Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Big McHuge posted:

I was thinking of picking up the Marceau but I'm afraid that I'm going to be really bad at french DDs. I also don't have all the special captains yet, so I might be better off picking up the OP russian guy instead.

The Russian captain is badly overrated, everyone looks at the free heal and decides it must be the best captain ignoring that the bonus does nothing in games where you don't die. It doesn't really change how you play the game either, since you only get the free heal if you're about to die which is something you don't want to happen (unless the game is about to end anyway). It's obviously still better than a normal captain, but coal is limited and you can also buy things that are actually unique with it, like the Marceau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Wow this guy's account stats are perfect for sending angry PMs also gently caress CV players

:911:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Wow I'm shocked that someone got mad when I ruined 22 other people's fun to play cookie clicker in their boat game

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of CVs/balance, the fact is if they are in the game you have to adjust. 75%+ DD players don't even try to.

Not really. There's no counterplay to CVs, so the answer is usually to play against the 11 enemy ships and hope the CV player is too dumb to deal with automatic game mechanics like flak, manual aiming, and having to lead a destroyer by 3-5 seconds with rocket planes.

General Battuta posted:

Hot take maybe but carriers are...40% less awful since the rocket plane nerf. Maybe the carrier players I run into are just bad but it's mostly only Nakhimov that fills me with bitter rage these days.

You still can't avoid rockets from competent CVs, but the average CV player can't lead ships by 3-5 seconds so it helps. Also it means average CVs don't focus you as much.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

gently caress. I just realized that I am going to have re-grind the F. Der Grosse again. That was probably one of the worst Tier 9 grinds I have ever encountered in a Wargaming game.

And gently caress blowing 255k free xp on it.

On top of that gently caress playing the Tashkent again too.

Sigh. The least Wargaming could have done is give me the full loving credit value of the ships; but of course not. Got to arrange these tech tree changes in ways that optimize the chances whales are going to blow a poo poo ton of money to get those lines’ Tier Xs back.

But you don't have to play the fdg? You still have the kurfurst. If you also want the new tier 10 you can unlock it for 250k xp instead of the ~900k xp it takes to unlock a full new ship line.

Also the Tashkent is good and if you don't like playing it I don't know why you want the tier 10.

I mean yes their business model is based on whales, but it's mostly about selling premium American ships to people named GUNNY1978_USMC.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The T7 at least just has loving godawful armour. Doesn't seem to matter how I angle, everything is just loving murdering me. Love to eat 14 000 damage volleys through the face from Pensacolas.

That can happen to every battleship, they got full pens on your superstructure with AP. It can only do like 20% of your hp before damage saturation.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Edit: this is fine, really

No really, fine

I have no idea what that ship is but you aren't doing significantly worse in it than most of the other stuff on that screen, your win rate in one ship is almost never meaningful.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

toadee posted:

"Unkillable" until someone with hands in a Kitakaze just shoots you for a minute and you burn to death

I mean gunboats are unbalanced in high level random games, but your Alaska gets matched against an Ibuki or something that dies much faster and if you play ranked correctly the opposition is people that think the kitakaze is a torpedo boat.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You know what also feels like cheating?

The Musashi in ranked.

really weird that a ship with 20000 extra hp and the guns from one tier higher for no meaningful tradeoff would feel like cheating, I can't figure it out

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Paolo is a lot of fun, but it's mostly fun in ranked and it isn't overpowered so the value really falls off if you intend to play kitakaze or something all the time. It is much less consistent in randoms.

Siegfried is also fun and pretty original, but it's a tier 9 super cruiser so you could mostly play the same way in an Alaska and do better since the Alaska is overpowered (Siegfried is not a bad ship though, it has a terrible reputation for some reason but it's above average).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't the Siegfried get nerfed just before release? I know it got hit hard by the captain skill rework since people loved to spec for secondaries on it which also might be why its got a bad rep.

I don't think it ever got nerfed, you're probably thinking of the other German premium cruiser that had really good secondaries during testing.

