemy player raged in all-chat about how we were "torpedo noobs" and how we should "use your drat guns" like "real ships".

Guy was real mad about getting his tier 6 godmachine sunk by tier 4 destroyers. And I'm pretty sure not shooting was key in not getting blown to poo poo on the approach, so...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Also you know how having poo poo crews sucks in WoT? Here crew exp gives perks only. So that part of the grind goes away.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

My favorite tactic on non-Langley carriers is to draw the enemy fighters back to my carrier by fleeing with a depleted fighter squadron or a squad of torp bombers, then use focused AA to gun them all down. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does every time.

Just have to be careful not to get Midway'd in the process.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Please tell me the Yamato has a place in this book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Preston#World.E2.80.8A.27.E2.80.8Bs_Worst_Warships

yes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Sometimes you can't reliably tell if a death blob will just evaporate upon first contact with the enemy. That said, I try to follow the majority of my team as a carrier too, for the exact reasons you outline.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Calling them Sky Cancer is fun, but I prefer calling them worthless instead. Especially the ones who call to "protect the carriers guys!" at the start of the match.

Got one guy to rage at me when told him he had a "worthless pancake ship" after he asked for protection, even as I killed a destroyer who broke through the middle and beelined him, and he ended the match with five air kills and 3rd last in exp. Meanwhile, our carrier who didn't say poo poo downed two battleships and enabled at least one cruiser kill that I saw.

Dodging torpedo planes is a lot easier than it seems as long as you stay aware of them and don't tunnel. The problem, like real naval battles interestingly enough, is it is a major disruption to your movements and maneuvering.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Wish I had replays on for that match. Minekaze, tier 5 battle. We take 2 points and contest 1 early, and ship kills are even for a bit. I'm doing doughnuts on B in layered smoke screens and having fun dodging a bazillion torps, nailed a Phoenix and a Kawachi and helped take down a Clemeson.

At some point though the enemy heavy hitters show up to A and C and they steamroll our guys there. We do manage to clear B and I break out to hunt down the enemy Langley and Independence. I tunnel a bit here because while I'm plotting my course through their spawn I glance up to reveal that it's just me and our two carriers vs 6 enemies.

Points were in our favor for most of the match, but are now steadily ticking the enemy's way. I detect the independence, who divebombs me once, but I pop smoke when he tries to repeat. He dodges the max range torp run. Enemy cruisers have the range on me now, but my second set of fish is out, and I'm hoping I can get one more kill before I die. And then just as I'm set on fire from a second cruiser volley, all my torps slam home (he turned into them at the last second, not that it mattered).

And then the match ends. Victory. On points, from the carrier kill. We must have had 900+ or something, because I did not expect to survive, nevermind win.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Weather effects that move across maps would be neat and provide a suitable terrain, IMO, but haha good luck getting Wargaming to implement that kind of change to their engine.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

that DD on the bottom had you dead to rights and... missed

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm at 58% and I can't explain why either. Don't seem to have a big impact on battles most of the time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Possibly my best 30 seconds of boats ever tonight.

I was setting up a torp run on a New York rounding an island. Turned into the island, led and fired the port launchers, turned back out, waited, fired the starboard ones as I rounded the island. Smoke at that moment, swap to HE, turn away.

What I didn't see was the Gremyaschy and the South Carolina just around the island. Now the New York is hosing me with secondaries while the Grem will definitely not miss his second volley or his torps. gently caress. I'm hosed, turn back in, start shooting.

Fortunately, the Gremyaschy we had engaged earlier and had only a tenth health or so. I turned my guns his way and one-volleyed him.

Then my torps hit the New York. He sinks. Double Strike and Devastating Strike awards.

I start shooting the second battleship. It so happens he's heading straight towards me as I turn back into him, so his secondaries have no angle. My port torp launchers, fired about 30s before the engagement began, are close to reloading.

I hit an island trying to set up the torp angle. Well, I almost missed it, but I scraped it on my side. He's trying to turn guns onto me but they're slow. No... wait, he's turned back, is he trying to ram me while I'm beached?

Then my torpedoes reload. I fire them straight at him, as he's pointed straight at me. They all hit. He sinks less than a kilometer from me. Second Devastating Strike award.

I'm left there gaping at my screen. Did I just do that?

And can I get unstuck from this island?

And that was how I won my first battle in my brand new stock Nicholas.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

So the Furutaka is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever driven.

Is there a trick to this ship or is it just bad?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

manual carrier runs removed and re-activated with a tier 2 skill

I guess that's not a huge deal but it does change everyone's first impressions of carriers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

F93KP-VTX63-2GCRY-8ZEKY

Please quote when you take it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Woodchip posted:

I get guns after a few dozen battles, but is there a trick to aiming torps? Is it just a matter of practice?

