Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

CitizenKain posted:

Its frustrating as hell having a carrier park some fighters near my destroyer, so I'm constantly spotted.

yeah. Carriers flat out shouldn't have massive indirect damage AND their own spotting capability.

e: AND same tier cruiser health AND be fast enough to run away when you actually catch them. It's like, hey you know how obnoxious artillery is in tanks? Let's remove RNG, but make virtually everything about it more annoying! :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

yaay posted:

yeah. Carriers flat out shouldn't have massive indirect damage AND their own spotting capability.

e: AND same tier cruiser health AND be fast enough to run away when you actually catch them. It's like, hey you know how obnoxious artillery is in tanks? Let's remove RNG, but make virtually everything about it more annoying! :dukedog:

Skycancer for life. L2play lol.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
because there's a lot of learning and playing involved in babby's first RTS micro minigame

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

yaay posted:

because there's a lot of learning and playing involved in babby's first RTS micro minigame

Powered by the salt from BB tears. Straight from the tap!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had a game earlier today where the Shokaku (top tier on the enemy team) drove up into range of my Mogami. BOOM.

Mogami's pretty boss, landing 12x hit salvoes is great.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Oh hey look what I found

Tier 8, 25sec reload, 69,300HP. She's only camo painted on her starboard side, port is almost all grey.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

rossmum posted:

Oh hey look what I found

Tier 8, 25sec reload, 69,300HP. She's only camo painted on her starboard side, port is almost all grey.
I was wondering why you died so fast that game - you were taking screenshots :)

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

cheese posted:

I was wondering why you died so fast that game - you were taking screenshots :)

NA, Ross just dies fast period

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

rossmum posted:

Oh hey look what I found

Ohshit, got a replay file to share?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo I just cannot get the Wickes to work. I need to get better at dodging because dancing at max range is just getting me riddled with holes. Maybe I need to make sure there are allies that are closer in range to the target? That way they get shot first, but if my allies nearby are cruisers that outrange me....

It doesn't help that I apparently also have poo poo aim with torpedoes.

Get situational awareness on your captain (t1 skill), then get good at getting as close as possible to enemy ships without getting spotted. Wait outside their spotting range for them to get distracted or go near something you can use to block LOS, then hit the gas, get inside your torp range and drop torps then burn a turn away until you're outside the spotting range again.

American DD's are have good guns for a destroyer but your torps are the real killers. Get good at stealth attacks and you'll start having fun. The guns are there for when you just CAN'T get in to drop torps, dropped torps and are pressing an attack, or for times when you just can't sneak up on someone.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

OSad posted:

Ohshit, got a replay file to share?

It didn't really do anything, all the enemy BBs hosed off to the other flank and so he just kind of milled around taking shots every now and then. If I see another and it actually engages much, I'll post one.

(I was also tabbed out for like 80% of the match uploading those screens.)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

rossmum posted:

It didn't really do anything, all the enemy BBs hosed off to the other flank and so he just kind of milled around taking shots every now and then. If I see another and it actually engages much, I'll post one.

(I was also tabbed out for like 80% of the match uploading those screens.)
Don't worry, we capped out and won because all of their top tier BB's decided to hug the top of the map and hide :iiam:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Welp, he ain't on my team this time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man. I just had a game in my brand new Clemson. I carefully kept watch on my distance from enemy ships to make sure I wouldn't be detected and snuck nearly down the complete middle of the map to reach their carrier hiding in the far corner before detonating all of my torpedoes in it.

Then I killed a destroyer who came after me to help his carrier by cannon fire and a lucky spread of torpedoes.

Then I shot another destroyer trying to cap a point with my cannons. And then I died after critically wounding an enemy cruiser with my torpedoes and helping my team finish the enemies off for the win. The thrill was incredible. :swoon:

Edit: You guys basically use free experience as a little extra boost to your next new ship right? So it's not completely stock?

Edit: Any tips for the USN cruisers post St. Louis like the Phoenix? It's got less health but it's a lot faster.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 29, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Luitpold posted:

I remember that dude being on fire just before he died, maybe my secondary guns got him at the same time you clipped his propeller.

I think I figured it out. If you look closely in my second screenshot, there's a shot contrail coming down through the middle "e" in the word "Minekaze" and the DD triangle in the OTM stuff. The three shells to the right are what caused the water splashes. Your secondaries definitely took a chunk out of him as there's a big white bit in his HP bar in the second screenshot. But I got the kill, so there - you can see the red U KILLED SOMETHING! box starting to appear in the 3rd screenshot :mmmhmm: .

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Artificer posted:

Oh man. I just had a game in my brand new Clemson. I carefully kept watch on my distance from enemy ships to make sure I wouldn't be detected and snuck nearly down the complete middle of the map to reach their carrier hiding in the far corner before detonating all of my torpedoes in it.

Then I killed a destroyer who came after me to help his carrier by cannon fire and a lucky spread of torpedoes.

Then I shot another destroyer trying to cap a point with my cannons. And then I died after critically wounding an enemy cruiser with my torpedoes and helping my team finish the enemies off for the win. The thrill was incredible. :swoon:

Edit: You guys basically use free experience as a little extra boost to your next new ship right? So it's not completely stock?

Edit: Any tips for the USN cruisers post St. Louis like the Phoenix? It's got less health but it's a lot faster.

