Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Off the top of my head from the Beta weekend.

The rock, paper, scissors of this game is:

Battleships poo poo on cruisers with their big guns and can go toe-to-toe with other battleships. Slow moving battleships are vulnerable to torpedoes.

Cruisers can poo poo on aircraft as some have heavy AA batteries, plink away at battleships and hurt destroyers with their main guns. Little to no armor, so hits from battleships or torpedoes are deadly. Some cruisers have torpedoes as well.

Destroyers spam torpedoes and are fast and maneuverable, but little health so can be destroyed easily by cruisers or battleships. Dive bombers also rip apart destroyers.

Aircraft carriers can poo poo on anyone all over the map, but are pretty defenseless if someone gets close.

All ships have damage control parties which put out fires, stop flooding, etc., all of which cause damage over time. They have a cool-down period so using it wisely. Fires do less damage than flooding so nothing sucks harder than using a DC party on a fire to take a full spread torpedoes 30 seconds later sucks.

Destroyers can lay down smoke to obscure friendly ships from enemy ones. It's also on a cool-down and has "charges" so you can only do it a few times.

Cruisers can focus AA fire which can be really deadly to aircraft when the right cruiser is using it. Also has "charges" if I remember correctly.("Intensify the forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through.")

Battleships have super damage control parties that actually repair hitpoints. Also has limited uses.

I didn't play carriers, so I can't remember their special function.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

When I played on that weekend test, yes it used the spotting system so a battleship did just disappear. Hopefully, that will get fixed.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I said come in! posted:

World of Warplanes was a gigantic disaster, so i'm not nearly as hyped for Warships as I was two years ago. World of Tanks is still really solid though.

What made warplanes a disaster?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Limited by throw weight and reload. No ammunition considerations. Also in tier 4/5 and maybe t6 games seemed to mostly hinge on who had more carriers due to the lack of AA weaponry and the awfulness of pubbies. If memory serves the US t5 cruiser gets a very good compliment of AA however not a lot of people played it because no torps and not some Japanese super undefeated battleship leading to very very little AA even in groups.

This was actually my favorite role since pubbies didn't seem to want to do it. I got up to the Tier VI US cruiser (Cleveland class) which had only 6-inch guns, but tons of AA that would devastate enemy planes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

What's the "portal" the website refers to for the closed beta testing? Is that the front page. Sorry, somewhat old and somewhat computer stupid.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Infected posted:

All signs indicate that the russians will be the third tree to be implemented. Can't wait for russian hoverships straight from SerB's design bureau.

In true Wargaming fashion, the Novgorod will be the Tier IV.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

It seems like Wargaming did not gently caress up the automatic sign-up for weekend testers. Don't really know, because I'm at work.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Aiming matters a lot in this game- hitting the citadel with AP is so much more damage than HE or badly aimed AP shots. Aiming for the magazines gives the chance for instant detonation too, which is one of the most satisfying things to do.

Where are the magazines? Is there something in game that shows it?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

One very fun event playing last night was snap-shotting one HE round into a carrier with my Omaha and after five minutes of trading shots and dodging torpedoes I hear "enemy carrier sunk". I guess the guy never bothered to put out the fire.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The Cleveland is the best ship:

The game ended with me in the cap circle and maybe 10-15 seconds to winning. One BB on our side was still alive and two carriers.

The Cleveland just chews up aircraft. That is one fun ship.

What are you guys doing for upgrades? The ROF one was a no-brainer as was the AA boost on this ship, but the other two slots seem like a crap shoot.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

How seriously does WG ban players for making real life threats?

Because this pubbie raged his way into one:

He continued post match, threatening to "hunt me down."

Also, I think cruisers do work best when paired with another ship. I can either maneuver to avoid fire well or lay fire down well, but not both at the same time. When it's another cruiser, I don't mind taking some hits, but BB guns? No, thanks.

