Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Is it just me or is the xp reward small on loss? I've been doing 100+ hits and several fire with Cleveland but even with premium I never get 900 xp. Compared to Omaha that I was doing easy 2,000 xp with, I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

The exp reward is halved if your team loses.
:stare: Did not know this.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well I bought beta access because I was bored, but Sims is just terrible. I just stopped using it after 5 games because it has poo poo torp range and reload is way too long. I'm now using Cleveland and I'm enjoying it lot more than Sims tbh.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Bah lost a definite win game. It was 5v2, I had to fend off Izumo and New Orleans on my own in Cleveland while rest of the team ran away (didn't even cap despite being 5 cap Domination). Only when I took Izumo to low hp they started slow boating back 40 km for kill, but good luck with that with 2 Battleships. By the time they were within 20 km I took down Izumo on my own but died to New Orleans. New Orleans capped the zone I was defending, and by then the point advantage was 100+ so he easily won 4v1.

The Locator posted:

The Sims torpedoes are there for making people run, blowing up people that get way too close in a knife fight, etc. The primary weapons on the Sims are speed, maneuverability, the ability to lay down smoke, and 5" guns that pop out shells accurately at a ridiculous rate of fire. It flat out murders Japanese DD's (if you don't let them torpedo you), and deals a pretty fantastic amount of damage to almost anything if you don't get blown up (which is where your small size and maneuverability come in).
Well I was doing alright against Japanese DD (easily killed it as long as I dodged torpedoes), but I gave up trying to get closer to that 5 km range because it's just easier for enemy to kill me due to shorter flight time. Kinda boring since there's nothing much I can do aside from hoping that enemy is too engaged with my team to notice me.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I just got myself a Pensacola and holy poo poo it sucks. Turret rotation is killing me :negative: Does it get any better with upgrades and modules?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I switched back to Cleveland for faster RoF and turret rotation. 48,000 xp left to New Orleans! :negative: But man late night games suck, I get dragged to matches against Iowa and whatnot, and it's just nightmare. One game I had 2 opponents in Iowa (there were Tier 8~9 in my team but all dead), and they were going around together ripping even Destroyers getting close for torpedo runs. At least we denied them win :unsmith:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

jownzy posted:

I have not played world of tanks, so this may be a dumb question, how are you able to level for the New Orleans in your Cleveland?
Pretty much this. Or I might just free xp the turret and use Pensacola instead. The main reason I prefer Cleveland is I can shoot faster than Pensacola though.

e: Upgraded turret, it's pretty decent now. RoF sucks but at least projectile speed is fast enough. Except I can't get decent xp per game :negative:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
IJN cruisers seem more agile than US cruisers. If I engage them at 12+ km they seem to be able to dodge almost all of my shots without a sweat.

Also what 2nd modules should I use for Pensacola? I'm using turret speed module but was wondering if 1.5 seconds more reload time matters (default 15 seconds reload).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

JuffoWup posted:

You have two decent choices. Up the accuracy which is never a bad idea. Or you can go with improving your aa range. Which is comedy because you'll burn off those torpedo planes before they can get into a decent range to bomb you close. Especially if combined with the barrage skill. The choice is yours.
How good is accuracy buff anyway? It doesn't give any stats so I have no bloody idea how much it decreases max turret dispersion by.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

jownzy posted:

The amount of people that put "captain" in their name, and spell it wrong, is astounding.
You can pick name? Mine's got carried over from WoT, not that it matters.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Michaellaneous posted:

As a tip for everyone: Don't use free XP to skip a boat. Use it to get all the best upgrades for it.
Or use elite/premium ships and convert with gold to get more free xp!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I bought Atlanta, it is just so hilarious with 7 turrets firing 2 shells each every 5 seconds or so. Pretty much 'If I fire constantly at citadel it's bound to explode!'.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

grrarg posted:

I have been tempted to shell out for an Atlanta several times after seeing people die in them after whiffing several full salvos in a row. With that rate of fire on so many turrets, how can people not learn to aim? Hold the left mouse button down and move the reticle around until every shot hits.
It's also great for spraying at DD sitting at 8~10 km. At least one shell's bound to hit and critically damage :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Pubbies are terrible so I can't win a single loving game (my win rate went down from 80% to 40% once I hit Tier 6), but there are moments of fun.

