Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

And people wonder why the aimbot was so popular.

I didn't. I know most of you are scum that'd cheat at a moments notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

I tried suggesting to another goon driving battleships that he learn to turn into torpedoes, and plan his attacks beforehand, don't hide in a bunch of rocky islands where a DD can roll up and murder his poo poo, and he said I was full of poo poo.

The brown sea does not only exist among pubbies it seems.

Most BB's don't seem to want to fight. They head for the corners and hope they don't get spotted. I've suggested that playing a destroyer would help them escape the battle faster but that didn't go down well for some reason.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stevefin posted:

Its kinda best to regard almost every CV players right now as knowing how to manual drop like a boss. Those are the guys that would after all know CV's has the hardest time tier difference wise and are trying to get ahead before anyone else

Do you mean those guys who can seemingly drop torpedoes about 20 feet away? Because I have no idea how i'm supposed to handle those guys. It's like if they want someone dead they're gonna die and you just have to hope it's not you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Bismark's guns were 15inch and penetration depends on more than purely diameter anyway. The ship had excellent gunnery accuracy and while its belt was not actually thicker than most other battleships it had more coverage and an excellent layout that meant most shells that managed to penetrate the belt would hit a slopped secondary plate and be denied entry to the citadel. It was not the amazing ship the fan boys think it is (Of course it didn't sink from battleship fire, but the entire ship was a wreck and nothing worked anymore, it was done and its armor couldn't save it) but it's certainly worth being a tier 8.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is picking out the citadel something that gets easier as you get used to the game? I'm having a hard time spotting the guns on long-range targets, let alone hitting beneath them on a moving target.

Once that segment of a ship is on fire, can I do any more damage to that part of the citadel, or should I shift aim? I'm doing decently, I just need to get used to sitting still once I'm in a good position. I always want to keep moving to juke more shots, but sometimes I'm better off just keeping still and slugging it out while I've got cover from most of the enemies in the area.

I love this post.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

New Mexico or Colorado, though some don't like the Colorado. It's basically when the ships switch from the gammy 2 fore, 3 or 4 rear twin gun turrets that can't shoot over each other to the standard and easier to use 2/2 or 2/1 superfiring triple turrets.

They need max range mods though.

The problem with the early ships isn't the gun placement, it's the accuracy. You can predict a perfect 15 second flight time barrage but oh, your shots went both sides of the target. Sucks to be you, try again in 30 seconds.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't understand how some of you are having hard times with your BBs. Yes they are slow, but the payoff is huge when you one shot broadside someone for >58k damage. Each ship has it's own unique firing pattern, learn how to play into it and you'll do good. Don't auto dump your entire load either. Fire off one gun to see what your lead time should be, and then bukkake them ;)

RNG spread accuracy has nothing to do with skill. Some battleships have terrible shotgun effects when you fire. This isn't anything to do with dying or failing or being bad. For me it simply becomes unfun. I can win in my BB and still have had a poor time because every time I shotgun around a perfectly led target and have to wait 25-30 seconds I know in a cruiser I could be ripping people apart and then sailing away at 35 knots. The 58k every shell hits a citadel barrages are exceptions and generally anything a BB can do a cruiser can do better but just has to get closer.

People can crow all they want about skill and "get good" but it isn't down to ability. The mechanics themselves are just boring and slow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
They removed the armor UI because it's probably all lies anyway. That way when someones 152mm shells go right through your angled 350mm belt you have to goto Wikipedia to see how much bullshit it was and you might get bored in the meanwhile and forget to send a badly formatted email.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zettace posted:

You're basically WoT arty. Use your gun's really long range to fire at ships that can't fire back at you. This means you're going to have to lead your shots a ton.

If you're a coward and unsupported yeah. Otherwise get stuck in with everyone else. gently caress you and gently caress this games battleship meta.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Would removing the fire mechanic help? It seems like HE does enough damage anyway because a 152mm shell can cause spalling damage to a 350mm belt. I think it might be the fire on top of HE's ability to seemingly damage everything that pushes it over the top. Maybe make it incredibly rare or have it be caused only by specific parts of the ship being hit, with precise hitboxes. Make the cruisers earn their fire damage.

Or maybe it's fine.

What isn't fine is the MM not taking the power of carriers seriously and thinking it's ok to give one side no carrier while the other side has a tier 7. It feels like the game is only balanced for clan play where people will actually get in a formation where AA works well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

The hilarious part is he could have lived if he hit repair instead of going "J'ACCUSE" or whatever in chat.

Uh he was left with like 10% health and would have removed some of the evidence against the tk'er. If WG actually look into it they can see the TK. I'd of let myself sink too. Report the idiot and then jump into another ship. Repairing would have been the worst thing to do.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

This is definitely NOT the way to play BBs.

Take shots at range, but you should always be looking for a good brawl to stick all your guns into another ships butt.

