Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Earlier I had a master strategist on my team proclaim that, on Fault Line, we should drop everything and either cap B or interdict the enemy's attempts at capping it. One pubbie ran to B and died, at which point the rest of the team went to C instead, making no further efforts at B and none whatsoever at A. Even with literally our whole team on one side of the map (except my Myogi and a cruiser), the idiots never broke out of the channel at C and were cooped up in a quarter of the map all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

rossmum posted:

Earlier I had a master strategist on my team proclaim that, on Fault Line, we should drop everything and either cap B or interdict the enemy's attempts at capping it. One pubbie ran to B and died, at which point the rest of the team went to C instead, making no further efforts at B and none whatsoever at A. Even with literally our whole team on one side of the map (except my Myogi and a cruiser), the idiots never broke out of the channel at C and were cooped up in a quarter of the map all game.

And now I imagine driving a later-tier IJN destroyer in such a game. Holy poo poo, sending long-range torp spreads into that clusterfuck would be glorious.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 14, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every game, it never fails. The cruisers never engage the destroyers and the battleships spend the whole game chasing them until the enemy catches and murders them or the skycancer gets them.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Magni posted:

...so, the stock Fuso.

Don't. Just, don't.

Stock Fuso's not *that* bad. The 14km range sucks and on maps like Ocean, you will wish you were playing a different ship, but provided you can get within those 14 kilometers, you can bring the hurt just as well as the upgraded version can.

Plus, it's not an unattainable amount of experience or anything. It's like 15 games or something.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

American BBs are really good. SoCar was better than it had any right to be, wyo vomited shells and was super hard to kill, and the NY just blaps the crap out of things with its 14"ers. :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Magni posted:

And now I imagine driving a later-tier IJn in suh a game. Holy poo poo, sending long-range torp spreads into that clusterfuck would be glorious.

I've done that. It's either as glorious as you think with multiple ships getting flooded/sinking from a single spread :getin:

Or everyone happens to dodge your torpedoes perfectly despite getting in each others way and beaching themselves against each other :negative:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
But evne then, you get to see a whoel clusterfuck of panicking ships beaching themselves and/r ramming each other, which is quite the consolation prize as far as I'm concerned. :allears:

OSad posted:

Stock Fuso's not *that* bad. The 14km range sucks and on maps like Ocean, you will wish you were playing a different ship, but provided you can get within those 14 kilometers, you can bring the hurt just as well as the upgraded version can.

Plus, it's not an unattainable amount of experience or anything. It's like 15 games or something.

My main gripe with stock Fuso isn't even the range. It's that the drat thing will also eat citadels and full pens from even Wyomings all day unless angled almost straigh at or away from the enemy. All while you're a gigantic, slow target with a slow rudder and higher-tier carriers making GBS threads on you because what AA you have wouldn't even inconvenience a Hosho or Langley. It's like you're literally driving a Wyoming with worse armor that's also two tiers higher. :suicide:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Looking at armor model from certain website. Apparently New Mexico has 25-50 mm armor all-round with 457 mm armor along waterline belt :stare:

Overall all the ships look like they have thin base armor with small belt of armor along waterline, just long enough to protect engine and such.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yes, that is how battleships are armored. There's an armored belt to protect the waterline and a bit above, with a horizontal deck to make an armored box, and inside that is all the yummy tootsie roll center that we call the citadel. Above that is some lighter armor on the older ships to protect casemate guns against lighter weapons, and thick barbettes up to the main caliber turrets.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well yeah, except I didn't realize it would be whopping 400+ mm for battleships. Not that I shoot AP at battleships with cruisers up close.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I saw a photo of the door of an armored section of a battleship, and it looked like the door to a safe, it was so thick. Just solid metal, over a foot thick :stare:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I wouldn't bet on a safe against a 16" shell.

In fairness I wouldn't bet on a decent fraction of battleships against one either.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I wouldn't bet on a safe against a 16" shell.

In fairness I wouldn't bet on a decent fraction of battleships against one either.

Well, US battleships at least were armored to withstand citadel penetration from their own main armament, either through sheer armor thickness in the case of the turret face or angling of the armor belt downward to deflect the shell and prevent a face-on impact. There are several instances where US battleships shattered/de-capped Japanese AP shells due to their armor layouts.

