Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Now that the NDA is down, have a screenshot

I lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I hope Bismarck is a crappy tier 7 and they go with the nutty H-series designs for 8-10.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

If we were in the beta weekends, we're automatically in this, right? Or do we have to apply again?

Yep, I could download the client at 9:00 AM and just start playing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

hopterque posted:

Playing a battleship can be pretty rough when everyone fucks off to shoot at cruisers or whatever and you get swarmed by 2 or 3 destroyers.

Let me shoot cruisers, I'm really good at that, but please god protect me from the little bastards.

Pffft you should be one-shotting all those destroyers

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

No it is because the devs are scared to use their brain. Smoke screens and torpedo runs by mass destroyers can break up a line quick. Right now it is just chaos and it really limits what could potentially be a good team game.

This isn't a sim game with a sim player base, torpedoes would instantly kill 60% of the pubbies.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Who gives a gently caress about pubbies. They are gonna suck and they are going to die regardless of what the map looks like. I can tell you exactly what the meta game is going to turn into in a bit. The long range BBs and crusiers and carriers are going to stand off the islands and shoot whatever broken up group or single moron decides to cap a point or come through and attack the line. Both sides will do this until either the timer runs out or it almost runs out and one team makes a last ditch effort that just ends up looking stupid. There are only two things you can do to prevent this, either removes 2/3 of the islands or make a few big islands or a port or anything realistic so you can use realistic tactics OR you are going to have to make each and every ship along a tier be just as tough and have as much killing power. So a yamato would be as tough as a dd, and that in my eyes would make for a really dumb game.

They're going to design the game around the average player, so the developers obviously give a gently caress about pubbies.

Besides, islands work fine. Cruisers and destroyers go fast enough that they can slip between the islands before the battleships get there. They also usually cap the point, providing incentive for people to keep pushing. Camping makes you an easier target by everything.

What they do need to do is slow down the cap points because games shouldn't end while half of each team is still alive.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Buddy there have been plenty of games where there have been fleet actions in open ocean and all that crap you typed didn't happen. Here are just two solutions to that, have more than one dd make smoke so there is too much area for the other team to cover all of it. Have the dds far enough ahead so the smoke obscures vision and lets the other teams line change course a bit so all those torps and shots miss by a mile.

We can go around and around like this all day. I don't understand why so many of you have a bee in your bonnet about having more map variety. If, once it is in we cant make it work then sure change it, but the fact you are so resistant to trying something new in a new game in a beta is loving crazy town.

Was there a general audience game that features fleet maneuvers in open ocean? I can't think of one.

World of tanks has been out for like 6 years and the average player still can't read their minimap, and still does things that objectively hinder their team. You literally cannot expect cooperation and competency from the player base, so why introduce maps that will require that?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I'm the opposite, I hate driving them. The number of times I've been single shotted or single salvoed today before getting within torpedo range is unreal. Destroyers are like a couple of the light tanks, really fun when nobody is shooting at you. I think they need a survivability buff, they're far and away the weakest torpedo delivery system in the game right now.

Cruisers on the other hand, I'll take some more of that.

Try not getting shot. It's actually pretty easy.

vandiar posted:

Man going from a fully gunpakalypse'd St Louis to a stock Phoenix is jarring as heck. What a poopy ship :flaccid:

Phoenix and Omaha both got an armor nerf. They're fast and have good guns though. In a pinch, you can launch 6 torps and wreck stuff.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You should also constantly be doing S turns at varying degrees and speeds, and weaving between islands especially if there is a destroyer anywhere near you as eating a full salvo of torpedos is no bueno.

Just turning away from them should be fine. You have a long response time, you shouldn't be shortening it by travelling towards them.

Also, I don't even bother repair kitting for fires in battleships if there are destroyers or planes near. You have enough health to withstand a fire, but flooding will murder you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No, it isn't. Certainly not from people who actually have some notion of how to shoot in this game, and doing turns and S patterns to dodge fire only works at long range.

The Tatsuta cruiser is so much better than the Wakatake destroyer at every single thing it's not even funny, all it lacks is a smokescreen.

Just stop getting shot. Use islands and pubbie distractions to sneak up on people and then kill them in one spread. You can kinda rush battleships, but cruisers shoot quickly enough that they can murder you if you just sail directly in front of them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

^^ "Don't get shot at" is just as stupidly useless advice in botes as it is tanks, it's a combat game, you're going to get shot at, and if you're not getting shot at you're sitting in a spot that is totally useless to your team like CHAI sniping... or you're a Rhoomba. gently caress Rhoombas.

