Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

What made warplanes a disaster?

They kept loving with the flight model and the control model and I think they were on their worst iteration when they launched? Balance was screwy too but I'll let someone who actually played the game cover that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

What was the cutoff? I didn't get all that many battles in because fuuuuuuck tier 2 2v2s.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

srb posted:

100 battles total in alpha stage; old info said 50.

I should make it then, I think I played 120ish.

BadLlama posted:

Would torpedoes even travel 2KM in real life? I know absolutely nothing about naval warfare that just seems like a far distance for a tube to plow through the water.

They have engines and fuel supplies, so the fancier ones could reach some ten-twenty km, or even upwards of 40 in extreme configurations. e:f;b twice over.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Of course, from the videos it doesn't really seem that they've modeled that "extreme danger to the ship they're on" aspect

Oh boy, you should try shooting a Kitakami.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It will be missed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

So you only need to account for lead time the game automatically figures out drop like in WoT?

Yeah. And drop gets absolutely massive as you start firing out towards max range and you get shell travel times of >10 seconds. A bunch of ships can actually have two or even more salvos in the air at once.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

For any first-timers, I recommend getting a St. Louis, the tier 3 american cruiser. It's got a shitload of 15 cm guns and is just a good time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Meanwhile in other ships if you turn so your side isn't towards torp bomber squadrons it makes life super hard for the carrier player.

That's why you use two squadrons from different directions. But I think you know that.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

demonR6 posted:

My favorite though are the guys who either intentionally or due to mishap end up parked on a beach.

Rudder damage :argh:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nordick posted:

Hmm, gonna take me a while to get the hang of the Phoenix. The speed really lets me get into more trouble I can handle with this glass jar.

The Phoenix is very confusing since it thinks it's not a destroyer.

Also good god what did they do to Japanese DD guns? These things were marginal before, now they're practically a liability.

Prav fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 13, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

-Troika- posted:

When's the closed alpha ship being handed out? Not till release, I assume.

There is some confusion on that point right now. I think as soon as WG sort their poo poo out.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

demonR6 posted:

You can hit 'P' to disable AA if your ship is equipped, don't do that.

Getting your destroyer spotted because someone had to take a pot-shot at some random fighter is a shame though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Would be a rather lovely pilot if they didn't spot a ship before being in range of AA anyway.

Destroyers with 127 mm DP guns have longer base AA range than air detection range.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That we don't get to name our ships really is an outrage.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Is projectile spread simply RNG heavy? I have my crosshair lined up dead on a ships citadel that is just floating and not moving and my entire volley flies over top of him.

Yeah you can absolutely whiff entire volleys just to bad luck.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Gamesguy posted:

Which slot 2 upgrade do you guys think is best for the Amagi(tier 8 BB)? 20% more range on AA guns, 10% faster reload/15% aiming on main guns, or more accuracy on main guns?

I think that's slower reload, faster aiming. It could be worded better.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think you'll get american nerds all that riled up by saying that Nanking did in fact happen.

Talk about how a young girl like Shimakaze shouldn't dress like that instead.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

babby kitakami

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

So dumb question, how the gently caress do you know what your crews level is? I looked for something similar to WoT in the UI but didn't see anything so figured crews weren't a thing?

You unlock captains at account level 5.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

DP main guns are a bit weird in that they just spit out AA fire automatically and you can be doing whatever with the guns at the same time, including laying down fire on enemy ships.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think a decent proportion of the islands could stand being not quite as tall.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's every Tier 2/3 game I've played in a nutshell:

There's less smoke if you don't go into DD alley.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Many enemy carriers obligingly sit dead still

Now to be fair that's as fast as the Langley can go.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

The premium atlanta sounds like what you are looking for. The main guns are dual purpose. However, it only has one quad launcher per side for torps and they only have a range of 4.5km. This, in a tier 8 cruiser.

I'm not sure that I'd describe the Atlanta as a ship that dispenses with ineffective popguns though!

SuperSix posted:

What are the pros of the American destroyers vs. the Japanese torp monsters?

Japanese destroyers: not visible from the moon. turret traverse is a battleship-tier.
American destroyers: visible from the moon, short-ranged torpedoes. quick turret traverse. only good for hunting Japanese DDs.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I don't see ineffective popguns on it. I see brutal DPM murder.