The white lead indidcator is excellent, and just firing on its line is reliable as long as the enemy doens't maneuver. Use the 3 key to swap from wide to narrow spreads. Narrow is almost always better unless you don't have a good read on the enemy position.

For me, torps are mostly a matter of range, spread, and maximum salvo. This changes a bit at higher tiers as you have center line launchers, so you don't have to double up on salvos anymore.

Range: Know your torp range. If you're good, you can fire one salvo off before the target even enters range (target speed will make up the distance) and then close and fire another after their evasion, or turn and repeat if you have torp range > detection range.
Spread: Several factors here. Accounting for their evasion is the main one; when the torps are detected, they'll start a turn if they aren't stupid, so your later torps need to account for that. If they're already maneuvering, then you kind of eyeball it based on where you think they'll be. You can also time things so that later launchers in sequence fill the gaps between the early ones' torps. Finally, if you have the right angle, it's sometimes possible to fire each launcher in sequence so that they all close at different angles. This is much more difficult to dodge fully.
Salvo is just about planning your turns so you can fire both sides of your ship's launchers, if you're in a low-tier destroyer or destroyer-leader cruiser.

It helps to saturate an area that friendlies are already torpedoing, as the more angles the torps come in simultaneously the harder they are to dodge.

Torps can work on anyone. Destroyers are often right on top of you or very stupid. Even moreso if you can hit them blind in their own fog when they think they don't have to maneuver. Cruisers are vulnerable at close to medium range and will take hits at long range because they're stupid, battleships are vulnerable from almost any range. Remember, planes can spot torpedoes, so have some awareness that planes aren't on top of you when you fire if you care about how stealthy your launch is going to be. Sometimes you're in so close that it doesn't matter, though.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 19, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The best Cleveland trick I can recommend is swapping to AP when you're within approx 5km of ships you think you can pen (cruisers, mostly). I took on a New Orleans from full and sunk him with 5 consecutive citadels while only losing about 2/5 of my health to his HE spam.

Otherwise, just maximize shooting time and minimize getting shot at time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

tater_salad posted:

So now that beta is opened am I out a frww ship? Ive got 20 gsmes in.. was going to grind 10 a day this weekend to make 50.

The beta is not opened yet. The patch that will probably be open beta is available on the test server. Closed beta is still running on the regular server.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The nice thing about boats is all the nations had fairly comparable lineups, thanks to the slow pace of ship development and building. (well, German and Russia not really included but paper boats count right?)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Uh

Are the low tier BBs supposed to be fun? I had a great time with the Kawachi and South Carolina, and I just got out of a 90.8k AP, 13.7k HE, 9.4k fires, 8.6k secondaries game with my Myogi for 1876 base exp.

I mean, dodging torps is annoying but if you manage it well enough, Dreadnought awaits.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

On stopping still, all stop is handy for hiding behind an island when you're about to die and need to wait the cooldown on your smoke/torps/repair/fires or what have you, and doubly so when someone else is shooting at the enemy who's hunting you.

Of course, the best way to stop suddenly is to beach yourself, not go to zero throttle.

The best advice I can give to someone who doesn't get moving all the time is instead of thinking of it as moving forward, think of it in terms of maneuvers. You reach X point, you conduct a maneuver to reposition your guns. This might involve pre-swinging your turrets around to the other side of your ship as you make a massive 180 degree turn, or it might involve going from pointing towards the enemy to close range to turning broadside to volley them, or it might involve turning away and "fleeing" at about a 30 degree angle so you can fire on them with all turrets while still preserving angled armor... the list goes on. You should always be thinking about what maneuver will be advantageous next, and about what stretch of water you're going to sail along for the next few minutes and what angles that will give you on what (also moving) enemies.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I can't believe this happened =(

I was set to get so much XP! High Caliber and Confederate, and this guy just one shots me.

Citadels! St Lou were my favorite target when I played the South Carolina, actually. Big, dangerous, slow, and easy to remove from the field.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Midwaying the other carrier in your first run of the match is often the wrong tactical move, but pulling it off anyway and sinking a carrier higher tier than you is oh so satisfying.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The Kawachi was great, but it's difficult to put into words what made it so.

I guess, having the four turrets per side meant it was really easy to maneuver to good shooting positions, without giving up armor angling between shots.

