Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So carriers - are USN planes that much superior to IJN planes? Because IJN carriers consistently get more flights than their USN counterparts, or is it balanced out some other way? Are IJN carriers flaming death trap glass cannons where US ones can take a bit more of a beating maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just got a Langley to join the ranks of dishonourable shitters, is there a way to drop torps at ranges closer than the edge of the circle? I'm fairly sure people have done that to me, but that could just be my imagination I suppose.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What is a "manual" drop exactly? I've heard people throwing the term around a lot, but I don't understand what it means, you can click a target to order an attack, and it happens automaticly, so presumably that is a non manual attack. What else can you do that is a manual attack then?

E:nvm, I found some videos.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 18, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I haven't played with goons yet, but I could EU it up if there's others.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In every conceivable way.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

El Disco posted:

It's not so bad at high tiers because the Fletcher and Gearing both get really good torpedoes.

Having just got to the abomination that is the Mutsuki and promptly lost all my enthusiasm for IJN DDs, it seems like US DDs start getting good as the IJN ones drop off. Unfortunately there's some real duffers you have to get through to arrive their.

Also, does anyone know roughly how long until the next nation, whatever that might be, is released? Are we looking at months or years? I remember in WoT it took ages, but WoT had a year long "closed" beta, and maybe this time round they have the resources to make it happen much faster.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Razzled posted:

I was reading up on some fun facts regarding ASW thanks to some mentions of it in this thread and I'm glad to have learned Congress has pretty much always been full of gently caress ups:

The deficiencies of Japanese depth-charge tactics were revealed in a press conference held by U.S. Congressman Andrew J. May, a member of the House Military Affairs Committee who had visited the Pacific theater and received many intelligence and operational briefings. May mentioned the highly sensitive fact that American submarines had a high survivability rate because Japanese depth charges were fuzed to explode at too shallow a depth.

Soon, Japanese forces were resetting their depth charges to explode at a more effective average depth of 75 m (250 feet), to the detriment of American submariners. Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood, commander of the U.S. submarine fleet in the Pacific, later estimated that May's revelation cost the United States Navy as many as ten submarines and 800 seamen killed in action.[16]

:smith:

He was a real lovely piece of work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May

Obligatory pubbies.png

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what is that saying exactly? That on the russian servers, 17.8% of the total hp lost by T9 battleships is due to fire? Or is it something else?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I've been playing for about 32 days now, and have the Ranger. How long will it take to get Midway if I'm playing approximately 15 hours a week? I saw in the stat study there were only 5 players in NA that have it?

Edit: I have premium.

I don't think its the hours as such that are stopping people getting it, it's your tolerance for carrier matchmaking bullshit. Personally mine ran out at the Bogue, but if you have made it to the Ranger maybe you can go all the way.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ranbo das posted:

Looks like we get the Albany (T2 US cruiser) and a free port slot for WG's anniversary. Code to redeem it is (you guessed it) ALBANY. Really it's more like 375k silver and a post slot though because it's a terrible ship.

Haha, EU server gets 2x instead of 1.5x for 3 days. :saddowns:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ranbo das posted:

Also works on EU and SEA from what I've heard

Oh, so it does. Thanks for the info. Also anyone who can't get behind the Phoenix and Omaha are beyond any kind of help or understanding.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
lol at anyone who went into a game with the Albany and didn't immediately sell it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

Am I right in thinking I should just sell the free Albany and use the slot for an aircraft carrier?

Well, you're half right.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I feel like HE spam on a BB should knock its secondaries and AA, leaving it vulnerable to others in your team, but it shouldn't really do much very actual HP damage.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what's up with the Atago? Is it not worth getting, it seems to preform decently from what I've seen of it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I started at T5, yes

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

TehKeen posted:

Here is a lot of good mechanical information about the game:

Spotting

Damage Mechanics

AA Functionality

Matchmaking

Skycancer

AA is multiplicative. Can't wait to get all of the AA upgrades on my US cruisers/captains. :getin:

I also think that this might mean that the Atlanta with Defensive Fire is one of the best AA platforms in the game, in terms of raw damage output (which is fitting, as a lot of people call them CLAAs. :) )

Are you sure underwater pen is still a thing? I though it got removed at the end of CBT, but I could be wrong. I'm sure I've been in situation where I should be getting underwater penned if it was possible and haven't been.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

Are camo paints worth it? I get the feeling they arent but I thought Id check.

