Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Blindfiring torpedoes in a Minekaze really shouldn't work, but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Newbie question: In a cruiser, how does anti-air work? do I automatically shoot at planes that are within some range or do I have to press a button?

It's automatic. You can turn it off by pressing a button (p) but in a cruiser there's rarely any reason to do so.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WG nerfed the poo poo out of the Senjo because it was arguably better than the Des Moines since it gave you lower detectability and a decent gun ROF plus proper long lances. I'm not sure I agree that it was but at least there was room for an argument.

So they reduced the ROF a bunch, neutered the torpedoes, hugely increased the torp spotting range for a double whammy, changed how long you stay lit after firing, moved to a new armor/pen model and generally just hosed up everything that made it worth playing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

You mean had a good layout and put about 25% more shells downrange than the Des Moines. It might not win reliably against a Des Moines but it'd win reliably against anything else and likely do a better job of it, since it was literally more capable in every way except long range AA and HP pool. The Long lances got lost in a tree-wide nerfing. I'm not sure it needed all that though.

I don't know about you, but I consider HP pool to be pretty valuable. And yeah sure half that stuff were global changes but the end result is that the entire line is a joke.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

OSad posted:

Senjo could fire faster than the Des Moines? I thought the whole shtick with the Moines was that it could fire the fastest since it has autoloading guns or something. I think I'm mis-interpreting this somehow.

It's got three more guns but a slower reload. It used to be not that much slower so you'd put out more shells per minute. It's down to 4,6*12=55,2 shells/min now vs 90 on the D-M.

ps. Atlanta king of ships 168 s/m broadside.

Prav fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's a little hard to say because there's a few interest-killing but relatively trivial issues on top right now - mainly the terrible maps and completely hosed balance between ship types and within ship lines. Most players end up stopping at T6 simply because all ships over that point are either downgrades or just dreadfully boring.

But yeah, there does seem to be a need for some more involved game systems - more complex maps, more involved damage control, CVs certainly need a gameplay shakeup, deautomating AA a bit probably wouldn't hurt, etc. The problem is that the the utter cretins you find sailing your average battleship (seriously these guys make tanks players look smart and proactive) are already overwhelmed. Somehow.

Prav fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

James Garfield posted:

I didn't play tanks beta so I don't know how it compared

Current WOT but with half the bullshit.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Citadel pens really need to be toned down.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

James Garfield posted:

The HMS Hood did not have hit points. :science:

Also magazine detonations are already their own category.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I mean who doesn't love poi?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Get sunk by the battleship blob at 20 km like god intended.

These patch notes aren't making me feel very optimistic.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Should've started the lines earlier for more 17th 19th century goodness.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

OSad posted:

another obscure Russian cruiser

That's just an Omaha with two missing torp launchers and a few extra AA guns anyway.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That's a double-edged sword though because it's also lead to how underwhelming it is to go up in tier.

It's possible to have both satisfying advancement and no nut-kicking bottom-tier matches and stock grinds but right now I think we're just trading one fault for the other.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hagop posted:

It really removes any incentive too play the BB line. Every ship is just the same poo poo different name. Cruisers and DDs have so far been better but I am only at tier 6.

DDs are so samey that after some upgrades your ship doesn't even look any different.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PirateBob posted:

I've seen several Yubaris. Are people actually paying money for premium ships for use in closed beta :stare:

They'll also get them on launch.

Still this whole thing feels at least one step skeevier than WoT's preorders.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PirateBob posted:

As in, gold for use in the CB/OB? I don't think that's unreasonable.

Worked well for tanks and planes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I always assumed that it varied from plane model to plane model. Can't say that I checked though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If they do, they'll need to change the game mechanics. It's pretty easy to defeat that mod by changing course and speed, but enough people are getting mad about dying in two or three salvoes.

Changing it so that engagements between accurate players don't end so drat quickly would be a good change regardless of the mod really.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

What's the base chance of setting things on fire? 5%, so the 5% upgrade doubles it?

