Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Loving the Warspite, even with the low range of its main guns. As long as I don't end up on the open ocean map the islands make it easy to close the range and it has some nice tanky armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Thronde posted:

Does the mod have a better UI like some of the tanks mods? I hate how they have the crossbars so inaccurate. It feels like "Hey guys, let's throw some compass and elevation marks onto the sight for effect! SO naval!"

Edit: Also, how do I reliably Warspite? Got it, but haven't mucked with it much. I know I'm supposed to dive into the middle of a brawl and let it's secondaries rip, but it seems any time I try to do that in a BB I get primaried hard.

I usually drive to the islands in the map and hang out around them, something to nullify enemy BB's range advantage while at the same time being able to send damage out.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Grem is still an amazing DD. Came out to about 3200 exp, can't remember how many credits.

/burning a Warspite for almost 30,000hp, love it Atlanta

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 28, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Really impressed with the New York, first game got two detonations from full broadsides into tier4 bbs at 12km~14km. The shotgun happens sometimes, but it doesn't seem like it is enough to make me hate the ship.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
The map HotSpot is beyond broken at anything above tier3. You have the teams split in half and spawn like this, one half of team a is NW, other half is SE. Team b has half their team sw and the other half east / alittle northeast. The match started with my New York, a yubari, and a couple other small cruisers in the south east spot and the enemy was with in range in their spots. Long story short with in 1min of match start I had 4 BBs, 4 cruisers, 2 Sims DDs, and a carrior all after me. Meanwhile the rest of my team is way north west on the other side of a massive island. I held out for awhile and hurt 3 of the battleships, and nuked a cruiser or two, but the constant fires from the cruiser he spam and big hits from BBs wore me down after about 5 mins of fighting.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
It kind of feels like DDs can burn through a BB alittle too fast with guns. Or maybe it was the fact that I got jumped by two sims in a new york.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Aesis posted:

Two Sims firing nonstop and causing fire probably. Sometimes crit hits to secondaries or AA do extra damage.

I ended up in a t8 game in my New York with two t4 BB squad mates on HotSpot. Immediately we came under attack from 2 New yorks, 2 Pensicola, 1 Colorado and 2 sims, We ended up winning and I got 3400 ish exp on a non 1.5 bonus. :getin:
They only lit me on fire three times, but it was all at once, which was nice.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Nothing more frustrating then hitting a max range salvo of 4+ shells (AP) into an enemy bb, only to have it decide you only did 2k dmg. I really seem to do alot better in my New Mexico at mid range, atleast there the shotguns don't ever seem to happen. Even with this gripe though it really is a great BB.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Thanks to my work schedule and such I'm slow working up the US BB line. I've been doing well / liking the New Mexico, but most people seem to say the Colorado is a turd. What's the actual word on this ship as i near 20k from it.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
These games with one side having a Taiho ( t9 cv) and our side having no CV are really starting to become way too commonplace, seems like about half of my higher tiered ships end up in an endless cycle of "oh, welp gg" as 5 tb wings come in at me. I'm kind of starting to regret going the BB route, cruisers seem like they do everything a bb can but way better, or maybe the Colorado just isn't living up to my hopes after the god tier New Mexico.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 16, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
So I'm doing only so so with the Colorado playing it like i did my new mexico, as a sniper. Is there a better way to play this thing? I'm kinda at a loss at how to do as good in it as i did the past 2 BBs.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Will be grinding in ts for awhile today, tier 5-8, 56k to go for North Carolina but keep getting thrown into games with tier9s.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Finally done, sold the Colorado the moment I had enough exp for the NC. So much relief...... :boom:
Any advice going into the NC as to the best way to play it? Is it best to play it like the New Mexico?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Second match in my NC turned into a point blank ( the size of our cap circle) slug fest in our cap with myself, an Izumo, and a cruiser brawling with an Iowa, another NC, two New Mexico, and a sims. Intense would be an understatement for sure and in the end I was the last floating with a ridiculous amount of bounced shots from the Iowa and New Mex. Sadly it doesn't seem like the replay saved, will look into it, and after the bad times i had in the Colorado the NC is making me like BB's again.