Oh hey that explains why the Tatsuta is better than the same tier destroyer, should have guessed from looking at it - it is a destroyer. It's just wearing a cruiser shirt because it was a destroyer leader, so in game it's getting the best of both worlds.

You are complaining that people are shooting you and damaging you when you sail your unarmored ship directly in front of their guns.

The Japanese cruisers are just as fragile as destroyers though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, no they aren't, not the ones I've driven anyway.

If I don't drive out where their guns can shoot at me I can't really shoot at them either can I?

Steps to play destroyer
-Sail around waiting for ships to separate
-Sail around islands and smokescreens avoiding fire
-Sail around distracted ships
-Torpedo ships when they aren't looking
-Sail away

Where are you going wrong here? Destroyers are easy.

It is trivially easy to crit hit all the Japanese cruisers for max damage, and they are way easier to hit. They do go slower, so maybe you aren't suiciding into the other team as quickly.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

A St. Louis will basically instapop any destroyer it hits without needing critical damage

What I'm doing is sailing destroyers - where are these distracted ships? When I get anywhere near torpedo range enemy ships actively abandon whatever they were shooting at to primary the destroyer before it fires, about 7 times out of 10. A slow firing battleship that misses the first salvo can be killed, but a battleship that hits mostly kills in the first hit, and cruisers get to fire a couple times first.

Look, I can get away with it every game so you're probably just bad at destroyers :shrug:

It's okay, I'm trash at Battleships and my shots always straddle what I'm shooting at.

Fart Car '97 posted:

So at what ranges should I be using HE? Given I'm on a Myogi with ~ 13k max range

Battleships should just use AP all the time, unless you need to kill destroyers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

How are crits calculated? Location struck? Ammo type fired? I get them every now and then but it seems to be a crapshoot.

It's by location. Crit hit boxes let your shells get close to their max damage, so AP is better. Midship on a battleship is a good place for crits. The length of s Japanese cruiser is also good. Also, any space underneath a gun turret

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Strobe posted:

I'm having trouble killing carriers in cruisers too, tbh. I'd definitely like some pointers on where to shoot them and with what.

Set them on fire with a round of HE, so they can't arm their planes. AP might be overpenning, but you want to aim for their stern either way.

btw DDs op

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I noticed that among the third level of promotions for the captain there was one for popping smoke. Does it just improve destroyers smoke ability or does it allow any ship to do it? Could I use it to hide my carrier in a cloud of fog (gently caress planes and their slow landings)?

Those abilities are ship-locked.

Damage Control is Battleship-only (And the Kawachi doesn't even get it).

Smoke is for destroyers

Planes are obviously for carriers. Scout planes are counted as well, but it would be a grand waste.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

Ah, good thing I didn't pick that then, thanks. :)
The tooltip only said it was available for destroyers, not that it was exclusive.

I made a mistake, Damage Control fixes flooding, fires, or module damage.

Repair work is the battleship health refiller.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nordick posted:

Yeah that was me.

And a few pages later I'm arguing with NTRabbit.

:negative:

It's way easier just to assume he's poo poo at the game.

Keksen posted:

I'm feeling really stupid asking, but I just got an Omaha and I can't figure out how to make my scout plane do anything else than fly around my ship in a small circle? I swear I've seen other peoples' scouts all over the map. I must have tried about every button on the keyboard now.

E: vv If you can't I guess I can stop searching for the key. What does launching it even do then, though? Increase view range?

They just tool around out of control. They increase your view range pretty dramatically.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
DD tricks, either surprise people completely (Not possible in some maps), or travel directly towards them. It's very hard for a battleship to land a citadel hit when a destroyer is bow on. You can then pop smoke at close range, launch torps, and escape the secondaries.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I stopped getting mad about being hit by friendly torps after the fifth or sixth game. It's like getting angry about the sunrise. There's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's going to happen every day.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't ever been hit by friendly torps, even when I'm doing daring attacks from 1km away.

