Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Noticed anything if the auto-tracking switched to another target? Sometimes it does that without you noticing and then it 'helpfully corrects' the aiming and it completely throws off your aim. Another thing is just plain dispersion, sometimes it just sends your whole salvo into the sea but if it shows up more often then I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JacksLibido posted:

You're pushing too far forward. When solo queueing you need to give it a good 30 seconds or so at the start of the match to see where the rest of the battleships are going. Follow the blob and make sure you're not the closest Battleship when the fighting starts, pubbies almost always shoot at the closest thing they see first and they stick with it for most of the fight. So long as that's someone else you'll be able to push up and get in close. Get used to zooming out between shots to make sure you're not getting flanked for easy broadside shots, and more importantly, to make sure your shithead teammates aren't running away leaving you hanging.

As far as dispersion goes... that's just how it is with Battleships. Each round has the potential to do massive damage so the large dispersion is there to keep you from deleting ships with ease. Goons seem to love the early German BBs, I loving despise them. They have great armor, but their guns are anemic and really bad at actually hitting anything. For me the best battleships by tier are South Carolina/Wyoming/Kongo/Bayern (NM is a close second)/Colorado. At tier 8 the meta shifts to long range snipers with the NC and Amagi, and it's not something I enjoy or play much so I can't give a good opinion on later ships.

It's more that the rest of the ships on the team don't like getting close to the enemy, I follow the blob but the blob likes to run away from contact and snipe.

Which is understandable I suppose given how dangerous torpedoes are but it's not very much fun.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Iveliosiudicium posted:

All this talk about salvos, my division buddy and I noticed something since the last patch when it comes to accuracy. Say you aim just a little above the waterline, right for the citadel. In most cases, you'll nail that fucker. But as of late we've noticed our rounds coming up short, about 1km short despite our lead and range being correctly displayed at what we're targetting. I've been having to aim right at the side rails to get the desired hits. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I've been seeing this too. Now I'm trying to remember the circumstances and failing, but it was striking enough I noted it happening three times yesterday.

It's made me realize I have no idea how the game actually determines the aim point for the various turrets. So say I'm angling toward an enemy ship in a Bayern, enough to hit with all four turrets. The enemy ship is broadside on and unmoving. Do I actually need to adjust my aim point between the A/B and X/Y turrets or does the game do that automatically in some fashion? I've been trying to tilt my aim assuming it just points from the center of my ship, but I don't actually know if that's the case. Over a thousand battles and I don't know how fundamental gameplay mechanics work...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa there's another anime ship event! :swoon:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

Whoa there's another anime ship event! :swoon:

Less of a waste of time than tier 8 ranked

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Prepping for the line split, and grinding damage for the anime botes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NTRabbit posted:

Less of a waste of time than tier 8 ranked

Is there even any benefit to doing ranked? The anime boats are a passive goal you get just by playing. The t6 ranked games I've played in so far are boring 7v7 matches.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there even any benefit to doing ranked? The anime boats are a passive goal you get just by playing. The t6 ranked games I've played in so far are boring 7v7 matches.

The rewards you gain as you go up the line are fairly nice, up to and including 1,000 doubloons at Rank 2 and an additional 2,500 at Rank 1. But the task of doing so does tend to be quite mentally draining.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

If you get to rank 1 twice across any seasons, you get a Flint premium, which is an Atlanta that loses the wings guns to get 40mm bofors over 1.1" quads and a smoke generator. And I think longer range torpedoes? Also yes, you get 3500 doubloons, 5 mill credits, and stacks of flags along the way.

Tier 6 ranked was fine, what little of it I got to play. Tier 8 ranked so far you might as well not bother unless you have a Benson, otherwise you'll be taking a few hundred battles to get from 15 to 1.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

After fully researching the Minekaze I rebought the Isokaze to prep for the new IJN DD branch.

...except I forgot how much fun seal-clubbing is. T4-T5 games are a magical wonderland of straight-line sailing.

