Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

I don't think I understand battleship aiming. I can hit turning destroyers in a Nicholas at ~8km within two rounds but I can't even hit a stationary (grounded) targets at 12km reliably in a Fuso. Something just isn't clicking. Is there really that much spread? Is it just a matter of adjusting for round travel times against moving targets? Is there an accuracy penalty for moving or turning?

Should I just give up and drive close enough that I can't miss?

At long range, shots will plunge nearly straight downwards at the end of their path. That means you need to be have good aim, but you have a high chance of missing if you're shooting at something small, or mis-aimed to begin with.

After a certain distance, your shots will start to travel more parallel to the ocean. It doesn't matter as much if you aim too far behind a ship, your shell still needs to travel through space occupied by your target.

Basically, it's easier to hit closer ships. The Fuso isn't terribly accurate either.

Edit: This is true for all ships. The angle that your shells land will change based on where your target is within the maximum range on your guns. You can use this knowledge to set fire to battleships more easily, by shooting HE at max range and hitting their decks.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OSad posted:

Edit: Maybe "love" is a silly word to use here, but it does feel like when people mention IJN cruisers, it's "Well, they're a bit worse than the american ones, but they've got torps!".

I get pretty marginal use from them, but they're a decent ambush tool if there's an American cruiser or battleship hanging around an island. Under no circumstances try to out-torp a destroyer.

North is a terrible map. It's just too big. 90% of my draws are on North, because it encourages pubbies to wander into nothing and also eliminating any use for destroyers besides fastcapping.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Navyfield lasted for years and this game has a foundation that is 10x better I think.

Navyfield was a fun game that actively punished you for trying to play it. But the gunnery in Navyfield was much more engaging than what Warships has.

The Battlestations series had gunnery like Warships, but there were more arcadey features for you to preoccupy yourself with. You could aim secondaries and AA platforms, respawn ships, fly your own planes, manage damage control, and switch control between multiple ships.

There needs to be more to do in this game. Also it seems like the damage model was changed to a more unpleasant state from the weekend to the closed beta. Previously, it was relatively hard to get consistent citadel hits on any ships besides Japanese cruisers. Now it seems that everything is about that fragile, while the Japanese cruisers end up softer than most destroyers.

Unrelated, but one of the Nagato's hidden strengths is that it's so goddamned inaccurate that it's impossible to juke it in a destroyer. You'll swerve, and one shell will go where you were heading, and the other one flies out, hits you amidship and one-shots you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The HMS Hood did not have hit points. :science:

Seriously though, this game is not realistic enough for that to matter. Citadel hits are functionally equivalent to damage RNG. In tanks the random damage spread is +- 25%, in boats it's two orders of magnitude.

You can guarantee citadel hits by shooting from a specific range, at a specific point on a ship. It's not really RNG.

Whether or not this is good game design is another question.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zotix posted:

Do you think a game like war thunder that should have realistic modeling for the ship's as opposed to a hp model like warships will have more interesting gameplay.

The game is at its worst when single salvoes wreck your boats. If anything, damage should be reduced across the board.

Actually, War Thunder gets away with a lot because you can respawn in arcade mode. I don't think Wargaming's engine can even support that, but it would make playing certain ship classes less frustrating.

Addendum: Why the gently caress is the Fubuki speed limited to 35 knots? That's cruiser speed.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 5, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Insert name here posted:

The thing I notice most about my Pensacola is that I get hosed up way faster and more often by shells than in my Cleveland. Blaming the ~40% less armour. :argh:

It's always really jarring to see Clevelands side-by-side with higher tier cruisers, because the fuckers are so gigantic. I mistook a New Orleans for a destroyer because it looked so small next to a Cleveland.

JuffoWup posted:

Welcome to the aoba? The aoba is a fine ship when only facing other t6s or lower, but gets really inadequate when up tiered. And I know I was a big champ of the ship earlier on. The gun is still amazing, but my existence on the battlefield seems to be getting weaker the long cb is going.

Aobas are very fine ships as long as you have a dumber ship ahead of you to take all the damage. It can't face a Cleveland on its own, but it sure can take 10,000 hp off one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Generalissimo posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'support' but the World of Warplanes tutorial missions had respawn programmed into them a long time ago. I don't know if they still do and I don't care to check, but there you go.