BB tricks, shoot cruisers first. You're not going to one-shot a Fuso no matter how hard you try, but you can definitely blow up Clevelands and Omahas and clear up the lanes for DDs to make suicide runs. If you have competent DDs, they'll even survive!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

That was my brother. I forgot to tell him to make sure it's "random battle". I was wondering why the team pools were so small. :ughh:

I'm really worried that a good portion of pubbies are playing this game exclusively on co-op and don't realize it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Strobe posted:

I really need to learn how to shoot battleships. I'm consistently losing, and badly, against BBs lower tier than I am in the Omaha. Both the Kawachi and Myogi are about as accurate as a squirt gun, so being unable to outshoot them is frustrating and I'm probably doing things wrong.

You don't want to get in shooting duels with battleships unless you are also in a battleship.

Kawachi is trash, snake in and out of your max range and keep damaging it, and it isn't going to dodge anything you toss at it. It doesn't even do much damage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

God drat is domination bad. These pubbies are terrible. They all rush for the land grab and completely don't realize that is pretty much never the reason for their losses. Deaths cost you waaay more than owning all 3 circles.

It's pretty important if you can actually shoot or torp when you enter the circle, otherwise yeah.

I've been dying in the first 4 minutes in my destroyers whenever I get a domination game, but I usually torp-sink one or two other ships before I go. My winrate went up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Innerguard posted:

I know this is probably a dumb question because things are super early and it is all up for rebalance / testing etc, but if I was looking to generally be a speed rear end in a top hat / never get seen or hit and just dunk on things with torps, which nation's destroyer line should I look for at present? I see that cruisers carry torps after a certain tier too, is that something that should be factored in?

The Isokaze is at a good position. It's a tier 4 Japanese destroyer, it's got 3x2 torpedo tubes with good damage and reload, and mainly fights trash tier cruiser and battleships.

The destroyer motto is "torp things quickly", so don't expect to live very long, but fighting at very close range is fun and rewarding. If you launch a torp spread while a ship is parallel to you and within 2km range, they almost cannot dodge it.

Harik posted:

It's a tighter spread, at least on the tanks I tended to drive. I like being able to pop someone right in their ammo rack when I aim for it, dammit!

I deleted a spergy-long post about it, but the difference between the games is in WoWS you are shooting volleys, not individual shells. So it's a shotgun effect - big dispersion means as long as the giant circle is over the target, it's as good as if you're dead-center. Sloppy aim gets (on average) as many shells into them as good aim. With more accuracy, not only do you have to work to hit someone, but someone who does that work gets rewarded for it by getting more hits.

If somebody knows what they're doing, they'll change heading and speed and make aiming actually important. I can win battleship duels because the other guy just travels in a straight line and I citadel-hit all day. It's the same in tanks, being good is more about killing pubbies quickly than anything else.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

McGavin posted:

Yeah, I'd say that torpedo speed is far more important than range. Long range torpedoes generally have pretty lovely speed in the water, making them much easier to detect and dodge. Torpedoes with a higher speed, fired from close range, are much harder to dodge.

There are two ways to use torpedoes.

One way is by playing chicken, and it guarantees kills.

The other way is to pick out particularly dumb-looking pubbies, and launch a long-range spread and hope they wander into it.

Both are acceptable. Sometimes, you can't get into torpedo duelling range without eating it, so you just try and pick off the dumbest pubbie in the pack.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TheFluff posted:

There are basically only two maps in rotation for tier IV, Fault Line and Big Race. So yeah, you'll see them a lot. At tier 5 you start seeing North, and at tier 6 Islands of Ice shows up sometimes.

Part of the problem with destroyers getting worse is the high tier maps. North has a lot of open space and no domination mode, so the big ships are never obligated to get in close-range fights. Ice has the opposite problem, it's so constricting that there's no room to maneuver.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Propagandist posted:

Battleships just don't seem all that fun to me, but it may be because I'm playing it wrong/suck/using the wrong ammo. I'm currently in the Kongo.

Generally I lob salvos at people and by the time my shots get there they've changed course and my poo poo misses. Sometimes I even see my shells hit all around another battle ship, in front and behind it, but no hits. As the game progresses, cruisers generally close in on me and send 3-4 salvos to my one, pretty much out-damaging me. I'm not having any luck one shotting anything but a destroyer either.

You can well and truly gently caress up cruisers in a Kongo once you get good at aiming. Battleships do so much damage that waiting for a good shot is better than wasting it on angled battleship or a faraway destroyer. BB life is a bit to slow for me, so I don't play them often, but they have a really high skill ceiling.

