Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Jaroslav posted:

The Kawachi is literally the worst pile of poo poo i have ever seen, christ it's bad

The Myogi moves better but I'd like to have a word with the designer that put 2/3 of the main guns on the loving fantail.

Tough it out until the Kongo because it is a very solid ship. Also it has not inconsiderable AA armament which is handy because pubbie cruiser drivers don't understand that part of their job is to use their AA guns to protect the big guns, e.g. you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

This was actually an IJN design thing, especially on destroyers. They figured that in fleet actions, their DDs would cruise silently into torpedo range, turn away, launch all their torps, and then zoom away as fast as possible while firing their guns. Since the bow guns would never be fired in this scenario, they decided to put most of their guns in the rear.

This is great except for the fact that the Myogi class is a battleship. :v: In theory it's supposed to fight with its broadside but in the game having those two turrets on the rear of one's ship is a major disadvantage.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but IIRC the other reason for that arrangement was that bow guns on all classes of ships in the dreadnought era were more likely to be put out of action by saltwater. Can't remember if it was saltwater spray from near-misses or just saltwater corrosion in general. Some navies invested into ways to keep saltwater out of the turrets, Japan just shrugged and put their turrets aft until a solution could be found.

Whatever the reason for it the arrangement is sub-optimal for the purposes of the game.

On the other hand the Kongo is fun as hell now that I understand how to aim the guns properly. There's nothing like banging out an 8 gun broadside and 10 seconds later those shells land on a hapless Phoenix-class cruiser and send him back to the garage.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mazz posted:

This dude streaming w/ codes right now didn't realize he was playing co-op battles for like a solid 40 minutes now.

Just issue codes WG, jesus christ. :negative:

So does that say something about the quality of the bot scripting or the quality of the beta test players?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Not sure I can agree that high ping is an excuse for sucking. v:shobon:v
I've been doing very well with 200-220 ping.
The game is much smoother and more comfortable to play at 50 ms, but other than that it doesn't make much of a difference in a game as slow as this.

Given the flight time of the shells a ping time of 150-200ms isn't a big deal. I did, however, notice intermittent packet loss this weekend which manifested itself as ships 'jumping' kind of like how tanks used to way back in beta for World of Tanks. It made trying to aim the Kongo's guns extra fun.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

OK so the Minekaze is pretty drat good:

The turret rotation buff for IJN destroyers makes this thing much more comfy. I was actually able to pull off a gun kill on an enemy destroyer which was close to impossible with the old turret rotation values.

The enemy team's cruisers were blessedly retarded and just drove into my torpedo spreads which I fired from close to maximum range one after the other. The Aurora ate two torpedoes, ran himself aground and was still attempting to get himself un-hosed by the time I reloaded and fired a second spread of four torpedoes which gave him nowhere to go (but down).

I narrowly avoided death by Kongo by baiting him into firing most (not all) of his rounds short. The two rounds that he did hit me with knocked off half my hit points, but then his secondaries all missed and I was finished him off with a spread of 4 torpedoes fired from ~2km.

To finish the match I capped the flag like a true pubbie. It was either that or attempt to chase down the two Langleys which were on opposite corners of the map. After racking up six kills I opted for the sure win.

FAKE EDIT: Correction! Replay playback works again! YouTube video incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ptT_7D2dA

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

So the IJN Furutaka is kind of an ungainly ship, but it's hard not to love it when you torpedo an onrushing Aoba-class cruiser, disable his engines with a citadel hit and sink him with a magazine explosion 30 seconds later. :black101:

Dude was not happy about that.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 26, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFe7yC70QU4

:black101:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aesis posted:

I just got myself a Pensacola and holy poo poo it sucks. Turret rotation is killing me :negative: Does it get any better with upgrades and modules?

The upgraded guns traverse 50% faster, but yeah, get used to putting some planning into which way your turrets are oriented. Consider it the price of admission for those 8" guns. My main problem with the Pensacola is that it's poorly armored and ponderous to maneuver when compared to the Cleveland.

Now the IJN Aoba? She's very nice.

