Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I don't know if there is still a post here somewhere, I haven't seen one, but I would appreciate a key if someone ever gets an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I just played a pretty cool match where it was relatively small teams like 6v6 - I was in my Amagi and the only other battleship was the enemy Yamato. We wound up on one side of the map closing around the islands and at around 3km were going side by side like an old school duel.

He lost (I am guessing the Amagi has higher sustained damage barring citadels?), but it was really fun considering.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Mogami closed to 3km of my Cleveland

5 citadels later

"thats some bs"

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Any observations on the HE vs AP with this new patch? HE is suppose to be more useful now correct?

more useful would be an understatement see this pic from the prior pages

edit:

vvvv this was in a wyoming - HE is pretty much the best for all ships, unless you are close for AP and can guarantee a citadel (maybe?)

Burno fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 14, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

New Orleans - I was working on the last carrier when my team capped it out :sigh:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Some guy in a Zao was talking in chat about how if your captain is retraining with pyromania then you get a huge boost to fires via a bug.

It just so happened I researched the Mogami after that game and did the free retraining to test it out.

Seems legit. There were times where a single salvo was starting 4 fires at once :stare:

Edit:

It seems like it doubles your fire chance when you are retraining your captain. I retrained my Des Moines captain to the Wyoming and left him like that while using the Des Moines and was doing the same thing, 2-3 fires per salvo.

Ending matches with 2x the fire damage of my base HE damage. :vince:

Burno fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 27, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Yamato? Neither Amagi or Izumo have particularly good secondary setups as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, though I don't have it yet, I'm honestly not too impressed with what the stats on the Izumo say. It doesn't have great secondaries, its armor is absolutely terrible, and its speed is mediocre at best. And having all its guns mounted on the prow is only situationally useful. What, exactly, is it gaining in exchange for having armor barely better than a heavy cruiser? Can someone who actually has it weigh in?

5 scout planes? (instead of 3) :smith:

Burno fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 28, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Did they change the repair ability?

I have been playing destroyers since that last patch and I saw some mentions of the New Mexico and another battleship's repair abilities in the notes, but on my Yamato it doesn't seem to be repairing much if anything at all anymore. It also doesn't seem to show the health you will have after it finishes on the bar.

Not really a huge deal, but it was a really big surprise to only repair like 7,000 in my first game in my Yamato after the patch, and I got overwhelmed and slaughtered.

Burno fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 30, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Well AP is still really good, but I agree the fires do tend get out of control if you never get a good angle for citadel hits

I had this happen earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdsxkIUVJs

edit:
One thing which I am really noticing is that there is no real way to tell when you can use AP vs HE. There is no armor view or layouts and no ballistic profiles of the rounds.

Basically it seems the best way to play a BB is to sling HE until you are within something like 12km then swap back to AP when you have a broadside shot.

Burno fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I've got bad news for you dawg: if you don't like the play-style of the Pensacola then the New Orleans is going to be not so good for you as well

Well not only that, but I'd say the Pensacola is the peak in power vs tier for US cruisers, yes even better than the Cleveland. The 8 inch guns have such a flat trajectory it is super easy to hit people all the way out to max range.

Des Moines is cool, but the Pensacola is the US cruiser I have the best stats for (win %, avg exp, etc) by far.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Burt posted:

How you can say that I have no idea, the St Louis is so so OP at tier it's unreal. This little ship will be my first priority in the open Beta, it's just WAY out there in money and exp making.

I wasn't really thinking about the ships you go past in just a couple matches. Just the ones which you may really need to grind and would consider using free xp on.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The min range is the start of the aiming cone aka basically non-existent now.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

If someone is considering an Atlanta just free xp the Mogami, it is better in every way

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

For anybody who loves the Atlanta or the Cleveland, what is your average damage in those things?

32k Atlanta
40k Cleveland

but I don't love them :(

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Sadly my time with the cleveland will be over soon.

Its ok, the Pensacola is better

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

MREBoy posted:

ok so where are you folks going to pull up these per ship damage stats ? Something in-client or a 3rd party website ?

Go to the main world of warships page, highlight over your name in the top right, then click my profile.

On the 3rd tab there is a list of ship types you can expand and see all the ship stats.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The survey thing is a mod from Aslain's

edit: my thoughts on the Atlanta:

Burno fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 6, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

You have bad opinions and are probably bad at ships.

