Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've got a beta key for the NA server if anyone wants to trade if for one that I can use to get into EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is there a way to display ship/player names all the time instead of hitting alt?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hazdoc posted:

There's an option to set that information to permanently toggle on. Should be in the same spot as the collision avoidance autopilot setting.

Thanks.

Another question, do guns seem insanely loud to anyone else? I'm having to turn the SFX slider so far down that I can barely hear anything else, just to make the guns tolerable.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm running into an odd bug where in my battleship, I fire one battery when its crosshair is green, and every gun fires even though the others aren't aligned to shoot. I'm tapping the button once, not holding it or double-tapping. Seems to coincide with fewer shells being drawn by the game and none of the shells registering as hits on the target, regardless of how they are drawn when they land.

They're essentially ghost volleys that empty the guns and start the reload timer. It's not great.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 4, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ohsosad posted:

You don't have "weapons fixed on relative / fixed on sector" on by accident? because that will cause that to happen.

I am using the fix position command at the start of battles, but I'm absolutely certain that it is happening after I hit X to unlock them again. For one thing, I can see it happening when the ship is on a straight course and the guns are in the process of turning to match my sights (first gun aligns, I fire and all guns empty).

wdarkk posted:

This isn't happening right after you switch weapon types is it?

I'm using the Wyoming so I only have the one type of weapon.

If replays were in I'd try and make a gif.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

wdarkk posted:

Yeah ammo types. If you have a different ammo type selected for the next shot, it fires every gun that's on-target and reloads every gun that isn't.

That's probably it. I'm an idiot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, just a little bit.

Surprisingly we lost because of a cap, by the end we had a decent chance of winning a straight fight.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's the Warspite.

Edit: I haven't actually played the Warspite yet, but it's clearly the best. It's the loving Warspite.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Because Russia is Wargaiming's 2nd biggest income source and they are known to be pretty xenophobic when it comes to what they choose to play.

There are also masses of closest Nazi's so the German tree will go in before the British ones as people will spent lots of cash to buy into it.

So WG will be saving the best Navy to last

The part that really doesn't make sense is the IJN. They obviously don't give a poo poo for historical accuracy, and I'm sure they would draw more customers with either the Kriegsmarine or the RN.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
When you choose a direction at the start of the battle remember to pre-lock your guns toward the side that will face the enemy (point cursor, hit CTRL X). Those turrets turn so slowly they need to be pre-aligned to the correct side of the ship. Remember to unlock them again with X when you see an enemy. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are invincible, you aren't. And aim for citadel shots with your AP.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Poe's Law is in effect here, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fire is unrelated to the citadel, it is something that happens to the deck/superstructure. Never, ever come to a complete stop. Ever. For any reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
*Creeps around headland at 5 knots. Fires salvo, hitting island.*

*Comes to a stop and sits still for fifteen seconds before crawling back around the headland at 2 knots.*

*Gets hit behind the island by plunging artillery*

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I tend to think of that as a manoeuvre as opposed to a stop (although it does involve killing all forward momentum), but yeah valid point.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any advice on the upgrade path for the New York? I'm stock now and finding it be a fairly atrocious experience. Not sure whether to go with the engines as the cheaper option with almost double the manoeuvrability, or the hull as I normally would.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I'm not convinced that straddling fire is meant to cover splashing both ahead and behind the bow and stern respectively, with a two-gun turret. Then again, I was hit by a torpedo I watched sail completely past the bow of my ship the other day, so poo poo's weird.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 7, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bobthethurd posted:

I don't find torpedoes to be the auto-hit instant kills on everything. They're certainly inconvenient but they're a LOT more avoidable than most people seem to think. The problem is you fucks don't do anything but drive straight and pray I miss or all my planes spontaneously combust.

There is an easily replicable (and utterly inexcusable at this point) bug in the game that lets you confuse the AI and force the planes into a torpedo drop way, way closer than should be possible. They are then literally unavoidable for the target ship, who doesn't even have time to react to a rudder change. Imagine if in World of Tanks you could ping the map three to five times before firing, and guarantee that not only would that shot hit perfectly on bullseye, but also penetrate.

That's why CVs are loving broken at the moment. Because people who know what they are doing are entirely capable of killing every worthwhile target with absolute efficiency unless the opposing CV can stop them. Against those carriers the skill and awareness of the target player is irrelevant to the outcome.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Or cause the planes to bug out, spasm around, and then drop without a clear indication of their direction of travel before release.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm running into an issue with my stock Langley wherein fighters of the same tier, and even from other Langleys, are killing my fighters within seconds. I take off one pip of health from them, they splash my entire full health squadron. I've even had this happen when I attacked a squadron that was already flying within the AA coverage of three different blue ships. They simply killed my squadron and flew off. My question is, what the gently caress? Is that really just some upgrades and Air Group Mod 1, or am I missing something fundamental?

