Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Omaha isn't terrible AA for it's tier; one should be able to damage Langley and Independence aircraft. Cleveland and above, it's an AA wrecking ball. I find frustrating enemy carriers by shooting down multiple squadrons of their planes is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I love the Nagato's secondaries. Simply shreds destroyers at 7.5 km.

Does the Amagi have similar secondaries?

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't believe they are ignoring radar directed fire control on American BBs.

Yeah, I hope they change their mind. It seems like a pretty stupid decision.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Isn't all Destroyer AA relatively bullshit? My fully upgraded tier VI (Fletcher, I think) has nice AA for it's size, but seems rather pointless, considering the way this game is played. WWII DD's got all that extra AA to fight off Kamikaze's.* I've even considered going back to the original layout for the extra gun.

That said, I think when this game gets it's version of clan wars, interlocking AA fire from cruisers and American DD's would shred enemy planes.

*Maybe IJN carriers are going to have Kamikaze options. That would make them hilarious, and the AA for more needed for destroyers.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I can't stand in domination games when my pub team makes zero effort to capture the circles. They just steam around, slinging shells at long range at enemy ships and eventually lose because they're too timid.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Unlocked the Baltimore yesterday; don't think I'll make it to the Des Moines before the patch hits. Not a terrible ship, but doesn't play too much differently than the New Orleans. It's a little beefier, but a slightly slower rate of fire.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Kesper North posted:

This. I have seriously killed an entire Kongo from full health with Nagato secondaries while I mindlessly shot something else. And if a destroyer comes within 7.5km? Dead DD.

Absolutely. I've killed half a dozen US DD's doing precisely this. They can't even fire their torpedoes as they're getting pummeled with secondary broadsides.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Same but Nelsol/Rodnol. Never not full steam nearly straight into Team Red firing all guns and ending with a ram attack when low on health.
Think of England, gentlemen :britain::black101:

I always loved the nicknames, Nelsol and Rodnol.

Krogort posted:

Concerning anti air.
When is it worthwile to pick the anti air range upgrade ?
I've got it on my Cleveland but don't notice much difference in effectiveness against aircraft, my captain is quite low level though so I don't have the active ability upgrade yet.

On the Cleveland, I recommend the accuracy upgrade instead of the AA one. I have chosen both AA perks on my cruiser captain though and the second AA upgrade on my Baltimore. It simply murders planes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Prinz Eugen, while not terribly interesting or auspicious in its career, was known as a lucky ship. So lucky, it survived the war to do a stint as the USS Prinz Eugen in the American Navy and survived two atomic blasts in the Bikini Atoll testing. It even had a combined German and American crew for it's voyage to Boston from Europe.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Cruisers are my favorite as well. The only thing I miss in my cruiser is no repair ability like a battleship, though tier 9 and 10 will be supposedly getting it. My guess is that it will be a nerfed version much like the BB's float plane is a nerfed version of the cruiser.

And the Kaiserliche Marine flag is one of the best historical naval flags and the Nazi version ugly as sin. I do hate when people soft-pedal the Nazis in games like this, but I'm no fan of soft-pedaling the Soviets either.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

two_step posted:

So for some reason they are letting Russian players test the 3.1 patch, and some of them are streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNav86pwn6M is one stream

The amount of gold, funbux, and free XP that guy has. Dev?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Play full Atlanta platoon for hilarity's sake.

Also, since WG devs :airquote:acknowledge:airquote: some players love of certain Japanese animated programming, they should be cruel Russians and have anime flavored skins that reduce a ship's hp by half.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Yesterday, I faced a very good CV driver in my Nagato. Perfect runs every time; dodging one set of torpedo bombers meant being broadside to the other and I was jinking and changing course and speed like crazy to make his setting up the run as difficult as possible. That kept me to only eating one or two torpedoes every time he attached me, but drat the guy knew what he was doing.

:rip: Nagato secondaries. I loved eating destroyers with those things.

edit: I wished they put percentage modifiers on accuracy. "Nerfed accuracy on secondaries" could mean a 2% reduction or a 12% reduction.

Also, good to see ROF buffed on the Baltimore. It's not a bad ship, but relatively painful for its tier.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 13, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Now's a great time to play Destroyers, all those tasty slow rear end Battleships :getin:

I was thinking about re-purchasing a Wickes or Nicholas for just such shenanigans.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Not super impressed with the Wyoming, 12 boomsticks is nice but man 14km is a huge pain in the rear end and it's only going to get worse as I move up.

Hope it beats the snot out of a South Carolina. Though one can still do nice things with it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

rossmum posted:

God drat this game is looking good now.

Warspite with some jenga towers in the background:

And some :britain::hf::911:

I love the new sinking effects including oil slicks, etc.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Looking forward to clan wars: The regatta.

:rimshot:

I always wanted a Naval Reserve yacht pennant.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

There's a x4 bonus going on?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The Atlanta is still a good ship in my book. Did a good job protecting cruiser buddies but got caught around an island by an Amagi. I got him to half health before he got me and my engines were down most of that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

What's the deal with x4? I see people posting that. Is it a EU server thing, or one of the flags you can add?

Also, I love the Atlanta:

The guy TK_Konstantin was playing Horatio Nimitz and ordering people around and then was complaining when people weren't following his orders. :jerkbag:

Also, 16k in fire damage. I'm loving the pyro perk for my cruiser captain.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I don't remember which one of you talked me into getting an Atlanta, but that ship is a blast. If you're primaried by the red team, you're hosed, but if you can hang back and catch other ships or DD's off guard, it's a monster.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Just got the Des Moines. Still learning her ins and outs, but the AA is simply monstrous. I vaporized two flights of torpedo bombers and a flight of dive bombers in like five seconds. Don't pay attention to the DPM on the 76mm Mk33 guns like in that video. When they hit, they kill. (Which is historically accurate.) Also, the Des Moines will murder any cruiser 1 v 1 except another Des Moines or if a Japanese cruiser is in torpedo range.

