Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cythereal posted:

Likewise, I hope the Japanese carriers have a crippling vulnerability to dive bombers and can sink from one hit with one.

They better give Kaga her historical armament. 10 8-inch guns, 8 5-inch guns. And 6 inches of belt armor. Just in case she ever found herself in a gun duel with a cruiser.

Kaga was designed for a video game. Specifically, this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arishtat posted:

The Myogi moves better but I'd like to have a word with the designer that put 2/3 of the main guns on the loving fantail.

Tough it out until the Kongo because it is a very solid ship. Also it has not inconsiderable AA armament which is handy because pubbie cruiser drivers don't understand that part of their job is to use their AA guns to protect the big guns, e.g. you.

This was actually an IJN design thing, especially on destroyers. They figured that in fleet actions, their DDs would cruise silently into torpedo range, turn away, launch all their torps, and then zoom away as fast as possible while firing their guns. Since the bow guns would never be fired in this scenario, they decided to put most of their guns in the rear.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Largepotato posted:

Did it actually work?

They never really got the chance to try it. Radar and air patrols meant that a force of DDs was never going to sneak up on an enemy fleet. And they were very vulnerable to air strikes because they had few AA guns and were carrying lots of volatile torpedoes that exploded if you looked at them funny.

When they did get a chance to fight surface engagements though, they were really good. They were generally pound-for-pound superior to US DDs, but of course, they were also much more expensive and difficult to build. Ultimately, their greater ability didn't offset the greater cost.

Arishtat posted:

This is great except for the fact that the Myogi class is a battleship. :v: In theory it's supposed to fight with its broadside but in the game having those two turrets on the rear of one's ship is a major disadvantage.

I can't remember where I read it, but IIRC the other reason for that arrangement was that bow guns on all classes of ships in the dreadnought era were more likely to be put out of action by saltwater. Can't remember if it was saltwater spray from near-misses or just saltwater corrosion in general. Some navies invested into ways to keep saltwater out of the turrets, Japan just shrugged and put their turrets aft until a solution could be found.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arishtat posted:

So does that say something about the quality of the bot scripting or the quality of the beta test players?

Both.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Right now battleships are just way too strong. It's not that the DDs or cruisers are bad, its just that both of them pale to battleships. They have no real weaknesses. They're agile enough to dodge torpedoes at long and medium range, can one-shot DDs and Cruisers at medium-short range, can open fire well before anyone else, and have enough AA guns to make carrier runs treacherous. That's if you're all by yourself. If you have a cruiser with you? Haha, you're invincible to air strikes because cruisers tier 6 and up have a special ability that utterly fucks up bombers. They shotgun their bombs and torpedoes all over the place while it's active, they can't hit anything. All this while simultaneously picking off any DDs making a suicide run at you.

I'm expecting some stealth-nerfs to change this. Reduced AA effectiveness, faster torpedoes, greater DD concealment, stuff like that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheFluff posted:

ok fine I'm just salty about my cruisers getting torpedoed a lot (i am bad at dodging torpedoes)

When in torpedo range of an enemy, change speeds frequently (3/4th to full and back is enough for most cruisers) and zig-zag. It'll throw off torpedo solutions enough that you'll never get nailed with a full spread unless you're at shotgun range. Even a single hit is unlikely.

If a spread is heading towards you and you can't completely dodge, you always want to turn towards the torpedoes rather than away from them. It sounds dumb, but because of physics you'll present a smaller target and get hit with fewer torps than if you turned away.

Right now the shittiness of the higher tiers is mainly because of the OP battleships and the dumb maps. I really hate North and Islands of Ice and miss Big Race.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Actually I think there's a bug where fighters will freeze up and stop attacking or doing anything. You can't easily tell in map mode, you have to zoom in and see them hanging motionless in mid-air getting shot to poo poo. If you order them to attack again it usually snaps them out of it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gindack posted:

As a CV how long does it take after you issue the order for torpedoes to be dropped? Once they start lining up for the run can you order them off or change the angle slightly?

The run isn't locked in until the planes enter the big circle around the drop point. Before that you can wave them off or shift the angle however you want.

However, if you try to shift the angle too much or too close to the drop point, their AI gets hosed up royally and starts circling around trying to readjust. Usually while getting chewed up by AA fire. If that happens all you can do is abort and try again, usually after having lost 2-3 planes (more in higher tiers).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hopterque posted:

This isn't true at all, if you run across the map everyone within like 15 km and with a free line of sight is gonna see you.

It's mostly true in a destroyer.

