Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Firing from within the cover of a smokescreen also. Not to mention right now you won't even see them if they are launched from a ship until they are nearly on you. You can maneuver to try to avoid but a well placed spread catches you in a slow ship in the middle of an inconvenient situation and you are boned.

Dumb firing from a distance and hoping someone manages to get hit as they are going through a lane has become common now too and smart when you think about it. If your torps have long range and you know you are firing into a common lane of travel just fire the poo poo and move on.

It was pretty common in Navyfield to have to brave a loving (layered) fan of long lance torpedoes at the start of any game when the japanese got going. Not sure if WoWs models different range on torpedoes between types/nations (or how much if so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Is there a limit on number of torpedoes or is it just the reload time?

Carrier view look like full on RTS-mode, somewhat annoying sound-effect from the waypoint marking, TDUNK TDUNK TDUNK.

Getting into a match with like 50% carriers (on perhaps only one side) would be... interesting? Does an equal number of carriers just poo poo on their battleship counterparts, or what's the "counter" besides other carriers/trying to cut them off with destroyers?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 11, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Figured that would be the case, how's the rewards for CV-fighters shooting down other planes? Or does every CV stock up on as many bombers as possible because it's most rewarding?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

On the positive side, World of Warships will have a completely implemented flight model for all warships.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Can hope for a fluke/test because otherwise :psyduck:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Noon PDT was what I read (1900 gmt) but you never know.

Wouldnt it be simpler to Open for 24 hours and draw a fixed random number from that than this pain in the rear end setup?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I take it this doesn't have the unified client like WT, so is it Euroland or Yankedoodle that's the goon go-to?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

MMB works for me on the starter ships, not sure which button cancels it out though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Actually the most missed NF feature (unless I'm missing an option somewhere) is the ability to name your ships, RIP HMS Refit :saddowns:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Encountered my first Carrier in my Erie and promptly sunk him, :getin:

Whoever recommended AP rounds and the whole citadel thing: Greato!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Enemy carrier left, friendly battleship chasing him down and ends the game by ramming him right in the flank; causing a massive explosion from both ships :iia:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Got up to the Independence now and I'm really enjoying RTS play, maybe now I'll also be able to outrun some dudes* too.

(*Not destroyers though, and all the destroyers are out to get me :ohdear:)

British armored deck carriers are going to be pretty interesting, but I wonder how they'll differentiate American and Japanese carriers. Less HP/AA but More speed/faster rearm time or something?

e: a DOOM counter for the Japanese carriers when hit, countdown until something *terrible* happens inside your ship :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 14, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Notice the damage on those two ships? The tiny slice? That was a full dive bomber hit

:allears:

I've noted two things that kinda bug me:
1) Dive bombers are kinda poo poo so far. Even if they hit they do pretty minimal damage even against soft targets (which are way harder to hit, so 1-2 bombs only) - sure knocking out a turret and lighting them on fire is "nice" but doesn't really compare to a torp spread hit. They're kinda faster and sturdier planes than the torp bombers with slightly less turn-around time as a result but I'm having a hard time justifying switching out a torp squadron for these guys (even if hitting a enemy carrier and shutting down their flight deck is kinda nice).
Rather have 2 torp squadrons double-teaming an enemy.
Maybe I only need to git gud with Alt-bombing for the tighter spread, but I've no idea how to pull it off unless the enemy is stationary/going in a straight line.

2) The matchmaker seems to overvalue higher tier battleships, to the point I've seen one side get a tier 6 BB and the other get 2-3 more destroyers, cruisers or combined with an extra carrier. I find the extra destroyers a lot more handy to say the least and I don't think I've yet see the outnumbered team win thanks to the stronger BB.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Going up against the upgraded Saipan in my Independence made me realize quickly just how badly one tier higher fighters trump their lower tier counterparts. If the dude got more fighters on top of that he can just kinda shut you down for the game.

Or in my current unupgraded Saipan game vs Two Upgraded Saipans :suicide:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 15, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm a little surprised that the American carrier tree ends at the Essex rather than the Midway, with a gap in the IX spot. In the old blog spot the Essex had the IX spot and the Midway the X spot, is this change temporary until the Midway is modelled and done? That preliminary tech tree had the V: Bogue and no sign of the Saipan though...

e: Speaking of the Saipan, the 1946 upgrade that removes a bunch of AA guns to add 5 artillery guns - are those "secondary" (automated) and/or dual-purpose AA guns? Seems kinda weird to remove AA that late to add some dinky artillery on a carrier :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 15, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've consistently seen Destroyer aces top even my "good game" Carrier runs in tier 4-6, getting 1700-2200 xp, poo poo be crazy. Granted, those are the higher tier japanese destroyers that can just murder anything with their torpedo spreads...