For the Siegfried losing the secondary range skill is disappointing because it was funny, but the secondaries did like 2000 damage a game so it hardly affects the ship.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
That's not really lying, and also the try your luck containers used to be double the chance of supercontainer so they improved it.

I mean Wargaming are terrible at making games, but they're terrible because of the CV rework not because of this thing nobody could possibly care about.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
You get three times as many supercontainers if you pick the try your luck option. You would have to be really dumb to complain that they changed it from two times to three times.

(also who cares because it still isn't worth it)

edit: it obviously is a probability since you do not know which container will be super, and you are getting three times as many supercontainers in the same number of boxes so you are three times as likely to get one on any given box.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 3, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

My attitude to CVs has always been like that to car thieves. You can't outright stop them except in a select few ships, but you can do enough to make their life difficult so that they focus someone else. I'm convinced half the playerbase doesn't know about priority sector AA for example.

AA sector does almost nothing. The way you can tell it does almost nothing is that if it did something CVs could go around to the other side, but they don't.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

A good CV might try to approach from an angle where they can flip sides if they see Priority sector on but for torp drops thats not easy.

That's an option, but even very good CV players don't bother doing it because AA sector doesn't really matter. If AA sector mattered, you could tell because the 80% win CVs would be going around to the weak side.

kaesarsosei posted:

Most CV players won't do that and have to decide whether to take more losses or to waste time changing sides.

That's hardly a decision. Rework CVs have like 140 planes, so losses only matter if it reduces the number of times that squadron can attack. Almost every ship has AA that prevents one attack, and under perfect conditions the sector is less than a 50% increase so doesn't prevent another attack.

You get the free damage from pressing the AA sector key so there's no reason not to do it, but it doesn't make CV players' lives any more difficult. You can tell that it doesn't because if it did, very good CV players would go around and bomb from the other side.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I think good carriers actually hope you'll be reinforcing the sector they're attacking from, since they expect to spend more time on the other side, turning around.

So the reason you don't see 80% win rate CVs flying around to the weak side may be that they want to attack from the strong side to minimize the total damage they take.

That's (part of) the problem, besides the bit of damage from pressing the key the AA sector doesn't increase your total AA. It might say it's a 50% increase, but it's only active half the time because of the 10 second cooldown, and the effect is ramping up for half of the duration, and it reduces damage on the opposite side where the planes will be for some of the time (more so because you have to activate it pointing at the planes to get the instant damage and then it's ramping up while the planes get in range).

The number it displays is 50% but after all the conditions it's negligible. You might as well complain that ~pubbies~ are mad about CVs because they didn't take the 2 point commander skill that gives you 10% more AA damage.

edit: and because CVs have ludicrous numbers of planes, plane kills only matter if it reduces the number of times that squadron can bomb you. A large majority of ships have base AA that prevents one attack, so the AA consumable (50% buff) might or might not prevent another one. Obviously if a 50% bonus isn't guaranteed to prevent an attack, things aren't good for the maybe 10% from AA sector.

Stanley Pain posted:

There are a number of ships that use priority sector to very good effect. The Dutch ships, and the Jinan line. You are a no fly zone in some of those ships.

If you're a no fly zone with AA sector you are also a no fly zone without it.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 10, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its no fun for the carrier player if they cant get a strike off after all!

the carrier could go to a ship with less AA at 300 knots, help its team by spotting, or wait until later in the game when AA mounts are destroyed.

Is "it's no fun if you can't get a strike off" a CV exclusive rule or should you be able to land at least one torpedo if you drive your Paolo Emilio at three Worcesters?

edit: another problem is that there are very few differences in AA because almost every ship prevents exactly one attack from same tier CVs, and CVs don't run out of planes over time so preventing attacks is the only aspect of AA that matters.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 10, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but didn't they used to have a way bigger credit income coefficient compared to tech tree ships? Or is that still hidden and in place? Because it would have been a lot bigger than +5% prior to this, even if the exact figures were hidden.

That's associated with the ship, not the camo. You still got the credit bonus if you put non default camo on your premium ship.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is a bot, right?

In addition to that, he was also my ranked teammate in the last game.

E:

this motherfucker in the next game

He's been playing since beta so WG clearly take botting very seriously.

