Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yea the weekend testers get automatics. Granted that is assuming WG doesn't gently caress that up.

The spotting question earlier if a BB fires within a certain range and there isn't any smoke being laid down it will be spotted. Even without firing the min spitting range is basically the same for every ship except destroyers. Ships do disappear every once and a while but they usually reappear fairly quickly when they fire OR just shoot a blind volley because pubbies are awful about changing course and speed.

No the spotting range is very different between classes. Battleships all have about 20km spotting range, cruisers around 10, and destroyers around 5. This makes a big difference since cruisers can actually expect to maneuver closer to the enemy fleet without getting shot.

Of course sky cancer breaks all this so w/e.

I was an alpha tester so if you have a question, shoot away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Destroyers are pretty bad right now due to a torp Nerf.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Have they ever stated the arming distance for torpedoes? I can't be bothered to scour the forums and I don't visit but to read the announcements. I swear they arm ten feet after they are launched because I had a DD unload a spread of six at me so close his crew could exchange drinks across ships and my Kongo was obliterated. For reference it was so close I could not fire my main guns at it.

It's like 100 meters.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Anybody else on TS? I need auth.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Which slot 2 upgrade do you guys think is best for the Amagi(tier 8 BB)? 20% more range on AA guns, 10% faster reload/15% aiming on main guns, or more accuracy on main guns?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

AMINAL posted:

Faster reload/aim easily

Wait nm, it actually slows reload by 10%. Went with main gun accuracy.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 13, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

What is the loadout attribute on fighters? Is it worth upgrading the fighters on the Independence?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I believe the loadout is the amount of rounds they have. Each plane is most certainly worth upgrading. The Saipan has the Buffalo which is double the damage of stock. It absolutely murders.

Yeah but on the Independence the Grumman F3F actually does less dmg and has less loadout, in fact your aircraft rating decreases if you take them.

The main draw seems to be they're much tougher.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 14, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Does taking two level 2 skills unlock level 4?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Nordick posted:

Yeah I had a game in my Kongo where a Cleveland got a drop on me from behind an island. I got some decent hits on him, but he just tore me to loving bits with his fast firing batteries while I was struggling to turn fast enough. I think I got like half of his health, while he gunned me down to like 10 or 15% before loving off. And he didn't even use torpedoes.

Yeah this doesn't work at all at the higher tiers. A few games ago I took on four cruisers at medium-long range in my Amagi and won.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Zettace posted:

When playing tier 3 cruisers, what are you supposed to do about torpedo bombers that drop torpedo right next to you. Is there an AA button or something.

Keep your bow pointed at the torpedo bombers at all times. If I can do it in a battleship, you can do it in a T3 cruiser.

But if you didn't see the TBs coming then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7rOUSvYM8

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I have discovered something amazing.

Destroyers can sit inside smoke and shoot at ships as close as 3km away and not be detected. I just saw a tier 8 American destroyer completely wreck a tier 7 cruiser doing this.

Time to grind US DDs I guess.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

hopterque posted:

Just had two guys in a carrier whine about how nobody protected their flank 8 minutes into a game. The entire team moved to A and B on fault line or whatever and they went and puttered off into the open ocean near C (the east side). Do carrier players not understand that they can move their ships, and in fact being near-ish to the mass of the team is really helpful in terms of travel time, protection from flanking vessels, and any planes having to get through a wall of AA and other targets before they get to the carriers.

Like, yeah, you want to be in back, but you can be in back on the side the team is on instead of off in the open water on the other side of the map like an rear end in a top hat.

Where they grouped and in rangers? I just had a game with the same thing and they bitched about how they were left behind by the team.

30+ knot carriers being "left behind" by 25 knot battleships, good joke.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Zhanism posted:

Should destroyers use HE or AP? Their AP not useful against bigger ships and does AP matter against other destroyers?

HE against destroyers because you'll cause massive crits that cripple his ability to move/fight back with every salvo.