Rebuying the Isokaze was a wonderful and magical decision for me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I finally got around to making my way through the russian tree, and I wonder: Is there any point to buying the Bogatyr's gun "upgrade" to 130mm guns? From what I can tell it's the same number of guns, with the same rate of fire, the same range, the same traversal time, but less damage. And still the game insists it's supposedly better.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

Tier 6 ranked was fine, what little of it I got to play. Tier 8 ranked so far you might as well not bother unless you have a Benson, otherwise you'll be taking a few hundred battles to get from 15 to 1.

I hate to toe the party line of disagreeing with everything NTR says, buy my experience is the opposite. Yes, tier 8 ranked is heavy on Benson and Fubuki, but it's also a smaller, faster tier 8 maximum battle. I'm not sure there's a better way to make money in the game than bringing an Atago or Tirpitz into ranked. It might just be that the Atago is overpowered with a stealth build, but it's been much better than random tier 8 battles for sure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You might make a lot of money, but you'll lose plenty of stars.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It's more that the rest of the ships on the team don't like getting close to the enemy, I follow the blob but the blob likes to run away from contact and snipe.

Which is understandable I suppose given how dangerous torpedoes are but it's not very much fun.

Yeah, you just have to wait for the initial engagement then move forward. So long as the enemy sees someone else first you'll probably be ok moving up, and at that point it's much more likely that your pubbie friends will move up with you. Not guaranteed mind you, but more likely.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Perestroika posted:

So I finally got around to making my way through the russian tree, and I wonder: Is there any point to buying the Bogatyr's gun "upgrade" to 130mm guns? From what I can tell it's the same number of guns, with the same rate of fire, the same range, the same traversal time, but less damage. And still the game insists it's supposedly better.

Much faster shell speed and flatter arcs. It's easier to hit things with flatter arced shells. The downside is that it's a bit harder to abuse islands by firing over them.

Also, I don't carry often, but yesterday I was having an outstanding game in my Benson. It was a Tier VIII game where I solo capped, defended cap, did ~100k in damage and ended up being last man against the enemy CV. The CV driver definitely knew what he was doing (unlike our team's) and he got me in the end. I did have an awesome torpedo beat, thread the needle, dodge that elicited positive comments from other players.

But I also had "that guy;" some stupid schmuck who is criticizing my every move. He's long dead, was in the bottom half or bottom quarter of our team and everything I do is wrong. He was yelling at me at the beginning of the match for capping C, yet I was the only one who capped something. At the end of the match, I had torpedoed some Colorado, set him on fire, and from smoke was pumping AP into his superstructure from ~5km, doing ~2000 dmg salvos. Admiral Schmuck, of course, was busy finding fault in chat.

I have to figure out how to turn on replays. That would have been worth it for that round.

Re: ranked chat; I'm not sure I have the dedication to make it to the Tier 8 ranked battles, never mind to Rank 1. If we could division, I would be all over it though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

You might make a lot of money, but you'll lose plenty of stars.

I'm starting to see why everyone ignores you. First, no, you won't lose stars just playing ranked. If you consistently lose more than you win you'll hit your star floor, of course, but I tend to not assume everyone is bad at this game. More to the point there's no consequence to losing stars versus not playing ranked at all, so that's a moronic argument from the start.

Secondly, as a game mode ranked might be more fun than random for people, since (again) they're smaller battles where you're never at a fodder tier. Particularly at tier 8 this is valuable because of how God awful the tier 10 meta is right now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Velius posted:

I'm starting to see why everyone ignores you. First, no, you won't lose stars just playing ranked. If you consistently lose more than you win you'll hit your star floor, of course, but I tend to not assume everyone is bad at this game. More to the point there's no consequence to losing stars versus not playing ranked at all, so that's a moronic argument from the start.

Secondly, as a game mode ranked might be more fun than random for people, since (again) they're smaller battles where you're never at a fodder tier. Particularly at tier 8 this is valuable because of how God awful the tier 10 meta is right now.

If you want to hit rank 1, every time you lose a star, you have to earn two back in order to progress, especially once you get beyond the Irrevocable rank area.