Just gotta watch out because I think scout planes work differently than carrier planes. Somehow.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They're apparently unfucking the traverse speed on the IJN DD's guns and reducing the range at which you can spot torps, which are significant buffs. Those long range torpedoes are theoretically pretty good if you could actually hit anyone with them. Spotting range is only 7k-ish for the IJN DDs, so you can sit at 10ish and shoot torps forever. Limited only by the loving godawful reload time for the oxygen torpedoes. The Minekaze has 1.3 shots per second, which is a 30-second reload. The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has. The Shimakaze has .3 shots per second...yeargh.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Insert name here posted:

I once pulled up literally right next to an enemy Kongo in mine and we duked it out Age of Sail style and it was boss as hell

Having all your secondaries and AA guns firing at once while you fire broadsides into someone at point-blank range is pretty rad. You are just spitting death and destruction in all directions.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Yamato isn't too scary right now because their turrets are hilariously easy to pen. I guess they forgot to add a 0 or something to their armor value, because they're just pathetic. Shooting HE in the T6 Aoba managed to keep knocking them out over and over.

He ended up getting me with his secondaries, but not before I torpedoed him, flooded him, and set him on fire with less than 7k HP left :supaburn:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Mods please rename thread to World of Spaceships: We all float up here

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/warships-changing-course/

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NTRabbit posted:

Starblazers? When I watched it the translation was "How things could have been if the honourable side had won World War 2"

It was nothing like that though?

Its Battlestar Galactica without Cylon babies, only the other way around because Battlestar Galactica was heavily inspired by SBY. The remake even added this Starbuck-like chick to make the circle complete.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hopterque posted:

Also the mogami's launcher might have a poo poo angle but it's loving 8 tubes on each side of your ship and they're the sick 10 km range torps.

It's cool as gently caress rolling by and giving a couple broadsides and then just dumping a loving ton of torpedoes on people as you zoom off.

If you take an S-shaped route you can fire off both tubes, dumping 16 torpedoes into the water. Then thrill as none of them hit because they get spotted 7km away.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prav posted:

It's automatic. You can turn it off by pressing a button (p) but in a cruiser there's rarely any reason to do so.

You can also designate a specific enemy squadron to concentrate your AA fire on by control-clicking them. Very useful.

At tier 6 both the US and IJN cruisers get their specific class ability, which turns them into an anti-air death machine for 60 seconds and royally fucks up bombing runs--it cuts their accuracy by about 1/3. Dive bombers won't hit poo poo, torpedo bombers will spray their torps in all directions and probably not hit poo poo. You want to time this ability so they're beginning their attack run, but haven't reached the point where they're about to drop their torpedoes--too late to turn around, but not so late that it doesn't affect them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Well, it is an early beta. I think most of the problems with the high tiers can be fixed by shifting numbers around. The core gameplay is very strong, it's just not balanced at the higher tiers. Probably because that isn't where the focus has been development-wise.

I'm not really thrilled by T7+ gameplay but I do think it'll be fixed. T5 games are fun as hell.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ToiletDuckie posted:

I don't think I understand battleship aiming. I can hit turning destroyers in a Nicholas at ~8km within two rounds but I can't even hit a stationary (grounded) targets at 12km reliably in a Fuso. Something just isn't clicking. Is there really that much spread? Is it just a matter of adjusting for round travel times against moving targets? Is there an accuracy penalty for moving or turning?

Should I just give up and drive close enough that I can't miss?

Yes, sorta, yes for turning, no for moving, maybe.

The Fuso's dispersion at max range is terrible. That's why you can beat them with a Kongo or Nagato despite both having fewer guns. Your broadside at close range is unmatched though, and if all your shells hit, a one-shot against an enemy battleship ain't nothin'.

When you shoot while turning, half of your guns have a different angle and a different shell-time-to-target than the other half. Shoot, then turn. Shooting while at top speed is just as accurate as shooting while still though.

Still, even if you have a shot lined up perfectly, RNG can cause your shots to miss. If you fire a volley, and some of your shots go long and some go short, that was RNG saying "Better luck next time". If all go short or all go long, you need to adjust your range. If they fall behind the ship, you haven't led them enough, and if they all fall in front, you've led too far. Firing a tester shot is worthwhile to get the range--just a single shot from one gun. If it looks vaguely on-target, you can let loose with a volley.

I've definitely missed ships sitting stock-still because the RNG spat on me, so don't feel too bad. There's also a client-sync issue right now where ships will appear to be where they were a second or two ago. Annoyingly, it's easy to mistake this for a near-miss. Hit Z after firing a volley and check if your shells are phasing through the hull--this is a sign of a ghost ship.

You're probably better off at close range than at long range vs. an Amagi or Nagato, because they have better accuracy, penetration and damage with their 16-inchers. They can really wear you down at long ranges. On the other hand, getting closer to them gives them a better chance to pen your juicy citadel. It's always a gamble.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

At long range, shots will plunge nearly straight downwards at the end of their path. That means you need to be have good aim, but you have a high chance of missing if you're shooting at something small, or mis-aimed to begin with.