I just managed to destroy full hp Nagato on my own with Atlanta in 1v5 (I was all alone, 5 enemy closing on me within 15 km with no terrain cover) :smug: It wasn't citadel explosion, I just outright charged at that fucker because I knew I'd die anyway, spammed/dodged as best as I could, shot torp once at spread (his engine or steer stopped), got closer to about 0.5 km and shot another torp from other side for full hit and kill.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

For anybody who loves the Atlanta or the Cleveland, what is your average damage in those things?
Both easily above 30k if I can get close. Except it's not easy with Atlanta when pubbies all stay so far and still manage to die :iiam:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

MREBoy posted:

ok so where are you folks going to pull up these per ship damage stats ? Something in-client or a 3rd party website ?
When your game ends and shows Victory/Defeat/Draw, there are tabs around middle of your screen. Click on those.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Stock US Battleships get out ranged by Cruisers (apart from Atlanta) until you hit Colorado (Tier 7). Meanwhile Japanese Battleships enjoy long range from lower tiers.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Playing New York is giving me cancer. It's so loving frustrating how the shells spread everywhere despite shooting at enemy 3 km off. It either flies into the sky or kicks water ffs :argh:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I don't mind missing shots at 10+ km but I loving expect at least half to hit within 3 km. It's just infuriating how the shots just miss Destroyers or Cruisers and they just circle you around for kill because secondaries are useless as well. And yes I had to play at close range because all my team mates were either useless and ran or died.

e: Just got New Mexico, accuracy seems to be only slightly better. Still can't shoot past 5 km without expecting shells to spread so much.
e2: Also what ammo do I use? I've been using AP but the damage has been pretty much 1,050 apart from 1 or 2 lucky RNG to citadel. And yes I've been shooting at citadel, so it's a matter of hitting first instead of spreading everywhere. I just can't use New Mexico because it has poo poo accuracy, poo poo penetration and poo poo damage. Last game for example, 28 hits 18 penetrations and only 24,718 damage :psyduck: It took me 10 hits to sink a New Orleans with 5,000 hp.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 6, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Double clicked by accident, 1 AP shell managed to hit a friendly Cleveland 17 km off. Crit hit to turret for 11,500 damage :stare:

It was 1 cap domination, half our teams including me sat at cap and fended off enemy at ~10 km range. Even then I was missing quite a bit due to dispersion loving me up. That and shells doing 1,050 damage pretty much all the time even when citadel was poo poo. Now I got Colorado and just hope it's better :ohdear:

e: Wow it's horrible as well, probably worse :cripes:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Probably likely since WoT has tank type restriction (ie. can't put crew from TD into Medium). Since Wargaming did add premium Destroyer/Battleship/Cruiser I'd say it's likely there will be restriction.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the Murmansk does get 8km torps to the Omaha's 5km, plus the Murmansk turns better.
Longer torp range than Sims/Atlanta too :v:

Oh and I have no idea how I'm getting 1,440 average xp with only 31,000 average damage with Colorado. Oh well, I just need to endure until I get North Carolina :smith:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

demonR6 posted:

The USN BB's at least up through the New Mexico have been miserable. They're slow, I think the max on the NY was 20.1 kts and the NM isn't much of an improvement. The range is still not enough to deal with the higher tier ships whose guns out range you. The IJN ships feel better so far, even the USN cruisers seem better at the same tier or is it that the Cleveland being a non-restricted ship for that era was just better?
21 Knots but you rarely reach that speed with constant turning and stopping. And yes the range is a big issue, even with upgrade and module max range is 17 km on NM and 19 km on Colorado. Not only that but the spread is quite insane. It's just painful to use and infuriating that Cruisers shooting you from 15 km can deal 3~4k damage every shot due to accuracy + set on fire while you just have to hope that one of your shells will at least hit. Then it's just watching minimum damage pop up (if it pens) because it's so hard to hit citadel with that much spread anyway. I pretty much gave up maintaining range and just close in for brawl, but it's not possible unless I'm sitting on cap with DD. Even then hitting citadel at 5 km is slightly hard due to turret rotation and spread.