Just talking poo poo about WG really, I have no idea.

James Garfield posted:

I think navy field with a crew system, tiering, free-to-play setup and matchmaking like tanks would be really fun. As is, navy field did a lot of stupid things but battleship and carrier gameplay was an awful lot more interesting than in boats.

I assume you mean "better free-to-play setup", because I definitely remember being asked to pay 20 bucks if I didn't want all my trained gunners to die.

I didn't play NF very long after that, I assume the bullshit got worse.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zettace posted:

Put them in a Battleship only battledome or something then.

You could spawn all the pubbie battleships on land and the game would be no different. They're such a laughable non-factor. I keep seeing Fusos ignore other battleships and try to snipe carriers at max range.

When you think about it, battleships don't actually have a hard counter. Carrier torps are pretty laughable at-tier. If you're any good, you can limit your damage to one torp per run, leaving the poor carrier with a dpm that could rival a Q-ship.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It would be all kinds of sweet having ten dudes run a battleship on voice comms.

I think you could do this on WWII Online, but only in one of the trashy destroyers.

Cythereal posted:

And the Yamato runs out of fuel five minutes in.

Yamato and an Agano vs. 10 Carriers of every tier.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tuco22 posted:

Outside of the Phoenix there hasn't been a particular ship I've disliked in that line. I guess once you get the Des Moines the Baltimore will start to feel sort of underwhelming if you still have it and it still pulls the short straw in MM.

I dislike the St. Louis because it's too slow. This is why I torture myself with high-tier destroyers and Japanese cruisers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shalhavet posted:

Has anyone gotten a list of what modifications are worthwhile and which are terrible? The wording on some is poor enough that I can't tell if they nerf or buff stats.

Also, I can't see anyone in Teamspeak. I get the following:

<17:35:10> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions)
<17:35:17> insufficient client permissions (failed on b_channel_join_permanent)

The 10%+ load time is a nerf in exchange for faster turret turn rate. Everything else ought to be straightforward.

It sucks that you can't pimp out a Kongo with more crap. That ship is phenomenal.

xthetenth posted:

Slow ships suck really hard, I understand (I say as I desperately wish for slow-rear end US battleships).

My gut feeling tells me that 16-inch guns at tier 5 will be the most frustrating thing in the world, but I cannot turn down more ships.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't understand this RNG stuff everybody is talking about. Are you trying to shoot from maximum range all game?

It takes work to safely close the distance between your ships to 5-8km, but once you're there, you can lead your shots and get big citadel hits every time.

With the Cleveland's guns, you might be hitting penetration issues because they're pretty slow-velocity and low calibre. Once you upgrade to bigger guns, citadel hits are more frequent, so long as you're hitting the right spots.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Vengarr posted:

"An experimental 'Ocean' map without any obstacles"

gently caress me sideways

That's going to be miserable

Stevefin posted:

Or WoWS will just turn into navy field 3.0, since everyone only played the open waters map :negative:

:psyduck:

You don't even manually angle your guns, you just point and click... What are half the ships in the game going to do?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Where are you even seeing the patch notes, because I just see "3.03 is coming!"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Early versions of the game had actual long-range gunnery duels of the type you'd expect from a naval game; currently ranges on guns are compressed. This is the original Warships UI.

Note the overhead view with the line-and-CEP setup. Looks like it'd make things easy to hit, right?

At maximum range, your shell flight time was thirty seconds or more. With that kind of hang time, hitting a target meant guessing their maneuvers correctly; the only people who died easily were the people who didn't maneuver. The Russian fanbase, and a few vocal useful idiots on NA, decided however that zigzagging was hard, and this made the game too simple. (Or too complex, we got both arguments, often at the same time.)

Thus, in version 1.8, it was disposed of. Ranges were shortened to what we have now. Buoyancy, a separate hitpoint bar that tracked your torpedo and below the waterline damage, was removed, along with its unique effects. (You slowed down if you had less than 1/3 left.) They did not, however, and still have not, reworked the armor model; meaning that most ships are currently incapable of engaging from their immunity zone to their own guns.

This sounds like a tedious game that would take forever to play. I wouldn't want to manually guess where someone would be 30 seconds after I click a button. Real life sailors didn't even do that, they fed a bunch of data into a computer that calculated the final destination for them.

