Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Read the OP. Thinking of picking up this game. Do we have a strong NA presence? Anything I need to know when I'm going in? Anything like don't pick arty as your first tree in WoT or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TehKeen posted:

It's hard to go wrong with the American cruiser line. (caveat I've only played through T6 and like two CBT games in my pepsicola).

Shoot HE at DDs, Turn into air-launched torps (keep your bow pointed at the incoming bombers), press alt to show range and time to target info (or turn on the alternative battle interface or w/e it's called in options). If you're in a BB, shoot AP always except at DDs.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOL-NwvY4MM

American cruisers tend to not have torpedoes like their Japanese counterparts right? That's kinda lovely...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Can you permanently turn on the alternate battle interface? Sometimes I have trouble telling if I'm shooting at a cruiser or a battleship.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I got the St. Louis and I've yet to survive a battle. I keep getting stuck in and then dying when my allies either run, or die. Every so often though I'm caught in the middle of a bunch of enemy ships since the only thing ships can do is go forward, they have no reverse, and they have to keep moving to survive and so I keep moving forward.

How do I stop dying?

I try go go around the corners to shore up the sides especially since the battleships are going down middle, but sometimes I go the route I'm closest to only to find that no one else on my team had gone that way and then I die horribly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Hang back a little and watch where the Pubswarm goes. Stick with them and never be the first one in, the first guy in gets focused on, even if you're the first one in on a flank.

Always follow the swarm huh? Ok got it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wasn't paying attention and I got oneshot by a torpedo while in a destroyer. gently caress. :negative:

Edit: American destroyers are hard to use thanks to the short range on the torpedoes. I'm having a lot of difficulties.... I can't just sit behind an island and wait to ambush someone because sometimes people just don't push.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

grrarg posted:

Which destroyer? Nicholas through upgraded Benson, the guns are the main weapon. Scout for a group of friendlies and play picket ship to gun down enemy destroyers. When your pubswarm starts fighting bigger ships, wait until the enemy is engaged with other friendlies then dance at max range firing every 5 seconds. The enemy will try in vain to shoot you, giving your dumb pubbies a better chance at survival. Plus you will be doing 1-2k damage every 5 seconds.

Torps are weapons of opportunity. Only try to use them if you see an enemy heading toward a chokepoint or if you can get on the other side of a solo battleship without being spotted. If the battleship has its guns turned the other way, pop turbo and sail straight toward it. Wait as long as you can to launch torps so the enemy cannot dodge them.

I'm on the Wickes at the moment.

I've been trying to use the torpedoes as more or less of a primary but closing distance is difficult even if I do ambush them since the range is so limited. Also I very often end up shooting another destroyer with the torpedoes right as he torpedoes me, and we both die violently.

I will try to play as a skirmisher as you suggest. I guess the high damage of the torpedoes on the American destroyers have a bit of false allure.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I just cannot get the Wickes to work. I need to get better at dodging because dancing at max range is just getting me riddled with holes. Maybe I need to make sure there are allies that are closer in range to the target? That way they get shot first, but if my allies nearby are cruisers that outrange me....

It doesn't help that I apparently also have poo poo aim with torpedoes.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man. I just had a game in my brand new Clemson. I carefully kept watch on my distance from enemy ships to make sure I wouldn't be detected and snuck nearly down the complete middle of the map to reach their carrier hiding in the far corner before detonating all of my torpedoes in it.

Then I killed a destroyer who came after me to help his carrier by cannon fire and a lucky spread of torpedoes.

Then I shot another destroyer trying to cap a point with my cannons. And then I died after critically wounding an enemy cruiser with my torpedoes and helping my team finish the enemies off for the win. The thrill was incredible. :swoon:

Edit: You guys basically use free experience as a little extra boost to your next new ship right? So it's not completely stock?

Edit: Any tips for the USN cruisers post St. Louis like the Phoenix? It's got less health but it's a lot faster.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 29, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TehKeen posted:

Phoenix and Omaha: stay at long gun range and spew your napalm loaded HE at enemy BBs while doing a serpentine. If you do it right and with a bit of luck you'll do 25k+ fire damage every round on top of the shel damage. Your torpedoes aren't your main armament and should only be used opportunistically. Laugh all the way to the duty free shop back at port. :v:

They are that reliable at setting fires?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TehKeen posted:

Due to the way they're situated you can continuously shoot your guns even while maneuvering so you can keep up a steady stream of fiery death. The fire chance is high enough that you'll get them to Pop their date co tro early, then you just burn them down.