Sailing a Benson means that, thanks to cap xp, you're more likely to finish top in a losing team, meaning you don't lose a star, and don't have to earn it back. This signficantly reduces the amount of games it takes to get to rank 1, at least until later in the season when everyone figures it out again, and 5 BB / 1CA / 1 DD battles turn into 1 BB/ 5 DD battles and everyone races for the cap XP to seal off a potential star loss.

They haven't fixed any of the things that turned ranked into a mind numbing time sink last time around.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 3, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
:allears: God it's truly incredible how someone can be so wrong and just keep posting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thronde posted:

:allears: God it's truly incredible how someone can be so wrong and just keep posting.

It actually makes him really, really accurate, because the exact opposite of whatever he says is usually right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thronde posted:

By all means, point out the parts that are wrong then, is it:
  1. Finishing top in a losing team doesn't lose a star
  2. Every time you lose and aren't top, you lose a star, unless you're bottomed out on an irrevocable rank, and the last irrevocable rank is at 12
  3. Every time you lose a star, you have to regain that star, and then win another star, in order to progress, and not simply stagnate
  4. Destroyers still get stupid XP for solo capping, to the point that they will almost always top out a losing side
  5. Not losing a star when you lose a battle means you only have to win a battle to get ahead, not win a battle to equalise first
  6. On top of this, the Benson is a really loving good ship in and of itself
  7. Ergo if you want to get through tier 8 ranked in a reasonable amount of battles, sailing a Benson is far and away the most viable option
Looking forward to an actual response rather than another self amused shitpost

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I had a 65% win rate in the Myogi (averaging 600k potential damage per battle :eyepop:) and a 68% win rate in the Kongo. I really love the Fuso's yooge volume of fire even though it's slow and just as lightly armored as the previous two ships. Will I like the Amagi?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

NT Rabbit are you derek smart?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I had a 65% win rate in the Myogi (averaging 600k potential damage per battle :eyepop:) and a 68% win rate in the Kongo. I really love the Fuso's yooge volume of fire even though it's slow and just as lightly armored as the previous two ships. Will I like the Amagi?

Yes. It's a faster Fuso with bigger guns and better secondaries than the Nagato.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, ever seen a Tirpitz just no-fucks-given charge the whole enemy team in ranked and make it work flawlessly, just routing their team and causing a one-sided slaughter of a match? Now you can. :black101:

Also features a poor Fubuki player losing the lottery. Detonated by my secondaries. :haw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do shots below the waterline actually register in this game? It seems like if i hit the water even right next to the ship firing horizontally, the shots don't do much.

Seems like it would be hard to hit the citadel without shooting below the waterline however.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

Yes. It's a faster Fuso with bigger guns and better secondaries than the Nagato.

Amagi is a worse brawler than Nagato, so the "better secondaries" issue is irrelevant; also, it having better secondaries is debateable in the first place. You have very slightly more secondary guns but they lose 0.5 km range, which hurts quite a bit. Amagi also has significantly less side armor than Nagato, which is what you want in close range brawls - not that Nagato has great side armor either.

OwlFancier posted:

Do shots below the waterline actually register in this game? It seems like if i hit the water even right next to the ship firing horizontally, the shots don't do much.

Seems like it would be hard to hit the citadel without shooting below the waterline however.

There have been videos posted showing that yes, underwater hits are in, but they're pretty hard to get under anything other than ideal conditions.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

They do but I think it's still a mystery what the shell trajectory looks like once they actually hit the water.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll not bother trying for them then.

Holy poo poo ramming people is so satisfying in this, battleships don't seem to expect you to beeline for them firing torpedoes all over the place and ramming them in a blaze of glory.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OwlFancier posted:

I'll not bother trying for them then.

Holy poo poo ramming people is so satisfying in this, battleships don't seem to expect you to beeline for them firing torpedoes all over the place and ramming them in a blaze of glory.

The couple of times I've rammed people in this game have been some of my favorite of the entire time I've played.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Ranked is good and cool for several reasons.