Edit* When you enable the replay system, does it just drop them into the main game folder or where?

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 20, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

There should be a folder named "replays".

Ahhh, i must have done it wrong then, I have no replays folder like WOT.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
The real question is, where is the South Dakota class! Was really looking forward to seeing the SoDac in action in this game, but now i feel like it will show up as a premium down the line.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_%281939%29

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Krogort posted:

To be honest Premium ships are not very usefull, I regret purchasing the Atago.
And the Atago doesn't have anything special compared to the regular IJN cruisers.

Premium ships don't make much more money than regular ships and the exp you make is useless unless you pay even more RL money to convert it to free XP.

I average between 300-600k credits a battle in my atago and feel like it is a great premium, you get a tier8 with a good set of guns and an interesting setup of torps that can reach long range targets and can be shot almost forward or backward of the ship. It is my second favorite ship behind the North Carolina :getin:

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 22, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

CitizenKain posted:

Atlantas are goddamn terrifying in a destroyer. Oh look a wall of orange heading towards me, oh look, another, and another and another.

That gets really annoying in a bb when you are dueling an equal bb. Oh hey im hit, on fire, more fire, more fire, fire, put them out, more fire, and some more fire....etc

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Burt posted:

I am seriously sick of playing games today where just one side gets a carrier. I was in an Atago game where the opposition had the only carrier, the tier 8 Japanese one. At one point I am sure I had 3 torp bomber and two dive bomber squadrons all just focusing on me. It didn't end well and the CV driver got 5 times more exp that everyone else.

Welcome to my world in the North Carolina, nothing like kicking a teams rear end, and then suddenly 3 torp squadrons and 3 db squads bearing down on you. The kick was we had a Lexi, and they had 2 shoks and yet our lexi did nothing.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

VendoViper posted:

I just got into the New York, and without the range upgrade it is pure hell. I only have 4 games in it so far, but they have all ended with me being burned to the waterline by endless HE coming from cruisers who out range me and go faster. As soon as I get spotted (by fighters or whatever) its just incessant bombardment I can't respond to.

I ended up brawling alot in the new york / mex. Did fairly well as long as you keep your angle right while reloading

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
I've never been so confused ingame.... yep that is an Iowa and if a Lexi going down middle

Spoiler alert, we lost.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

I ended up trading deaths with the Nagato, and our nagato lost a long range duel with a Cleveland... But our pubbies snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...
Oh well, 144k to Iowa so back to the NC :fap:

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
After seeing some more FOG players today, im actually curious how bad it gets in their little fleet, watching an Izumo get ruined by a New York was entertaining as hell.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
I have found the most fun way to play the Ocean map in a Warspite, that being charge straight into the enemy, a straight line to their corner. Ended up living for awhile, got two kills with my secondary batteries ( an atlanta and a sims), did major damage to two bbs, before being swarmed into death. we were within seconds of winning with cap, but the Colorado decided to chase a cv that was halfway across the map and draw it out on time, seriously i need a button that knocks people back down to tier 1.
So many draws :suicide: , seriously is there a way to disable standard battle?

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 29, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

OK, found the stream. Go to 28 minutes in to watch him utterly fail to kill me. Jesus I thought I was angled a lot better than that.

How does he manage to be so bad in a New Mex? Also tier 8 grind fest time sometime soon?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Artificer posted:

The anime was pretty meh but I enjoyed the manga at least.

Pretty much this.
Also, just when i think i've seen it all, pubs surprise me, i was lit on fire by a friendly by 3 times while he was trying to kill the low hp bb dueling me.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 30, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

yaay posted:

ehh are you sure you weren't lit by his secondaries

He was in a pheonix /spelling, and i believe outside the range of secondaries

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Trying to finish the South Carolina has completely obliterated my will to play this game. I hate it so much. It's a downgrade in almost every way from every other ship I've played. I'd rather play the Chester.