You have to plot a course closer to the enemy than your cruiser line, which means destroyers are the biggest enemy, because you'll be right up against the islands on most maps. Don't get yourself ambushed and then just blow up cruisers with AP. I can count dozens of times a St. Louis thinks he has me because lol Kawachi and then BAM two citadels and he's at the bottom. Chesters and Chikumas are just meat. St. Louis, somewhat threatening. South Carolina, depends on positioning, but you have the better layout to get your guns pointed at him before his are at you. Higher-tier ships are problematic, but you're slow too so others will usually engage them first and then just drop AP on their decks while they're distracted.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Kawachi rides really low in the water for a BB, too - but it's extremely wide, so there's a greater chance of plunging shells doing a shitload of damage.

That fits my experience; I had a lot better luck deliberately sailing through island cover and then into close fights (6km to 7km or so), than keeping long range.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

OSad posted:

I think that maybe carriers can see too much by themselves. I understand that planes in real life had radios in them, so they could report enemy positions back to their battleships/carriers, but this is exaggerated in boats. A carrier on an ideal situation doesn't need anybody else because they have aircraft to spot for them, and the aircraft don't have an operational range or maximum air time.

The carrier rushes at the beginning of matches seem to come entirely out of this. A carrier can take his sweet time launching and mushing all his bombers together, and most of the time said bombers will still make it to the enemy lines before an experienced destroyer can even spot another class of enemy ship. Since planes can spot for themselves, it's trivial for a carrier player to dumpster a hapless fool at the beginning of the match, often times - if out-tiered - without the carrier/carriers in your team being able to do a drat thing to stop it entirely.

And without any range/fuel limit, a carrier player can sneak his planes around the entire edge of the map in order to kill the carrier in your team. Often this only takes two or three minutes to do, but if WoWs portrays naval engagements in a reduced scale, then surely the concept of time is compressed as well. Planes should not be able to fly for that long, even on an arcade setting, I think. If you choose to do something like that, then you should probably have it in your mind that you may lose all those squadrons because you made them wander too far off of your range, and they couldn't get back to you in time.

Spotter aircraft on other classes of ships are okay since you don't have any direct control over them, but I don't really think carriers should have this much vision power, and I don't think planes should have this much autonomy from your carrier. You should have to depend on your fleet more as a carrier, and your planes should have to depend more on your carrier. This shouldn't just be the bomb/fighter dispenser with big tier discrepancies that it is right now.

(note, I don't know a drat thing about planes in real life so this could be entirely wrong)

The kind of combined arms engagements we get in world of warships don't resemble real life naval battles even remotely. Especially carrier engagements. Very rarely were enemy ships spotted by other ships; the idea that a carrier should rely on destroyer scouts or engaged warships to find the enemy for them is even more arcade-y than what we have. Almost all carrier battles, including strikes against warships and shipping, happened well beyond visual range, and relied on scouting aircraft, submarine reports, and yes, on squadrons spotting the enemy by themselves. In fact, most squadrons failed to find the target, or even to find the target other squadrons in a strike found. Furthermore, radio communication was poor and unreliable, due to poor equipment and training, and navigation was also a serious issue.

In a typical engagement, you'd have a report from submarines or scout aircraft of the approximate location and heading of an opposing force, then you would launch your planes in that direction and each squadron would individually navigate and attack. Sometimes your aircraft would get the chance to form up a proper attack if they weren't pressed by enemy CAP, and coordination increased greatly later in the war.

In World of Warships, everyone has shared vision. Unless that mechanic is eliminated, it's very difficult to implement any realistic aircraft model.

With a fuel mechanic, what you could do is have scout squadrons / aircraft with long fuel loads, and then strike aircraft which have less range as they carry ordinance that reduces range. It would be difficult to scout with your strike squadrons, because they'd need to warm on the deck for the strikes themselves.

If we had weather effects or even cloud patterns, that might also push the visibility advantage of carriers back a bit.

Of course, the arcadey solution is to cut aircraft spotting range. This approach is actually probably just fine.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I really liked the Kawachi but even I thought the Myogi was awful. Had some decent individual games in it, but still awful overall.

I'm also used to ripple firing to help my aim, so it was especially bad on the Myogi with only three turrets.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Why. I am genuinely curious.

Easy to citadel everything at your tier. Having two turrets on both sides means you can quickly engage another target after the first goes down or hides behind an island or you need to turn the gently caress around because you don't want to YOLO into the enemy team alone. It also helps you a lot in those low tier knife fights where you have to turn constantly to keep bearing on someone. I never had a problem working around the range, given I already knew the lower-tier maps well enough to just pop out and blow someone away at 5km or so. A St. Louis at 10km range is dangerous, but the trick is to not get into those sniper fights, or to get surprised with your guns pointed the wrong way in close. A St. Louis under your guns at less than 7km is meat.

