Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How active are goons playing this, I was considering buying into the beta but only if I can play with nout pubbies regulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Didn't US blow up a lot of WWII battle ships (both US and Japanese) during their nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean?
And if so, do we know the effect of an atom bomb on a battleship?

They did.
In the first test, basically all the ships inside a 1 mile radius got completely hosed up, except a Japanese ship, moderatly close to the explosion, surived with moderate damage due to the stern offering protection and pointing at the blast.

An aircraft carrier 1.6 miles out got hosed up because the planes on the deck caught fire and pretty much wrecked the entire thing.

Animals inside the ships died two days later due to radiation poisoning.

Basically you can sum it up as : If you are withing one mile of the detonation of a 23 kiloton (hiroshima was about 16) nuclear bomb you are dead.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 29, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Japanese suicide bombers in video games are offensive to the Japanese. I'm not lying.

also the term kamikaze was a misnomer, the correct name for those kinds of squadrons was tokkou (special attack) squadrons

you may now flip the other way and start calling me a murderous fascist

Source your quotes you murderous facist.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay, I'll bite. Where did I make the incorrect leap in logic?

Japanese suicide bombers in video games are offensive to the Japanese. I'm not lying.

also the term kamikaze was a misnomer, the correct name for those kinds of squadrons was tokkou (special attack) squadrons

you may now flip the other way and start calling me a murderous fascist

Source your quotes.

"Nazis a humans. People who help people are human. Thus nazis are okay."
loving flawless logic as well, doesn't make it right.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I bought one of the pre-order packs. How do I download this stuff now? I want to shoot ships.

e: Just as I post this it works.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I enjoy playing skycancer. I'm awful with torpedos so I just get as many fighters up as possible.

Real sad I can't rename my ships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Burt posted:

This will bite you in the balls that one game you get where you are the only carrier on both teams and all you have is fighters and a single dive bomber squadron.

In that case I just say gently caress it because imho fightercover for my team is more important.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Still waiting for the british navy since I'm a britaboo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

I've seen this several times, I had to tell one of them to get out and fight or I'd broadside him myself, I may have finished that match with -1 points. Worth it imo.

Waiting for the mod that implements truck-reverse-beeping for battleships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I take it back. Torpbombers are really cool, and when you get about 10 into the broadside of a BB, and hear the really bassy sound of your achievement...pretty satisfying.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

After two rounds against a Lexington in my Saipan I decided to give up and take a break for tonight.

Also, the next torpbomber upgrade makes them faster and more durable, but the torp damage is back to old levels. Is that worth it?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed against a higher tier carrier. Carriers are notorious to get outmatched anything 1 tier above. In your case, the Lex was 2 tiers above, so there isn't much you can do. Just don't engage his fighters unless you have a 2 to 1 ratio and some cruisers are nearby.

Although the torp damage is lower, the upgrade is well worth it, especially if you do not do manual drops. There's nothing more infuriating as a carrier player than seeing your torpedoes crawl toward a target only to miss because they were not fast enough. Some ships can literally out run them. Less damage for more chances to hit. Thats the proper way to see it.

What do you mean "not manual drops". I understand these words but surely only really awful people (pubbies) would not manually drop their torpedos?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

There are a few instances where you will have no choice. You cannot move your mouse outside the edge of the map, thus if a player is right against it, you might not be able to manually drop the torpedoes next to him. In those case, you will be forced to do a normal click and hope it hits.

Yeah but that is a rare case I assumed, it only happened once.
If I could select the spread with the automatic run I would probably do it more often. But as it is, manual is just too good to not use.

For bombers I still use automatic except for slow or stopped targets.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also I am not sure what makes the bomber-hitcircle so huge, seemingly at random.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

You can hold shift and press 2-3-4-5 to select multiple squadrons and command them as a pair. If I'm not specifically doing a split attack I usually group my torp bombers and use them as a single unit.

I did not have a single game tonight in either my Independence or Saipan where I was not overmatched either in quantity or tier. My first game was Ind v Indx2, second game Ind v Ind+Sai, third game Ind v Ranger+Saipan... However the other carrier drivers were all bloody idiots and allowed me to outmanuever their squadrons or bait them into getting slaughtered by friendly AAA. I'm getting better at manual drops, and there's no feeling like nailing an unsuspecting cruiser or DD, but goddamn if Fusos don't just fukin' eat a ton of torps.

You can also drag and drop. hth

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You wanna cheat as CV?
Spam the mousebutton to order you planes around, every time you do they jump forward a bit.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Finally.

A wee bit concerned about the Japanese squadrons having less planes (and probably worse HP per plane). Gonna get wrecked at higher tiers.
That and the whole "american carriers focus on air superiority, which will make both sides carriers mostly useless!"

The changes to armor, penetration and shell mechanics are interesting, but let's see how they actually turn out.

This will make fighter carriers probably actually usefull.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Insert name here posted:

When the gently caress is 0.3.1 gonna drop

I want my Iowa already

Yeah I'm just waiting for the bomber buff.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The american and russian destroyer are good and funs ships. The japanese cruiser not so much.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just make Japanese CVs very good with torp bombers, and US carriers good with fighters/bombers.

Of course, in a reasonable sense.

e: Patch is loading for US client. 2620.58MB

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shoutout to orangejuche for being a great battlebuddy. He also had a nice analogy.

Trip report new shell system and damage mechanics:

What the gently caress is going on.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

See following situation.