DonkeyHotay posted:

I really can't think dd's are that underpowered against battleships seeing as I just saw a tier 5 destroyer drive into a group of 2 Kongos and a Nagato in open water, torp the Nagato, drive back into his smoke, finish off the Nagato and leave.

Was it a Japanese or American destroyer?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

For BBs the Kawachi has less than a 10 km range. Stock Myogi is barely over 10.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Think of DDs like this: In the first half of the game, you just kill other DDs. Once they're thinned out, you look for targets of opportunity and jump them while they're occupied or go hunt down a carrier. Like everything you need to be constantly re-evaluating where you're going and what your next move is based on the minimap but with DDs I've found that you need to change plans constantly because you're so god drat fragile and can't afford to take any hits.

That said, DD hunting in american DDs is great. Other DDs get so torpedo-focused they don't expect you to waste them in 2-3 volleys of your guns.

This seems like good advice and I'm going to take it.

You can't expect it in pub matches, but when it happens, teamwork is a wonderful thing. I was divisioned up with a buddy, I'm in my Cleveland, he in a St. Louis :haw:. A Kongo was trying to cap, but the CV player kept the bombers coming. He wasn't aiming the planes well, but it was good enough to keep the Kongo distracted and maneuvering rather than shooting at us. Two CA's six inch guns reduced him fairly quickly. But we stayed out of his secondary battery range because holy poo poo are BB secondaries buffed from the beta weekend test. Two CA's closed within my secondaries, one on each side and the secondaries sunk one and severely damaged the other.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Carriers are much more fun than playing arty in World of Tanks, but I'd rather play the other ships. Some other nerds I know through a friend were playing a carrier division where one carried the fighters and the other carried the bombers. They cleaned up pretty well working together.

Pimpmust posted:

In my Saipan I've really noticed the step up in AA, attacking anywhere near a tier VI cruiser is just "whelp gonna lose 1-2 planes and he'll probably use that ability that makes 1 squad freak out and miss entirely", which extends to any nearby juicy battleships.

Likewise even a tier V carrier is a lovely idea to attack as long as they still got their fighters, but even their AA and quick maneuvering will really make any attack against them not worth it (because usually a carrier is also the target furthest away = drop in "flights per minute" or whatever metric you use for carrier attacks).

Destroyer AA isn't super deadly, but certainly annoying at tier VI. Probably lose planes just hanging around nearby and hitting destroyers is well... not easy.

Battleship AA isn't super, but it seems to be really long ranged so any attack run has to be set up further away and there's less time for last minute corrections.

Tier VII+ may become a giant pain in the rear end as more AA gets added, but maybe the upgraded fighters and bombers get even more health that more than makes up for it? :iiam:

Oh, I didn't know that the cruiser AA barrage ability extended to other vessels.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

SuperSix posted:

You got the Erie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Erie_%28PG-50%29) for the USN and the Katori for the IJN.

So still about 30 years after the Dreadnought

But then time reverses to 1906 in Tier II which is a bit weird. I would love to see WWI Jutland-style battleship duels sans aircraft.

Nordick posted:

The current low tier goon favourite, the St. Louis class, was built between 1905 and 06 and looks like this:

She's beautiful. <3

I hope the Olympia gets introduced as a premium or something. I've taken to to spamming "You may fire when ready, Gridley" when driving a St. Louis.

VVVV I think they're also giving keys out on Twitter.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 16, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The higher-tier IJN DDs have 10km-plus range torpedoes. That plus smokescreens give them a lot of utility in large-scale encounters. Don't try to close the range except against distracted targets, or you will explode.

US DDs, I don't even know how you're supposed to play.

Shoot other DD's then go for distracted or high value targets. Carrier kills are very fun.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I spent an entire round last night skirting the edge of a Cleveland's range in my Phoenix, supporting my BBs while he tried to get me, then later on in the round he switched over to my BBs and I moved in and scored a bunch of edge-of-range hits including the killing blow for the victory. :feelsgood:

Clevelands are seriously terrifying when you're in a Phoenix/Omaha

Last night I got 3 citadel hits in one volley on a Phoenix in my Cleveland. One could probably take on two Phoenixes or Omahas in a Cleveland without really worrying. If they close to torp range, the Cleveland driver has to worry, but that also puts the Phoneix or Omaha in range of murderous secondaries. Pensacola, especially stock, looks like it is going to be a let down.