After a certain distance, your shots will start to travel more parallel to the ocean. It doesn't matter as much if you aim too far behind a ship, your shell still needs to travel through space occupied by your target.

Basically, it's easier to hit closer ships. The Fuso isn't terribly accurate either.

Edit: This is true for all ships. The angle that your shells land will change based on where your target is within the maximum range on your guns. You can use this knowledge to set fire to battleships more easily, by shooting HE at max range and hitting their decks.

It's annoyingly opaque. Like, you might want to shoot AP at long range, because ships have less deck armor than they do belt armor. Your long-range shots will plunge through the deck armor for massive damage. But at higher tiers, because you're shooting at such long range and against ships with increasing amounts of deck armor, the rounds might lose so much velocity over their flight that they can't pen 6 inches of deck armor. So you want to shoot HE instead.

How do you know which case is which? Trial and error.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Mind you, the game only pops up "Citadel Hit" if you actually penetrate the citadel. If you're hitting directly below the turrets or directly below the smoke stacks, you're hitting the right spot even if it doesn't flash "citadel hit". Also, you can't over-penetrate it either. This mainly comes into play when battleships are shooting cruisers at close range, but cruisers can do the same to destroyers. In either case, you want to switch to HE.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Insert name here posted:

Yeah why the hell do the upgraded TBs on the Ranger lose 30% damage over the previous bombers? poo poo makes no sense.

They get increased speed and survivability, which is nice. Both are necessary to survive the improved AA of the higher-tier BBs and cruisers.

The reduced damage is bullshit though. You can land all ten torpedo hits on a Nagato and not kill it, as I have learned from bitter experience.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Supposedly there's a patch dropping tomorrow that adds piasters, premium ships, bug fixes, and some balance changes. Any euros wanna confirm that? It was posted on the EU forums, but apparently the US community manager went on vacation or something without telling anyone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can definitely sink cruisers with secondary gun fire alone, particularly as you go up in tier and the Japanese BBs get more and more of the things. They can even get Citadel hits for maximum laughter. Always follow up by typing SKILLSHOT in genchat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"An experimental 'Ocean' map without any obstacles"

gently caress me sideways

That's going to be miserable

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's some kind of poetry that they introduced a new premium ship, renamed Piasters to Tokens, and then didn't hand out any Piasters Tokens.

900 is all I want man, I just need three more ship slots. I'd be good with 3.

e: a filthy, cockroach-infested "premium" ship. It was loaned to the Soviet Union for the duration of the war, but the Russians poo poo it up so bad the US gassed it and scrapped it as soon as it came back.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 7, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
On the plus side, they did seem to fix the problem with graphical desyncs in binoculars mode. I can actually hit things at long range again.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TehKeen posted:

edit: missed the prior space battleship yamato discussion :negative: oh well it's still cool. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IICjzV0ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0

Can never figure out which version I like more.

e: I'm way too amused by this:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 8, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I finally FINALLY had a good game in the Kongo - my teams kept rushing at the enemy like lemmings leaving me all by my lonesome to get blasted out of the ocean by hordes of torpedo planes. I mentioned that I would really like support this time and the cruiser drivers chimed in that I should keep up with them if I wanted AA support, and of course they were already in the middle of the map and dying like flies. I ignored the sole Kongo on the other team and started focusing on the enemy cruisers less than 10km out and proceeded to blast them with single salvos and watched them explode, thereby saving one of the heroic lemmings long enough for him to distract the Kongo while I blew the carrier into scrap. By the end of the match I had pretty much turned it completely around and destroyed a CV, BB, DD, and 3 cruisers - 2 lights and 1 heavy. The carrier pilot was bitching about taking 37k hp out in one shot, but the fucker was sitting still at less than 8km. And the Kongo was raw when I dropped 31k hp worth of damage on him - it was a perfect lineup with me directly behind him at 6km and all but 1 shot landed.

I find the damage from the Kongo's guns erratic however - I pretty much need to be under 10km to do anything more than a couple hundred hp's of damage. I still fire long-range shots just to see if I can hit or do damage, but I would think high arcing shots coming down at a steep angle would do at least a little bit of damage, but nope. I'm guessing it has to do with the shot angle and RNG, but I'm not sure since I never really paid all that much attention to where the shells hit when I managed to land one from 16-18km out. Going to have to look a little closer at that to get a good feel for the best places to aim - I mostly try for the water line, but it's not like it's a laser I can aim with pinpoint accuracy at that range. I'm just happy if I can manage to hit the drat target!