James Garfield posted:

Arming range is really short, it starts where the range indicator starts.
Long range torpedoing is a losing proposition because torpedoes get spotted from four times as far away as in the weekend alphas. Only an afk ship is likely to take any actual hits.
Close range torpedoes aren't that great because you have to close in battleship secondary range to have a good chance of hitting, and if you don't sink it outright you'll die. Even if you do close in and sink a battleship outright, you take unsustainable amounts of damage.

Pubbies get really bad tunnel vision. The Japanese destroyers are saved by their torp range and fast speed, and I've been doing okay in the Hatsuharu. And if you time your torpedo runs right, the secondaries won't get a good volley off before you do 60000 torpedo damage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Friendly destroyers are truly the most dangerous enemy. I just had a game where somebody managed to one-shot me, with their guns. :psyduck:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Sixth Sense is pretty much a must on frigates past tier 6.

And you really have to have patience. I basically sat behind an inlet for like 30 seconds while a BS was approaching. I knew for sure he didn't see me since I have the detection perk. As soon as he steamed by....8 torps all hit his side.

Sixth Sense is bad. Even if you aren't detected, your torps can be.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Doesn't really make a difference when my torps are 4.5k

The point is that it gets you within range / behind them before you get spotted. Most of the time the battleships dueling scoped in won't notice the torps until its way way too late.

If they don't notice the torps, why would they notice you?

Also, sixth sense isn't preventing you from getting spotted, it's just telling when you do. It doesn't make a difference because it's super obvious when you're spotted in this game. Take the smoke screen skill instead, it'll actually hide you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

Sometimes I don't understand how XP works in this game. I have had games that were pretty similar as this in terms of kills and damage done, yet I have never came close to this amount of XP. Am I right to assume this is your 1.5x ?

E: Very nice game btw.

I think capping gives good xp because I've gotten 1000+ games where I've only done 30k gun damage but capped a point or two.

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I could get the zen of torpedoes down, it always feel like I dodge or hit with them by blind luck, while I'll watch someone else send them out like they grew up torping poo poo. I'm probably not doing enough to dodge the things before they fire, but usually I get focused on gunning down the destroyer instead of surviving. I have a feeling my recklessness from tanks will not a be a help.

The best way to escape torpedoes is to narrow your angle from the destroyer (Or cruiser if that somehow happened). The distance at which you need to turn away changes depending on the size of your ship and your turning radius. If you're farther than you need to be, congrats on escaping those torps. If you are right at the threshold, you're going to have to run away in a straight line for a while. If you're too close you die.

You have two options when it comes to hitting with torps. One is using the lead at long-range and hoping for the best. It's okay to blind fire sometimes, if there aren't good openings. You want to aim for battleships because they tend to get tunnel vision.

Close-range torpedoing is the good poo poo. You want to be within 6km of battleships, 5km of cruisers, and as close as you want with other destroyers. You can get to that distance just by charging your ship in low tiers, but above tier 5 you'll got shot to pieces before that happens. Instead, you need to use islands as cover as you get close. In fact, it's often very useful to stop your ship behind an island and let your target come to you. Just use to lead indicator to figure where you need to be, and where you need to aim. If you notice it changing, you need to lead it. If it is getting farther from the target, they are turning towards you, and you should just take a guess and launch torps ahead. If it is getting close to the target, they're turning away, and if they turn fast enough, you'll never hit them. The speed at which the indicator changes is dependant on how maneuverable the target ship is, and how close together you are.

Certain ships you just want to avoid. Clevelands are bullshit and will eat you up unless they are completely distracted.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Wow, Japanese destroyers are a waste of time. The Shimakaze looks good, but everything else just keeps getting slower and fatter while not making up for it in torpedo tubes. The guns are totally hosed the entire way down though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

Just pretend that the line ends with the Minekaze and play that until you can't stand yet. another. loving. match. on. god. drat. Fault. Line.

poo poo no it's worse than that, the Mutsuki even has a lower ROF and traverse on the main guns and comes with the wonderful option of going down to 2x1 12 cms for main armament in exchange for a few of those dreadful 25 mm AA guns.

North is a terrible map for destroyers. Icebergs is pretty good. But they seriously need to add more.

And I've sunk a fair bit of aircraft with those Mutsuki guns. The guns are just so lovely that you'd get more xp from plane kills then gun duels. I sold the Mutsuki immediately once I was through though.