AP against everything else. It does way more damage to cruisers and will give you 2k damage volleys even against battleships at long range. Close range HE from a destroyer basically does nothing to a BB, it doesn't even cause crits.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Obviously it's not perfect but I just don't see why it's necessary at all. Why should players not have to learn how to properly lead torpedoes in the first place?

Because you are very unlikely to hit anything at long range with torps if you don't have indicator. Don't be dumb, DDs are weak enough as it is.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Lee Outrageous posted:

What's the best way to get in playing with goons in this here boat game?
Ingame channel Goons, pw lowemedo.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They were supposed to on paper. The problem is, if destroyers don't counter battleships, then what does?

Carriers don't do so well, especially if you're in a match with a higher tier carrier. Plus, you only get 2 carriers per side per match.

Cruisers are countered by battleships.

Battleships do?

Take two sides, one with 6 battleships and 2 destroyers, and one with 8 battleships. I would much rather be on the team with 6 battleships. Why? The DDs provide scouting information, ensuring your own side gets the favorable positioning and first shot. When the BBs start engaging each other, the DDs can sneak in and severely damage or sink enemy BBs. Plus DDs are good at capping, which is very important on at least half the maps.

Looking at my own stats, my tier 7 DD gets an average of 888 xp per round while my tier 8 BB gets an average of 1,065 xp per round. So the difference is not that large.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The quality of a ship isn't really decided by exp, further, once the shooting starts ships become pretty visible so scouting isn't as beneficial. Balance was never very good in World of Tanks, except that eventually mediums did find a place, and I kinda see that repeating here on a more severe scale.

Destroyers are very different from medium and light tanks. When I'm doing my job, I'm sinking at least one BB per game. The only time when I do poorly is when their cruisers and DDs are doing their jobs and manage to hunt me down before I can inflict much damage.

I will say DDs feel a bit too weak right now due to the torpedo detection range nerf. Some sort of buff is needed to compensate if WG wants to keep the current detection range. In addition, destroyers should be better at hunting CVs than they currently are.

Oh and once the shooting starts BBs will still disappear if you have no scouts btw. When they fire they become visible for 15-20 seconds but then disappear again. Given RoF and the time it takes to adjust aim. BBs that are unscouted can disengage and reengage at will, that gives the side with the scouts a massive advantage. The main issue I see is carrier planes are too good at scouting.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

BadLlama posted:

This is a huge issue with DD's. I have Sixth sense on my tier V DD and I am constantly spotted by airplanes flying everywhere so I am not even sneaky like I am supposed to be because planes flying 5km spot me.

Right, it doesn't even have to be a general nerf to plane vision. Just fighters really. If the CV pilot wants to divert half his firepower to keep a DD scouted, I'm ok with that. But fighters are often doing nothing anyways...

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Scout planes need to be removed from everyone but carriers. Oh look I am in a BB and want to go around this island, I'll just launch this stupid plane and detected loving everything.

VV Don't care how they think its balanced it is complete bullshit counter to a DDs when they can just press button and detect you.

Fighters are far more annoying than scout planes. Most DDs above tier 5 can destroy a single scout fairly easily

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I found the Yamato's niche - sniping carriers from 24 km where they think they're safe.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Hahahaha I just killed two Amagis with my carrier. Not my carrier's planes, with my carrier.

I ran out of planes and charged the two BBs from around an island. Secondary guns killed one while I rammed the other, both died.

Glorious Nippon tactics. :japan:

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

The problem with the current tier balance is the devs have mixed treaty and non-treaty ships. The tier 7 and tier 8 American heavy cruisers(Pensacola and New Orleans) were treaty cruisers that followed the 10,000 ton limit. While the Cleveland was a non-treaty "light" cruiser that massed a full three thousand tons more.

The same thing happens with Japanese destroyers. During WWII Japan had two tiers of destroyers. Advanced, large, non-treaty destroyers like the Fubuki and cheaper smaller treaty destroyers like the Hatsuharu. That's why once you get past tier 5 the Japanese destroyers seem so incredibly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Singlehandedly won the game here, sank 4/6 enemy ships that died. Almost 200k damage...can't wait for the shimakaze.