Those are probably just using divisions to pad their loss rate, that is a lot of xp/game for a bot

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

I mean they're just really bad and like to play boats with their friends who are also really bad, it's weird that that first person thinks shooting two ships and then dying is fun enough to repeat it seventeen thousand times but the division part isn't weird.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It's divisions, there are people with thousands of 30% division games

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I don't think the initial status of that DD means much, you can see Wargaming giving it 5 second reload and a heal from miles away

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just reliably citadeling Kremlins at 25km with sub one second flight times in a Slava. Others in his chat saying they've been doing this in ranked all night, so I'm sure that's gonna be a fun weekend of ranked and dockyards.

how typical, flamu discovers this bug that allows every ship to get one second flight time to max range with the same AP penetration as point blank and he shows it off in the slava, which benefits the least from that bug out of every ship in the game

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Why are you dragging this out? I specifically said I’d rather see 7 different ships to 4 Cherbourg, which is an inherently boring ship. How is 4 Cherbourg more variety?

In a vacuum the team with 7 different ships is more interesting, but because the available ships are limited there are fewer possible team setups. I'm not even sure there are four different non garbage heal cruisers available for tier 8 clan wars. So "7 different ships" ends up being the 7 best tier 8 ships every time, whereas if everyone is bringing 4 Cherbourg you can still be creative and make a team specifically to fight Cherbourg.

(you could claim the same thing about limiting battleships, but battleships are enough stronger than the other ships that basically everyone who wants to win is going to bring the maximum number of battleships)

"bring 7 different ships" is an overly broad rule to solve a specific problem. If 4 Cherbourg is really better than every other option, the answer is to limit the number of Cherbourg.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 24, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

I will never, ever in my life feel sympathy for the battleship experience, least of all when a battleship counter plays well and kills a battleship. your aim truly cannot save you from torpedo

Other than a handful of ships that are only good against destroyers (this is rarer than you think) and the Asashio, counter ships don't really exist. Those counter ships that do exist aren't great in random battles, either.

The differences between ship classes are trading off health and damage for vision. Something that's good at killing battleships is probably better at killing cruisers and destroyers, which depend more on not getting shot at. They tried rock paper scissors style counters in the closed beta, but it sucked.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

What was the closed beta like? How did they try to make those hard counters work?

Torpedoes were much better and cruisers died faster to battleships. The idea was that destroyers would torpedo battleships, cruisers would try to prevent that and be AA ships, and battleships would kill cruisers. It didn't really work at all.

Blindeye posted:

I think it's a case where they are fairly well balanced in a 12v12 random format, but in a 7v7 competitive mode they are much more powerful.

The main thing here is that Kremlin/Moskva/Petro/Stalingrad all trade off damage output (people will say "but they're good against broadsides" but almost everything is good against broadsides) for more health, which is questionable in randoms where the game is mostly about killing idiots as fast as possible. In competitive mode you can design your team around bringing a bunch of ships with lower damage but more hp.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I don't think writing multi paragraph screeds against people who call you a griefer when you brag about griefing really helps the "I just play this game to vibe, imagine caring about a casual game for children" case

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

You’ve talked a lot about how it’s not your business whether anyone else is having fun. If they’re not, they should quit. But what do you do if everyone else takes your advice? Who’s left to bomb and torpedo? People who enjoy being NPCs in someone else’s game?

Bots, unlike ships CVs have identical gameplay in coop as in random battles so the only reason to play them in the latter is griefing. You can even make a 12v12 training room and fill the remaining 23 slots with bot battleships so it lasts as long as possible, or play operations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Up to 5, back down to 0 :shepicide:

I had a 60% wr in this ship, what is happening

just play battleships in tier 7 ranked, you don't necessarily win more than you would in destroyers but the games are much less frustrating

(even if you won less, there aren't really enough games in a ranked season to tell the difference)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Question for y'all: Druid or Vampire II? I have no interest in Slava, Gibraltar, Colbert, Sevastopol, or Siegfried (unless you can convince me otherwise), but the two DDs have an appeal.