Vengarr posted:

They're apparently unfucking the traverse speed on the IJN DD's guns and reducing the range at which you can spot torps, which are significant buffs. Those long range torpedoes are theoretically pretty good if you could actually hit anyone with them. Spotting range is only 7k-ish for the IJN DDs, so you can sit at 10ish and shoot torps forever. Limited only by the loving godawful reload time for the oxygen torpedoes. The Minekaze has 1.3 shots per second, which is a 30-second reload. The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has. The Shimakaze has .3 shots per second...yeargh.

The Shimakaze shoots 5 torps at a time and 3 launchers, which is a fair tradeoff for longer reload. Also I think you mean .3 shots per minute.

But the loving Kagero gets 2x4 tubes, when the Fubuki has 3x3 tubes. Why? It's only advantage is slightly more hp, what the gently caress

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

What's wrong with Nagato? Same guns but less turrets, less AA, higher tier?

It's got bigger, less accurate guns, and less turrets. At tier you only need like one cruiser to provide more than enough AA.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OSad posted:

I saw Slim Jim Pickens in a game yesterday. First goon I saw playing this game that I could recognize.

I would've said hi, but I actually only noticed his name as he was sinking. :saddowns:

I was basically alt-tabbed all of last night doing suicide runs in the Hatsuharu. You'll never see me in tier 7 again!

I usually can't kill any battleship goons, because they know ancient and mysterious anti-destroyer tactics like "turn away from destroyer"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Magni posted:

Had that happen on Big Race today, too. We passed so close that the primary turrets couldn't keep up tracking anymore while the secondaries kept firing into each other at point blank. I just took that as an opportunity to blow a neary cruiser into pieces with my forward turrets. :black101:

What I'm saying is that people need to be more aggressive and willing to get stuck in with their BBs.

Make sure not to do this near islands or destroyers will eat you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Yes to the AA capabilities but no to the extra guns. US Cruisers generally have better firepower and better protection than Japanese cruisers. The Japanese cruisers are almost all citadel.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on with the Japanese cruisers. The Tier 8 is almost exactly the same as the tier 7, but with 5 less guns and even less armour.

Then the tier 9 is the same as the tier 8, but the guns shoot slower! What!

No cruiser in the game match up to the Des Moines though, that thing shoots cruiser shells at 10rpm. It's a tier 10 Cleveland, which honestly deserves a nerf, or at least a tier-up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I'm going to complain about the Japanese tech tree again. The Fubuki's guns actually shoot at a competitive rate, and it has enough turrets to deal damage. Its first hull upgrade reduces its artillery score, but it doesn't tell you why in the harbour.

Turns out, the hull upgrade reduces the rof of one of the ship's turrets. This isn't a game-changer, but I don't understand why it would do this.

The gun upgrade though, reduces the rof of all the ship's turrets. In exchange you gain marginal AA power from dual-purpose guns. But destroyers don't even use their main guns for AA. And the harbour screen actually rates it as an improvement, telling you that it's an rof increase from the single gimped turret from the hull upgrade. This might actually be a bug, but I can't tell where somebody hosed up here.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Magni posted:

Also, someone said they get 5 less guns from tier 8 on: That's because the upgrade on the Mogami (and all the cruisers after it) switch the turrets from tripple 6-inchers into twin 8-inchers.
It's actually a bit of a sidegrade on the Mogami as you lose weight of fire and DPM in return for more damage per shell (and a higher chance to score penetrations against BBs and american cruisers), higher shell velocity and faster turret turning.

That makes more sense. It still doesn't explain why those guns go from 5rpm to 4rpm from Myoko to Ibuki.

Insert name here posted:

For whatever reason sequential fire fucks me up super hard and I can never hit anything when I try to do it so I always just for for the full salvo fire. I literally don't understand why this is. :iiam:

I don't think there is any accuracy loss built into the game, but it always seems like it when I shoot in sequence.

It's also a good way to get tunnel vision and run into islands/torpedoes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Most of these are really bizarre so I'm assuming that they're going to stick with Americans and Japanese for a while after release. After the obligatory Soviet tree of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

What is it with all the battleship players who at the start of the round set an auto pilot route to just in front of the carrier edge spot, reduce their speed to 1/4 to make sure the players who go full speed ahead into the other team will die alone and then smugly miss shots at maximum range until they're sunk?

I don't know, what's with cruisers that bump into me for approximately 5 seconds and fly into uncontrollable rage? All while no enemy ships are even spotted.