If you want to get to ranked 1 and get cool prizes, that's fine. If you want to get as far as you can for cool prizes that's fine too. I like it because I can grind out my tier 8s and their captains for tier 9s since it can be kind of a slog to get the 100k + xp to get tier 9s. This is nice if you care about your win rate and don't want to trash it in randoms with a ship you don't particularly care for *cough*tashkent*cough*. Of course all the free XP and credits is nice too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Locking it to single tier shockingly didn't fix the problem of dumbasses bringing poo poo into Ranked, WG. Imagine that!

No, you loving retards, don't bring stock battleships into Ranked. Stock anything, really.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ice Fist posted:

The couple of times I've rammed people in this game have been some of my favorite of the entire time I've played.

My favorite moment in this game was being in either my Fuso or Kongo, I forget which. Came around and island to find 3 enemies cruisers there. Immediately smashed through the first one while turning my cannons and secondaries on a second. My guns took him out at about the same time I rammed the final one. That second ram did kill me, but I figured that taking out 3 full health ships was a pretty good trade.

Ramming just feels so good. I love any time that I realize that I'm not going to win a firefight with another BB unless I get a bunch of lucky citadels, so I just point my bow at him and full speed ahead, hoping to live long enough to successfully ram so at least I can take him down with me.

In other news, backseat captaining can really get annoying. I'm playing my Ryujo and have snuck my entire compliment of bombers around behind their Independence, who was sitting still behind and island doesn't see them until it is too late. I'm microing my drops so that all torpedos and bombs hit him, sinking him in a single wave. Meanwhile my team is bitching that I'm not microing my fighter squad to keep track of an enemy destroyer. Sorry, I was a bit busy taking out the enemy carrier solo! Which left me an open field for bombing runs without having to worry about the fact that any US carrier's fighters will eat mine for breakfast so I have to normally play cat and mouse the entire match.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Locking it to single tier shockingly didn't fix the problem of dumbasses bringing poo poo into Ranked, WG. Imagine that!

No, you loving retards, don't bring stock battleships into Ranked. Stock anything, really.

Pubbies gonna be pubbies.

I know I put at least one stock Fuso out of it's misery on my way to rank 15. Actually felt a bit bad about that. Going after a stock Fuso with a Bayern is like kicking puppies. Okay, going after a stock Fuso with just about anything is like kicking puppies, but doing it with the Bayern is just extra sadistic.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 4, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Night10194 posted:

It actually makes him really, really accurate, because the exact opposite of whatever he says is usually right.
I like to think he's posting from the mirror universe, which explains everything really if you think about it

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Once I was in my New York, and I was binocular'd in, shooting and enemy New Mexico, when suddenly there's an explosion and "You just killed an enemy Destroyer!" and "Die Hard" popped up in chat.

Apparently, an enemy Mutsuki was firing at someone else from smoke and badly misjudged how close I was, because when I turned unexpectedly into his smoke I ran right over him.

That was a good match.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 3, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I like ranked. It is good and cool.

There is definitely more coordination in tier 8 over tier 6 on the NA server in my experience, but the results seem to be relatively the same. Enthusiasm and communication don't really swing battles if your team can't aim.

..at least I won't have a team with three battleships all firing HE anymore. :negative:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

A problem with being on EU servers I find. Same for WoT. Russia: No tactics just charge, US: Massive divide between retards and nonretards making everything a turkeyshoot, EU: Everyone is a massive unbelievable coward who plays like they'll die in real life if they explode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

A problem with being on EU servers I find. Same for WoT. Russia: No tactics just charge, US: Massive divide between retards and nonretards making everything a turkeyshoot, EU: Everyone is a massive unbelievable coward who plays like they'll die in real life if they explode.

It's really weird, and annoying, because even when I stay in the middle of the pack the rest of them all gently caress off instead of cruising through in a murderball and I end up getting shot at by half the enemy team.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The best strategy to playing this game is to be AFK for the first several minutes. Give everyone time to float to the absolute edge of the map and then you can sail to whichever area is best and also not be the first to get brutally melted by being the first ship seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Asia server is a lot of fun, between the random Australian cursing, Vietnamese memes, recklessly brave sacrifice plays, and the complete obliviousness of straight line sailing destroyers. Logging on to NA to play with goons is really quite a culture shock so to speak in both playstyle and general public attitude.