This game doesn't have to simulate real life, it just has to be fun. Reduce damage across the board and call it a day.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Why can turrets be permanently knocked out? It doesn't serve any purpose besides annoying the player for the rest of the game. Just leave the damage mechanic in so people can aim at turrets or whatever, there's no reason to gimp players for a whole match for no reason.

Today, I made the mistake of trying to talk to pubbies in chat. One guy told me that destroyers should not fight destroyers, and that I should look up "proper battlefield tactics". A different guy told me he disagreed, and then restated what I had typed earlier. It was confusing and terrible. Why are the devs listening to these people?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
News report: Mogami citadel pennable by Fubuki guns. All 6 of them, too.

Citadel hits seem more and more like a range game than anything else. If you're too close for your gun, your shots might be sailing right over that hitbox, so you need to be in a sweet spot where they angle just right.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Did they fix the issue of long range BB fire needing to be aimed at the bow of the ship because of the hitbox lag?

Yes.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They probably ought to just put it in the game. It's never going away so might as well embrace it.

If they do, they'll need to change the game mechanics. It's pretty easy to defeat that mod by changing course and speed, but enough people are getting mad about dying in two or three salvoes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I play under the assumption that every other player is using the mod. You definitely need to be changing up your speed and course even if they aren't using the mod because with practice you can hit people from long range without any help from a mod.

Yes, but the average pubbie is brain-dead. And while they can accept getting reamed occasionally, they might not spend money on the game if everybody shits on them 24/7.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I find the damage from the Kongo's guns erratic however - I pretty much need to be under 10km to do anything more than a couple hundred hp's of damage. I still fire long-range shots just to see if I can hit or do damage, but I would think high arcing shots coming down at a steep angle would do at least a little bit of damage, but nope. I'm guessing it has to do with the shot angle and RNG, but I'm not sure since I never really paid all that much attention to where the shells hit when I managed to land one from 16-18km out. Going to have to look a little closer at that to get a good feel for the best places to aim - I mostly try for the water line, but it's not like it's a laser I can aim with pinpoint accuracy at that range. I'm just happy if I can manage to hit the drat target!

Anyways I now have the Fuso, so I'll see if my accuracy and damage are any better. I still think cruisers and destroyers are more fun, however.

You have the same guns, so it won't be any different.

Your angle of impact for your projectiles will change based solely on how far they travel. To get maximum citadel hits, you want to be either really far or moderately close to your target. In between, it's ineffective for battleships.

And of course, your target's bearing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the citadel in the same place for all ships? If not, is there a reference guide of any sorts?

Just aim for the center mass. Aircraft carriers are weird, but thankfully don't shoot back. The Langley has a small box near the rudder and seemingly nowhere else.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

You don't have time to react to the torps, but you have time to react to the runs.

And I think left is so you don't second-guess and just do it.

This. Dodging torps is mostly about looking for bombers and destroyers ahead of time and making sure you minimize your profile.

With planes, you want to travel in a group to begin with, so that TB runs get broken up by AA. If you're in a battleship, you need to turn when those planes get spotted. Cruisers have more leeway, and destroyers can basically ignore them

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

I've sunk a few destroyers with torp bombers but I think it's mostly them being not paying attention because they're not expecting that I'm actually going to torp them. Or they are really bad and think they're invincible to anything but hacks and cheats.

Yeah, I have only ever gotten torped in a destroyer while chasing after carriers and being an idiot. Tunnel-vision is the leading cause of death in this game by a large margin.

If a destroyer prepares itself for a TB run, it can literally just go straight through the spread without eating any. Although it does make you vulnerable to the old hammer and anvil.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

How is that thing? What I've seen makes it look like a big ol citadel, but it's also a serious looking turret farm.

Mogami is good. You'll eat a lot of shells just from being gigantic, but it's maneuverable enough that you can stave off the citadel hits. I assume you're good enough at positioning that you won't get blindsided by a Cleveland.

I exclusively use the 8-inchers because they seem to have better penetration. You can really prey on other cruisers with them, and consistently score on battleships. The torps are nothing special, but are angled so you can throw them down while running away.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't like the Fuso very much. It's much too sluggish for my tastes. Kongo is the life.

