Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Yes and yes.

The new map, Hot Spot. I hate this map with a passion and I think it should be removed right away, Getting pubbies to work is one thing, But sticking both teams in a blender and hoping they get split evenly is another thing on top of that.

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Yeah if they are going to make one nation be the fighter cv nation, They got to make shooting down fighters worth something. I have seen CV's that have shot down 50+ aircraft and yet they will still be at the bottom half of the team

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Been trying jap carriers, But yet to get anywhere, the same complaint about fighters worth nothing is having a strange effect that I am only fighting bouges and lanlgys with fighters, making both of us useless

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Velius posted:

If Bismark is tier 8, then I guess we're getting two H ships for 9 and 10. I wonder what they're going to do for the tier 10 gun system, the 18 inch variant? Or the comedy 20"?

Some one posted some time ago that if this was going to happen they would try the 18 inch project, and if it ended up being pretty bad they would replace it with the 20 inch one

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It has crappy 4.5km torps that do an average of 10k damage. Technically its a tier lower in torps as the normal T7 can get the 5.5km torps

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

i had 245ish battles and got a pair of +5 commanders, so I'm not complaining. The Japanese one is going into carriers to ease the horrific pain of grinding the tier 4-7 poo poo heaps, the American one is going into cruisers because :radcat:

I had about 500 battles and got a pair of 7 point commanders :smuggo:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ohsosad posted:

Apparently they are removing the Atago and Atlanta from the store (according to asia server patch notes).

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/ver-0401-maintenance/

Open beta patch went live right now, along with all maintenance on NA, once everything is back up there will be alot of sour people

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Its kinda best to regard almost every CV players right now as knowing how to manual drop like a boss. Those are the guys that would after all know CV's has the hardest time tier difference wise and are trying to get ahead before anyone else

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do you mean those guys who can seemingly drop torpedoes about 20 feet away? Because I have no idea how i'm supposed to handle those guys. It's like if they want someone dead they're gonna die and you just have to hope it's not you.

Pretty much yeah, Don't play battleships is what I am doing right now, least till they have moved up a few tiers, or the more casual players start picking up their carriers

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

sarmhan posted:

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp

I'm at the Tier 5 IJN DD. I am really missing my US guns

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

cheese posted:

Yes but you get glorious 10km torps that let you sit forever out of range of everyone and fire them from 13km into oncoming battleships.

I really don't think I will get the 10km ones, 7km is so much that I don't know what to do with them most of the time to begin with

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, you can use premiums to retrain a captain when you stick them in a new ship. The best part is, even if you choose the 50% 200k retrain that temporarily borks their skills on *that* class of ship, the skills still work perfectly and without penalty on the premium ship you're using to grind them on.

I am kinda hoping they have done that on purpose for the sake of Captain grinds

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I don't know how you'd manage the higher tiers, but I think there's room for three battleship lines up to tier 6-7 without getting too crazy. It'd still be messy.

Somewhere some one said that after Bismark it would be the H ships, with the last one being the 39? or 40? if it could not compete with the much later T10 battleships

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

bobthethurd posted:

Do carriers get more exp for shooting down planes then? I have had games where I did nothing but that, 27-30 downed in a game vs another carrier and I get plenty of experience. Shutting down enemy carriers is my favorite thing to do when I'm playing one.

Not as much as torping, If you get two torp hits, you will get more XP than a carrier who shoots down 50 planes

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

They used to have a niche, and then they nerfed small HE fires % and damage when 4.0 happened, due to people whining about US DDs keeping them on fire and being able to burn down their battleship/carrier/whatever. Now US DDs are kinda just unflavorful garbage. They're good for hunting other DDs but that's about it.

That is not how you talk about the best DD's in the game from Tier 4 and up :colbert:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

InstantInfidel posted:

How do you get your torpedo bombers to drop all of their torps in those shallow angles instead of the usual, as illustrated below:

code:
--->

--->

--->

--->
code:
--->  ---> ---> ---->
I've seen multiple people drop them like the second example, and can't figure out how.

I have had this happen a few times playing CV's with auto drop, Auto drop planes will freak out if the ship does sudden course change when they are at the edge of their drop zone. It can be really great if they freak out and all of them hit the target on their new course, but I have also seen them drop them in the opposite direction than intended

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mostly happens with auto drops, if something strange happens, maybe you changed your heading too soon and they where in the process of dropping, freaking the AI out

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Let the games begin..

http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000021838/

[SEAMN] SEAMEN

Never not shoot your hot load at another sailor...

