Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just started playing this today and I'm finding the starter American ship to be a whole lot more fun than the Japanese ship; even after unlocking all of the modules and upgrading everything.

Following my play "style" in World of Tanks, I have my ship alternating shell types between full battery shots and that seems to really gently caress things up for whoever I'm shooting.

Citadel hits with AP followed by some HE landing in the same general area seems to do the most damage (or just directing HE at their guns if I'm going by too fast). Also, full speed ahead charges at someone while turning at slight angles in between shots, then killing acceleration as I pass (they always hurry to get out of the way) and going full broadside until they're dead is fun.

I haven't gotten very many kills in a match this way because usually after the first person dies while I do that three or four other ships gang up on me and I sink rather quickly (unless the person I did this to was distracted by a bunch of other boats on my team attacking them at the same time).

I'm getting a lot of laughs out of the chat rage if an AP salvo hits the Citadel at anything farther than 3km away though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Unlocked the first US destroyer.

How close should you be for torps to have a chance of hitting someone? I've tried firing one launcher directly at the current location and leading with the second launcher on a side by about a ship length from 6km away, but the enemy always seems to dodge them somehow by either turning directly toward them and going between them or by simply outrunning the lead.

I managed to get directly next to an enemy ship and loose them once yesterday, but they survived that killed me as I was switching to guns and unloading.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does AA have to be toggled on? Because as best I can tell all my AA gunners are eating lunch/taking a nap or something.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gort posted:

If you're low-tier, it's because low-tier ships have gently caress-all AA.

Finally unlocked the St. Louis and I get dropped in battles that have 3 carriers on each team throwing bombers everywhere. It's ridiculous.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've been sending my Erie out on waypoint runs with the Map and somehow or other having some pretty fun rail-riding games.

Set a path that goes to the cap or the first domination point, then have the remaining 4 points doubling back on a line inside the cap/going to each domination point in turn. Shoot at any enemies spotted. Die and/or have a glorious match in the confusion. Re-set the waypoints if I survive long enough/the match lasts long enough to need it.

Granted, this is Tier 1 where everyone is dumb, but it's still good for practicing leading targets while the ship is going through a turn and shooting over the tops of islands at enemies within range.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Stupid question: Should the St. Louis fire AP all the time?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Unlocked the Tenryu, first match out was utter carnage after loving up and beaching against an island because I wasn't watching where I was going (put in reverse, ship couldn't pull itself off the shore).

Was still somehow able to launch torps and fire all guns at every red ship I could see. Got some odd 50 hits and a bunch of floods and fires and citadels (only 2 actual kills though) before finally getting killed by torps from a destroyer that buzzed thru the death zone. The rest of my team was helping keep the heat off of me by concentrating fire on whoever I was firing at while the enemy team just kept piling in and trying to kill me because I couldn't move.

It was great.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
First match in the North Carolina, amazingly fun match where I followed cruisers on my team and focused on whoever they focused on (only got to unload maybe one battery each ship before it was taken down).

Match was still brutal, in that everyone but me and another battleship on the enemy team were left alive at the end and I was chasing them around the island in their capture zone.

Ended up dying from full health because of magazine detonation, they survived with a sliver of health and the enemy team won (my first battery set a bunch of poo poo on fire and their first shots missed me, but they reloaded faster than I did and took me out).

All in all, it was pretty fun other than being slow as hell to do anything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ive tried to get to like the furutaka. I've got all its equipment unlocked and mounted, taken the main battery, gunnery accuracy and steering upgrades and habitually take the paint job that fucks with the enemy accuracy.

Its poo poo. A giant steaming loving pile.

In another game where I was using my Kuma in order to farm free XP, two sorry bastards in furutakas tried to cap the flag I was prowling around. I felt like I was The Mountain vs Oberyn, smashing them to gently caress with ease.

Its made of shell-magnetic glass and fires once a month. That thing has no place in T5.

Is ramming someone a viable tactic for it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tahirovic posted:

See but this kind of highlights how loving broken the game is right now. And I am actually being serious here.
As a battleship you need to close distance or you wont hit poo poo except other battleships, you'll slowly die to HE spamming cruisers you can't hit. If you go in close and your team doesn't support you, you die to DDs instead. Or even better you get nuked by a loving CV and can't do anything about it either.

You just can't have a class that is weak to all others and the only strenght BBs have right now is nuking DD with secondaries or citadeling cruisers who are too retarded and get too close so you can actually hit them.

I managed to drive over an enemy DD with my South Carolina because they had enough dispersion on their torps that I was able to just run right through the middle of their broadside and they were too dumb to move.

The rage there was pretty funny, but I don't have any screenshots.

Also had a match in my Wickes where I took out a cruiser and two other destroyers because they were scoped in on somebody else on my team and not looking around as I got close and torped them, that was amazing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Am I wrong to hate the South Carolina? The match is always over by the time I get anywhere, good loving god it's slow.

Every match, someone is all "CAP A" and when everyone listens and I'm following them, they've capped A and moved on to B before I even get halfway, so I turn toward B, but then that spot is capped and they're cruising on to C while I'm just sitting there all :wtf:

Had a match yesterday where this was happening and my team was getting slaughtered at B while my SC was puttering it's way toward B at 20 knots (top speed), then pubbies are yelling "Hurry the gently caress up, WW, christ!" and my "This is the top speed for this ship, guys." remarks are ignored and people just spend the match swearing in chat about the ship being useless.