Anyways I now have the Fuso, so I'll see if my accuracy and damage are any better. I still think cruisers and destroyers are more fun, however.

The magic trick to dodging TBs in the Kongo (or any other ship with some giddyup): drop to 3/4ths speed, then 1/2 as the TBs approach. When you see them making their run, jump all the way up to full speed and turn towards the bombers. If they're coming from both sides, turn towards the one on your left.

You will dodge so many torpedoes. All the torpedoes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PirateBob posted:

You would actually pick +20% secondary range over increased main gun accuracy?

The Nagato's secondaries really are that good. And if you're trying to brawl then you don't really need all that much accuracy.

I'm planning on switching for the secondary upgrade as soon as I get the captain skill to go with it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I gave the aim assist mod a try and holy moly is it helpful. In fact, it's basically mandatory for me now because it is based on the ships ACTUAL position, not their position on the screen. So if the graphics desync (a persistent bug through the CBT) it's no longer an issue.

I'd advise going through the early tiers without it though, the indicator isn't always right and you need a sense of where to shoot in those cases.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh, and the reason I mentioned you should try it is that apparently the EU forum mods said it was legal.

Which...okay, might as well then I guess.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you're joining the CBT now, be sure to get in the Goons channel and the Vent server. Platooning is OP as gently caress.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Infidelicious posted:

So I think I got the disappearing ship bug someone was talking about earlier. My camera became unstuck, and my Penscola drove off into the sunset on it's own, I Ctrl-Alt-Del'd out of the game hoping to get back in and it's been in battle ever since.

Definitely make a report on the forums.

It'll probably only be fixed when the server reboots tomorrow morning, but let em know about it anyway.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kitakami is made up entirely of weakpoints. It was designed with the idea that it would never be shot at, because the super long-range torpedoes meant it could shoot from well outside of gunnery range. That turned out not to be the case thanks to airstrikes and radar-directed gunnery, so it was never deployed in its intended role.

I ran into a Kitakami+2 Fubuki platoon today. There was just this permanent cloud of smoke in the 8-line of North machine-gunning torpedoes in all directions. It was some Serious poo poo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just remind them that the aimbot is legal, it makes them furious beyond measure

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OSad posted:

That "aimbot" is awful. I have used it for research purposes and my accuracy rating in matches during said usage must've dropped to nearly zero. It does *not* give you an accurate firing indicator, partly because it doesn't seem to take into account shell velocity, plus the vertical movement factor which it does not do well. It will also dull the hell out of your sense of aim the first couple of matches you use it, making you have to get used to properly leading your targets again.

I foolishly forewent a backup of whatever it replaced so I had to reinstall my entire game just to get rid of it, but I did so happily, because screw that thing. If this is meant to be WoWS's "thing" like XVM is to World of Tanks, then the randoms can have it, and I'll sleep well with the fact that I tried it and it's terrible.

Make sure you got the up-to-date version. The latest version uses a different algorithm or something and is much more accurate. It does take shell velocity and vertical movement into effect.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Fuso isn't as accurate as the Kongo, but it makes up for that by firing 12 shots. The Kongo is more accurate at all ranges (The Fuso has trouble between mid and max range.) Of course there's nothing like blapping most boats in a single salvo!

The Nagato is interesting for different reasons. It's secondaries are insane. On an open ocean battle I killed 2 and almost a third destroyer just with them when they went after our carrier. Only reason I didn't kill the third was because another cruiser got the last shot in.

It's the only ship where I'd consider getting the secondary range/accuracy upgrade, besides Yamato.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Hitler posted:

Any chance anyone has an invite code that my friend can use?

e) i know this sounds lovely but if you have one that you still haven't given to a goon, maybe...

ee) yeah it sounds lovely because it is lovely. this is a lovely post.

You get a beta code with a preorder now. Either of the destroyers are good deals, good ship + some gold and 30 days premium.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dalael posted:

Also, hang in there... The Langley is the worst carrier and every other carrier you will have is an improvement on the last one. Except maybe the ranger... I liked it, but people seem to bitch about it a lot.

Lexington arbitrarily gets a much better plane distribution (two fighters, two torpedo bombers).

This + the inherent superiority of higher-tier fighters means that one Lexington can equal two normal-spec Rangers while still being a highly dangerous damage-dealer.

3.1 update has almost everything I wanted, but they aren't addressing dive bombers or fighter mechanics. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magni posted:

Hatsuharu Trip Report, Day 3 1/2:

:stonklol:

I'M FREE! FREE AT LAST!

gently caress this cursed tub forever, off to the junkyard she goes.

I'm surprised you made it through the Mutsuki. I sure didn't.

Best part was getting the Fletcher and realizing that it has better torpedoes too.