Also, great advice on focusing on enemy DD's when playing a DD at the start of the match. I couldn't save a Myogi who charged up torpedo alley unsupported, but was able to help knock out the enemy DD and when he was done, slip back and torp kill a Langley.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

"AI controlled ships in Co-op battles may sometimes run into islands and then need to reverse."

Um....pubbies do this all the time.

Also, two buffs that I think need to happen are more smoke for DDs and carriers should be able to unlock the next tier's planes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I think they nerfed xp and credits:

Also, the Kongo is pretty awesome. It's not even fully upgraded.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That was my brother. I forgot to tell him to make sure it's "random battle". I was wondering why the team pools were so small. :ughh:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That Willie D. story is hilarious.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

demonR6 posted:

WG returned my Cleveland after a failed attempt to fix that stuck situation I created after dropping from queue the previous day. The commander was a newbie, my uber skilled commander gone forever. All the mods, gone. Ship experience, gone.

That sucks.

hopterque posted:

I just really want to be able to set certain turrets to point certain directions. Like if I know I'm turning in a direction I want my aft turrets to lock in a broadside friendly direction ahead of time while my front turrets still swivel and shoot targets to the front.

I use the right mouse button. Aim where you want the turret to face and then hold the rmb down as you maneuver the ship. I do this to "pre-aim" turrets, especially on a battleship when I'm rounding an island or coming about to take on a different ship, etc.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

hopterque posted:

I'm talking about when I'm still engaging targets with my other turrets, but know that I want (usually) the rear turrets ready to start shooting at thing on the correct side as I make my turn.

Ah, got it.

Prav posted:

It's way easier to move a captain than a WOT crew when the skills fit, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a credits respec option.

Credits shorten the "retraining period" when you retrain a captain.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

I got the Aoba and thought "Wow, this is pretty decent and fun!".

I unlocked the Cleveland two rounds ago.

I now know the meaning of "exploiting the current meta". It turns. It shoots down planes. It shoots down ships. It shoots... everything. Who needs torpedoes when you can gun down everything at 10km+ while barely thinking?

It's going to be nerfed, and I will be sad.

I hope not; it's a lot of fun. For some reason I really enjoy screening the BBs and shooting down planes. Two squadrons of dive bombers in like a minute on match.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The Pee-cola also had torpedoes, but they were removed before 1941. I need about 100,000 credits to get it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Just got my rear end handed to me in my first pee-cola match..... by a Cleveland. The pee-cola isn't bad, even stock, but don't let a Cleveland close range. Second match wasn't so bad. The ROF on the eight inchers isn't terrible and they do have range. When they hit a cruiser like an Aorta or Mogami, they can put out the hurt. Second game, still stock, wasn't bad. Got one 26000 HP citadel salvo on an Aorta. I kind of like the ship.

demonR6 posted:

I was promised immeasurable wealth and glory by my teachers in grade school.

My teachers got angry at me for drawing ships all throughout grade school and high school. In college, I took a naval architecture course, but it involved math. :smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

The problem with the current tier balance is the devs have mixed treaty and non-treaty ships. The tier 7 and tier 8 American heavy cruisers(Pensacola and New Orleans) were treaty cruisers that followed the 10,000 ton limit. While the Cleveland was a non-treaty "light" cruiser that massed a full three thousand tons more.

The same thing happens with Japanese destroyers. During WWII Japan had two tiers of destroyers. Advanced, large, non-treaty destroyers like the Fubuki and cheaper smaller treaty destroyers like the Hatsuharu. That's why once you get past tier 5 the Japanese destroyers seem so incredibly terrible.