There's a fair bit to think about between having low speed, how you have to approach the typical fighting zones at a different range than your cruisers, yet still need enemy destroyers to die before wading in.

It kind of felt like I'd spend five or more minutes setting up a fight, then BAM sucker punch one or two hapless cruisers (although not that hapless because they had to have seen me coming), before healing and setup again.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Rorac posted:

:what:

No seriously, what? The Kawachi is an absolute peice of trash. It gets outranged by literally everything ever, hitting is more a matter of luck than actually aiming, and it feels like it's made out of construction paper reinforced with cardboard. And not that good corrugated cardboard, but cheap lovely cardboard that's been left outside in the rain for a week. Even if it can gently caress up a dude at close range, that only happens if your opponents are idiots because everything short of a carrier is faster than you. It's completely irredeemable. At least the Myogi has something resembling range on the guns.

:what:

Your opponents in this game are 99% idiots, though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The hilarious part is he could have lived if he hit repair instead of going "J'ACCUSE" or whatever in chat.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

That happened to me once except I somehow torpedoed two of the destroyers when they got carrier-target-fixation and the last was caught by a cruiser who turned around to cover me, bless him. One of my team had the gall to congratulate me.

We won the match, but it could have been a stomp if there had even been one more ship in the way.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Sometimes you can't carry hard enough

I torpedoed 8 ships on the enemy team including saving one of our battleships from a destroyer who was about to shotgun him and shot down 34 of the enemy carriers' aircraft with my single 4-plane fighter squadron. If our Langley hadn't gone afk 5 minutes into the match we would have won. If any of our surface ships had done anything worth a drat we would have won.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Kuntz posted:

What's the point of catapult fighters? They seem to be mostly a distraction to actual fighter squadrons, even with your AA helping them, and don't increase your firing range at all. Do they make torpedo bombers gently caress up their spread or something?

Yes, a single catapult fighter attacking a torp squad fucks the spread exactly the same as a full squadron of fighters or the activated AA ability. If the enemy carrier doesn't use fighters to knock yours down it's a massive boon to air defense.

Having one circling is also good for vision at times, especially destroyers or smoke. Especially if you time the launch right and know where the orbit is going to begin.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

This is going to be the highest of heresies, but...

I don't get the Murmansk? I mean, it's got guns, but not as many as I want. It's got torpedoes, but their arc sucks so they're only good if you're surprised. The AA isn't bad but I want a fighter not a spotter plane.

I just would rather play any other ship, and would do so better. I like my Kuma better, I like the Phoenix and Omaha better, hell I even prefer my Clemeson if guns and some torps is the style I want. The only thing I can really say for it is at least it isn't the Furutaka.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it has 6-7 barrels to the front/sides, which ain't bad for T5. With the Level 4 skill you'll be sitting at more than 17km base range (~21 with spotter). The AA is not awesome but okay (use the +20% range upgrade).
The guns also do have guite a punch with AP. Though the shells are quite slow. Thus the Phoenix feels a lot more precise. I can see why one might not like it. But it suits me perfectly.

Right after I posted that, I kicked the poo poo out of a full health New Mexico in my Murmansk. Still don't like it, but have a grudging respect for the guns now.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

grrarg posted:

It is really weird that you said in your original post that you like the Omaha but not the Murmansk. The Murmansk is literally a C hull Omaha but better. Longer range torps, better AA, faster rudder shift, and longer gun range until the patch. The only thing that might be considered worse is the spotter plane instead of a fighter.

I don't use the C hull for the Omaha, I use the B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

yaay posted:

on BB chat, found this browsing yesterday. Uh i'm BB#1 fan here but this is honestly kind of ridiculous even if you allow for it being a t7 v t10 matchup. 10-20k through the front of a nagato with HE is an obscenity even given the yamato's calibre and winning a 1v4 through pure retard strength is kind of stupid. Like I'm pretty sure 4 competent ISes can take an IS-7 in an open field brawl without too much trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFm1xsECGc

On one hand, certain tier differences are pretty bad (carriers seem the main culprit), but on the other hand, the Yamato was designed specifically to take a big poo poo on older, smaller battleships. And the Nagato and New Mexico are both WW1-era battleships, both rebuilt in the 30s. 8 inches of armor isn't stopping poo poo.

Not to mention, those four players kind of sucked. The Nagato has 16 inch guns that could have penetrated the Yamato broadside, especially at knife-fighting distances. But he kept shooting HE. The Sims didn't use his guns at all, when a barrage of destroyer HE could have made a huge difference in that battle. Yes, the New Mexico is probably hosed, but he shouldn't have uptiered himself in a division then.