Any thoughts?

Siegfried is fun and good unless they changed it, all of the commentary on it is about how removing secondary build ruined it but those people don't understand how the game works. If you like the Alaska or battleships it is probably worth buying.

(if you buy ships for how overpowered they are I wouldn't choose the Siegfried, but it's not weak)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Yeah, I still like this game but anyone who plays at a competitive level beyond Silver ranked needs their head looking at.

Ranked is just random battles with small teams, extra rewards, and people get angry in chat all the time for no apparent reason which is a good opportunity to call them out for their win rate (this is still true if their win rate is higher than yours). Playing clan battles or tournaments is sort of weird but nothing really noteworthy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I cannot imagine the level of frustration this would cause.

Clan battles are usually less frustrating than trying to complete a ranked season, since you consistently have the same team.

That said, ranked is also less frustrating than random games if you just don't promote to the top league, which doesn't significantly reduce the rewards.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
All of the weird stuff like memorizing spotting locations and holding mandatory practice sessions is more about being a nerd than it is about clan battles, the 43% USMC clans that give their members military ranks also do mandatory practice sessions. You can get up to the third bracket just by bringing a team of people who are mostly above 50% and looking at the map, I don't think you even need voice chat.

Maybe it's changed since I played, but nobody in the bottom half of the clan battle rankings knew how to deal with a battleship driving at them so you could just bring a secondary German battleship and drive it into a cap with some radar cruisers following, no micromanagement required.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I saw a suggestion that Bronze ranked should be open to all (for shitters). Silver should require 50% WR in randoms and 1000 battles played. Gold require 55%/5000.

But I had a ranked game against this guy the other day, oh boy:
https://wows-numbers.com/player/531744469,Buford_T_Justice78/

That would just make it take longer to get a match and even longer to get rank 1. You're still going to get unbalanced skill levels on teams if there's a 55% win rate minimum, it'll just be 55% players instead of 52% players dragging their teams down with 3000 games in a single ranked season. If the developers wanted to make achieving rank 1 less frustrating the best thing they could do would be putting everyone in the same matchmaking pool with no leagues, so you could wait a week for all the tryhards to rank out and then play easy games against people with their country of residence in their username.

In any case there's not much of a reason to get rank 1 in gold league anymore, now that you can repeat the rewards for intermediate ranks every week. If you treat it like random battles with small teams and a tier restriction (and separate statistics, so you can do silly things without damaging your overall win rate if you care about that) it isn't any more frustrating than random battles are.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I main DDs and CLs because BBs are way too slow for my attention span so I should probably just shut the gently caress up, but I have a hard time understanding people who don't want to brawl in their BBs, like bro you have armor I can't penetrate from any angle and twice my HP at minimum, come at me already, you'll likely survive the one maybe two torpedoes that manage to connect before your enormous guns frontally citadel me but we'll probably both have way more fun! At the very least it's got to be better than sitting on the edge of the map inexplicably firing HE once every three minutes and hitting with one or two shells per salvo.

Well, BBs are the long range class. If you want fast paced brawls (as you mentioned) you pick the faster ships with faster firing guns and better concealment. If the BB runs straight at you you might torp it, but if you keep trading shots at range it can kill you with less damage taken.

There are a lot of players who sit really far back not doing much, but remember that you notice those people because they're alive at the end of the game. Running in and dying in four minutes because you tried to brawl a Yugumo in your Massachusetts is even worse for your team than sitting in the back firing HE, but nobody yells at that player in chat because they're already off to the next game dying in four minutes in their Alabama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It's not really about how complicated it is, it's just not interesting. If a carrier bombs you, either it plays badly and hits a flak cloud, it plays badly and misses the drop, or you take damage. All the player input with the sector thing and the AA consumable amounts to killing like half a plane extra. If it were fun to shoot at planes and you could stop the CV from damaging you by shooting its planes, it wouldn't be a problem.

That said, AA is weak on purpose because they want CVs to be able to strike everything, and for that reason if they did make AA manual it would probably do so little damage it wasn't worth using. (I think that's already the case with the depth charges on destroyers?)