Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
:frogsiren:
Next super test patch apparently adds the Warspite as a premium :britain: :10bux:
It also adds Sims and Gnevny-class destroyers and a Soviet Omaha, and makes torpedoes harder to spot and Japanese destroyer guns less worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

And I've sunk a fair bit of aircraft with those Mutsuki guns. The guns are just so lovely that you'd get more xp from plane kills then gun duels. I sold the Mutsuki immediately once I was through though.

But the loving Kagero gets 2x4 tubes, when the Fubuki has 3x3 tubes. Why? It's only advantage is slightly more hp, what the gently caress
I'd definitely use the Mutsuki hull with the two guns. The guns aren't even worth firing unless you're up against something that'll die in one hit, and the 25mm AA guns aren't that bad if planes get in range of them. It was more of a legitimate argument before closed beta, where you had a choice between two 12rpm guns with better AA or four 10rpm guns.

The Kagero used to have 2x4 20km torpedoes at tier 8, where the Fubuki had I think 3x4 faster, slightly higher damage 8km torpedoes. I guess the Kagero was really strong and the Fubuki less so, so they switched them and reduced the Fubuki to 3x3. Unfortunately they also changed torpedoes in the same patch.

Zotix posted:

What is the time to t5 or t6 from scratch?
30 or so matches to t5, and maybe 20-25 more to t6. The low tier ships go by pretty quickly.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Prav posted:

It's automatic. You can turn it off by pressing a button (p) but in a cruiser there's rarely any reason to do so.
Your cruiser will be spotted as soon as the planes are in AA range anyway, so the only reason you'd turn it off is to avoid killing planes, which isn't totally preposterous but won't come up enough to matter.

Insert name here posted:

For whatever reason sequential fire fucks me up super hard and I can never hit anything when I try to do it so I always just for for the full salvo fire. I literally don't understand why this is. :iiam:
I hit more when I fire full broadsides than when I sequential fire :hf:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

MREBoy posted:

OK, does anyone know where to find info on whats going to be in the next patch, or does that info not get distributed until the patch lands ? I've been all over the NA forums looking for anything but its chock full of 2-3 year old threads about whatever. Is this type of info RU only or something ?

There's material posted on the super test forum, which is visible to normal alpha testers.
No notes for the next patch, but judging from super test forum it includes the Warspite, Sims- and Gnevny-class destroyers, an Omaha with Soviet flags, better guns for Japanese destroyers and a camo buff for torpedoes. All the new ships are premium so enjoy not being able to buy them.
Also the cap zones on points mode will generate 3 points per 4 seconds instead of 4.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

OSad posted:

There's a strange absence of people who have an Ibuki or a Senjo, which makes the high-tier american ships ambiguously the best ones on the block. If you have an Ibuki or Senjo, please speak up and share your opinion on them because personally I'm curious about whether or not I'm making a terrible grinding decision by going down their line.
Alpha forums posters said the Senjo was underpowered immediately before closed beta started and the closed beta patch nerfed it. Most alpha testers are massive otakus though so I would take anything they say with a grain of salt :nyoron:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The Japanese cruisers are pretty weak in general. Kuma, Mogami and maybe Tatsuta can compete, but otherwise the torpedoes don't make up for the overabundance of citadel hits and the generally worse guns.
The closed beta patch hit Japanese cruisers pretty hard between torpedo visibility and damage model changes, and they weren't outstandingly strong before it. The upcoming patch should mitigate that some, if super test forum is correct.

Also Cleveland shouldn't be tier 6, especially as Worcester is apparently sort of in game at tier 10. It's pretty blatantly shoehorned into the slot but I don't know if there's a better candidate.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

What's a citadel and how do I shoot it

(I understand the concept of all-or-nothing armor, I just get so few citadel hits it seems like I must be doing something wrong. Also! When targeting a stationary ship, should you generally click on its deck line, or waterline?)