I can say US BB is a joke up to Colorado. I'd just use US Cruisers tbh.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You know what's bull poo poo? Fuso shooting at Colorado, not even hitting citadel and still doing 10k+ damage somehow while I'm having insane difficulty thanks to gently caress rear end spread, manage to hit citadel and somehow only do 1,240 damage or bounce. I swear HE is the way to go for Colorado thanks to inconsistency with AP shells.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

The nagging problem I keep seeing is people are driving battleships. Battleships are poop hth.
Cruiser > everything :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Would have been better if the author added range value when using range module (I believe it's Battleship only).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

True, but the current rub is to use the accuracy module instead of Range, because shooting beyond 15km is a crapshoot a lot of times, and the accuracy module makes US BB guns almost as accurate as cruisers, cuts down on the stupid shotgun spread a lot.
There's no accuracy module for US BB (at least up to Colorado anyway). US Cruisers get it though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Anyone know when the reset will happen?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Really think they should nerf Japanese torp accuracy, range or damage. Traveling 15 + km in a straight line doing 15k damage per hit is just bullshit. Oh and HE's just better on North Carolina. I tried both, but with AP being loving unreliable it's just better to spam HE.

e: Oh and dumping torp right loving above.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

So you think that Japanese destroyers are somehow too good? :psyduck:

Try not to go in a straight line at the same speed all the time. You'll find that suddenly those "op" destroyers are much more manageable.
I said torps not DD. I don't even get how you translate torps into DD but w/e. And even when it can be evaded, it's a great area/range denial weapon that also limits how and where you move, unlike US torps. I'm more concerned about torp making GBS threads at less than 1 km though.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Because destroyers launch torpedoes. I didn't think that was a huge leap in logic, but oh well. It was also the most charitable interpretation because if you're getting torpedoed by Japanese cruisers that you can spot at 10-15km then that's even more your own fault. And loving :lol: if you're complaining about aerial torpedoes going 15km.
Clearly you can't read. I was talking about Japanese torps going 15+ km hitting 15k+ damage per hit AND aerial torp bombers dropping torps right above you (as separate stuff), not aerial torps going 15 km. And it doesn't take 'logic' to interpret that Japanese Cruisers also launch torps. And I didn't even mention getting hit but I did write that even when you evade them it can be a great area denial weapon unlike its US counterpart.

But then I wouldn't expect someone like you to be able to comprehend what other people write because you're too tunnel visioned so you just look at couple of words then are too busy typing bull poo poo :shrug: Keep interpreting other people's words to your taste, it just makes you look dumb gently caress.

Michaellaneous posted:

Got into the Colorado. Shooting AP at Fuso. Barely doing 1k damage per hit.
Extremely salty.
I was 1v1ing against Iowa with NC at 3 km range. We were both shooting citadels with AP and doing around 1,300 damage per hit. Game ended before neither of us could manage a kill :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Prav posted:

Accusing others of being tunnel-visioned when you're the one eating torps is p. amusing.
Nowhere did I write I was eating torps (apart from aerial ones right above). But then it seems you guys just like to think 'oh he's talking about torps, he must be eating torps that were launched from 10+ km so much'. I'd like to see you dodging all the torps that are being dropped right above you, in a battleship.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
After being away for a while I started grinding US carrier couple of days ago. Currently using Langley with only 2 torp bomber squads :smith: Torp bombing is very easy and effective even with auto bombing tbh. It's just that planes are slow :argh:

JCFalkenberg posted:

I prefer US cruisers because I'm poo poo at aiming torps, but both lines seem pretty useful. That said, the US line has the St. Louis and the Cleveland which I'm re-grinding and never selling once OBT hits.
I feel Cleveland has more use than Atlanta, but then Atlanta is pretty good at close range brawl and can poo poo on DDs. That being said, it's not easy getting into range with Atlanta :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

High-tier cruisers wreck face as long as you learn early (tier 5 Japanese or tier 6 usn) that much like battleships, you need to be preparing your turrets to face where you want to shoot--at least a minute before you reach the location where you plan to actually start shooting. Once you get the hang of that, you'll find that 8-inch gun cruisers out-DPM battleships at almost every equivalent tier.