Phoenix and Omaha: stay at long gun range and spew your napalm loaded HE at enemy BBs while doing a serpentine. If you do it right and with a bit of luck you'll do 25k+ fire damage every round on top of the shel damage. Your torpedoes aren't your main armament and should only be used opportunistically. Laugh all the way to the duty free shop back at port. :v:

And yeah, I generally use my free xp to get a hill upgrade so I don't have to play stock. The Phoenix b hull gives you more guns and you wanna use the Omaha b hull unless you REALLY want AA. You lose a pair of waist guns and half your torps on each side.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TehKeen posted:

Phoenix and Omaha: stay at long gun range and spew your napalm loaded HE at enemy BBs while doing a serpentine. If you do it right and with a bit of luck you'll do 25k+ fire damage every round on top of the shel damage. Your torpedoes aren't your main armament and should only be used opportunistically. Laugh all the way to the duty free shop back at port. :v:

They are that reliable at setting fires?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Not advocating this behavior.....BUT. I got a double strike out of killing an enemy battleship and a friendly CA in the process....

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Artificer posted:

They are that reliable at setting fires?

Due to the way they're situated you can continuously shoot your guns even while maneuvering so you can keep up a steady stream of fiery death. The fire chance is high enough that you'll get them to Pop their date co tro early, then you just burn them down.

Edit: ^^^^ :xd:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

TSBX posted:

Not advocating this behavior.....BUT. I got a double strike out of killing an enemy battleship and a friendly CA in the process....

Worth :v:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TSBX posted:

Did you get the double strike flags?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Egh. I had just torpedoed the Carrier, crippled a BB, and taken out a Furutaka as the Isokaze, had my torps on track to hit an Omaha that was slowly turning away, they were going in, and then they vanished like 5m from his hull. He'd turned away JUST enough to slip out of range right before they hit.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Did you get the double strike flags?

Yes. I dang sure did. Had 8 before my "blunder".

TSBX fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 29, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Final stretch on the Furutaka :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TehKeen posted:

Due to the way they're situated you can continuously shoot your guns even while maneuvering so you can keep up a steady stream of fiery death. The fire chance is high enough that you'll get them to Pop their date co tro early, then you just burn them down.

Edit: ^^^^ :xd:

Never stop running in figure eights at varying speeds, got it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I like Torpedoes.

Glancing through the tech tree it seems like Japanese destroyers are the best Torpedo boats.

Is this true? If not which ships should I work towards?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just got my Omaha. I'm guessing it drives like a slower, better armed Phoenix?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Xae posted:

I like Torpedoes.

Glancing through the tech tree it seems like Japanese destroyers are the best Torpedo boats.

Is this true? If not which ships should I work towards?
I've just started down the Japanese destroyer path and it's amazing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I've come to the conclusion that BB players are universally the worst in the game. If you are a critical fight to the death over a key capture point and a ship on your team is off in a random corner of the map doing nothing, its almost certainly a BB. "Gee I can shoot from 20km away, guess I better make sure no ship ever gets withing 18km of me". *lands 11 hits all game in his top tier BB* *complains about DD as his team loses*

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Just got my Omaha. I'm guessing it drives like a slower, better armed Phoenix?

Hahahahahaha
No.
It's like a slightly better armed Phoenix. That's about it. It's still much better tho. Just dont think that you can stop someone from penning you.

Also don't get the third hullupgrade.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Michaellaneous posted:

Hahahahahaha
No.
It's like a slightly better armed Phoenix. That's about it. It's still much better tho. Just dont think that you can stop someone from penning you.

A Phoenix with more guns is basically the only way the Phoenix could be better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

Hahahahahaha
No.

Wait, why?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Driving Wyoming around after getting bored of New Orleans :stonk:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've just started down the Japanese destroyer path and it's amazing.

I like IJN destroyers too, but keep in mind their guns are absolute garbage. The turn so god drat slow that the only way you'll even be able to shoot with them is if you line up your target by turning like ship, like an old ship of the line.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Artificer posted:

Wait, why?

TehKeen posted:

And yeah, I generally use my free xp to get a hill upgrade so I don't have to play stock. The Phoenix b hull gives you more guns and you wanna use the Omaha b hull unless you REALLY want AA. You lose a pair of waist guns and half your torps on each side when you go from B to C.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like IJN destroyers too, but keep in mind their guns are absolute garbage. The turn so god drat slow that the only way you'll even be able to shoot with them is if you line up your target by turning like ship, like an old ship of the line.

IJN destroyer guns are usable once you get used to them, and have the relevant skill. If I recall correctly they have a flatter shell trajectory than US ones too, which helps with accuracy given the ranges DDs usually engage at. Especially once they get dual gun turrets(T7 and up) they're a perfectly valid secondary options, and I've won DD gunnery fights with them in CBT. The trick is to predict well beforehand which side of your ship you'll be engaging on, and bring your turrets about then. When they're already generally on target, their slower turn speed matters less. Just be aware that US destroyers have guns that both turn much faster and reload faster, so you need to either have decently better gunnery and/or make sure to keep them busy with other distractions - like torpedoes. And yes, some of the line(Minekaze) have such excruciatingly slow turn speeds that this is hard to implement even with the turret skill, but it's generally true for most of them.

Of course, the caveat to this is that 4.0 changed spotting mechanics, and you'll stay lit for an extremely long time, unless you manage to break LoS to EVERYTHING, if you actually do use your guns - which is one of the issues US ones are currently suffering under.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just wasted 2 Langleys, a South Carolina, and a Kuma in my Isokaze and my team still managed to lose the game. It would've been my daily double, too. :negative:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
^destroyers rule

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Clemson and Isokaze are both ridiculously fun boats for completely different reasons.

Except the one reason they have in common, that hitting someone with torpedoes is the best part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Night10194 posted:

The Clemson and Isokaze are both ridiculously fun boats for completely different reasons.

Except the one reason they have in common, that hitting someone with torpedoes is the best part of this game.
I want my Sims to poop torps undetected to be a ninja :smith: