Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I seem to have lost my knack for long-range battleship sniping. Now I straddle targets instead of actually hitting them. It might be more historically accurate, but it's not as fun! Did they stealth nerf BB gun accuracy or am I just a big loser nerd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Potentially good torpedo bombers dropping right on you, so they don't exist before that.

The funniest thing was the carrier driver who tried so hard to drop an impossible-to-evade spread by waiting until the last second, except the torps dropped literally right on me and just kept on truckin' off into the wild blue yonder.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The other day the carrier shitters kept focusing another Fuso I was rolling with.

56 planes shot down.

That's even better than the 46 I got in the Atlanta before CBT came up.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Jesus man I know being wrong about everything is like, your gimmick and all, but this is a bit much.

You have torp tubes mounted along both sides of your ship. I shouldn't need to tell you what to do with this.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

God dammit Demon. All I've found so far is artefacting, floating trees (which got removed anyway, RIP), and then I saw Nevzing run into an invisible wall in open water which was loving hilarious.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Super quick and dirty but :catdrugs:

a level beyond dazzle camo

:allears:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I dunno if someone mentioned it and I missed it, but WG just posted a "wink wink" desktop background of the KM Bismarck on the WoWS Facebook page.

If they add that thing before the US BBs and IJN carriers I am going to die.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Clemson still owns just as hard as I remember.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Just unlocked my Yamato (again).

Also, Iwaki OP:

Kumas (and by extension, Kitakamis) are ridiculously easy to citadel.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I ran into a Kitakami+2 Fubuki platoon today. There was just this permanent cloud of smoke in the 8-line of North machine-gunning torpedoes in all directions. It was some Serious poo poo.

:allears:

Also I don't understand the furious sperging over the aim mod. Given enough time in a ship, judging lead becomes second nature. Ask the Yamato I slammed for 46k damage in one salvo from my Amagi yesterday.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Another huge match in the Iwaki. This thing is stupid and I hope it never, ever gets nerfed.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Huh. In my experience being a better japanese light citadel isn't good enough to take it up to the standards of stuff like the clemson.

It's fast, turny, gets smoke, and has a lot more in terms of guns than DDs of its tier. If you know how to lead to hit citadels consistently, especially at the edge of your range where most pubbies really struggle to even connect, you will butcher everything.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah. It happened again today. Frogboat supremacy.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Replays work now, sort of, so here's some frogboat antics and my first game back in Yamato. Right click -> save as.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

pun pundit posted:

After watching those replays by Rossmum I don't know what the gently caress any more. In close range brawls I shoot AP and aim at the waterline of the flush sides of the enemy between their turret mounts, but I seem unable to get any citadel penetrations. Is there great armor differences between tiers? Is there One Weird Trick Discovered By An Ozzie, the IJN Hates Him? What am I likely to be doing wrong?

IJN cruisers, especially at tiers 2 through 4, are made of paper and react very badly to being shot. They are also (except Yubari) three- or four-stackers which gives you a pretty easy aiming reference to punch the poo poo out of the boilers. Pubbies in them also tend to fire HE out of the mistaken belief that it's better at killing cruisers (it's not, as long as you can aim). As a result, I two- or three-salvo them, they barely scratch me.

Also turret barbettes can be a pain, boiler/engine rooms seem to be much easier to hit and penetrate, for me at least.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

God drat I go away for a while and come back to find NTRabbit's actually made a post which is not only factual but also funny. Jesus.

I ran into a wall (my own stupidity and ineptitude) on destroyers so I started down the IJN cruiser line, because I'd rather have a pretty ship than an effective one :nyoron:. I'm up to Aoba right now and I quite like it. I'd like it more if my team didn't repeatedly do everything in their power to get me killed, though. It's even worse in my Yamato. Oh, you're in the biggest battleship ever built? Great! You can fend off the entire loving enemy team while all the rest of us piss about in the far corner of the map looking for carriers that aren't there!

I like raked funnels and I cannot lie

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

My first sign of trouble was three cruisers barrelling down that strait, which I didn't really expect. I would've gladly duked it out with one, maybe two, but three? The moment your planes turned up and I noticed Dalael, I knew I was done. RIP.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Dalael posted:

I guessed the Nazi flag because I've seen so many people crying about this issue over the years. Apparently, not having a nazi flag breaks their immersion.

I actually do like having historically accurate flags on everything that should have them, but I am the kind of autist who freaks out about reproduction things over originals and poo poo like that. Straight up, IJN ships look wrong without a Rising Sun, not least because they still fly it to this day.

What always irked me (other than the thinly-veiled adoration most of the swastika krew exhibit) was wanting to plaster the drat things everywhere instead of just where they're appropriate, a la Call of Duty's frankly insane treatment of the hammer and sickle.

e: Not arguing for inclusion in the game by default, obviously. People have already made mods that put the Rising Sun in (which I got as soon as I found it), and I guarantee they'll do the same for the Germans.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I dunno why but I found the Amagi to have quite nice gunnery, I rarely missed with it. Its other really noteworthy trait is exploding if I manage to land an 18" broadside on it at 20km or more.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

"Friendly" Hatsuharu smokes an entire channel, then drops torps into it. Blindly, at nothing. From behind me. As I'm executing an S-turn to drop my Aoba's torps at an actual target and then reverse course away from land.

First he claims he launched them in front of me and I caught up to them, swearing up and down that the 34kt Aoba is faster than his Hatsuharu's 59kt torps. Okay.

Next game, he's on the enemy team. It's maybe 30 seconds before he notices me, and begins howling over allchat again. This time, he claims I was making an unpredictable, suicidal turn onto a beach and so there was no way he could've known. Wrong again, he launched torps as I was beginning my turn from the opposide side of the channel. I had plenty of room.

Finally, it's my fault for not paying attention and he is blameless and he will kill ANYONE who isn't paying attention. I suggested he start with himself. :shrug:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Ultimately the whole thing is determined by the fact that non-educational depictions of the swastika are illegal in enough important jurisdictions that it makes financial sense to remove them, whereas other flags are not

Yeah this pretty much. We could turn this into a long discussion over exceptionalism and the ramifications of trying to lock up unpleasant chapters of history in the broom closet, but this isn't D&D and I'm not Adam Curtis.

Also, that Austria-Hungary sperger on the forums is either legitimately brainwashed or realises he's full of poo poo, yet actually thinks he is going to persuade a forum full of other autists that "ships aren't that different really" and so a WWI-era dreadnought could hold up against Yamato and Montana. Yikes.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 8, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Mogami is wonderful :allears:

I think my first tree after release may well be IJN cruisers.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Locator posted:

I shot a Rossmum and I liked it.

:smug:

I don't know what came over me that game, but I'm curious to see if the patch makes my retarded BB playstyle actually viable.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Be me!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Magni posted:

Also, get yourself a macro that inputs a single left click every 0.7 seconds, so you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vxOXan8YQ

Hold left mouse :ssh:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I don't know why destroyers keep getting poo poo on when they are lucky to contribute against anything but the very worst lobotomites, the kind who beeline their Yamato into the ice field in the south of Islands of Ice and then make no course or speed changes when a DD is lit within torp range of them. They are a non-issue to any battleship player whose IQ is above the mid double digits.

Carriers, on the other hand, are loving filthy the moment their drivers learn not to use the automatic bombing runs. If there is one class that very clearly needs to be put under the microscope, it's them. Cruisers are fine except for a few stand-out examples we're all familiar with, BBs have some issues but nothing too obnoxious, and DDs need help.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I, uh... I...

Replay :staredog:

I have no loving clue how this happened. I was spaced out completely for the duration of the match mulling something over in my head. I think I need to try and replicate this...

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Just walk your fire onto the waterline under funnels at a range where your shells are arcing slightly when they hit :shobon:

As for knowing where to lead, I've got a pretty good feel for the Mogami's guns now so it's pretty much point and shoot, correct by as much as needed. The lead mod really doesn't seem like a big deal to me because my brain is practically the same thing, the only time I tend to miss is if a ship is moving at a funky angle or constantly changing course and speed at long range.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Locator posted:

Mogami chat. Keep the 155mm guns or go to the 203mm and 1/2 the fire rate? I unlocked it tonight and played 3 games (won 2) and I like it. Fantastic turn rate and feels very nimble. I've got the hull upgrade and just got the range thing after my last game. I have enough xp to do the torpedoes or guns, or wait another game or two to unlock the next hull upgrade. I really like the firing rate, but not sure how the 155's will hold up after the patch drops.

I prefer the 6" guns. More shells in the air and higher rate of fire means more chance of hitting, and more hits over time. Keeping a constant rain of shells on pubbies has a bit of a stunning effect on many of them, too.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The new sounds and graphical changes are fantastic. I think sinking ships could use a little more looking at - especially when they sink in shallow water and magically quantum tunnel through the seafloor - but the oil slicks and escaping air are a nice touch that WoT also has, despite rarely ever seeing a drowning close up by comparison.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

God drat this game is looking good now.

Warspite with some jenga towers in the background:

And some :britain::hf::911:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Gremyashchiy is pretty much my favourite thing in this game and I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

While googling the A-140-J2 to see what I could find for drawings, I came across this gem, from Facepunch:

Accurate.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Nah, those are the super structures from the su-100y I'm pretty sure.

Correct!

Durendal posted:

Did you find anything? I spent about an hour last night doing the same. I concluded Wargaming used some sort of black magic and got copies of the sketches from the Japanese.

Some pretty basic stuff. The funny thing is that I've come across several drawings with all three turrets facing ahead, which would make it a much better ship in WoWS, but WG went with the third turret facing aft. To be fair, the Japanese tended to use that layout more (Furutaka, Myoko, Takao, Tone), so I guess it's more believable?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I am hyped as poo poo for Soviet destroyers. Tashkent looks every bit the part of GOFAST SHOOTFAST hellchariot. Actually, speaking of Slavs and fast destroyers, I really hope the RN get Błyskawica as a prem. :getin:

Battleship chat: just got a new PB for damage. 200k in Izumo, almost all primaries. The ship is actually not bad, it looks goofy as hell though. The superstructure looks like some kind of demented sex toy and the hull structure is like a patchwork quilt.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Carriers are even less fun to play than ever now.

Good :getin:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

Also, anyone else in here from NDP back in world of tanks?

Several of us!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Having a surprisingly good time in the NM. Not a bad ship, even if it is ugly. :colbert:

e: :japan:

Patch broke the Rising Sun though, RIP

rossmum fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

US DD/CA firing HE are absolutely filthy. I got four fire icons earlier from a Farragut and Cleveland firing at my Warspite. I'd only seen three up to that point.