Two of those battleships tried to take me in a tail chase (me running of course) and both wound up dead thanks to a combination of gunfire (mine), a torpedo (also mine) and some very well timed dive bombing (not mine). Then the opposing team decided to try to win by capture and failed to take out our Myogi class cruiser and I caught their carrier trying to capture point A. I took the point and sank him to finish the game. A battleship that was coming to assist the carrier couldn't help because I kept an island between us while I hammered the carrier with 8" rounds.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

edit: stupid 502 bad gateway double post

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

El Disco posted:

Well, the progression has definitely improved since they added the Furutaka and swapped the Myoko and Mogami.

This. When the tree went from the tier IV Kuma -> tier 6 Aoba the idea of grinding out 18000 experience on an overweight destroyer with no smoke capability did not appeal to me. As soon as the Furutaka was added I unlocked it I went for that. I did, however, end up blowing some free experience to get out of the Furutaka because it just isn't a comfortable ship. The turret layout is weird, it has nil armor, nonexistent anti-aircraft defenses and isn't very maneuverable to boot. The tier VI Aoba addresses all of these problems except for the armor but that matters less when you can straight up dodge a great deal of incoming fire with it.

I'm really enjoying the Aoba with a good captain and fully kitted out with accessories.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 3, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

xthetenth posted:

The 750Ti's entire gimmick is being the most powerful card that doesn't need any power source other than the connection to the motherboard, so if you can't get a new PSU because the motherboard connector is proprietary, it's the best pick.

The 750Ti still recommends that you have a power supply rated for up to 300 watts peak power output, but as other people have mentioned you can now just swap out your OEM power supply for a better ATX power supply unless you've got one of those compact desktop enclosure Dells.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I'm just going to put it out there that while the Kongo was a decent BB the Fuso with its twelve guns is ridiculous.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aesis posted:

Only bad luck I had was facing that Hakuryu player three times in a row with NC :psyduck:

But yeah if they're on manual run then they'll have to adjust unless they expected you to turn towards the bombers which seems to be very rare case. tbh I turn away when using cruiser/DD because I can turn fast and want to have more chance with AA, and it works as long as they're not criss crossing. But with BB I try to turn into them or keep at acute angle so I can run into torps or go through the gap.

Also I thought you could designate auto drop from different directions. At least that looked like the case with dive bombers.

Seeing the same guy in more than one consecutive battle is a function of the very small player pool, particularly at the bottom and top ends of the tiers. Only time and the open beta phase will tell if the player pool will grow or if it will stagnate and die. My prediction is that it will grow modestly because the game is good, but very niche.

As Kesper pointed out it's the good carrier drivers you have to watch out for and they're few and far between.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I did good guys, right?

To be fair I straight up stole the Kongo and the Omaha kills, but I spotted and torpedoed the Indy very early in the game and then solo'ed the Ryujo to finish the game so I feel that I earned my keep.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Krogort posted:

What's the deal with the Farragut ?
It seems like a straight downgrade from the Nicholas, you get the chances to upgrade your torps for the high damage long range one but you lose concealment and the ability to drop torps from both side.
And the AA you get is worthless anyway.

Where are you finding these magical 'long range' torpedoes for the Farragut? Your choices are 5.5km or 4.5km range and that's it. The Mahan is the first US destroyer which has torpedoes that reach out to 6.4km.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ijyt posted:

Is there a point in spending the points on lower tiers, do they carry over or are they locked.

It's possible to move experienced commanders over to new ships.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I have finally finished the Kawachi. Please tell me the Myogi is better.

Well it's not the Kawachi and you're one step closer to the Kongo! :sun:

Seriously though the Myogi gets better range so that you can actually engage St. Louis class cruisers without having to weather a constant deluge of 6" HE rounds. The main problems with it are that it still doesn't have any AA (and no the 3rd hull doesn't count) and that the turret layout requires you to do some creative maneuvering to bring your two rear turrets to bear on the target.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

None of those premiums have me excited. The Sakura's concealment is INSANE, but 30 knots and garbage for torpedoes and the toy guns attached makes me feel nothing.