Edit: ^^^^ :xd:

Never stop running in figure eights at varying speeds, got it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

Hahahahahaha
No.
It's like a slightly better armed Phoenix. That's about it. It's still much better tho. Just dont think that you can stop someone from penning you.

Also don't get the third hullupgrade.

Wait, why?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I love the Phoenix so much. And the Clemson. :allears:

Torpedoes are great for last ditch equalizers against a battleship that cornered you.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

orange juche posted:

The Phoenix's extremely flat trajectory makes for an excellent DD murderer, and also penetrates other cruisers quite well. I don't like the Omaha as much due to it having a higher arc on its guns.

Ah yeah, that's true too.

If so, then I will miss the Phoenix when I move on. I might actually come back and play this ship more later though. This and the Clemson are the first two ships to make me think that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Funnily enough the Arpeggio property, which "Fleet of Fog" is from, is actually really good. It just gets all the people linking it with Kancolle stuff as well since there are some very superficial similarities. As for Kancolle... regardless of how one feels about the property as a whole(mediocre at best), just about everyone agrees that the anime was absolutely terrible, for any number of reasons. Not even the funny bad, just bad.

The anime was pretty meh but I enjoyed the manga at least.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Why does the Nicholas LOSE guns when you upgrade the hull? :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gunfights with Japanese destroyers in my Nicholas is fun but it's hard to do since it spots you for the rest of its goddamn team, nearly negating one of the American DDs main advantages unless you catch the enemy DD in a real one on one situation which is really rare given the ranges on naval guns. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is it possible to citadel shoot battleships with a Phoenix or Omaha? Or am I better off just dumping HE in all situations? I haven't been able to get many citadel hits at all on BBs, but I've gotten a couple on other cruisers with AP rounds.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

loving Wargaming man. The grind is unreal.

5 kills. Lion's share of damage each time, if I didn't solo them. 1 assist. 30 points cleared off of a cap zone. Victory.

2,112 experience for my Omaha.

That's loving it?! I had forgotten how awful the crawl was for Wargaming games. :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

grrarg posted:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if the non-carrier playerbase came to an understanding and banded together against sky cancer. At the start of every game, it would be the sacred duty of the closest destroyer or cruiser with torpedoes to dunk their team's carriers.

Bans, probably, unfortunately. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The entire reason I play DDs is to slip past and dickstab skycancer. Well, and BBs. And because it's like playing a stealth game. But seriously, the number of times I've gotten multiple Langelys or Hoshos in a DD is great and hopefully it discourages them playing CVs.

That's the sad thing about American DDs. Your short range makes it difficult to dickstab BBs and carriers. You might be able to get one or two carriers, but if their team is anywhere near you, you will probably die in the process, successful or not.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, the Clemson is the best thing I've ever played for dunking on other DDs. Those double guns are laser accurate for Destroyer Thunderdome.

Yeah, the American DDs are good at Destroyer Thunderdome. But they aren't so good at attacking any other ships. And Destroyer Thunderdome in sight of enemy cruisers or even Battleships will also just get you mauled. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Insert name here posted:

they actually did this during the final CBT patch and it sucked rear end to play with

Good.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Aww man. Knife fighting two destroyers. Killed one, nearly kill the other, and then I turn the corner into a Kuma. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Krogort posted:

How viable could it be to grind destroyers by yolo-rushing the ennemy team and trying to torp the first big boat you encounter then surely die from the focused fire ?
If you can get someone to sink along with you it should be pretty good XP per hour played.

You'd probably die before you made it to certain torpedo range.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Sneaky Kettle posted:

So what's the deal with being on fire at higher tiers? Lost eight out of ten games tonight, mostly in battleships, and I was on fire for literally the entire time. As in, this:

Forever.

Once, I actually survived and got Dreadnought and Fireproof. But these goddamn Atlantas and Myogis and whatever the hell just set you on fire, and keep you on fire and I don't particularly enjoy it after hours of that. They just chase after you lighting you on fire over and over, and if you try to charge them and close the distance, you just die that much faster because they out-DPM you. Or they torpedo you.

This is terribly discouraging for playing my new Fuso. :rant:

What are we cruisers gonna do, shoot AP at you from less than optimal ranges? Might as well keep you on fire and citadel shoot other cruisers while our Battleships go to town on your flaming rear end. :smug:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Does anyone know what the experience penalty for playing Co-Op battles are? If it is low then it may not be a poo poo idea to get your first win out of the day in there just to get it out of the way/out of your head. If the penalty is high then maybe the mode is completely useless then.