Me in my independence. Upgraded fighters, both modules to make them stronger.
One enemy ranger, one enemy fighter squadron.
Result: I lose one and a half squad, he looses two planes.

gently caress you game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Here is how to use DBs correctly:
Step 1: Wait until the BB wastes his repair.
Step 2. Manual aim and get 5 hits in.
Step 3: Laugh as three fires rack up more damage than a waterflood.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

^
Only issue I have are long match-loading times.

Okay, may I present you: My issue with fighters on the Indepenence.

Okay, looks decent. It's the upgraded version.

Now, if we look at tier up:

Hm....Hmmmmmmmmm...

What that means is that you are basically hosed, even if you have two squads, you won't be able to take out a single enemy fighter squadron.

RIP

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cruisers with a lot of guns that can make it rain will set fire to anything instantly as soon as they get in range. It's lovely.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hagop posted:

So I am going to go ahead and guess the Cleveland is still the king of ships.

You imply it will ever not be the king of ships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ebay maybe?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The SC and the Wyoming have both atrocious range.
However, once you get to the New York you get about 15km range, and the abilitiy to buy the range modification. Which you should do, it gets you to about 18Km total and is a must buy.

Hazdoc posted:

Wargaming has said in their instructional videos that carriers of a higher tier should always win fighter dogfights, so its probably intended behavior. I'll be damned if the difference isn't hilariously large, though. The survivability change isn't a huge amount different, so its probably ok to try and coordinate with allied cruisers and fight under friendly AA to even the odds. I wonder if the focused fire skill reduces the effectiveness of fighters... since it reduces the accuracy of the other 2 types of planes (and murderzones scouts).

Yes, but two on one without barely any looses over friendly AA is retarded. Look, I am all about "You made it to a tier higher because you banged your head against a wall often enough", but giving lower tier carriers literally no chance to defend their bombers is unfun and unfair.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Servers are up again btw. See me in TS.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stalin would have been proud. One filthy destroyer and two capitalistic battleships have been sunk.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Grem is probably the best of the three preorder ships. It is at a very good tier, gets decent guns and very good torpedos.

However, it seems to be a very strange mix of two playstyles. It excels at anything long range - the guns have the range and the accuracy, as well as firepower and refirerate to be effective at max distance. The torpedos work great at area denial and pack a mean punch.

You can use your superior handling and speed to dodge bullets quite a lot. However, when you get close you cannot afford to wait for your guns to turn - probably the only weakness it has. Keep doging, use your torpedos and then harass and battleships at a healthy distance.

e: oh and always play this when driving the Grem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 16, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I never did all that. Put arrow over ship, move arrow in direction ship is moving, have a feeling for it, shoot.
90% of the time it is a good hit so who cares.

I'm sorry if you are all awful at estimating stuff.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Imho I had no problem with it at all. In my head I just think of the distance to the target, at what angle it is to me, what kind of ship it is (which tells me how fast it is most likely going), and then I just do put the ranging stripes where I think they belong.

It' not unintuitive at all. In fact it is extremely simple. People are just too stupid to grasp concepts harder than "Target moving, must aim further ahead".

e: The "Count the seconds by looking at a spot at the ocean" is nice in theory if 1. The target never moves 2. It would take less than 5 seconds. Because at a flight time of 10 seconds I am probably wasiting more time ranging than firing a volley, hitting with onyl two shells, and then adjusting and hitting with a full broadside.

But maybe I am just playing the game wrong.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

El Disco posted:

Another destroyer? Destroyer wolfpacks are pretty awesome, especially when you launch torpedoes at a ship from two different angles so he's hosed no matter which way he turns.

Basically this. Most ships can only dogfight so well, and turning turrets take time. You can gently caress battleships up by torping them from both sides, and with combined forepower you will lay more fires than a pyromaniac on silvester.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

And compared to tanks it is still pretty bad. Even arty in WoT, flawed as it is, is more intuitive than how the ranging is implemented.
Also, waiting 20s for your shells to land is pretty boring.
What I liked about the aimbot mod was how it introduced simplicity into the game. Not fighting the tank was one of the reasons for WoTs success and I would like to see that repeated in WoWS.

If you find hitting stuff hard you are just bad. Not sure what to tell you.
Also saying that arty had any kind of ranging in WoT is a joke because it had not.

Here is what you can do if waiting 20 (10 at max?) seconds bores you: Don't play battleships. Cruisers are fast, fun, you can miss without it costing you half a minute. Or even better, destroyers.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Welcome to the new patch.

Also, playing the Atlanta is basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

They are also only fun if there isn't an american carrier a tier higher than you.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Trip report CL Cleveland and Atlanta:

:supaburn:

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 17, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/gallery-ars-tours-the-battleship-uss-iowa-bb-61/

Lovely pictures, lovely information, lovely boat.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/gears-of-war-when-mechanical-analog-computers-ruled-the-waves/2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

To be fair it is still in beta. Just report the bug and keep playing on.
This should not be a defense just because it is a beta. I got pubbies screaming at me because I dared to point out flaws, saying "It'a beta".

Appearently that means that everything is okay and you are not allowed to point out bugs or make suggestions.

e:

texasmed posted:

edit: As for some other content, what's the consensus on torpedo spamming? I figure if they reload in 30 seconds I'm gonna send those fuckers downrange, even if the enemy botes are barely gonna enter range as they're disappearing. I figure if they even see them in the water, it's gonna make them think twice and potentially deny the area to them.

Some guy in a game was complaining about my torp spamming so I've been thinking about it.

My opinion may be tainted since I played NF for tens years, so if there is something I can it is dodging torpedos. But 40 seconds is hardly spam, only high tier ships get truly a large armound, and generally speaking you can dodge quite easily by...well, driving smart.

So the general consens is "gently caress pubbies". It's a legit tactic.