BBs are bad at actually fighting more than one target at a time because of reload speeds, slow turret traverse, the way targeting typically works in this game (unless you are some kind of ridiculous prodigy who can shoot accurately with turrets in different fixed vectors), and how badly pubs tunnelvision.

Meanwhile, you can take Japanese cruisers and lay down a wall of torpedoes ahead of time, hose down a boat rounding a corner, and watch a torpedo slam into your next target that you can finish off with your next salvo only a dozen seconds later. They've never been a bad ship class at all.
That, and those 8 inch guns can penetrate BB's citadel too. As for aim just check how long it takes for max speed cruiser parallel to you to reach your initial aim (don't shoot to check), then using that as reference adjust depending on relative vector, distance and target size/speed. Then it's just a matter of your shells not spreading like shotgun :v:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most BB's don't seem to want to fight. They head for the corners and hope they don't get spotted. I've suggested that playing a destroyer would help them escape the battle faster but that didn't go down well for some reason.
It's probably because they don't want to get hit by BB/Cruiser (easier to dodge when at max range due to shell drop), or get wrecked by sneaky DDs laying smoke as they approach since you can't spot them even when at 1~3 km. tbh charging in with BB is either hit or miss, you either get surrounded by cruisers or DDs, you get everyone trying to run from you that it just becomes turkey shoot, or you get smaller ships running away while BBs turning broadside to shoot you (begging to get crit hit to citadel) while your bow is pointed at them.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 17, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

I've only ever seen tier 10 battleships once when I was driving my New Mexico Fuso, but sure, let's make carriers unplayable because you're a terrible battleship driver at tier 10.

Meantime carriers are utterly worthless at tiers 4-7, and take 5-6 triple torpedo bomber strikes to sink a single battleship, and it's even worse trying to do it with American carriers and their dive bombers.
I've seen single Hakuryu (Tier 10 IJN carrier) wrecking my entire team because my team didn't have any carriers to begin with so all he did was send 3~5 torp bomber squads at one target and manual drop right beside each time. AA couldn't do poo poo because there were simply too many planes (think he used dive bomber as fodder as well), and nobody could dodge that poo poo because there was simply no time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close. Basically torps would appear, then you'd get hit after 1 second. People knew torps were coming even before they were released but there were nothing they could do.

Multiple torp squads are near-impossible to deal with unless you got multiple cruisers clustered up, but tbh adding minimum approach/arming range would have worked fine. Basically give the target some time to maneuver to minimize damage instead of helplessly watch torps coming at them.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

grrarg posted:

I am no fan of carriers, but this is like officialforums.txt from bad players. "No time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close" means the player was not paying attention during the bombers' approach. Point the ship's bow at the planes as soon as you see them. Most carriers will pick another target or be forced to do a crisscross attack where at least half of the torps will miss.
Good luck turning bow to multiple (minimum 3) bombers approaching from multiple directions :psyduck: I don't know why you think people are too dumb to turn their bows into torp bombers in advance, let alone assume torp squads will be stacked up tbh.

Also turning bow to torp bombers mean you're just making them approach you faster, which means less time to shoot down planes and less time for them to get into release position. And since there was no time to react once torpedoes were released manually so close to you, even criss cross attacks had no difficulty hitting almost all torps. And even when assuming at least half missed from 3 squads that's still minimum 6 torpedoes to account for (assuming your team managed to shoot down 1 squad fast, which is far too optimistic tbh), which will still wreck almost everything apart from maybe Tier 10 BB that got lucky.