Also, on a semi-related note, receiving four hundred and twenty experience for a win where I killed a spotter, a fighter, and eleven torpedo bombers is the weirdest balance decision I've seen in a multiplayer game for a long long time. It's not boasting to say that I was instrumental in my team winning that game. But there is no incentive to do it again.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just had an incredibly fun BB heavy game on Ocean. Our team responded to me designating targets and we just obliterated the enemy. Ship after ship getting soaked with shells from the majority of our team. By the end of the game we'd only lost four ships.

So yeah, bind that designator key, people might respond to it. And if they do you have a real advantage.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ratzap posted:

Ok thanks. As it is I'm having a miserable time - stock ships are horrible. The basic Langley (as you no doubt know) has no AA so it can't protect itself from other carriers. So I use the fighters as protection but they are stock too so anyone who's upgraded kills them. I'm trying to catch other fighters over my sides ships so their AA helps out but drat, it's going to be a long painful haul to get this poo poo bucket upgraded.

I'm enjoying my first CV, but I'm finding it utterly baffling. My fighters are upgraded and they keep dying one-on-one with other Langley fighters, inside friendly AA bubbles. I have no loving clue how air combat is meant to work. That and I'm seeing torpedo planes that can actually outrun them.

Between that and the games where I'm the only carrier against two enemy CVs, yet somehow kill their whole airforce (for which you get gently caress all exp), but then have my bombers circle around the drop points instead of dropping, I'm having a really weird, really really unrewarding career as a successful carrier. But it is fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've got Expert Rear Gunner & Torpedo Armament Expertise, and am planning to pick up Dogfighting Expert next (I need two more points). I've also just fitted Air Group Mod 1 in the hope that will make it a noticeable difference

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This was a bit of a harsh one to lose. 124,000 damage done. It would have been the 1.5x as well.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kXf8e8n.jpg][/timg]

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 10, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The unfamiliar insults and broken gibberish English are the best things about the EU servers.

You just need to delte you bian, uninstall you Barbie and dount cray.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 10, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A patch just went up, no idea what it did though. Are WG bothering to post patch notes anywhere?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm really kicking myself for not buying the Humble Bundle thing, got side tracked from work stuff and forgot about it.
I'm not sure I want to drop money on this game yet, at least until they come clear on when you can use tanks gold in this.

Check your PMs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Carriers are essentially their own arcane sub-game in the style of an RTS.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I suck appallingly in the Langley. I'm doing something that causes my torpedo bombers to fly to the drop point and then just circle away again instead of dropping. And they just repeat that over and over. I have no idea what is going on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Reason says to use the main gun accuracy mod on the Warspite, but oh it is tempting to go with the secondary gun range mod.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the responses about torpedo drops. I'm seeing some more success. That said, I also just had the squadron fly to the drop point, then circle so far back they dropped on the other side of an island. Which, by any measure, is quite the pilot error.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Converting XP was basically never worth it in WoT, so you just pumped it all into the crew. Shame you can't do that in this.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just use the accrued Free Exp. I have almost all the Soviet premium tanks and play them a lot though, so perhaps I'm not that representative.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Talking about flags, do we know when the extra cash flag is added in to the calculation? If it is after the premium bonus then I'm going to save them all up for Warspite and Murmansk.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fuckers should have made the Murmansk code work in the EU. :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Night10194 posted:

All three of my mission slots are Sky in Flames. All three.

My missions are bugged. I've got 'Sniper', 'Surprise Attack', and the third has been counting down 'Time till update' for over 24 hours. I've just landed seven torpedo hits and neither Sniper or Surprise Attack have completed/shown progress.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the Langley might gain air superiority eventually if the Japanese carrier is stupid, but by that point it's going to be pyrrhic. More often than not the Langley will be the first on his team to die in that situation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Rapid and repeated manual drop commands is, apparently, what causes the planes to get confused and drop within the circle. It's a bullshit bug.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're in a CV and you're not staying close behind the bulk of your team, you're a dumby.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Badges seem to give you a fairly huge boost. Akin to kills in WoT.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not going to jump into the argument on either side but I will say this. The other day I was in a broadside 1v1 with another BB at 1.5km range on parallel headings. During our convergance I had already scored Citadels and reduced him to a slither of health. I don't know where he was aiming, but I absolutely was going for the citadel. But once we'd close to point blank I couldn't get any. Engine room, ammo bunker, it made no difference. I could see the shells hitting the right areas, but I wasn't getting any Citadel hits, and he wasn't getting any on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ladies and Gentlemen, the shittest post in the thread.