Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Poil posted:

The game put my tier 6 carrier up against another tier 8 carrier, but this time I had a fellow tier 6 at my side. Our combined planes teamed up and got absolutely wrecked by the enemy carrier and his counter attack sank my teammate. Then his AA chewed up my last bombers and I was left with a clumsy battering ram until the enemy team had dominated all the capture points. gently caress this poo poo. :argh:

Someone did a comparison of fighter planes and besides the Buffalo which is like 130% more dakka than its earlier counterpart, the tier 8 and up are a further 50% more killy than the Buffalo (plus HP upgrades etc). They should probably look at those values.

Have an (american) destroyer video Cooked linked me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2yOdI9Dk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pimpmust posted:

Have an (american) destroyer video Cooked linked me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2yOdI9Dk8
Jesus christ, Japanese metal vocalists are the worst.

However I am glad to see phontomen has gotten into WoWS. Dude makes the most entertaining silly videos.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nordick posted:

Jesus christ, Japanese metal vocalists are the worst.

However I am glad to see phontomen has gotten into WoWS. Dude makes the most entertaining silly videos.

Yeah he got some other videos up to, with 100% less japanese vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBiQnliMpO8

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The terrible music is what really makes phontomen videos. I really want to try US destroyers now, that ROF on those guns looks fun.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I just applied for the beta, how long has it been taking for people to get their application accepted?

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

deratomicdog posted:

I just applied for the beta, how long has it been taking for people to get their application accepted?

I applied the day it opened, about six hours after, and still haven't gotten in.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I applied an hour or two after it opened and got the email about an hour later

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A fully upgraded Kongo is one of the most enjoyable point and click games I've ever played :toot:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'm actually liking US destroyers a lot, I go where the enemy destroys probably are going and just blow them up with my guns then go on close range suicide torpedo missions on battleships.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Me when playing the Ranger....Fly my pretties !!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I'm actually liking US destroyers a lot, I go where the enemy destroys probably are going and just blow them up with my guns then go on close range suicide torpedo missions on battleships.

US Destroyers are just really big torpedoes with guns if you think about it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also carriers are pretty loving stupid at tier 4 when no one has AA still.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

Being able to reliably win destroyer duels is a pretty sweet ability, and if you're doing well having the other side torps for ghetto reloads is amazing. I've had some great games running a mixed squad, my US destroyer usually wins duels and the Japanese destroyers are a lot of nice extra torpedo punch.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Someone did a comparison of fighter planes and besides the Buffalo which is like 130% more dakka than its earlier counterpart, the tier 8 and up are a further 50% more killy than the Buffalo (plus HP upgrades etc). They should probably look at those values.
Yeah, that's just insane.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

How are crits calculated? Location struck? Ammo type fired? I get them every now and then but it seems to be a crapshoot.

It's by location. Crit hit boxes let your shells get close to their max damage, so AP is better. Midship on a battleship is a good place for crits. The length of s Japanese cruiser is also good. Also, any space underneath a gun turret

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
HE will also crit the gently caress out of anything it hits.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
A lot of old tanks people are popping up in this game. After a chorus of 'gently caress GOONS', a number of people on both teams spent like 5 minutes chatting about MS-W, and ChairInACasket. :rip: Chair.

Dive bombers are scary good against DDs. I can't tell if I was getting hammered by manual aim or if it was auto, but a carrier I was chasing down kept launching squads of DBs to kill me. I weaved, I turned, I twisted around, but there was nothing I could do to shake them.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
Hi All, I think I'm doing this wrong or I have some settings wrong.

When you zoom in maximum, in the binocular view, it seems you cant shoot more than 10 KM? When you are in battleships, how do you see far enough to shoot accurately? When I zoom out so I can elevate more, it doesn't seem very precise because its easy to go form 10KM to 15KM range etc.

I assume this is a feature to make long range shots more difficult but just wanted to check and get some advice.

Thanks

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
For BBs the Kawachi has less than a 10 km range. Stock Myogi is barely over 10.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You can check the range on your guns in the module screen fyi.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Low tier BB's have poo poo range.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Is anyone aware of any key giveaways going on right now? Ive found one stream so far, but that's it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Crash74 posted:

Low tier BB's have poo poo range.

Yeah, they do, and no AA either.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Took down 2 battleships and 3 cruisers and our team still can't win....