The South Dakota for example suffered an electrical failure in a main panel board during a battle, and lost her radar as well her communications and other essential functions. Unable to fight she managed to withstand 26 direct hits from Japanese battleships with minimal damage and was able to successfully withdraw from the fight to a rendevous point with the rest of the BatDiv.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A patch just went up, no idea what it did though. Are WG bothering to post patch notes anywhere?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

orange juche posted:

Well, US battleships at least were armored to withstand citadel penetration from their own main armament, either through sheer armor thickness in the case of the turret face or angling of the armor belt downward to deflect the shell and prevent a face-on impact. There are several instances where US battleships shattered/de-capped Japanese AP shells due to their armor layouts.

The South Dakota for example suffered an electrical failure in a main panel board during a battle, and lost her radar as well her communications and other essential functions. Unable to fight she managed to withstand 26 direct hits from Japanese battleships with minimal damage and was able to successfully withdraw from the fight to a rendevous point with the rest of the BatDiv.

This is all true. However, it took the Montana or Yamato layout to have a truly satisfactory IZ against superheavy 16" and not just one made with the tacit assumption that the ship would be angled to get it to be sufficiently wide without some lucky decapping action. Anything before the Standards would have a very small IZ indeed, and that leaves very few ships from WWI or before.

Kirishima was shooting oldish 14" at a ship armored against modern 16" incidentally. Not the fairest fight.

Incidentally, the Diana seems to be for bundling, it's going out with some video cards now: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R7360OC2GD5/

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a fully-upgraded Omaha with longer ranged torps, better maneuverability (including an extra tenth of an knot in maximum speed), almost half a km better surface concealment, and oh...a stock engagement range of 14.8km over the Omaha's max of 12.7km. Tack on the 20% bonus of Advanced Firing Training and that 14.8km becomes ~17.76km, which can outrange the New York at tier (but not the Kongo).

So yeah, the Murmansk is worth it. Very worth it.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying the Humble Bundle thing, got side tracked from work stuff and forgot about it.
I'm not sure I want to drop money on this game yet, at least until they come clear on when you can use tanks gold in this.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

A patch just went up, no idea what it did though. Are WG bothering to post patch notes anywhere?
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/38693-patch-notes-0403/page__p__976402#entry976402
http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/patch-notes-0-4-0-3/

They were linked in the launcher and posted on the front page of the US site late last week, but looks like the post disappeared when they changed the site and spammed it with social media crap and videos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm really kicking myself for not buying the Humble Bundle thing, got side tracked from work stuff and forgot about it.
I'm not sure I want to drop money on this game yet, at least until they come clear on when you can use tanks gold in this.

Check your PMs.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Thanks to my work schedule and such I'm slow working up the US BB line. I've been doing well / liking the New Mexico, but most people seem to say the Colorado is a turd. What's the actual word on this ship as i near 20k from it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
It's like New Mexico but with worse shell spread. Just endure until you get North Carolina.

When I played CBT I didn't like NM and hated Colorado, but North Carolina made me smile.

e: My next line to grind after getting Des Moines (got about 500k xp to go :negative:) will be US battleship, but I really don't want to grind anything below North Carolina :(

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 14, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ They're good. You're way more durable than you might think, just load AP and get close. Angle your belt armor and you'll bounce stuff you have no business bouncing. :getin: ^^

fake edit: seriously, I evaporated a Pepsicola in my Wyoming because they got too close and they didn't know they were made of paper. Three citadels from one broadside at like 7km = dead T7 CA. :allears: The only problem with these boats is the speed (rather lack thereof).

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 14, 2015

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
I'm struggling with how horrid the US destroyers are unless there is an island to hide around. And how dependent I am on the rest of my team not being horrid. So many games where I have three or four kills and no one else on the team has any.