Battleships should be even faster, and have even bigger guns, and even less armour. Jutland was a disaster because those ships weren't fast enough. We can call the new ships battledestroyers, which is an even greater name. Nothing can go wrong with this.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I've been having fun with American destroyers, and I think I'll like destroyers in general unless until they get nerfed. Are the high tier destroyers generally still fast torpedo and smoke platforms? Setting up ambushes and dodging my way into torpedo range is both entertaining and somewhat challenging, so if it sticks with that play style I'll definitely be going straight down the destroyer trees. :getin:

Destroyers are a chore beyond tier 5, enjoy yourself at low tiers.

quote:

The only time I've really had problems was when we had a bunch of low tier ships with no carriers and only a tier 3 BB vs a team of all tier 4 and 5 ships with multiple Kongos on that open ocean map. That... was a bit of a brutal buttfucking. What is the best way to handle playing on that open ocean map as a destroyer? Group up with any other destroyers and try and rush the least defended high value target?

You kinda have to meander around and fight other destroyers for a while, while laying down torpedo spreads when you can.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What? Is that how the turrets get knocked out? You use a repair and suddenly your turrets can be taken out for the whole game?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Pubbies who bought the Kitakami are so mad and bad about it. 10km range is perfectly okay for torpedoes, even if you're a fatass destroyer like the Kita. If you're smart about it, you can lay down torp walls that are totally inescapable, but instead I always see pubbies throw 15 torpedoes aimed at the same rock.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Speaking of the chat box, what does 'poi poi poi' mean?

Edit: Also, is there a gooncensus on the best lines? I'm thinking I'd like American cruisers and Japanese battleships. And I will play anything Russian in anticipation of the bias to come. I'm in no special hurry to rush up tiers, but I'd like to at least get to some really nice ships before progress gets wiped.

Getting to tier 5 is pretty easy because of the credit and xp bonus. There are some great ships there.

The Minekaze is probably the best Japanese destroyer other than the tier 10. It's very fast, and has 3 sets of 2 torpedoes, which is great. The IJN destroyer line becomes worthless from here on out.

The Kongo is fast and fun and the best battleship in the game. All other battleships fall short of the Kongo. I guess the Fuso is ok.

The Omaha is a soft light cruiser with great firing arcs and a lot of guns. I think the Cleveland is sluggish and undergunned, but it shoots a lot and a lot of shells.

But getting to tier 7 starts to be a little grindy. I think Japanese cruisers are perfectly fine, but they're huge and fragile. American destroyers are mainly destroyer hunters that can prey on cruisers sometimes. Carriers are an acquired taste, much like crystal meth.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

Well yes of course. I mostly use my dive bombers for the chance to start a fire and given their pitiful damage I doubt that they'd be useful even if the AP did four times the damage.

I saw somebody one-shot a destroyer with their Dive Bombers, and both of them were surprised. They might get decent, although unavoidable damage seems unbalanced.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was playing last night and watched as a low-tier BB (I can't remember the class) let three destroyers pepper and torpedo him from ranges of 3-5km while he was focusing all his attention on a cruiser 8km away to his flank.

When I asked him why the gently caress he wasn't alpha'ing - or even *shooting* at the destroyers at point blank range, he answers:

"I can't hit destroyers in a battleship."

So yeah, don't even try. Sure. gently caress.

Also, I've started playing this again ever since fishing for the three-ship package and buying a Murmansk with the gold. I'm grinding my way up personal ranks before I start grinding the ships I already played in the closed alpha so I'm able to start with captains and upgrades. Good idea or bad idea? I'm making good credits and I know enough about the game and how to play it that I'm not a liability.

The low tier battleships are either terrible or have very little turrets.

Destroyers at 5km are hard to correctly damage, because your shells just sail above their important hitboxes. Meanwhile, cruisers at 8km are citadel city.

The real mistake is letting destroyers get so drat close to you because they easily torpedo battleships at 5km and then move on.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Was there a stealth nerf of destroyer torpedoes? I was in my Minikaze this morning and put 6 torpedoes into a Miyogi and he not only survived, he went on to smash 3 other destroyers on my team. Then in another match I put 4-5 torpedoes into a Phoenix and the bastard didn't sink. I've taken 3 hits in a Phoenix and sank, so not sure what happened. Sort of taking the fun out of playing a destroyer.