Yeah the constant attempts to make battleship meta about hiding in the corners at max range has made for some really boring matches. Kinda wish I was on Russian servers where they all constantly charge at each other.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

It's amazing how many carrier players still don't understand the importance of not sitting at spawn.

Or the fact that a carrier with no planes can still cap points, be a distraction, or otherwise contribute to a team effort.

Carriers will always attract really bad players. As will all classes that have a high potential but need a high skill to unlock that potential. See snipers in FPS's. And just like snipers there's a darker side to the popularity. The idea that you can somehow sit behind the battle and dominate like you're some kind of puppetmaster fucko that's worked out a loophole in this competitive game poo poo.

And then reality hits them and they keep getting sunk within the first minute of a battle.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Getting rid of the ability to drop torps 5 feet from your ship would help.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I was in a game in my Kongo where the enemy had a Tirpitz and our pubbies freaked the gently caress out and refused to engage it in terror. I eventually went at it and knocked half its HP off by angling properly, but it had some Clevelands for backup and our own Clevelands refused to engage because they were afraid the enemy boat was invincible.

The Wehraboo cuts both ways, I guess.

I'm convinced this behavior is some kind of schizoid disorder where they think they might really die if they lose their ship. The cowardice I've seen displayed in a GAME is beyond belief.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

psy.Che posted:

Tier VIII is completely unplayable in Europe right now. Everybody is in their Tirpitz and way too afraid of losing their ship to actually move forward. This is my general issue with the Mogami - I can't bear to wait 10 minutes every match until my BBs have managed to get in range, so I die solo in front of the rest. Should just afk for 5 minutes at the start.

As an EU player I can confirm that cowardice is the EU meta. Like all ramming each other in the middle of the map is the Russian meta and having really easy fish in a barrel style games is the US meta.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the game stood up very well during beta. Everything seemed to catch fire all the time and there was very little reason, other than pride, to playing anything other than a cruiser. Battleship armor seems to count for very little and it is only their inflated hitpool that makes them stand out. There is more nuance to the game than it seems but I think it's most left before they could find it.

I don't really understand why they won't allow battleships to dominate smaller ships while it's perfectly fine for a KV-1 to piss on everyone in one of those games where you're the only heavy tank and no one on the enemy team has a gun larger than 45mm. If battleships were actually immune from small caliber fire then cruisers would actually have to do their intended job and defend against destroyers, aircraft and other cruisers. People would soon learn that if they see a battleship it's time to get out of there and call in your own teams battleships. Much like there are tanks you know you can't handle in WoT, so you go a different way or communicate with team mates. If WoT was like WoW then your T-34 would load its 76mm shitgun with HE and set that kingtiger (assume the MM is having a bad day) hiding in a bush on fire a couple of times while driving around it in circles laughing. Also the Kingtigers gun would take 5 minutes to reload and is so inaccurate it can fire behind itself.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

It's more that the rest of the ships on the team don't like getting close to the enemy, I follow the blob but the blob likes to run away from contact and snipe.

Which is understandable I suppose given how dangerous torpedoes are but it's not very much fun.

A problem with being on EU servers I find. Same for WoT. Russia: No tactics just charge, US: Massive divide between retards and nonretards making everything a turkeyshoot, EU: Everyone is a massive unbelievable coward who plays like they'll die in real life if they explode.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus posted:

Nobody in Europe uses it how you mean it, stop making a big deal about it.

*looks at big red title*

Hmmm

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OSad posted:

I was filtering by WTR just out of curiosity after seeing that guy's stats and it's surprising to me that there's players like this in the game:

https://na.warships.today/player/1014999917/akogare

Usually when I look at the high winrate guys, you can see that they tend to specialize in a role and tier range. This guy plays DD's, CA's and BB's and he's really bloody good in all of them. And not in a particularly small tier range or number of battles on each individual boat either, you can see that he plays anything from tier 5 to 8 a lot and has a respectable number of tier 9 and 10 matches as well.

Look at the average damage numbers... how do you get to the point where you're doing more than double of almost every ship's HP you play on average? Not on a game or two, it's never a rarity, it's the average. Not to mention that he does not have a single boat below 50% winrate that isn't the Umikaze at tier 2, which he's played one whole game in.

How do you even attain such levels of boat demigoddery? Wallhacks? Insider friend at WG? Adrenaline Rage? Nothing but division play? Alcohol? All previous options?

I would like to see this man play, if he's even still a man at this point. It would make me a believer to the idea that it doesn't matter if your team potatoes a flank and you can actually pull solo warrior wins quite easily out of the hat.

It's interesting because it's not like innate things like reflexes and twitch ability matter in a game like this. So what is the secret? Positioning? Knowing when to get out/in a fight? Precise knowledge of ship strength/weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The Lion class certainly wouldn't have been a behemoth like the Yamato but I'd hardly call it a battle cruiser.