The next two are pretty nice though.
On a side note, i think 7 losses and 1 win in a row is a good time to say screw it for tonight. Stopping 110k short of Iowa.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 30, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
I'm trying my best not to rage out, but match after match being focused by tier 9 and 8 cvs, while people constantly spout "you cant dodge, get gud, etc" after i take two hits per torp runs is really driving me up the wall. I think this game has given me an anger problem... advice? /rage :suicide:
Edit- In a North Carolina btw, and i kill alot of planes, but there is always more at that tier, i wonder how long before i get chat banned.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 31, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

Next time we go out I'll bring premium AA ability I guess.

I kept going after you had to leave and it was just shitshow after shitshow, taiho after taiho making me an exp pinata. Even when we had a lexi, and i begged almost for fighter cover, they never do.
One match i had something along the lines of 49-50something planes kills, and still died about 5min in.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Night10194 posted:

The entire reason I play DDs is to slip past and dickstab skycancer. Well, and BBs. And because it's like playing a stealth game. But seriously, the number of times I've gotten multiple Langelys or Hoshos in a DD is great and hopefully it discourages them playing CVs.

I've taken to loving the Hotspot map, sniping carriers at the start of match is wonderful.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Had a great Murmansk game, thought i'd share. I drove at the enemy with no brakes the entire game, also a cool shot in the sims. If i could make replays work i would share it.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Starting strong today, I always seem to do better when i just charge in guns blazing rather then trying to do well...

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 31, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Pretty much this, with the exception of the Colorado, the US bbs have been a joy to play and it has always been a source of joy to push into jap bbs, as they bounce off the front of my ship.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Am I the only one who wants for standard battle to be optional from the game? I draw like 60% of the time from a cv hiding in corner somewhere. Just had a 1815 exp game on a draw because the cv bombed someone on cap with 30sec left.

edited because i'm bad and have bad memory.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 31, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Welp, I only completely hate myself and the game after the grind, but here we are.... :911:
But hey, first game in it stock and I ran a train on another Iowa, a NC, and most of the enemy team for a win.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

TehKeen posted:

That's a pretty boat. :allears:

Fights like a champ stock, can't wait to upgrade :fap:
Had a great triple kill, each turret killed something.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Krogort posted:

And it has pretty good AA even on stock hull.
Upgrade the engines asap for ludicrous speed.

The fact that this ship come just after the Colorado make it feel extra awesome.
And the Iowa seems to be even better at everything, what's not to like.

It is an Iowa :cheers:

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

I'm still 26k from the Ibuki. More importantly, I'm 4mil from being able to afford fully upgrading it.

Nice, my bad on not coming back last night, forgot i promised to play/ teach some a3 stuff to a couple friends + a goon. I'm on awhile today for sure.
I'm a horrible person and bought the warchest, figuring that it would be the last amount of money spent on this game ever.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

grrarg posted:

You can, like others have said, but you need to be relatively close and have either really good aim or luck. An important thing to remember is that, unlike most cruisers, the Cleveland does not have one big citadel. It has two smaller ones that are not directly under the funnels as might be expected.

Forgive my crappy paint skills and the image quality. It is surprisingly hard to find a good diagram of the Cleveland. Most are from model ships. I think this one was from a ship recognition manual. The size and placement of my black boxes is off, but they are in the general area of the parts that count as the citadel.

Edit: This video is a good general guide to citadels. He has a better blueprint of the Cleveland and then shows hitting its citadels in a test battle in-game. Also shows why the St. Louis is so hard to citadel with equal tier ships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgLsvV-Dfv4

Oh snap, I was in the start of that video! /efame here i come :dance: It was always funny when grinding the New Mexico against cocky Cleve players right up until their ship vaporized to mid- long range cits. /edit, now that i think about it Atagos as well.

Actually sad to say my vacation time is over so back to slow working up the trees with only an hour or two to play! Trying to decide on what I wanted to do next while finishing to the Montana.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 4, 2015