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

MadWOPR posted:

Is anyone aware of any key giveaways going on right now? Ive found one stream so far, but that's it.

Wargaming is posting codes on the WoWS twitter.

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

DonkeyHotay posted:

I really can't think dd's are that underpowered against battleships seeing as I just saw a tier 5 destroyer drive into a group of 2 Kongos and a Nagato in open water, torp the Nagato, drive back into his smoke, finish off the Nagato and leave.

Pubbies are dumb stupid loving idiots and torpedoes are fine against dumb stupid loving idiots. Non idiots are almost impossible to hit without closing to secondary gun range.
This isn't NTRabbit being NTRabbit, destroyers are much weaker than the beta weekend or alpha destroyers, which weren't overpowered. Battleships are the strongest class by a large margin.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

In other news, the St. Louis is hilariously good.

Had this game yesterday:

Final moments were me and a carrier against a battleship. He was heading towards the carrier when I came up on his side and started shelling him, he turned his attention to me around the third volley and we started circling. I took him down from 90% health to 10% or so, while I was at less then 10% for half the battle. I die just as the carrier got his torpedo bombers up and in range, as you can see from the battle time and when I died. Awesome battle, great ship. Got three citadel hits in a single volley on a Japanese cruiser, amongst others.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

How seriously does WG ban players for making real life threats?

Because this pubbie raged his way into one:

He continued post match, threatening to "hunt me down."

That needs to go to Gunlion. They aren't putting up with that nonsense.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A lot of old tanks people are popping up in this game. After a chorus of 'gently caress GOONS', a number of people on both teams spent like 5 minutes chatting about MS-W, and ChairInACasket. :rip: Chair.

ChairInABasket was playing Friday night.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 15, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like the American destroyers. You have to play super cautious and abandon a lot of attack runs but man it's rad to use smoke to cover a BB group and then nuke some unsuspecting cruiser.

I can't help but feel like they deserve a heal similar to BBs, though.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
So this just happened. Not a premium account.

:snoop: :signings: :snoop:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I like the American destroyers. You have to play super cautious and abandon a lot of attack runs but man it's rad to use smoke to cover a BB group and then nuke some unsuspecting cruiser.

I can't help but feel like they deserve a heal similar to BBs, though.

True Destroyer Grit -50% damage / ~3000 HP Health Regen over 20-30 seconds.
Alternatively: Need For Speed 3x Speed Boost but -75% maneuvering ability for 10 seconds. 150 knots as your Destroyer gains a massive wake~ heyoo :captainpop:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The biggest thing against Destroyers in my opinion is they really are not that much faster than the majority of other ships.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

The biggest thing against Destroyers in my opinion is they really are not that much faster than the majority of other ships.

It's pretty funny how impotent they get if you just sail away from them.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Dive bombers are scary good against DDs. I can't tell if I was getting hammered by manual aim or if it was auto, but a carrier I was chasing down kept launching squads of DBs to kill me. I weaved, I turned, I twisted around, but there was nothing I could do to shake them.

There were a couple old timey sgle people in the round just now, sorry if you were driving the myogi that I double crit sunk 30 seconds into the round.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BadLlama posted:

I think it'd be cool if DDs had a 30s cool down nitro boost or something, so they can actually dodge shots.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Limit BB gun depression so that a destroyer can just come up alongside a BB and plink at it until they brush up against each other and suddenly explode

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm definitely interested in this, but I still don't have access to play it.

I hope it's fun and maybe less susceptible to being ruined by lovely teammates.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AfroSquirrel posted:

Limit BB gun depression so that a destroyer can just come up alongside a BB and plink at it until they brush up against each other and suddenly explode

Secondaries exist though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

DonkeyHotay posted:

There were a couple old timey sgle people in the round just now, sorry if you were driving the myogi that I double crit sunk 30 seconds into the round.

I am driving a Myogi right now, but I was just on a team with BauBau and some others so I think I was on your team. I didn't explode that round.

Round after I got one of my turrets destroyed and drowned in a sea of torpedo planes, though. The Myogi's complete lack of AAA and the weird spacing of it's turrets makes it kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
TIL don't buy ship upgrades, because you can't sell the ship again without piasters to remove the upgrades :negative:

This means I can never sell four of my ships, and they'll sit around taking up slots until we get some piasters.