Aim at the midsection between the turrets and hope it disperses into the right spot. At any significant range the guns are too inaccurate for you to hit the citadel consistently, despite official forums posters who don't understand statistics.
Cruiser and destroyer guns won't citadel hit battleships under normal circumstances, even if you hit the right spot.
Aim at the waterline.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Burt posted:

So, does anyone think this game has the legs to keep running for a while when it's out of Beta?

I find it simply doesn't have enough complexity to keep me amused. I have ground out a Cleveland and a Kongo and I have no interest in getting anything else as it's a boring grind all said and done, which compared to how much I played WoTs Beta is pretty damning. I really can't put my finger on why I think it's bad, it's a combination of a few things but I can't even be arsed to log in any more and when I do I just get my 1.5 games.

I think it tries to be the game that all the serious ship spergs wanted, but it isn't, but if you point this out you just get dog piled.

Serious discussion.

If it released now I'd get a Minekaze and play it occasionally. It's fun enough for a free game.

I didn't play tanks beta so I don't know how it compared, but there's just nothing very interesting to do in boats. You drive around, left click enemy ships and wait for the RNG to give you citadel hits. The baseline is a lot better than navy field, but aiming in navy field was much more engaging than in boats. Citadel hits just do so much more damage that it obliterates any concept of interesting aiming.

It really needs more things to do, part of which would be solved by unfucking the class balance.
And the official forums are full of turbo grogs suggesting complexities that's make the game less interesting.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 4, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Citadel hits should probably do like 25% more damage plus bonus module damage, instead of doing three or four times the damage. It's really stupid that a citadel hit does an order of magnitude more damage than another shell that hits half a meter higher.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dalael posted:

No.. No its not.

Citadel hits means that you have hit very vulnerable components. The shell that hits 1 few meter higher does not. Case and point, HMS Hood. 1 solid hit to the magazine was enough to turn this BattleCruiser into a submarine.

The HMS Hood did not have hit points. :science:

Seriously though, this game is not realistic enough for that to matter. Citadel hits are functionally equivalent to damage RNG. In tanks the random damage spread is +- 25%, in boats it's two orders of magnitude.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I think navy field with a crew system, tiering, free-to-play setup and matchmaking like tanks would be really fun. As is, navy field did a lot of stupid things but battleship and carrier gameplay was an awful lot more interesting than in boats.

Zhanism posted:

Is there any point in getting the the Tier V Japanese Destroyer? is it IV or V where they top out?

V. Pretend the Minekaze is a Shimakaze and the line ends there, and Japanese destroyers are a fine ship tree.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I assume you mean "better free-to-play setup", because I definitely remember being asked to pay 20 bucks if I didn't want all my trained gunners to die.

I didn't play NF very long after that, I assume the bullshit got worse.

I looked at the website a while ago and they were asking :10bux: or whatever to just literally make your guns do more damage.
That game really went whole hog after the whales.

vvv:

Insert name here posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that CV gameplay in NF was better than this game but I strongly disagree; as much issues as CV gameplay has in this game pretty much everything was worse in NF. The automatic AA in NF would tear up planes even faster than in this game and then you'd lose half the survivors due to lack of fuel.
:doh:
I forgot that navy field had automatic AA.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 5, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Destroyer guns fired healing instead of damage.

:wtf:
Even for wargaming I don't get it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I really don't think boats is worth paying money right now. It isn't fun at the tiers where premium would matter and they've been cavalier about fixing anything, plus the way the cash shop is working is really sketchy and they seem to be charging for gold in a beta test. :frogout: wargaming.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I hit some nerd Yubari with a torpedo at 10 km, said "hi, nice dodge" and it accused me of being "a baddie who has to use 10 km torpedoes to kill anything" :allears:
I was spotted the whole time from before I launched the torpedo
I blind fired the torpedo around an island because the Yubari was going straight

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Look at the prices in World of Tanks and despair. 60 bucks for a tank isn't rare to see.
At least in tanks you actually get what you bought. I get the feeling that wargaming realized there's a bunch of otakus/whales who will buy in no matter what and decided to prioritize that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
This game just desperately needs more to do. I'm pretty sure I could dual box a battleship and a carrier and do substantially better than most pubbies. Maybe even two battleships and a carrier.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

They also list it as the zuikaku when it's apparently the shokaku class?