Also, no AA on the ship, so any match with a carrier on the enemy team results in me being sunk in short order after being spotted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also, is there any way to find out the range you have to be in for secondary guns to open up? The South Carolina I've been using finally started firing secondaries yesterday when I got within 2km of another battleship and that's literally the only time I've seen other guns on one of my ships open up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
When do US Battleships get to be less of a pain? I'm currently in the Wyoming after slogging through the South Carolina.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm just getting a little weary of pubbies abandoning me as soon as the enemies are spotted (and enemy teams dogpiling on me as soon as I'm spotted; last match I played yesterday had 3 destroyers, 2 cruisers and another battleship firing on me at the same time while the cruisers and destroyers that were following me bugged the gently caress out and ran back to the other side of the map without firing a single shot at the enemy).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That is definitely a clock.

"Hey, South Carolina, what time is it?" :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Green Dam posted:

I have noticed that pubbie battleship players tend to have heavy tank complex. In that they spend most of their time hiding or running away instead of using their HP and armor to engage a weaker enemy. The rest of the time is spent complaining about torpedoes.

My experience in the Wyoming is that pubbie players expect me to be invincible and won't support me during my long reload times while I'm getting hammered by enemy return fire (I play fairly aggressive for how slow that boat is by picking a capture point and going to it and wishing some destroyers or cruisers would go with me for support).

I did have two games yesterday where the luck of the draw had me going to the same point everyone else decided to go to and we smoked the enemy team, but that was incredibly unusual.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Finally unlocked my first CV. The Langley.

It's... not fun. Launch bombers and fighters, order the fighters to protect the bombers and order them to attack an enemy Wyoming that was spotted by a suicidal DD.

Sit around and watch the map.

Get blown up.

It's like the SPG in World of Tanks. So boring.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

deratomicdog posted:

These early german cruisers are terrible.

The Dresden has been pretty fun, actually. But I've been in matches where at least two others would be on the same team as me and we'd roll around the map together with one of us constantly keeping an enemy on fire, the other sending a stream of AP and the third setting another enemy on fire until we can switch to that one after sinking the first ship we target.

Having enough guns to basically keep a constant stream of shells coming in is pretty fun.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Elmnt80 posted:

So, starting off a match with "You're gonna get rekt like paris on a friday night" results in some hilarious threats and insults. :v:

EDIT: Oddly, the response to taking an atlanta into a match and saying "I'm gonna be shooting down planes like they're full of russians over egypt" doesn't get nearly as much of a response.

Back on Veteran's Day I was saying things like "Yeah, God Bless all of our socially acceptable Welfare Queens" whenever someone said "God Bless our Veterans!" in chat and immediately getting TKd and a lot of angry ranting from other people in the game.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Had a match yesterday in the tier 3 russian destroyer where I joined to someone on my team dumping all of their shells into the side of my ship, setting me on fire and almost killing me.

So naturally I had to switch to torpedoes and dump all five launchers at them (only two torps actually hit, but they hauled rear end running away from me and dodging the remaining torps until they were out of range of me after that).

Went on to kill an enemy Clemson and put a hurting on a South Carolina, but drat, that match could have been so much better if it didn't start off with me losing 70% of my health to a jackass on my own team.

Also, I've been playing with headphones and getting the stern "DON'T DAMAGE YOUR TEAM MATES!" shout was funny.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cobbsprite posted:

And for the love of all things godly, is it just me or are carriers next to loving useless?

It really depends on how skilled the enemy team CV is.

Had a match yesterday in my Langley where I was able to send my first fighter squadron against the enemy carrier's planes and shoot them all down (all fighter and bomber squadrons) since they never had their squads hang out near their ally DD ships that would help them out.

From there it was a matter of just sending out my bombers and killing any ship I wanted because the automated AA never seems to be able to take out a bomber squad before the torps are dropped.

Probably the best match I've had in babby's first carrier. Hoping the next tier carrier is better though because holy poo poo it's easy to get clobbered in the Langley if you're ever spotted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wish I had a replay of a match I had in the Clemson yesterday.

I finally got into a match where nobody on either team knew what they were doing and drove straight over to their CVs, torped them both to death, then murdered a Furataka that was helplessly driving in circles after my first salvo hit the tail end of it, and a Wyoming and South Carolina that couldn't hit me for poo poo while I strafed them just out of range of their secondaries.

poo poo was awesome and will probably never happen again. :negative:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My experience has been that I'm either matched up against an entire team of people that know what they're doing vs. my team being morons, or I'm on the team of people that know what they're doing and the other team is full of morons.

There is never any middle ground, hard played victory. One side or the other gets curb stomped.

Enemy CV players are almost always stupid though. If nobody on their team stops me, I can get right up to their secondary turret range and broadside dump torps at them after setting their runways on fire, no problem.

Gun dispersion doesn't bother me, but I'm one of the people that liked shotgunning with the KV-2 derp gun over in World of Tanks (before I got bored of that game and started playing this one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
drat, I suck.

http://warships.today/player/1000025264/na/WadeWilson