Cruisers have a harder time versus battleships, what with being bigger targets with less torpedoes to launch (generally). You can get good hits on Battleships (see Citadel) but they are really big bags of HPs to take out with guns alone.

The natural predator of the Battleship is the carrier though, even if the Destroyer can shank them real good too given half a chance.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

From my sky god view of battles, secondary armaments rarely seem to hit anything unless it's really close and stays around for awhile - useful for finishing off nearly crippled enemies but not much beyond that. If a destroyer is *that close* 9 times out of 10 it's gonna murder the Battleship in short order.

Lower tier cruisers can feel a little so-so when half the targets in a game end up being battleships and the rest are destroyers (and cruisers) who both seem to be able to trounce you quite well (at least japanese destroyers can be fiendishly hard to hit "even" in a cruiser) while you can't do much against planes except maneuver like crazy and hope they miss.
Cruisers seem to get it a little easier once they get up in tier and starts mounting torpedoes and an assload of AA to hold off planes, while also becoming quite fast and nimble - I certainly don't bother with full health cruisers unless nothing else is around in my Saipan.
Battleships are supposed to be the "soft" counter to cruisers, and they certainly seem to have the hardest time dealing with Battleships (on their own).

Everyone and their daddy mounting AA guns up-tier really starts to become a pain for my carrier, because every run I'm losing planes and unlike everyone else you can't repair that loss of attacking power. Not uncommon to be out entirely (or have like, 1-2 left) of certain planes.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 15, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, I got like zero idea about how the Soviet/Russian line is going to play / stand out compared to its peers. Their ww1-mid war stuff always looked very weird to me and I'm guessing there's gonna be a ton of paper projects to fill out the higher end (even if some of those paper projects were actually laid down if not finished).

Any Russian navy experts?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Poil posted:

The game put my tier 6 carrier up against another tier 8 carrier, but this time I had a fellow tier 6 at my side. Our combined planes teamed up and got absolutely wrecked by the enemy carrier and his counter attack sank my teammate. Then his AA chewed up my last bombers and I was left with a clumsy battering ram until the enemy team had dominated all the capture points. gently caress this poo poo. :argh:

Someone did a comparison of fighter planes and besides the Buffalo which is like 130% more dakka than its earlier counterpart, the tier 8 and up are a further 50% more killy than the Buffalo (plus HP upgrades etc). They should probably look at those values.

Have an (american) destroyer video Cooked linked me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2yOdI9Dk8

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nordick posted:

Jesus christ, Japanese metal vocalists are the worst.

However I am glad to see phontomen has gotten into WoWS. Dude makes the most entertaining silly videos.

Yeah he got some other videos up to, with 100% less japanese vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBiQnliMpO8

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I like the American destroyers. You have to play super cautious and abandon a lot of attack runs but man it's rad to use smoke to cover a BB group and then nuke some unsuspecting cruiser.

I can't help but feel like they deserve a heal similar to BBs, though.

True Destroyer Grit -50% damage / ~3000 HP Health Regen over 20-30 seconds.
Alternatively: Need For Speed 3x Speed Boost but -75% maneuvering ability for 10 seconds. 150 knots as your Destroyer gains a massive wake~ heyoo :captainpop:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

In my Saipan I've really noticed the step up in AA, attacking anywhere near a tier VI cruiser is just "whelp gonna lose 1-2 planes and he'll probably use that ability that makes 1 squad freak out and miss entirely", which extends to any nearby juicy battleships.

Likewise even a tier V carrier is a lovely idea to attack as long as they still got their fighters, but even their AA and quick maneuvering will really make any attack against them not worth it (because usually a carrier is also the target furthest away = drop in "flights per minute" or whatever metric you use for carrier attacks).

Destroyer AA isn't super deadly, but certainly annoying at tier VI. Probably lose planes just hanging around nearby and hitting destroyers is well... not easy.

Battleship AA isn't super, but it seems to be really long ranged so any attack run has to be set up further away and there's less time for last minute corrections.