Anti-torpedo armour exists, and I think if you hit the same location on the ship in quick succession you won't do much damage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
How about free xp?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

pun pundit posted:

After watching those replays by Rossmum I don't know what the gently caress any more. In close range brawls I shoot AP and aim at the waterline of the flush sides of the enemy between their turret mounts, but I seem unable to get any citadel penetrations. Is there great armor differences between tiers? Is there One Weird Trick Discovered By An Ozzie, the IJN Hates Him? What am I likely to be doing wrong?

If you're too close, you won't get citadel hits. There is an optimum range for every gun to get citadel hits. Some ships have more lenient hitboxes, but citadels are usually located on or below the waterline, and you need your ships to have a little bit of angle to hit them.

From max range, your shells can drop vertically onto the deck armor, which can lead to penetrations. From far, they are going to hit the citadel armour as 45* which is bad for you. From medium range, shells will hit the citadel belt armour, likely penetrating. From close range, shells are mostly going to skip across the top of the citadel box and hit something else.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Burt posted:

This loving turret armour bug sucks, I have had 2 Cleveland games where I lost all my turrets.

Apart from that, the Ice map is riddled with invisible icebergs, right in the center of the map. What are they even doing?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hencoe posted:

So what exactly IS a citadel that you hit and do a ton of damage to.

The most important and dangerous parts of a ship to damage is its engine or powder storage. When ships get designed, these places get the most armour built around them, because any damage to them is liable to take the entire ship down. To conserve weight, these components get stuffed into a relatively small area in the center of the ship, and we just call the unit as a whole the citadel.

It's basically a little box just underneath the waterline that has the heaviest armour in the entire ship. On some ships, this box is too big, or too poorly armoured, and so citadel penetrations are really easy to get. On other ships, it's tough or hard to hit, and you'll never get the gigantic multiplier.

Speaking of citadels, the Myoko has good guns, but is a thousand times more fragile than the Mogami, which is not a tough ship to begin with.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I went straight for the Cleveland as my first aim in this game and I like it a lot, but i decided to try out DDs while waiting for a battle to end and my god it was a lot of fun to use the Umikaze. My very first game I managed to get 10 torps hits with 3 destroyed cruisers.

Are US or Japanese DDs generally better?

Destroyers are all fun up to about tier 5. The Japanese ones are faster and have better torpedoes, but have less total and kinda bad guns. US destroyers are clumsier, shoot better, and have side mounted torpedoes, mounting more with less range and damage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mik posted:

In what sense are you "locked in" to a certain nationality? Does your captain's skills work whether you're playing a Japanese Ship or an American one? Or is it better to choose one nationality and stick with it? I've never played a wargaming game before really and don't quite get the nuances of the back-end.

I played for a bit at a friends the other night and had quite a bit of fun, I hope it's kosher to ask to be put on any invite waiting-lists if there are any floating around? embrauer @ gmail.com

Captains are transferable within ship of their own nation. There's nothing keeping from playing any country's ships apart from that.

Even when the game gets released, you'll probably earn a profit playing any ship below tier 6. So just play whatever is fun.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Insert name here posted:

For some reason I thought they got better shells as well, but yeah the (relatively) slow turn rate on the lower tier DDs really crimps your ability to manuever like a madman while unloading infinite shells at your enemies. Also your torpedoes become decent at the higher tiers which is nice. I haven't bothered looking at Japanese DDs yet but do they ever actually get decent after slumping past tier 5? Or do even the high tier ones suck?

The Mutsuki and the Hatsuharu are basically the same drat thing. Neither has enough guns to do damage, both are slower than the tier 5, and both have 2x3 tubes, which is lame and stupid.

The Fubuki gets an extra set of torpedo tubes, which is good, but it's ahistorically slow for some reason.

I haven't played the Kagero, but it reverts to 2x4 torpedoes, which sounds like poo poo. At least it gets the tier 10 fast torps. It is also slow and lumpy.

The Shimakaze is fast as hell, seems to have better guns, and also has 3x5 torpedo tubes, which is pretty good. The reload isn't an issue at that tier, you have to plan your runs around your reloads, you can't just spit torps constantly. I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Drone posted:

So I just got in. I'm not seeing any commander portrait for any of my ships though? Is this a feature that I need to unlock through levelling up, like Random Battles / Missions are?

Yeah, it takes until like lvl. 5 or something.