Remember that it is a tier 2 destroyer. Engagement ranges at that tier max out at 10km and the ships are generally slower. It won't be a problem to close range to fire those torpedoes but getting back out in one piece might be a bit more difficult.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Top Sekrit Wargaming.net Leak Incoming

Agent Grenouille reports:

Ladies and gentlemen I give you a selection of ships which will totally, most definitely (who are we kidding of course they won't) be in the French tree.

First up is the Tier II armoured cruiser Jeanne d'Arc, built in Toulon in 1900 and later used as a training ship for officer candidates:

Next is the Tier III battleship Provence, first in a class of three ships, built in 1913 and armed with 10 13.3" guns in five fully revolving turrets:

Mad at the Myogi and its rear-oriented armament? Have I got a ship for you! Completed in 1937 the Dunkerque placed all of its main armament (8x 13" guns) in two forward-facing quadruple turrets and was considered one of the most modern battleships in the world. It also featured a significant secondary armament and was reasonably nimble for a ship of its size so expect to see it at tier V/VI.

Historical note: After receiving damage in a skirmish with the British navy following the fall of France to the Nazis in 1940 it returned to Toulon for repairs but sadly never left again as it was scuttled along with most of the French naval vessels in 1942. This was done to prevent Germany, which had just dissolved Vichy France, from acquiring the ships of the Mediterranean fleet for its use.

And finally for you flattop lovers there's the Béarn which was commissioned in 1927 and was the only pre-war French aircraft carrier. She served as an experimental ship prior to World War II and then sat out the war in port at the island of Martinique in the Caribbean Sea. After the war ended she continued to serve up until decommissioning in 1967. Her aircraft complement as designed was 40 planes. Expect to see her at Tier IV. No other aircraft carriers were built by the French Navy until after World War II so who knows what Wargaming will do to fill out the line.

Maybe one of them will be this nifty beast? If so it'll have to be Tier 10+++ :v:

That would be the Charles de Gaulle, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and one of the very few non-US carriers which launch aircraft the way God intended which is to say by means of catapult and not vertically (not a carrier) or by ski jump (lol Britain and China).

If you're curious about where all of these photos came from they were taken at the Musee national de la Marine in Toulon, France. I apologize for the miserable quality of the photos but the lighting was loving awful and most of the models were in glass cases to keep children and not-so-children from breaking off pieces from them.

Museum web site: http://www.musee-marine.fr/toulon

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 28, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

It should be. I know that they did nerf how much speed AP shells have after hitting the water so that it only really works on DDs. HE doesn't do anything if it hits the water, that's for sure.

It sure is because a Wyoming zapped my Minekaze with a shot straight to the aft magazine. The round clearly splashed down a few feet off my port side. I wasn't mad because my torpedoes sent him to the bottom seconds later to end the round with a crushing victory for our team.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Doubleclick fires all guns.

Also holding down the mouse button fires all of your turrets in sequence. For some ships (St. Louis, Phoenix, Omaha/Murmansk, Kuma, Atlanta etc.) it's better to direct a constant stream of fire on the target as opposed to a defined volley, reload and then another volley.

Night10194 posted:

Please tell me about the Kongo to fuel my drive to finish this loving Myogi. Even if it has become more tolerable, I must know something wonderful awaits me at the end of this.

The Kongo goes 25+ knots, is reasonably agile, has functional AAA and 8x14" main guns that can reach out to 20km. Does that about cover it?

In other news divisioning yesterday with Gegil, wwdark and later Oesor earned the experience necessary to trade up from the Omaha to the Cleveland which was a nice way to finish the night.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 11, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Reztes posted:

So Japanese cruisers are the only line I don't understand the appeal of. At least up to tier 4 they just seem so much more anemic than the other classes and lines, what's the draw? Better torpedoes than the US line?

The Tenryu and Kuma aren't really cruisers, they're bigger destroyers and were intended as such. The Furutaka is ungainly and not pleasant to play. From the Aoba on you get a good mix of speed, agility and firepower, just not much in the way of armor protection.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

TehKeen posted:

though really they never intended the murmansk code to stick after OBT hit, so...

That's not our problem now is it? :v:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Pubbie tunnel vision is the best. This Iowa was so focused on shooting our North Carolina that he didn't even notice his ally in a Fuso get sunk in front of him by a combination of my torpedoes and gunfire and a timely citadel from our North Carolina. I saw that he wasn't looking my way so I went straight for him and, well, just watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s3ml5K_xS8

Not included in the video is me dying like a retard afterward because I prematurely popped my repair kit, got lit on fire by the dive bombers and then ran into a 'friendly' torpedo from my team's Atago who decided to be helpful and cover about 30 degrees of the compass with torps aimed vaguely at the Iowa.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

The idea that you can counter a hilariously overpowered player by ensuring that the other team also has a hilariously overpowered player is either genius or imbecilic.

Oh wait, it's the latter. My team's carrier is AFK. Or American.

I very much enjoy teaching smug carrier drivers that Clevelands aren't the only cruiser which shreds aircraft.

They tend to ignore my Aoba because :laffo: Japanese AAA only to find that the top hull with a skipper who has Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, a catapult fighter and the Max AAA consumable popped wrecks air groups and causes torpedo squadrons to launch their torpedoes every which way instead of at their intended target as they scramble to get the gently caress away from the AAA barrage. The Myoko and Atago are also pretty good at it, but I don't like playing Tier 7 and 8 because the player pool is so small that the matchmaker serves up lopsided matches more often than not.

As someone said earlier shooting down aircraft doesn't earn much in the way of credits or experience but you do make your pubbie battleship drivers very grateful and keeping ships on the field means that your team is less likely to get rolled. Also once in while you get a very frustrated enemy CV driver who cries over all chat that cruisers are OP and blah blah blah. When that happens I just thank them for the light snack and look forward to hunting them down and slowly burning them to death with 8" shells.

They *really* don't like that. :chord:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The bleating of a CV player who stayed back to hide when he realizes he's too far back for anyone to help him and an enemy fast cruiser or DD has found him is one of the best parts of this game.

My wife knows when I've got a carrier dead to rights because the insane cackling can be heard throughout the house.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I keep thinking back to Navy Field and drooling over some of the ships that the Brits got. If they're anything close to their Navy Field proxies, they could be awesome, even without the block shots and bullshit armor.

The Dido and Emerald CLs are both fairly compact, nasty little cruisers. The York CA could be potentially small by heavy cruiser standards, and it's also a mean little thing. I don't know if it's small for a CA, but it's roughly 100 feet shorter than the Baltimore while still packing 8 inch guns.

Then there's the BBs. The Nelson looks like it'll be a tremendous pain in the rear end to deal with when it's coming straight at you. Then you've got some other stuff, like the Revenge ( which might have torpedo tubes ), or the Prince of Wales. I can't wait for Brit gunships.

Even if the British ships are pure riveted poo poo they'll be worth it because win, lose or draw the jokes will write themselves. :britain:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Magni posted:

Myogi ain't so bad once you got the third hull. Furu I'm kinda cuious about, the new patch changes read like a massive improvement for her.

Most carriers have no armor whatsoever and can be citadelled with HE at hort range. Of ourse, they can also be citadelled with AP at that point (and well before) and AP does more damage on citadel pens.

Japanese carriers are armored with rice paper and tin foil gasoline tanks. If you use AP on them, even from a destroyer, it often just goes in one side and out the other.

US carriers vary a bit. The Langley has no armor and the Bogue and Indy have very minimal armor, but the Ranger and up have some level of protection against small caliber HE rounds. Remember that the Lexington was actually a battlecruiser hull which was converted to an aircraft carrier in the 1930s because of the Washington Naval Treaty which was signed by Japan, the US and the UK to limit Japan's ability to expand its navy and (heh) stave off a confrontation between Japan and the US/UK in Southeast Asia.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Lhet posted:

Got Isokaze last night, finally able to begin the stealth destroyer game (though the torpedo range is still only a bit more than the concealment range). Hopefully will be able to get to Minekaze tonight and really start invisibly harassing everything with 10km torpedos. When destroying, I should pretty much never fire unless there's zero chance to retreat, right?
Also, should I just never engage Battleships 1v1 with Marblehead? It seems that I always just lose the gunfight.