How does that work now? I lost mine in the wipe and it absolutely was hilarious before.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McSpanky posted:

What do people mean by "piaster"? I tried :google: but just got some stuff about old Italian money.

Beta-test gold has a different name so no one confuses it for real fake money.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Evasive maneuvers don't help against players that can't aim!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Rorac posted:

So, question. How the gently caress do you actually properly aim at things over 10 seconds away? It seems for me that once it takes longer than that for a shell to arrive, whether or not I hit depends more on luck and how the stars are aligned rather than any actual skill on my part. Is there any big secret I'm missing or is that just something I'll pick up with practice and play-experience?

Take your best guess, fire one turret, wait 5 secs or so to see if you're on target and make any adjustments. Now fire the rest of your guns. Then just keep laying fire since you should have a reasonable solution.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I can't for the life of me figure out what the actual acc differences are between the various guns because it's so helpfully listed as dispersion at max range. Thanks WG.

Do I just divide that by range? I'm loving terrible at this stuff.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Shooting at max range is a dice roll, but got drat today I magazine-critted a cruiser at 15km and it was radical. drat near spawn to spawn, he mad.

Having been on the receiving end of this I can affirm that yeah, he mad as loving hell.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm starting to really dislike Fault Line.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

And here my main complaint with Fault Line is that nothing ever loving happens. Of course, the fact that islands block either your shortest course to the action or your line of fire like 90% of the time isn't helping there.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

Where are these things like ROF upgrades? The only options I see on my ships are for things like reduced chance of crit to component/reduced repair time.

You unlock additional slots for fancier modernizations on higher-tier ships. Although that first ROF/turret traverse mod actually reduces your rate of fire (the +ROF/-traverse one comes later).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Panzeh posted:

American destroyers can still be slightly out of range of most BB secondaries to fire their torps.

If the BB is running the secondary modernization and the Advanced Firing Training skill this only works at T8-10.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

DDs really ought to have the current gunnery of US destroyers and the torpedo range and detectability of Japanese destroyers as the baseline. Then give to US boats better guns and Japanese better torpedoes.

I had a... Isokaze I think? chasing my Kongo before. She was 5ish kilometers away and all other enemy ships were in the other direction so I just put my butt to her and ignored her while sailing towards the action. What was she gonna do, peck me to death? Close in at 4 kn/h and torp me some time next week?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Most ships sink in a 1vmany situation, yeah. The question is what happens when you have a half-dozen BBs against a mixed fleet (it ain't pretty).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nordick posted:

Yeah I had a game in my Kongo where a Cleveland got a drop on me from behind an island. I got some decent hits on him, but he just tore me to loving bits with his fast firing batteries while I was struggling to turn fast enough. I think I got like half of his health, while he gunned me down to like 10 or 15% before loving off. And he didn't even use torpedoes.

Clevelands don't get torpedoes (and are tier for tier the best CA in-game) so yeah. A +1 tier CA under excellent conditions still didn't actually finish you off, took half his health in return and had to gently caress off.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

The biggest thing against Destroyers in my opinion is they really are not that much faster than the majority of other ships.

It's pretty funny how impotent they get if you just sail away from them.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

demonR6 posted:

Don't let CV's sit in the back of the map at a full stop with nothing to do but send endless calculated waves of torpedoes at you. If they are busy evading getting sunk and having to maneuver all over the place then they do not have time to work out complicated poo poo. Most people can't steer a ship without managing to run into another player, an island or off the map boundaries because they are so focused. I cannot imagine the difficulty a CV player would have when they are being actively hunted down and trying to play in Starcraft mode effectively.

You just shift-click a few waypoints. Takes less than three seconds. Unless the guy is bad enough that he can't do this but odds are he won't gridfuck you in the first place then.

The proper solution is to have CAs and CVs that are on the ball with their AA weapons, but, well, good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Has anyone else noticed weird behavior from your ships when traveling around islands? Example last night I was cruising between two small islands, pretty close to one and without touching anything my ships just decided to veer right into the island. I wasn't under fire and took a hit to my steering or anything my ship just decided it would be best to turn right into it.

Do you have the collision avoidance system turned on? My experience with that one is that it won't get you out of collisions, but it sure will get you into them.