Extremely worth it. 12k is nothing, and the detection one for DDs is vital and even cheaper.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
According to the description it is the shortest range BB in the game, so :stonk:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They haven't got round to it yet, and/or they want to encourage you to spend gold for free exp since it will feel like a waste if you don't do something with it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The problem is, as you say, if there is an IJN DD between you and your target that you didn't know was there.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

LegoMan posted:

How the hell can you guys actually make your long range shots do what you want besides "hit enemy". I see talk about arcing shots hitting the waterline or deck and for me anything past 4K if I even hit it's a God-damned miracle.

Certainely in a BB it's a moot point, but in something like a fully upgraded Clevland its possible provided your target is sailing in a straight line

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure how the skill interacts with AA and secondary batteries. Those usually take damage and then are destroyed, they don't normally crit like other stuff. If the skill gives them a chance to avoid getting damaged, then its a lot better than I thought. But this is WG, so maybe it just magically does nothing. Who knows. There's no way to know when the skill is working, which is a problem.

It might even make things worse by keeping the AA guns around to take hp damage for longer. Who knows.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

I am so bad at the Wyoming. I actually quite enjoyed the South Carolina, but the Wyoming I just can't be good in. Anyone got any advice, or should I just give up on BBs and go back to DDs and CA/Ls.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I do stupid poo poo like that all the time, I really really wish they would make your own smoke more visible.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Are us EU goons still using the 2PAC TS server ? Getting kinda lonely on EU.

I'm on most nights, I haven't been on TS much since I've mostly been playing with non goon friends, but feel free to add me in game, Rudi_Starnberg.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

James Garfield posted:

Huh. Apparently this patch adds models and stats for USS Worcester :swoon:, some US cruiser with 4x3 8" guns and torpedo launchers, the Kamikaze class destroyer (looks like a premium Minekaze) and a Pensacola as originally built.
I can't say no to the tier 10 looking ships, especially a tier 10 light cruiser, but I can't see the other two being anything but :geno: premium ships.

Which Worcester are you talking about? The only one I know had 6x2 6" guns and kind of sucked, mostly because the guns were heavily optimised for AA but were too big and slow to be any use against jets and too AAish to be much use for anti surface fire.

But she did manage to waste a few million bucks (ineffectually) engaging some geese once.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

cheese posted:

I think they realized the Des Moines as is isn't balanced very well and it seems like the Worcester will replace it. Both US/IJN tier X heavy cruisers will then feature 4x3 8" batteries, although I thought it didnt have torps?

Worcesters didn't have 4x3 8" guns either though, they had 6x2 6". And no torpedoes either.

E: If they think the Des Monies is over performing (it probably is) just knock the ROF down a little. Removing it entirely would be typical wargaming balancing though I suppose.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 15, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
BBs may or may not be the easiest class for people to play, but they are definitely the class to which idiots gravitate in my experience.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah I was wondering about that too, CVs can only launch and recover when steaming at >25kts in a straight line. Making them do it into the wind would be too much for this game though I think.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

toadee posted:

FYI good CV players do not hide in map corners. Being closer means getting in more attacks. Good CVs will be looking to move up as quickly and closely as possible behind a winning flank. This also means that great CV players like Gaishu have a slightly lower survival rate than you'd expect because they will sometimes get caught out and blapped for it.

Yeah but they move up and hide behind an island. If they had to be at speed they couldn't do that. If they are good enough to be charging around at 30kts, not getting spotted, staying close to the frontlines while managing their groups effectively then honestly they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
5 fat old weirdos on a rusty tramp trawler, a fitting tribute.