Edit: Anyone have opinions on when you should start looking into upgrades for your ships? I feel like if you are going to spend a substantial time in that ship, whether to get to the next one or just because you like it, then it is worth it. The grind starts getting really substantial at tier 5 or so, so that may be a good time to start decking your ships out in battery enhancements and things like that.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

It looks to be close to 50% if not more, plus the fact that there are less botes for you to shoot. Doing almost nothing and then losing in PvP still nets me as much as an "average" win would in a bot match.

Ah, there we go then. gently caress that mode.

Pharnakes posted:

I started at T5, yes

Fair enough.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo the armor on a St. Louis is unreal. Or I'm just aiming poorly on them. Having trouble getting citadel hits on them even in my Omaha.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What's the way to fix Aslain's modpack that broke with the update? I changed the paths file to the new patch folder and moved the stuff over but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Can't IJN DDs ambush just as well as USN DDs? Usually your main source of damage in an ambush is your torps anyways.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

grrarg posted:

Battleships are not meant to be played as long range artillery. Sounds like you are not missing anything, except that pubbies battleships are terrible.

Stay with the cruisers as much as possible when they are faster. Soak damage for them with your huge health pool and heal. Shoot AP and prioritize enemy cruisers that show you their broadside. One good citadel hit will make them easy for your team to kill, if your salvo does not kill them. Never travel in a straight line at a constant speed so you are not an easy target for stealth torpedo attacks. If a destroyer is spotted coming towards you and you are outside of its torpedo range, turn and run. If you see torpedoes coming with no forewarning, turn towards them to minimize your profile as much as possible. Similarly, if you see torpedo bombers coming towards you, point your nose toward them and keep it there as much as possible. And by "see torpedo bombers coming" I mean start turning when they are 10km away, not as they are dropping the torps. Don't tunnel vision and pay attention to the minimap during your 30 second reloads.

Do those things and you will be better at battleships than 95% of pubbies.

Also, as a cruiser driver. For the love of God if you see a swarm of planes coming try to let your friendly USN cruisers get between them and you instead of just haring off in a random direction.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

:aaaaa:

I always thought it was so weird that all the US CAs were named after cities except the Phoenix, which was named after a mythical bird. That makes so much more sense now.

Did you not know the existence of the city? It's fairly large and shows up on the news occasionally...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I have applied ingame to the clan. I should be Artificer ingame as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I can't aim with the Cleveland at all, Jesus Christ. What can I pen with its AP rounds? I can occasionally get a few but it seems a lot less reliable than the Omaha's AP citadel hits.

I'm awful with the Cleveland when I was pretty good with the Phoenix and Omaha too. The turret traverse speed is also bad. Anyone have advice? Is the upgrade to the guns worth it? 1 more round per minute but 10 more seconds on turn time...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The gun upgrade is very much worth it. The upgrade also speeds up turret rotation enough to be able to keep the guns on target when dodging. Also the fire control is very good as being able to out range lower tier cruisers is a godsend against HE spam.

As for hitting just aim for the water level and go for it, but only against the sides of cruisers. Against battleships or the front/rear of cruisers HE spam is the way to go as you won't have the pen to punch through (RNjesus may say not)

Alright I'm just gonna give up on AP until a cruiser gives me their broadside and at fairly close range.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

JacksLibido posted:

I'm the exact same way, the Cleveland is my least favorite poo poo (apart from the furutaka) so far.

For some reason I just can't land hits with it. Ugh.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The grind gets kind of lovely around tier 4-5, and I imagine it just keeps getting worse. I don't know, because I just keep dropping into games now and then without really grinding the game.

Can't say I really like a lot of the stuff revolving around damage and armor. Fire is absolutely ridiculous. I almost never shoot anything but HE in my cruisers because it's guaranteed to set something on fire, which will force the enemy to blow their repair crew- So I can set them on fire again.

Meanwhile, in my battleship, I can consistently land shells on target... But I don't ever seem to do anything unless I hit them in the citadel. Meanwhile my big stupid ship is made out of kerosene and farts. There's not a lot I can do to mitigate the constant fires that gently caress me sideways the second I engage anything. I wonder why I even bother shooting AP most of the time.

Just like in Warthunder, unless you want to try competitive clan matches or whatever, there's no reason to rush for t10. Find a ship you like and play that ship and have fun. Otherwise, don't worry too hard about it. Nothing sucks the fun out of a game like throwing yourself at a ship over and over and crawling until you get it and having it be the focus of your gameplay until then.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man I feel bad when I can't even kill a destroyer in a Cleveland. I'm awful at this game. :( They just dodge so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Uh. I think I should've gone for the accuracy mod on my Cleveland instead of the AA mod.

gently caress I just hate planes too much. :negative: