Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

How seriously does WG ban players for making real life threats?

Because this pubbie raged his way into one:

He continued post match, threatening to "hunt me down."

That needs to go to Gunlion. They aren't putting up with that nonsense.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A lot of old tanks people are popping up in this game. After a chorus of 'gently caress GOONS', a number of people on both teams spent like 5 minutes chatting about MS-W, and ChairInACasket. :rip: Chair.

ChairInABasket was playing Friday night.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Riller posted:

If you're talking about the channel called "goons" the PW is the same as the one for the WoT goons channel. Thread is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I added this to the OP because :reasons:

I am not sure if this thread can or can't be seen outside of being a paying member but regardless it's linked now, thanks!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just raped a Fuso and two carriers in succession in my Cleveland to end the evening which was not a bad thing.

Here comes the Cleveland Steamer..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

plehsistential posted:

So aside from the Kongo, what are some other ships people think are worth keeping? I'm pretty ambivalent about the St. Louis, and six slots with no piasters is pretty limiting. I'm assuming that for CVs, just keep on going up, and for CLs, the cleveland is worth keeping around.

I enjoy the Cleveland and Kongo but the Cleveland steamer wins out since I can pound out more fire which is the main goal anyways. It's not good at long ranges but has noteworthy AA and is responsive.

I played through the Pensacola and Amagi through Alpha and the latter was the most memorable of the two although most people prefer the Pensacola because it has better accuracy.

Quick torpedo chat I was playing on Saturday night for while with someone who is very effective with them and he suggested his method of firing your first and second waves staggered with a slight variation. If you can bait your target into maneuvering with the first wave you can likely unload the second and score hits. Also you can try leading your target with the first wave into the direction you want diverting their attention from whatever target they might be trying to focus down.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don't let CV's sit in the back of the map at a full stop with nothing to do but send endless calculated waves of torpedoes at you. If they are busy evading getting sunk and having to maneuver all over the place then they do not have time to work out complicated poo poo. Most people can't steer a ship without managing to run into another player, an island or off the map boundaries because they are so focused. I cannot imagine the difficulty a CV player would have when they are being actively hunted down and trying to play in Starcraft mode effectively.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

..they take away the strongest and most fun part of the game, namely the ship to ship battles and the gratifying moments when your 16" shells hit home and blow up something in one salvo. Or the horrid race between life and death when you do a torp run in a DD.

That pretty much sums it up. CV's are almost a game within a game. making GBS threads on other ships is the whole fun of this game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Generation Internet posted:

Phontomen's videos sold me on this, it looks like a lot of good fun to dump torpedoes into boats. Sorry if this comes up every page, but how often are they sending out invites to the closed beta?

You have to keep an eye on the sign up page and keep spamming it until you get in. From there just pray they get to you in a timely fashion. There is no preference over who gets in at this point. poo poo even for alpha when they supposedly were screening people I think it was all bullshit.

Good luck, goonspeed and hope you get in.

So does anyone know of any AA fuckery they can share with the rest of us looking for magic keys to mash while in game? They've left everything up to chance and for the players to figure out which does no one any good. I'll post it in the OP as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also you can enable replays by editing the preferences.xml file and adding this line just before </scriptsPreferences> which is at the end of the file almost.

Replays are not working yet in this build but they will enable it again in the future according to Gunlion. They were working last build, at least you can save them now and use them at a later time.

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>
<ReplayCameraUpdate> 30 </ReplayCameraUpdate>

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

This is probably one of the best things I like about this game. Even being a low tier trashcan you are generally just as capable of putting out serious damage as everyone else.

I absolutely wrecked a Kongo last night in my St. Louis for the second time in as many days because bad players underestimate this ship. Watching it haplessly try to maneuver into position, waiting for a 20+ second reload.. missing then getting beat down by your support because of target fixation is satisfying even if you die in the exchange. A Kongo for a St.Lou in match where I am lower tier and they need the firepower.. fair trade.

I survived, he didn't.. while he was turning about to engage me one of our DD's popped out and nuked him at close range. #glug

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.

Those must be the stupid alpha testers that I never associated with.. not one single person I know from alpha would ever say that and they mostly have positive things to say about the game so far. Are these idiots posting on the brown sea forums?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen many matches where a DD makes it into the backfield and absolutely wrecks poo poo and the whole team is like how the hell did that happen?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Much like Tanks, Teamwork is OP. In my Kongo the only single ship I'm afraid of is a Fuso. That's after Torps. Even then I'm fairly certain I can trade long-range shots and dodge their's via maneuvering.

You can certainly hold your own versus a Fuso in a Kongo. I am pretty sure the Fuso's guns are less accurate although the pack a better punch. If you are modded and the captain is trained correctly you'll shred a less skilled Fuso for sure.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys we managed to break the game! We were in a division consisting of two Clevelands and an Amagi. Sitting in the queue the five minute mark passed with nothing so I exited the queue and nothing happened but the spinning activity logo. Thinking I bugged the game I closed the client, launched and got back in game without issues except my Cleveland in port showed I was in battle. Chat worked so we thought it really went into a match and we had to wait it out. I thought we could launch a game meanwhile but nope, I could select another ship but it would not launch. I tried creating a new division but nope so I asked someone that was in game to send me an invite.. no joy. I logged back out, tried again and nothing. After taking screens and posting it in the bug thread a full hour later the game is still bugged out.

I manged to get one of the devs in TS via a connection I have and he went to the extent of removing my Cleveland altogether from my account and I can still not launch a loving game. We are going to wait until the server reset at 5AM PDT and cross fingers it fixes itself else who knows.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I found a game breaker, go me.

Skin chat.

If you browse to the folder in the image below, that is where the skins are for the USN cruisers.

All nations use the same premise, you just need to find the textures folder. In the example above, the skin is ends with the _a.dds, not the hull though so ASC007_Cleveland_1945_a.dds is the skin you want to edit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've been getting Cleaveland-shaped dicks rammed in and out of my rear end every time I try to play, so you'll get no sympathy from me. :mad:

I've had multiple 4-6 game kills today in the Cleveland and we raped a few teams earlier in a x3 Cleveland Steamer division. The best match of the day was when some shitter in a BB 5km behind us fires hitting us with no target in sight but he claimed he whiffed the shot. By the time he said that the three of us had turned out guns on him and blew the ship the shreds. Last I remember it had multiple fires going and he was going to report us.

PirateBob posted:

Has anyone tried forcing FSAA for this game?
FXAA off, using SweetFX.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 19, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Does SweetFX's SMAA work for WoWS? :)

edit: tried sweetfx with smaa, no luck for anti aliasing :/

Works like a charm. AA FXAA set to off running SweetFX and this is the comparative results.

No FX

FX Enabled

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ are you playing on gudios macbook from the tanks thread?

This is the version of SweetFX I am using and it includes the presets from my setup.

I am in TS and can jump into a channel to be sure you are setting it up right. You have to disable FXAA in game and for example if you have an nVidia card and it is enabled in the program then that might be loving with it.. that or you are using a hacked 3DS to play PC games. I can't help you then.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think there is no way in hell you would be spotted out in the open ocean with that camo job, good work!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Yeah I've got SweetFX working, FXAA off etc, and there's a slight difference with SMAA, but it doesn't really do much.

I even tried using Nvidia Inspector to try various antialiasing compatibility settings and forcing supersampling, but it does nothing for those godawful rigging wires.

What profile are you using? Can you jump on TS real quick?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, we are editing the image files using wizardry. It only works on our ships and others can't see unless you are streaming or post screens like we did.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

drat. Do you guys have a suggestion forum or something? Tell them to put in dazzle camo for premium bux.

I am going to say it is a safe bet they will do something like this because it is historical and they can make money.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

drat. Do you guys have a suggestion forum or something? Tell them to put in dazzle camo for premium bux.

Dazzle checkerboard Erie..

Yes, it's flying the SA colors.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 19, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hai guys I just unlocked my Amagi and just made a new skin for it! POI!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, I might need to pick that up since I keep having to dodge torps all game.

Slightly related:

I might need to work on my ship skinning a bit. :downs:

Looks like their advertising model has changed a bit.

I can see where this would help new players so they don't panic.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blimp has a big black dildo on it.. wth.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
WG returned my Cleveland after a failed attempt to fix that stuck situation I created after dropping from queue the previous day. The commander was a newbie, my uber skilled commander gone forever. All the mods, gone. Ship experience, gone.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

I hereby declare excessive gun micromanagement as Turret's syndrome.

So say we all..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hopterque posted:

I'm talking about when I'm still engaging targets with my other turrets, but know that I want (usually) the rear turrets ready to start shooting at thing on the correct side as I make my turn.

So being able to switch quickly between fore and aft turrets and not only have different loadouts but fire them independently as well. I would get dizzy just switching between the two but I get your drift. I loike to swap HE & AP in between volleys just to watch fuckers burst into flames, blow a repair, nail them with AP, hopefully get them to use damage control then burst them with HE again. Sucks to be them but it works like magic in the Cleveland for me when I can watch multiple fires.

I need a zoom out mod..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Looks like a shadow from that thing sticking out at the blimp's midsection.

That's the blimp's zipper.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Been watching some streamers today and am interested. After Navyfield went to poo poo I kind of lost interest in Naval combat games but it looks like the speed and action are nicely balanced from what Ive seen so far.

It has its good and bad moments. For the most part the game is enjoyable even at this state of beta. There is still quite a bit of work to do with balancing but it can get there and be a solid game if WG decides not to gently caress this up.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seems to be something going on with their servers this weekend because not only was I getting lag but the ping was all over the place. I suspect in true WG fashion this is being routed via the poo poo provider Telia and now we get to enjoy the full glory of that garbage network in botes. I was having a bitch of a time landing shots I normally have no issue with hitting without breaking a sweat and the rubberbanding that usually I see on ships at a distance was now happening to the friendly ships 3km in front of me. Way to go WG.

I managed to claw my way to enough cash this weekend to buy both the Pensacola and Nagato buying the mods and upgrades for both. Now to see which one I like more. I have enough xp to move into the next tier ship for either nation. I have played the Amagi in Alpha and was familiar with it enough to know it was not fun if one suddenly ranged you, not much experience in the Pensacola so kind of hesitant to move into the next tier on USN because of that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I thought "Hey let me not burn xp on the upgrades since a good x1.5 win today and tomorrow should unlock it" BWAHAHAAHAHA no..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

The Pee-cola also had torpedoes, but they were removed before 1941. I need about 100,000 credits to get it.

Look for me later if you need a warm body to botes with. I refuse to solo drop, we can't count on our team to not be drooling window lickers even with a 3-man division anymore.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You coward, how could you hide behind the cover of that iceberg and fire all those shots at me without coming out of hiding and fighting like a man-ship.

Let's see, you were in a DD coming at me full steam with the expectation I would round that corner so you dumped a full spread of torpedoes hoping to sink me but alas I cut back my speed well in advance anticipating your move. Then after the torpedoes harmlessly passed by me I kicked my Cleveland into full speed, caught you with your pants down and unloaded a full broadside watching you burst into flames before sinking with one volley. My code of e-bushido is not honorable, nope.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have mine bound to middle mouse. From Settings > Controls > Keyboard Controls > Weapons - Track Shell/Torpedo After Firing

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was promised immeasurable wealth and glory by my teachers in grade school.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

My teachers got angry at me for drawing ships all throughout grade school and high school. In college, I took a naval architecture course, but it involved math. :smith:

Hey sorry I was short in that match last night. I hit launch but I really wanted to be done with it after a lovely night all around. That was the finale of what had been a series of brutal fail cascades all evening so I yolo'ed up the middle hoping to be vaporized as soon as possible which sort of happened. I am hoping we lost that match miserably too since I hate all pub teams.

I'll be around tonight looking for a division.. last night was a bust and no one online seemed interested.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you know anything about Wargmaing their history with providing a good connection is loving terrible. Case in point, Telia and World of Tanks with Telia being a god-awful shitpile of a choice to route their traffic. I have zero faith in WG to get this right. None. Zilch.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

Oh I know the theory fine, I just focus on blowing up that goddamned destroyer instead and don't remember I'm supposed to be dodging until after he's dead (and then I die to his torps).

If you can see them jockeying for position to launch torpedoes you can get a pretty good idea when they might be launching. It all depends on the DD but it can be telling. If you can focus them down and try to knock out a launcher before they can get out a salvo then that would allow you more time to possibly take them out completely.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Of course, by that time you are hopefully evading or in a position to evade else there will be other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Largepotato posted:

These old Fire Control computer videos are worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0

"and other factors up to a possible total of 25.. the factors occur simultaneously"

He did not mention running aground into an island, colliding with another ship and some of the other interesting things you deal with in game.