No, I just dislike bad ships.

edit: bad might be too strong, but it is definitely not a great ship. It used to be amazing when you could machine gun AP into everything, similar with the Cleveland.

Burno fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Drop torp spread at a Nagato, Tokyo drift in front of a Yamato while dropping other side of torps on him at point blank, come around and finish off the Nagato.

Just another day in the Zao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv-a4vIN28

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Someone has to be that guy you never even saw who eats your 20km torps near max range when they were tactically dodged by your original target.

JuffoWup posted:

The best part is that ijn cruiser max torp range is 10km I believe, which is also why everyone made the leap to destroyers. In fact, the zao drops down to 8km torps from the ibuki and mogami's 10km range ones. Didn't look at firepower, but there you go. Only the ijn destroyers can pop 15-20km range torps.

To be fair the cruiser torpedos are better than the destroyer ones.
Since detection range is a percentage of max range the longer range torpedos can be seen from the moon by anyone who is not blind or travelling through smoke blindly.

This also makes it funny when someone complains about the 20km torps. I will gladly take the 7km Minekaze torps on a Shimakaze in 3x5 Tube launchers with a 47 second reload. Or the Zao torpedos - those things are awesome. 76kn, 8km, 21k damage.

Burno fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The reality of it is, its some rear end in a top hat with short range Torpedos like a Benson killing him from smoke, and the Shimakaze that never gets any kills is getting the blame.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Just had a pretty good match in my Des Moines. I am typically not a fan of this ship (prefer the Zao), but she didn't let me down this match.

I basically soloed them all, including an Amagi, North Carolina, and Izumo 1v1.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They deliberately broke manual torpedo drops so that they don't work anymore, and the torpedo spread is so wide that 4 planes per Japanese squadron allows even battleships to dodge most torpedoes, while American carriers don't have enough torpedo bombers to constitute a strike.

Carriers have been nerfed into the sea, don't use them.

Sorry you can't just wipe out a tier 10 battleship in 1 pass anymore.

There are some issues with carriers, but the higher tier carriers are anything but bad or useless.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

tater_salad posted:

just had my first decent match. Was fun to play with some folks that stuck together and didn't all die at once. I think I did a decent job of spamming torpedoes and smoke, while raining shells on my enemy. In the lower levels torps are pretty destructive. I wonder if at some point you are going to be given a limited amount so you can't just spam alleys.

I really wish that as well as a land collision warning there was a friendly ship collision warning.. I've been hit and basically disabled from firing guns and torpedos towards enemys several times now, the guys don't even react to comign near me as I turn to avoid. (No it's not me.. I keep my eye on the map to stay away.. and ths happens while I"m going on a steady course. I've watched friendlies turn towards me. it's like bumper boats man.

They have said all ammo will be limited eventually.

As far as hitting other boats use shift to toggle zoom and keep better awareness of the idiots around you.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

the changes in 0.4 own

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

jownzy posted:

So did they drastically up the credits and xp needed in .4?

New Orleans is 110k and 8.9 million credits... wow.

xp on the test server is 45x for your first win in a ship scaling to like 30x 25x

Dunno if it goes below 25x, I haven't played any ship more than one or two matches before getting the next.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

They just need to improve the tier 6 to 8 torpedos to make the ramp up more gradual. Right now its like roughly the same torpedo very tier until you get the own zone torpedos at tier 9 and 10. At which point you can deny half the map and ambush slaughter people at will.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

They have a pretty favorable refund policy (if they will follow it), so I asked for all my money back.

I am ashamed to admit how much, but I spent a lot of money on this game, and since everything was wiped anyways...

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/156/21/can-i-get-a-refund-for-my-premium-shop-purchase

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

pixel watergate might be appropriate.

also i just feel like being a thorn tonight

you should include the refund policy
https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/156/21/can-i-get-a-refund-for-my-premium-shop-purchase

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

free boat confirmed (if you had the e3 humble bundle code)

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/34445-humble-bundle-e3-digital-ticket-update-murmansk-will-be-credited/

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

grrarg posted:

I am giving up on the Aoba for now until more non-poopsockers catch up. Two of the five games in it have been 7vs7 with tier 9 carriers on the other team. One of the games had a Taiho, North Carolina, and Nagato division. I imagine it is even worse outside of primetime.