Now we need a good logo.. get on it goons. I am thinking a scantily clad sailor riding on a torpedo like a bucking bronco.

My name is so made for this. SEAScrub

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

New Mexico is a great ship, Its strong, compact, have triple barrels and not too sluggish when turning.

The only downside it hates fire. being so compact has the downside that all the super structure is in a neat , large spot that He will easily hit and catch fire on. I have been mauled to death by clevelands like that

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 10, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

This is definitely NOT the way to play BBs.

Take shots at range, but you should always be looking for a good brawl to stick all your guns into another ships butt.

Pretty much this, You want your guns to be on a flat as possible arc you can for easier citadel hits, which normally means getting in closer, This closer range does go up with higher caliber, and overall better guns, but you still want to get to that sweet spot of low arc

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I assume that's intended to nerf carriers (and inadvertently takes a massive dump on Japanese destroyers) but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Wargaming is just nerfing already weak ships for the hell of it.

Yeah I think it is aimed more at manual dropping carriers, even if you do see them in a battleship and turn into/away from them, soon enough you would of hard ruddered to one side and lost some speed, giving them the perfect angle again to manual drop them on you as you just can't turn again in a hurry

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I have picked it this game up. How are the Russian DD's?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I probably should of said I was a returning player who played during closed beta and shortly after the last wipe. So already got experience in the IGN and US DD's I tended to like my fast shooty more.

Also the german cruisers. how are they compared to the other two lines?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I did not even know this thing was out. and it says I am not bad at all as long as its not a cruiser :stare:

http://warships.today/player/1008383329/na/SEAScrub

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Which is kinda strange since I don't enjoy cruisers however the T4 german one I hate with a passion and with the low amount of battles I have played in it. It seems to be heading into one of the best ships I own

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The Golden Type 59 also has double the credit generation

Was it also a certain team kill on site for many players over there

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Devorum posted:

Is there a good reason to spend the XP and credits for the gun upgrade on the Cleveland? Seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

You exchange turret rotation for more shells in the air, take it if you think it is worth the trade off.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I had no idea one could get Solo Warrior for simply outlasting to a victory :aaaaa:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

With the British cruisers out and with what was tested before, and what we have now, from smoke sitting fast firing HE spamming cruisers, to smoke sitting, fast firing AP spamming cruisers. it feels like wargamming at least knows just how much of a joke the fire mechanics are, and I kinda hope its a sign that they are looking at a rework for it

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Pretty much, US DDs are all about knife fights, and Russians are about range fights

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

35 Halloween camos
35 Restless Fire camos
70 games con camos
333 Dragon flags

:negative: no ships or anything else

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Not when you already had over 1000 to begin with

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

El Disco posted:

The tier V is kinda bad. Barely an upgrade and you get thrown into tier VII matches all the time.

I motion this, it does have the gimmick that its guns can move in 360 degrees, but they are some of the smallest guns in the game and have huge air time even in close combat

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I have unlocked the Bismark. The secondary build is just as great as I expected! it just melts everything in a 10km range

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I would imagine it would have 20 mins of the Soviet/Russian national anthem playing in the background

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ranbo das posted:

Probably because the Bismarck is overperforming for it's tier while the other German BBs are fine so they're just tapping it with the nerf bat

The funny part is downgrading the sonar really won't change much, The Bismarks kill zone likes to be at about the 8-10km mark

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I met a division of the fake SEAMN, They are such tight asses they put that clan tag to shame :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Dumb question, what does RPF stand for? I can not find any skills that have that letter combination

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The German secondary build might be a relic of the past now, to get anywhere close to the level of it before hand you have to harshly pay for it with most of the skills now in the 3 and 4 bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Pacra posted:

None of the 3/4 bracket choices hurt that much against a captain that goes secondary build instead. Fire prevention is an excellent and suggested survivability capstone at 18, but playing smart, using wasd hacks, and managing your fires correctly mitigate any of the other possible choices. The build is alive and well. I wouldn't bother getting BFT on a secondary build currently - leaving that skill out of it gives a very strong secondary spec still existing.

I don't play on the best of net so the WASD hack can take 10 seconds or more too kick in, having both Superintendent and basics of survivability now on the high end is making it tricky cause they are must picks to wither through those seconds of sever thinking