The Tenryu class is misnamed in game already, so it's not out of the ordinary. It's wargaming after all.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gaj posted:

I dont understand the torpedo meta. I havent had success with long rang torpedo runs, anything above 6k gets dodged, my 10k torps never hit anything even the narrow spread. Japanese DD's seen gimped what with their dependence on torps and lacking of guns. Meanwhile In my Nicholas is doing fine and is very dynamic, my Jap DD's feel like Im counting on 1 minute hit and run barrages that have very low odds.

Long range torpedoes are pretty bad. They're been improved since beta started I think, but still aren't really meaningful. Don't expect to hit from more than 6-7 km even against the slowest battleships.

Besides relying on long range torpedoes that aren't worthwhile due to game mechanics, Japanese destroyers aren't well balanced as a line. Many if not most of the tier 6+ ships are straight up worse than the tier 5, which is good but not really overpowered. You also have to deal with the risk of getting the ocean map, on which you might as well quit to garage when you spawn. Some of them received a small buff in the last patch, so odds are probably even on wargaming fixing the line versus just making the low tiers useless too.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Is the Fuso turret upgrade worth getting? I'm not sure if the increase in rate of fire is worth the slower turret turning.

You get 5% faster reload in exchange for about 5% slower turret rotation. It's pretty much a matter of opinion, neither change is big enough for one option to be obviously wrong.
Which happens to you more, waiting for your guns to load while aimed at an enemy, or waiting for your guns to turn around while loaded?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dalael posted:

I was skimming through the latest patch info when I read about FF:

New griefing tactic.. Willing putting yourself in the path of friendly torpedoes to see a destroyer or cruiser go down in flames with you.

On another note, The Saipan is being removed and they are putting the independance in its place instead. I don't remember the Saipan much, but I don't think it was a bad carrier, was it? They added the Bogue to fill the spot of the independance.. I have literally never heard of that carrier before and I am too tired to use my google-fu. Does anyone have any info regarding this ship?
That's a surprisingly competent team kill system. It sounds like you'll have better opportunity to gently caress with pubbies than tanks, without pubbies team killing you more often.

Saipan is good. I think they switched those ships around because Saipan was a (barely) postwar ship using buffaloes. Tiering your carriers based entirely on displacement leads to some things that don't make much sense.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Domination is the three cap points, first to 1k wins right? I've had maybe half a dozen of those finish in draws, and it happens because people get too aggressive - instead of going for the points win they try to sink everyone, get sunk themselves and the points just keep going down.

If nobody has won by the end of the timer, the team with more points wins. Those aren't draws. :eng101:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I would be surprised if wargaming fixed the Mutsuki et al. by shortening their reload times instead of "fixing" it by giving dual torpedoes 90 second reloads. It would be very out of character.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

EmpressNero: the absolute least objectionable thing in this person's posting is the avatar and signature. I know, I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is so true.
:agreed:

Indrazar posted:

His awful signature makes me wonder what he liked about the game that they changed, especially considering that I find the current version of the game to be quite fun.
The funny part is that they made changes in alpha that did legitimately make the game less fun and he didn't complain about those.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

James Garfield posted:

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

Update: I interviewed some official forums posters and apparently that dude sends the same message to everyone who views his profile :laugh:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
"[something nerds don't like] poi" gets fairly consistent results. "Anime is for children poi" works a lot better than without the poi.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Pubbies intentionally block my torpedoes in probably half my destroyer games and it might be annoying if the tears weren't so consistently funny.
edit: When a friendly destroyer tries to interpose itself between me and my target I intentionally sink the friendly destroyer so that might be a factor.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 25, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dalael posted:

gently caress! Sometimes I just can't loving understand this RNG bullshit. I can never hit anything long range with m y Nagato. Its ridiculous. Its not that I have bad aim or anything like that. If it was a matter of sucking at aiming, I wouldn't care as much. But when every single fuckign shot is perfectly aimed for the middle of the ship, but all god drat shells hit water on both sides of the ship its just infuriating. What pisses me off the most is when I'm fighting another Nagato at long range, and while my shots just land on both side, his hit non-stop.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Earlier I lost a Wickes on Wickes duel because literally every hit from the enemy Wickes was a citadel hit. I even hit it with a torpedo, and hit with more of my shells than the enemy ship, and it was irrelevant because the enemy shells happened to disperse onto a favorable part of the aim circle. :(

Exponential damage RNG is stupid.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Aim assist isn't that bad. At long ranges damage normally has more to do with shell dispersion than where your aim point is, and at closer ranges aiming is easy anyway. It helps a lot if you're firing low velocity guns at long range, but none of those guns are really all that dangerous unless you're a destroyer that can evade aim assist easily.
Even battleship zigzagging can throw off players who depend on aim assist pretty easily.

It'd make pubbies better, but the pubbies who'd see the biggest advantage are too dumb to install it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I found GiantHurtBall on the NA forums.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/26158-this-is-spareri-mean-beta/

quote:

ust a little humor to prove a point and hopefully improve the game....

It is a beautiful day im sitting on deck muchin on onigiri.....WHEN ALL HE..ahhh....HECK BREAKS OUT!

torpedoes in the water , dive bombers above us......

evil yanks tryin to hurt my pretty little "TIN CAN"...

suddenly i hear this weird music...DUN DA DA DUNNNN

Captainsan comes out of the closet........{insert pink tutu here}

fists on hips and wearing a rocket on his back !

Captainsan jumps out the window......

kills all the nasty planes and lands back on deck,removes rocket and sits in the dd's captains chair and says . . .

FOOL SPEED AHEAD !

[edited] u say??? no way u say ????

im sure its true because my dd driver got the "skill" ACE DOG FIGHTER and AIR COMBAT and LIGHT THERE FIRE.....

Seriously...devs what r u thinking???

if you are going to give CV skills to a DD driver why have RPG elements at all?

1 "driver" is enough for all ships

this is BETA so this is the place for us PLAYERS to add our 2yens worth

4th level SKILLZ ;

DOGFIGHT: only CV

ADVANCED FLIGHT TRAINING: only CV

TORP ACQUISITION: might help a CA but DD's dodge them and if i cant...then seeing them 2 feet longer is not going to help

ADVANCED FIRE TRAINING: if the DD is that close the captain is SWIMMING back to japan !

PYROMANIA: LOL..DD's,B.S.U.{blow STUFF up} it might be on fire the 3 seconds it takes to sink below the waves

DEVS SOLUTION;

make SKILLS appropriate !..CLASS SKILLS

if u want a DD driver to drive a CV then he needs NEW EXPERIENCE and TRAINING

a DD driver can not be the worlds best CV driver with 200 battles in a DD !

FPSers my not care about RPG skills but RPGers do !

NINJA DESU !!!

devs look at my battle report

KILLS;

CV 87

BB 55

many other T.O.O.

TOR PEE DIS... fired = bizzillion !

SHELLS fired = 0...ok maybe 4 or 5 i hit the wrong button in the heat of battle ! [SUE ME MA SIN to the friendly beside me when i fired the wrong thingy,dint do much damage but it was very rude of me !]