Learn to love that magic 6-7km range where you can hit with your torpedoes but the enemy can't see you.

In an Isokaze/Minekaze you can use your guns, just be aware that you're at a severe disadvantage fighting anything but other Japanese DDs and that revealing yourself makes you a target for EVERYTHING that is in range. I use my guns to kill other Jap DDs, ninja kills on dying ships, distracting ships from allies and taking opportunity shots on ships that are busy fighting someone else.

As for the Marblehead treat it just like the Omaha that it is derived from and avoid picking head-on fights with stuff that has bigger guns. Yeah you will probably out-DPM them but you'll come away badly damaged for it.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Minekaze nerfed you say? 7km torpedoes are bad you say?

Eat your heart out pubbies. :chord:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Reztes posted:

Biggest idiot I've encountered so far:

I was playing a Furutaka game yesterday in which a "friendly" Tenryu crossed ahead of me from right to left in front of a channel that an enemy ship was coming down at 10 km and closing. I fired a spread of torpedoes into the channel, behind the Tenryu. So naturally, the Tenryu makes a hard turn back to the channel and runs right back into my torps. Then he spends the entire rest of the match bitching in chat about how I intentionally teamkilled him, because the enemy in that direction was "obviously" out of range, and how does somebody get to tier 5 without knowing torpedoes don't have that kind of range.

When I pointed out that Furutaka has 10km torps, he then started yelling about how dare I fire when someone is in front of me, making him the hundredth retard I've seen with the complete lack of situational awareness to turn back into a teammates torpedoes, and then yell about it like a big idiot baby. Somehow, I've managed to go hundreds of games without wandering into friendly torpedoes passing me, but he wasn't the first to whinge about some imagined rule against the practice.

Anyway, I can't be the only one to hear this occasional moronic screaming (always from DD and CL drivers) who manage to kill themselves about never ever firing torpedoes if there's someone on your team in front of you who could potentially reverse course, ignore the incredibly obvious visual and audio warnings and gently caress their asses right out of the match.

It's considered bad form to fire torpedoes from behind an allied ship where there is a possibility of that ship, uh, interfering with the path of the torpedoes.

If you do it make sure to announce it in chat and ping the map square where the torpedoes are to emphasize it.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

That would have been seven or eight kills and a probable win but a New Mexico managed to land two citadels from 17km out because I did a dumb and sailed straight for 30s.

Then my pubbie teammates promptly face planted.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I bought the Fujin because what WoWS needs is more Minekazes terrorizing low tier BB drivers.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Warships is a fickle mistress. This morning I logged in before heading out to work and in my first battle in a Murmansk I was blown up in one salvo by a New York. Undeterred I queued up in a Minekaze and went on a 100+k damage rampage.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Pacra posted:

I just unlocked the stock Pensacola. uggggghhhhhhhh. Any tips besides never getting close to anyone ever

Stock up on your drink of choice.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The patch notes stated that they inverted the pattern for IJN CV torps, does that mean now the torps will funnel into a point instead of fanning out into a pattern where you're lucky to get one hit?

That's correct but only for manual drops. The triangle is very stretched out so you need to drop from farther out to allow the fish to converge. The drop pattern overall seems to be tighter, even when your planes are affected by flak.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hngh.

It was a 4 cap domination on Two Brothers. Most of our team went to the A cap and most of theirs went to the D cap. I fought a delaying action across C and kept getting crippling, but not killing salvos on ships only to see them pull out of range and live because there wasn't anyone finishing off targets. They were too busy trying to engage a Tirpitz head-on which went about as well as one would expect.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I love how even at tier eight it's still possible to catch idiots broadside with a full spread of torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Fizzil posted:

Im curious about destroyer AP shells, when do you use them in general? All i know so far is in Russian DDs i use AP on Omahas, but what about the furutaka, aoba, and the konigsberg/nurnberg ships?

Yes, yes, yes and maybe.