NTRabbit posted:

If it takes more than the 2 cruisers and 1 battleship of a single division to break up an air strike with few, if any, hits, then you possibly need to revisit your tactics. A maxed New York has enough AA on its own to cause suppression and scatter the torpedo launches from a Hosho.
Had maxed NY/NM/CO and have maxed NC, in all cases AA was next to useless against multiple squads. Worked somewhat ok against single squad though :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 17, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Only bad luck I had was facing that Hakuryu player three times in a row with NC :psyduck:

But yeah if they're on manual run then they'll have to adjust unless they expected you to turn towards the bombers which seems to be very rare case. tbh I turn away when using cruiser/DD because I can turn fast and want to have more chance with AA, and it works as long as they're not criss crossing. But with BB I try to turn into them or keep at acute angle so I can run into torps or go through the gap.

Also I thought you could designate auto drop from different directions. At least that looked like the case with dive bombers.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
They changed the description.

quote:

With this closed beta access code, you receive an exclusive invitation to play World of Warships, as well as a Tier V Russian Cruiser Murmansk with a single port slot, 7 days of Premium game time, and 1,000 Tokens. (Note: All progress made during the World of Warships Closed Beta Test will be wiped at the start of Open Beta -- date to be determined).
e: Original description was Murmansk + 5 slots + 7 days prem + 1k Tokens, so only port slot changed.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rampaging about in Pensacola wrecking havoc, then getting shotgunned by BBs at 10 km and watching my ship lose 13k hp from 1 shell that somehow managed to land on steer, because apparently it went through to citadel for crit hit. Happened with 5 other shells over the span of 3 games :argh:

One question is, does gun caliber make a big difference on crit chance when you penetrate citadel? I was shooting Colorado at 5~10 km range hitting its citadels, but apart from default penetration damage I wasn't getting a single crit. I basically pumped about 50 shells into its citadel (they penetrated) and got absolutely no crit. Was doing around 5k damage per salvo though. I was with Cleveland and he managed to do similar damage with HE per salvo so I'm wondering if I should just give up shooting AP against BB.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

You are literally not penetrating hard enough. :dong: The vitals are behind more walls than just the one on the surface that gives you the penetration notice.
Oh yeah I totally forgot about that :cripes:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Wait what? Did they just nerf Tier 8~10 US BBs' AA?!

Also good thing Pyromaniac is 'fixed'. poo poo was hilarious setting nonstop fire with Atlanta.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Flippycunt posted:

So is Tier 3 cruisers and BB just the infinite pain zone, or what?

Seems like 100% of the time I'm matched with Tier 5 players who outgun and outrange me. Also having no AA to speak of.
It's just like that for all tiers tbh. Even with Tier 4~8 you get matched up to 2 tiers above you, then you suddenly find yourself reduced to shooting HE for puny damage as AP shells won't penetrate, and getting overrun by lots of planes. If you're grinding US battleships and cruisers then you'll just have to endure until you buy North Carolina or Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Got some weird server lag today and spotted planes 2 km off right as 5 torp squads dropped torps to the side. Couldn't turn in time so got hit by 3 in the end and was dead :argh: I guess Humble Bundle is to blame. (player count hit 4k+ :stare:)

Anyways I finally got New Orleans and it just feels the same as Pensacola. Maybe less likely to get citadel damage from 1 shell that manage to land through shotgunning, but I just don't feel any difference. I thought its AP shell would be better but that wasn't really the case as I only got like 1~3% of penetrated shells (Tier 7~8 cruiser/BB) actually damaging citadel even when fired within 10 km. Did wreck Tier 6 cruisers easily so I guess it just doesn't penetrate enough against higher tier. I calculated and average damage with AP and HE were roughly the same so I guess it's sometimes better to shoot HE to cause fire and force usage of Damage Control.

If you wish turrets would actually spin (instead of crawl) towards where you aim, start playing US destroyers instead.
US DDs are alright, except I wish it did bit more damage with torps since the range sucks. Watching enemy survive from all 4 torps is sad.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2015