Also, if you compare the armor on the American cruiser line is pretty much equal until the Baltimore which gets like 20mm or so more armor in some spots. In order to meet the treaty tonnage requirement, armor was sacrificed.

This is, in my opinion, why the tiers don't seem to matter as much as in tanks. Guns and armor improvements are slight to non-existent a lot of times to comply with the treaty limit.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I think the concept of "pulling range" is alien to most pubbies. Charge into five battleships in a Cleveland? Don't run away, just keep pressing. You'll beat them. Oh, I'm fighting a Cleveland in my Peniscola, how about I close to 8km so I can't miss. Naw, his 7 second reload won't mean anything.

One thing I really like about this game, apart from shippy goodness is that I'm much better at it for some reason compared to tanks. The Peniscola, despite being one of the uglier cruisers on the US line with its inverted turret arrangement and low freeboard (though it does have a nice clipper bow), isn't a bad ship. It plays differently than the Steamer and isn't OP for its tier, but it's not bad. I love getting three citadel hits on another Peniscola and pretty much two salvoing it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

How's my driving is hilarious. I have to use that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

In other news WG is changing the title of the release to World of Bote Citizen so "players" can feel more comfortable about their boat purchases. :colbert:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Is the auto aim mod still working? I haven't mustered the :effort: to download it yet.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Vorkosigan posted:

Sometimes....sometimes the teams just don't want to win.

Killed 3 destroyers, 1 cruiser, and a BB. Got another 2 BBs down to low, but my team decided to just....not shoot the red ships, I guess.

Know how you feel:

Got more raw HP than the top guy on the winning team.

And, yeah, the pepsi-cola is pretty :black101:. I love one-shotting destroyers in that thing.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Cleveland will murder planes even a tier or two higher, especially if you choose the AA range upgrade. But really, any American CA above Tier V will chew through planes at or even above its tier.

Had a very fun game on Sunday, I think, Sims division and a couple of pubbie DD tagalongs. We 1000 cut a Cleveland to death and nobody fired a torpedo at it.

Anyone have any idea when Open Beta hits? I want to burn through my free xp before it all gets wiped.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

haha yeah took just a bit over 30 minutes to download first 5.5 gigs, this last .5 has taken over an hour.

By the way, they just flag the Wo* account as a beta tester, you don't get sent a key so if you were already in and pre-ordered a bundle you dont get another CBT key.

I've been playing the CBT since it came out and got the Sims package. WG emailed me key yesterday anyway. I would give it away, but don't know if that would screw up my access.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Got my first cruiser captain to Commodore and a +4 level skill. I'm kind of torn between the increased AA / secondary range skill and the pyromania skill.

What's the base chance of setting things on fire? 5%, so the 5% upgrade doubles it?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'm liking the New Orleans as well. Nothing like shooting a Cleveland and getting 3 citadel hits in one salvo. Did that twice in one game.

Also, the Fuso is a monster:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Insert name here posted:

It's also way harder to gently caress up and die instantly and do nothing compared to WoT.

This is one of the things I really like about botes. Tanks could be very frustrating sometimes when that happened.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Insert name here posted:

"I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna torp his rear end this time" -me, every time right before dying to a Nagato's secondaries in my DD

Over the weekend, I watched some tunnel-vision pubbie still kill a wounded Kongo with his secondaries alone.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Flags will be awesome. I can't wait to fly the brevity code for "Crewman has a venereal disease."

edit: MKK - penis is swollen or MKH - foreskin will not go to back to normal position.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

demonR6 posted:

I know, I created an area in TS just to facilitate this..

also you botes shitlers Aslain now has a modpack for botes. I added it to the OP as well.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0303-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v010-23042015/

Demon, thanks for linking the mods in the OP. Last night I was playing w/out any mods, still did decent. Killed two cruisers and a destroyer with secondaries in my Nagato. Whoever it was who said to upgrade all the secondaries on that thing is a genius.