I also killed an allied battleship with secondaries. :ohdear:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Holy sweet baby Odin is the Des Moines a kick rear end ship. Six second reloads on 8 inch guns plus the pyro skill = :supaburn:

I had some poor Colorado alight in five places after he used his damage control party. The Des Moines also reliably citadels cruisers outside their immune zones.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Had a great x4 in in the Farragut. It was on the map with all the icebergs, especially down south and two dd's from my team (including me) and two red dd's were knife fighting it out among the icebergs. It was a lot of fun and I got both of them. Plus I poured a bunch of shots into the red CV.

Also, different game, but my Nagato's secondaries. Killed two DD's with my secondaries alone and they helped with a BB and cruiser. Nothing like steaming between the BB and the cruiser and secondaries on both sides opening up. The BB had it's guns pointed the wrong way and must have been tunnel visioned like mad because he just steamed in a straight line shooting at one of my teammates.

I'm going to miss them since I just unlocked the Amagi. :rip: Nagato secondaries.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I head on rammed some pubbie's almost full health Amagi in my quarter health New York. He killed me and I took all but a tiny bit of health away and the flooding did the rest. We both had a laugh about it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The Izumi and Yamato should have decent range out of their 6 inch secondary turrets, like maybe a base of 7km and a lower base for their 127mm DP guns. They're little different from the Cleveland's or that IJN cruiser's six inchers.

Also, I played one match last night and it was in my Des Moines and holy poo poo is that ship amazing. It simply murders destroyers and will even put a real hurting on BB's. One pubbie in a Colorado made the mistake of stopping shooting at me to focus on a teammate after he got me down to 1/4 health with one salvo. I ended up with the kill.

Also, for secondary chat, I think US secondaries on mid-tier battleships are noticeable weaker than their IJN counterparts, especially in fully upgraded versions that sacrifice secondary batteries for AA. The Colorado's secondaries were barely scratching me. I think my secondaries were doing more damage.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 28, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

They took away the ability to zoom in on guns, torpedo tubes, etc. in today's mini-patch.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

grrarg posted:

I have not noticed any change. Did you mean from that eye in the sky mod?

No, in the port, you could zoom in on a vessel's main battery, secondary guns, and AA guns by clicking a little camera in the dropdown menu about the ship. It was fun looking at the different mounts and the attention to detail that WG put into the ships.

Smoremaster posted:

It's pretty cool that there are real laser guns for ships now. :hellyeah:

Does the USA use red blasters or green blasters?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Is the 50 game thing from the beginning of CBT, because I haven't played this in a couple of weeks? I got to the Des Moines and didn't want to keep grinding on other trees.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Is the 50 game grind for the Arkansas from the beginning of CBT or for when they announced it? After I ground my way up to the Des Moines, I've been giving warships a break.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'm going to miss the Des Moines. That is an awesome ship.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Crash74 posted:

Wait what? there getting rid of the des moines?

What Aesis said, just have to do the (much worse) grind again. The Des Moines is a murder machine compared to the ships that come before it in Tiers 7-9.

I'll update the patch, but will be playing Witcher 3 on my new graphics card first. :supaburn:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

demonR6 posted:

My friends.. this is how you Atago! Banzai!!!!

Yes, this is a full-size screencap.

Since my Atlanta got wiped and all my gold is back I'm going to have to grab this one. She looks purdy.

I'm going to be so behind since I'm been playing Witcher 3 on my new graphics card.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yep - just was able to log in and the Atago and Atlanta are gone from the in-game store. Ha ha...gently caress Wargaming.

EDIT: Evidently the reason they removed them is they were being used too effectively for seal-clubbing at the moment. They'll only return when there's enough natural tech tree opponents around to challenge them.

:10bux: says they'll be purchasable for *actual* money by the weekend for people who don't want to wait.

I'll take your :10bux: and raise you :10bux:. :Wargaming:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I wonder how they're going to work the Mikasa with its mix of 12 inch guns and 6 inch casement guns. It might be a secondary murder machine the way Nagato was in CBT.

Also, yeah, seriously, the Omaha wasn't that fun of a bote. Why another one?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'll try to tear myself away from Witcher 3 to play some games. Might be hard though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

So I played this game like a champ in CBT, grinding my way to Des Moines and when open beta came out, I generally couldn't be bothered. (That and Witcher 3 ate up my video game time.) It seems like my Atlanta was taken back and the doubloons refunded. I'm liking the look of the Atago? Is that worth it?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

It seems a lot has changed since cbt. What tier do cruisers get the supercharged aa ability?

Also, got the Atago. It is a fun ship. My second game with it happened to have three other Atago drivers. We had this ad hoc squad of four and shredded three BBs by focusing fire. Teamwork with randoms can be fun.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Ok thank you. I haven't seen a real benefit to the hydro acoustic skill. Does it work better on particular ships?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Getting rid of the ability to drop torps 5 feet from your ship would help.

I was in my Arkansas Beta and using an island for what I thought was cover, thinking that they cant launch from the island side, they'll have to fly around and launch from seaward. Nope; :wargaming:. The CV driver dropped his torpedoes in like the 20 feet of water between my BB and the island, giving me 2 or 3 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

PirateBob posted:

This is really amazing :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZAH8cxufPc

Vid from a WoWS Asia moderator

That is a great video. I love when both sides of secondaries are broadsiding simultaneously.