Interesting historic note, only one US battleship actually sank another battleship in WWII...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Washington_%28BB-56%29

The largest naval battle in WWII was Leyte Gulf. Which was more of a series of battles. I think less ships were involved in each battle than are on each team in WOWS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf

I just finished reading Sea of Thunder because my eight-year-old son is fascinated by the pacific war. I highly recommend it to anyone with a passing interest in naval warfare.
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Thunder-Commanders-Campaign-1941-1945/dp/0743252217

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Can I put people on ignore somhow? I can't figure it out. I get tired of people bitching when they die that we didn't somehow save them. Especially CVs who made no effort to stay mobile.
Edit: Can I just turn chat off completely?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 14, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Krogort posted:

Atlanta :
Shortish range
Fast turret turn speed
Very high dps with HE
AP is useless
Good anti air
4 short range (4.5km?) torpedoes on each side
About 35kts top speed
No fighter/scout plane

Atago :
Longish range
Average turret turn speed
Average dps with HE
Good penetration with AP (against cruisers)
Average anti air
2x4 10km torpedoes on each side
About 35kts top speed
Launch a fighter plane

Both are kinda squishy, atlanta may have a slightly stronger Armor.

So I went for the easy option and got both, then because I felt bad about spending so much money I also bought an Aurora. And now I am surprised nobody talks about the Aurora, it's a pretty cheap premium St Louis that doesn't suffer from the lovely high tier MM the Atlanta and Atago do. For now I'd recommend the Aurora over the other premiums because it instantly gets battles and those battles are semi balanced.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Japanese are the ones that get the longer max range in game though, pagoda masts trump radar apparently.

Also, that's not the only time, it's the first of only two times, the second of which happened in...

quote:

The largest naval battle in WWII was Leyte Gulf. Which was more of a series of battles. I think less ships were involved in each battle than are on each team in WOWS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf

... the southernmost action, Surigao Straight, when the refloated and rebuilt victims of Pearl Harbor sank the Yamashiro.

Battle off Samar is the most interesting action. Halsey was a botes pubbie, Spruance 4 lyfe.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 14, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

There was a humble bundle deal for this game? I kind of last track of anything after I didn't get into CBT.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aesis posted:

Looking at armor model from certain website. Apparently New Mexico has 25-50 mm armor all-round with 457 mm armor along waterline belt :stare:

Overall all the ships look like they have thin base armor with small belt of armor along waterline, just long enough to protect engine and such.

The New Mexico was 457mm on the turret faces not the not belt, it should be a maximum of 343mm on the belt armour, around 300mm on the conning tower as well means you really do need the plunging fire onto the deck, 90mm will not hold out much even striking it at an angle. Still a good 40mm more belt armour than the Fuso, though the Fuso has a stronger conning tower.

Now if they've modelled that or not I don't know but it seems to be broadly like that in game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think I am in love. I survived the fight with 400 hp, and I was fighting hard the whole time. This ship owns so much it is unreal.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I'm finally done with the Colorado. gently caress this loving floating tire fire. The only thing it's good at is catching every HE shell on the map and dying in less than a minute. :fuckoff:

Colorado stats:

New Mexico stats:

New York stats:

My overall win rate went from 63% to 56%, but at least I have a North Carolina now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp what happened to Omaha's range? I can't shoot anybody after Phoenix, missing the critical 2 extra kilometers sucks big time.

Edit: where I can get these? Ships are a lot better skinning target because they have so many large surfaces :)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That looks like a NASCAR for manchildren.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
You can get those straight from hell.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

rossmum posted:

You've basically told the story for 80% of my matches... or everyone's for that matter.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Reading the patch notes while waiting for my client to update I saw this guys comment

quote:

make premships not pieces of floating poos please!

You just can't please some people eh.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Welp what happened to Omaha's range? I can't shoot anybody after Phoenix, missing the critical 2 extra kilometers sucks big time.

Edit: where I can get these? Ships are a lot better skinning target because they have so many large surfaces :)

why would you do this to yourself though?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You should ask in the FOG thread and then kill yourself.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

It's probably these right here. And don't worry, friend. I know all goons love anime and watch it every single day of their lives!

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 14, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyRD27yhjk

I'm just glad he's on EU and not NA.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The thing to do with the Kawachi is to avoid enemy battleships and instead try to get into slugfests with cruisers, which it utterly ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Michaellaneous posted:

You should ask in the FOG thread and then kill yourself.

Every time I've seen anyone playing that has "Fog_[Ship Type]_[Usually Something German]" as their screenname, they're utter dogshit.