Depends on shell, so it varies a bit from ship to ship and caliber to caliber. Roughly:

127 mm 5%
152 mm 10%
203 mm 15%
360 mm 25%
410 mm 30%
460 mm 35%

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SERPUS posted:

I'm in a tier 4 Japanese battleship after about 10 games. Can I assume that the xp rate is buffed up for the beta?

Unclear. Exp costs are definitely discounted but the credits economy seems to be (vaguely) tuned around players being really bad and high tiers being expensive to repair.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if everything gets ~500% grindier in the totally-not-release OB patch.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/11327-development-bulletin-031/

Boat stuff.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

All that stuff's already happened. drat the 3.0 patch.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

My favorite detail with the draw rates is that last patch reduced the rate that you capped and got points from domination points.

You'd think that the designers would consider players getting >10% draw rates on a 20 min timer to be something very very concerning but apparently getting a victory was actually too easy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Montefarle posted:

Players on the main forums wanted lower cap rates, got lower cap rates.

They also wanted more visible torpedoes, got more visible torpedoes, better BB armor got better BB armor, less viable cruisers got less viable cruisers, etc etc.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Theoretically, anyway.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's much more a map, balance and playerbase issue than it was a dom rate issue. Fixing the first two should have been the priority.

Of course most of what's happening with the game is that the players are getting the game that they deserve. Generally I think people should get things that are better than what they deserve but hey I guess this works too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I don't get how changing parts of a game mode is not "balance" seeing as how balance is more than how ships interact with each other in a vacuum.

The main thing is that current lethality means that moving onto a cap point in anything but a destroyer is very, very dangerous. So no one does it and a grabbed point often just ticks away uncontested after all the small ships kill each other or 80% of the other team is dead. Couple this with maps like Fault Line and, well, we've seen the result. Reducing the cap rate is a band-aid that hides the underlying issues.

Unless, of course, you actually like two-salvo kill model. I don't, and I hope the armor changes in the next patch address it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

You're gonna get the Minekaze nerfed. :wooper:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pendent posted:

Does anyone know if progress will be wiped after beta? I would assume so but I can also apparently spend gold and am using premium time so there's a bit of doubt.

They're calling release "open beta" and there'll be a final wipe when they move from closed beta to open beta. The preorder packages will get reapplied then.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Type 59 is going to be whatever semi-fast BB they accidentally make too good.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

There should be a weeaboo/wehraboo equivalent for people who want US ships to be heads and shoulders above their competition because of realism (no nevermind those other ships, those should be balanced around gameplay). I suggest eaglefuckers.

We just call them "americans" usually.

Eaglefucker is nice though. Gonna try to remember that one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

What you're shooting at matters a lot. Destroyers and light cuisers tend to be more citadel than not.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Locator posted:

How can it take 3 minutes to do this, just loving toss all the battleships into battles and then add in the other ships whenever there are a pair of them in match range

This is what the MM is trying to avoid having to do. It wants a fairly even spread of classes so it waits for the queue to have some non-BB boats. Then after a bit it goes "ahhhh fuckit" and puts together a mostly-BB match anyway.

~

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It'll be one of the Standard-type battleships. Can't remember which one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Thing is that maximum firing range is capped based on the height and width of the fire director (gotta see it to shoot it). On early US BBs that thing is really low and tiny, so you get rangedcapped way earlier than the shells start to come in at high angles.

On something like the Fuso on the other hand you can plunge all day. Assuming that anyone is dumb enough to keep a course that lets you hit them with a 18 sec shell travel time, anyway.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Accusing others of being tunnel-visioned when you're the one eating torps is p. amusing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

If it looks too good to be true and whatnot.

Not that companies should engage in horseshit deceitful sales and marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Numismancer posted:

Oh wow, they just removed the 6k gold and slots they'd given out, that's a ham-handed move.

Impressive. They must be actively trying to piss people off.