You have some bad luck. I have been tearing it up with my Aoba. I mostly get into games with Atlantas and Atagos and they just melt to my Aoba if I keep a good angle.

I have to say the Aoba has really surprised me. It's armor will bounce almost anything off the side AP wise.
I remember is being decent in CBT, but I didn't have to play it a much as I have now.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Myoko getting battles vs tier 4 battleships is pretty awesome.

Mogami getting ever closer...

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

There is nothing about the Tenru that isn't a steaming pile of poo poo.

It isn't a Furutaka, so it has that going for it.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The 7km torps on Minekaze are the best.

Torpedo spotting is a % of max torpedo range, so torps in the 7-8km range tend to sneak up on people and are less likely to be evaded. Once you get into the 10-20km torps most people will be able to easily avoid them.

Also Minekaze has a 5.9km surface detection range, so you should never have problems shooting the 7km torps undetected.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I see why people have Tier 10 carriers, its like 3500 - 4500 xp per win on average and you get those confederate flags every day. A loss is still like 2500xp.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Huh? Has somebody tested this and figured this out? I was under the assumption that torpedo detection range is constant. People didn't avoid the 20 km range long lances any better than 7km torps, it was almost always down to speed and their own attentiveness. Unless this changed recently, of course. I have yet to get back into the Mutsuki, much less the T9 Kagero.

It was always that way since I have been playing (March)

You can see long lances at like 10km where you wont even see a Minekaze's torps when they are dropped at the 7km range, until they get much closer. People who get hit by the long lances at 20km are basically afk or blind. Which is why those long range kills were the most amusing, especially if they complained.

Ok the 10km spotting on the long lances is an exaggeration, but it is quite a bit longer spotting than those 7km torps.

I did a quick search and found this:
code:
The upgraded torpedoes:

Umikaze: 0.8km (range 8km, speed 48 knots)
Minekaze: 1.3km (range 10km, speed 57 knots)
Shimakaze: 2.1km (range 15km, speed 67 knots)

The Shimikaze's stock torps (20km) are also spotted from 2.1km, so it's not range based.

Sampson: 0.9km (range 4.5km, speed 54 knots)
Nicholas: 1.5km (range  5.5km, speed 65 knots)
Gearing: 1.6km (range 16.5km, speed 66 knots).

Zao: 2.4km (range 8km, speed 76 knots)

Gremyashchy: 1.3km (range 8km, 55 knots)

Burno fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 4, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Is that data from wargaming, or from a player test? That seems a bit more realistic, as I was about to call you out on 10km detection range being hilariously impossible. Torpedo visibility was changed a couple of patches back, especially in regards to airplane spotting. If they ever add a custom game mode, this would probably be one of the first things I'd test. I'll have to keep a mental note to be a guinea pig for enemy DDs to see how soon their torps appear, as I was under the assumption that the range is constant (and I still think is, but I have to conduct a test first to confirm or deny).

Edit: Actually, looking at the data, its possible torpedo detection is based on the size of the torpedo, as both of the Shimakaze's torps are long lances, one just has a heavier payload and less range.

It is from player tests I think

back on carrier chat, I am almost to Hiryu after only 1 day of carrier play

2500 avg xp per game rules

It is ridiculous how good the IJN carriers are, sure the spread is big, but you only need to hit 1 per drop and you can almost sink any ship in the game with 3 torp squads at tier 5-6. As you move up the bigger ships are usually longer so hitting 2-3 torps per spread is much easier, so still instantly killing them is easier too.

If I am the last one alive I can basically win against any odds as long as there isn't a DD driving around. :argh:

Burno fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 4, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

You must be up against some really lovely cruiser drivers

You can keep saying that, but there is nothing they can do when you manual drop right next to them. They can turn all they want, I will just move my planes a bit and still drop it on their side, and at least one torpedo will hit them.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Insert name here posted:

The rear gunner one seems completely pointless because I think I've seen bombers shoot down something a total of like, one time ever and I don't think +10% effectiveness or whatever is going to change that.

I have it on my IJN captain, and I have had quite a few times where my bomber squadron has killed 1-2 equal level fighters chasing after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Tier 9 and 10 cruisers get the battleship repair ability which has limited charges, so it will be useful then, but until then, yeah...