I LOVE THIS GAME !

i hope the devs can understand my humor and frustration at having USELESS skills,remove the skills and RPG or let me improve the captain as he gets the EXPERIENCE

1 option is remove the "skill" choice and make it EARNED

exempli gratia;

100 TOR PEE DIS hits = +25% Torpedo damage

10000 Shell hits = +25% Gun damage

1000k travled = +25% speed

ET CETERA,ET CETERA

many many ways to improve the game play and reward hard work

Thank you for reading i hope this helps in making a better RPG experience

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
My post on the official forums was moderated because I linked someone to "А у вас негров линчуют".
:classiclol:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dalael posted:

How does it feel to be wrong all the time?
:ssh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Proximity fuzes were a thing even back then. And most of the time it wasn't the shell itself striking the plane, but the clouds of razor shards given off by the shell when it goes bang. It's how flak guns work. Fill the sky with shards of metal, get it sorta close and cut the plane to pieces. Doubling the shell weight and increasing the throw distance are super huge things.

Germany didn't have proximity fuses at the time, and I don't think wargaming is taking them into account. I'm sure the 55 mm guns will get nuts stats though.

I only hope they've made Japanese torpedoes more useful by the time they add the Akizuki, I want to play a Japanese built American destroyer :allears:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Atomizer posted:

What's the deal with Akizuki and Senjo? Is this another anime thing?

Senjo is the tier 10 Japanese cruiser. It looks like an American ship.
Akizuki is a Japanese destroyer class with lots of AA, guns that might actually be useful, and only four torpedoes. It is not yet in the game.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

orange juche posted:

Yeah, I get your point, but for example, unless they only begin the US BB line at T8 or so, the Kongo and the Fuso are going to absolutely dominate their US counterparts, no contest. If the disparity in range is something like 6-7km at that tier, I can't think of a single person who would be willing to sit through what is essentially being in a shooting gallery for IJN BBs for 2 tiers.

It's not all that bad. It isn't too hard to close within 14 km in a Fuso, after all, and even though New Mexico's slower the armor is better. Battleships aren't as dangerous outside 15 km anyway; citadel hits at that range are only random, and the flight time is slow enough you can dodge shells in a battleship.

The range disparity is obnoxious on Kawachi because normal engagement range for battleships and cruisers is outside Kawachi range, I doubt it'll be so bad driving a battleship with cruiser range.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Yeah, I stopped holding my torpedoes when people cross in front of me. Sometimes it's understandable but far more often it's some poop lord intentionally blocking me so it gets the damage instead of me.
Oddly enough I can't even remember the lady time I was hit by unintentional allied torpedoes, it's almost like you can prevent it by not driving like an idiot!

Also 90% of the team kills I see result from some pubbie intentionally blocking destroyer torpedoes for the same reason.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I think wargaming has implied that Deutschland, Alaska and other related ships will be low tier battleships instead of high tier cruisers :smithcloud:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Hagop posted:

I am going to guess he means the Imperial German Navy flag.

Probably a safe assumption since the Nazi naval flag is both ugly, and has a swastika on it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rossmum posted:

Also, that Austria-Hungary sperger on the forums is either legitimately brainwashed or realises he's full of poo poo, yet actually thinks he is going to persuade a forum full of other autists that "ships aren't that different really" and so a WWI-era dreadnought could hold up against Yamato and Montana. Yikes.

I just like how all his tier 8s would get stomped into the ground by the tier 3s of the other nations :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Hey Destroyer captains, if you thought trying to play your fragile tin cans and contribute wasn't hard enough

:thumbsup:

Not so steamy now, are you Mr. Cleveland?

And the rest of the Q&A
It's nice to know in advance that battleships are intended to be stronger than anything else and it's not just a beta thing.
Also limited ammo is the dumbest loving thing imaginable and probably even worse than the pointless destroyer nerfs.

Magni posted:

This is absolute bullshit btw.
Even with about half the games played on premium, it took me over 200 matches to reach the Yamato and I'm not exactly the worst pubbie if my w/r is of any indication after 1k games. 200 might be a bit low for reaching T10, but that's hardly 2-3 days unless you spend like half the day exclusively playing WoWs.

I'm almost positive this is what wargaming expects.