Tier VII+ may become a giant pain in the rear end as more AA gets added, but maybe the upgraded fighters and bombers get even more health that more than makes up for it? :iiam:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

For the record I wouldn't mind it at all if cruisers got decent AA earlier than now, kinda part of their specific class kit except it's entirely missing (in any meaningful way) in tier 1-4 and not even tier 5 counts. The sooner pubbies learn that part of their job is AA duty the better, yes?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sure Gaijin will come up with Realistic Mode Naval Battles with stormy night battles where you spend 30 minutes maneuvering before even seeing ship smoke on the horizon.

On the plus side the gun/kill cam will be amazing :getin:

RIP 2017 or whenever.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

You used the words pubbies and learn in one sentence, back to sunday goon school with you.

Facing a Langley is not so bad with it's biplanes but the Independence is already a different beast. I also think that the relation between cruisers/BB and CVs is off by one tier. And it gets uglier with the Saipan and the mod 3 planes, because then you can launch 2 squadrons of TBs which have enough firepower to sink a Kongo in a single run if done properly.

I'm now in a Lexington and if left unmolested then my first strike usually sinks or at least badly cripples a BB. But - in the few instances where pubbies actually stuck together and cruisers used their barrage ability things became a lot harder and every strike could cost upwards of 50% of my planes.

I don't actually expect them to learn, but on occasion they'll end up doing the right thing just from random chance.

Not sure if I'll bother grinding up beyond maybe the tier VII carrier - the grind takes off real quickly about there and with the closed beta progress 95% getting wiped on release it seems like a smarter idea to try out different trees (if we had more dock slots).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So, in my Saipan hanging out in the western corner of that map with the central islands.

Things are not going well for the team, pretty much just me, another carrier and two battleships left vs half the enemy team.

And they got us cornered. Two enemy battleships to the north, halfway down the map heading straight for us. Two destroyers from the east, coming our way fast. Our own battleship goes of to try to salvage the cap.

We get the first destroyer through a combined effort of dive bombers, torpedo bombers (none hit) and secondary guns.

My torp planes, after rearming, make short work of the easternmost battleship.

Friendly carrier gets sunk. Second destroyer is up my rear end and launching torpedoes, I narrowly dodge - I get clipped by one though on the second attempt.

Remaining enemy battleship is now less than 7 km away and closing.

Enemy destroyer is turning towards my bow to finish me off.

The enemy is seconds away from capping our base.

There can be only one response.

gently caress you, Destroyer! Engage Ramming Speed, mr Sulu!

A Good Game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Carriers are much more fun than playing arty in World of Tanks, but I'd rather play the other ships. Some other nerds I know through a friend were playing a carrier division where one carried the fighters and the other carried the bombers. They cleaned up pretty well working together.

Oh, I didn't know that the cruiser AA barrage ability extended to other vessels.

I've not yet played a CL that far so I don't know exactly how it works from their end, but on my end they just make a squadron go "nope" and like double the spread of their attack pattern for quite awhile, regardless of target.

And yeah, seconding that playing a CV you don't get to really see much of the sweet ships up close, which is why I'll be running something else once release hits. Whatever crazy stuff the Russians end up getting will be... interesting.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tried to T-bone a stationary Wickes (Tier III DD) in my own Tier III DD, but it only resulted in me dying and him taking like 75% damage + flooding.

First time ramming hasn't caused both ships to explode so far :wotwot:

Unrelated but netted my first BB kill in a DD, he came out of the smoke screen like 400 meters away and took my torpedo bukkake head on.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

xthetenth posted:

The first battleships are to tier three and are the US and Japanese counterparts of the dreadnought, which is kinda like the katori, in that it doesn't have superfiring turrets like the South Carolina. I'm not sure if she's going to be able to get all three frontish turrets firing off the bow, that could be super neat, and she'll at least be able to fire with three while waggling her stern at destroyers. I think she's another design where turning away from the enemy is best like in the myogi, and being able to turn with about 3/4ths of your firepower available is nice and cheap compared to most battleships (I evaluate the cost of turns in how many salvoes from how many turrets I'll miss. I dislike evenly split turret layouts because turning masks half your guns as they slowly turn around)

Whenever the French gets in there's gonna be some sweet forward gun action on the Dunkerque (Slam Dunk from the Dunk). And if I remember my NF right, the British Nelson had a similar thing going on. Just be careful not to get any enemies on your rear end.

American battleships being slow as balls will hopefully be compensated by AA, but Torp bombers and DDs are gonna be a pain in the rear end regardless.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HMS Hood won't be in, but the HMS Howe (admiral class) will be.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wonder when the game's going to go into open beta, or release, for that matter? I enjoy playing it, but I don't want to play too much when I know all my neat toys are just going to get taken away.

Probably will have to wait for at least the remaining BBs and CVs to be put in, I believe that's when it will go at least open beta - followed by the Russian tree, then the German tree and finally the British tree.

A lot of the missing ships are supposedly done (and have been in previous testing?) but they are still working on them, so maybe not as long as we'd think.

I want to chill out too on the game, but will probably get hosed on some beta reward because you need to play a fantizillion of games to get that sweet sweet beta tester Motor Launch or whatever. Or they do a mid beta wipe and it doesn't count any of the previously played games, so :shrug:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Artless Meat posted:

Wait, they changed up the order again? I thought Brits were coming after Russians.

I've read both, so it's probably entirely up to Wargaming to decide if the Wehraboos will pay up more than the stiff upper lip crowd in this instance. Considering they went with *the russian navy* first you can kinda see their priority.

Also why I'm guessing this closed beta phase won't last *that* long, they want money rolling in asap.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Shallows would be nice, but obviously DDs need an ability that grants go-fast after-images more than anything else.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The only damage that needs buffing is dive bombers for CVs, travel time or rearm time could be tweaked if that isn't enough (there's some skills/upgrades for this though).

Biggest issue is the weirdo fighter DPS figures.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a mix of amazingly good names and amazingly bad ones.

HMS Immedicable
HMS Implantable
HMS Implausable
HMS Incircumcisable
HMS Insultable

HMS Manligheten still takes the cake for actual ship names. Captain: Johnny Bravo.

This being wargaming I fully expect all this crazy paper poo poo to be in as some sort of Tier X+ or Tier XI.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Matchmaking woes.png

At least we got a Langley and a... Nicholas...? No wait, they had a Minekaze too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It gets more complex once carriers and battleships really enter the mix (and everyone else get access to AA and torps), there's a couple of different game modes that don't show up early either.

I don't see how it's less complex than WoT gameplay, even if it's not super complex in itself.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The mechanics as I've identified them:
Plotting Movement & dealing with Terrain: Unlike tanks you are always on the move (unless you are a dumb pubbie), regardless of ship you need to plot out a course that will take you where you need to be, while avoiding the worst dangers. The "how" differs between the different classes.
Cap Zones/Different game modes: Do you need defenders? Should you mass forces? In random battles it's hard to control, but with ship divisions you can influence it.
Leading and targeting - Hitting poo poo with guns: Right, how to hit what you are shooting at. The obvious mechanic, but differs for carriers and how long ranged / slow firing your guns are.
Hitting the Citadel, part of "targeting" but good to keep in mind.
Angling your ship for maximum defence and offence: seems simple, but differs between ship configurations (even in the same class)
Defensive maneuvering in general
Fishing with Torpedoes: A whole different can of fish that also changes up between ships and classes. Torpedoes is the great equalizer, but a short ranged one (effectively).
The Air Game: Right, either you are in a carrier or you are trying to avoid getting hit by one, but everyone needs to learn how to defend against air attacks.
Capital ships vs Light ships or "How to sink a BB or a CV / Avoid those pesky fuckers".
Damage control: You are going to get hit, so when to use that damage control for best effect?
Forming up in Divisions/fleets and getting stuff done together.

Meta stuff:
Picking a class and getting real good at it
Leveling your captain
Picking ship configurations, matters more for some ships than others right now.

Did I miss anything? It's more complex stuff than World of Tanks, that's for sure. They could do more with ship upgrades/introducing more sidegrades, although some of that will come just by adding more ship classes/trees. Objectives and game modes could also have a little more depth to them, or at least alternative game modes that aren't quick random skirmishes.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 21, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just went up against a Nagato (or tried to) in my Saipan and man, that thing is crazy good. A ton of AA fire just melting my bombers before they can get in range, with high speed and maneuverability to make it even harder to get torp bombers into a decent position.

Maybe the upgraded torp bombers have a better chance, but carriers really seem the most Tier affected of all ships types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

It seems like at the furthest extent of your gun range, the slightest movement of the mouse makes a big difference if your shots are going to go too far/short/right on ("accelerated" mouse aiming?). This stops being an issue closer up.

e: If they are having trouble balancing 40k ton+ ships with 2k ton ships, they could pull a WT and have respawns for the lighter ships? Might need some reworking of certain game modes and a choice of spawn positions.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 23, 2015