Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What did it take to get reward tier II?

No piasters for me :saddowns: I only played in one beta weekend but I probably played around 50 battles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there realistically any difference between playing with 200 ping vs playing with 50 ping in this game?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible to manually fire the deck guns or anything?

And how do you lock the guns in a specific direction (apart from holding right-click)?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Do shells keep going after hitting the water? What happens to penetration/damage? I see iChaseGaming is aiming deliberately at the water line and doing great damage. Here I've been thinking that hitting water = miss... :doh:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Has anyone tried forcing FSAA for this game?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

FXAA off, using SweetFX.

Does SweetFX's SMAA work for WoWS? :)

edit: tried sweetfx with smaa, no luck for anti aliasing :/

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 19, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Works like a charm. AA FXAA set to off running SweetFX and this is the comparative results.

Hmm, mind uploading the config? :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Jesus Christ are you playing on gudios macbook from the tanks thread?

This is the version of SweetFX I am using and it includes the presets from my setup.

I am in TS and can jump into a channel to be sure you are setting it up right. You have to disable FXAA in game and for example if you have an nVidia card and it is enabled in the program then that might be loving with it.. that or you are using a hacked 3DS to play PC games. I can't help you then.

Yeah I've got SweetFX working, FXAA off etc, and there's a slight difference with SMAA, but it doesn't really do much.

I even tried using Nvidia Inspector to try various antialiasing compatibility settings and forcing supersampling, but it does nothing for those godawful rigging wires.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Has anyone tried both the Main Battery Modification 2 and Gun Fire Control System 1 equipments? I bought the MBM 2 but I'm not sure if it actually gives you +10% rate of fire. "+10% loading time, +15% aiming speed" :confused:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 19, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Oh for fucks sake. :doh: That's not what I needed.

Does the Gun Fire Control System give any meaningful increase to accuracy though?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Am I the only one who gets a "server temporarily unavailable" message? :mad:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

The Omaha is pretty great :)

edit: anyone tried retraining a commander to a different ship? Is it worth the trouble?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

SuperSix posted:

one thing about playing IJN cruisers is that nobody seems to expect cruisers to spit out torps

Which ones have torpedos?

Also I found the torps on the Phoenix and the Omaha to be pretty useful. If you play somewhat suicidally like me and often close the distance to ships they can make the difference between killing and getting killed. Most players don't really expect them :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone know the difference between the commander skills High Alert and Repair Work?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why would you upgrade the torpedo tubes on the Clemson? +0.5km range for -0.6 ROF?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Man I wish there were replays. Just had my best battle yet, playing the :allears: Kongo :allears:

105k damage. 1k more and I would have claimed the 8th kill. :negative:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I should probably try turning off target locking by hitting x and seeing what that lets you do.

Pretty sure it'll be much harder to lead ships and to follow up with another salvo.. Target locking makes your zoom sight follow the enemy ship at whatever speed it's going at.

Report back though. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

You can definitely lead in range even while auto tracking though :confused: But if you aim too high or too low you'll take over from the auto-range-leading or something and probably miss... Is that it?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

Well, my application jsut got approved within about 5 minutes. :woop:

Same. Now I have both an NA account and an EU account for the CBT. :cool:

Will have to see how much difference 200 ms vs 50 ms ping makes before I decide whether to start over without my precious Fuso and Cleveland ships on the EU server. :shobon:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mordieth posted:

do i have to re download the client?

Yes, seems like it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Not sure I can agree that high ping is an excuse for sucking. v:shobon:v
I've been doing very well with 200-220 ping.
The game is much smoother and more comfortable to play at 50 ms, but other than that it doesn't make much of a difference in a game as slow as this.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
People are mad about keys on the official forum. :v:

quote:

Firstly all of you defending WG for their cheap and DIRTY marketing tactics need to sit down, drink some milk think of the story of life and just think for one second. WG is dropped dead rich, when you say they only are giving keys away to people at random/and to those who are streaming for marketing purposes, we'll you just contradicted yourself for giving those streamers preference is like they are the teachers pet.

Why is giving keys away at random a bad joke? because my friends many and I mean many people do not have good computers, some of the people that did get the keys will be under 30fps or worse they are unable to play the game.

If the gray haired person in charge of the World of Warships marketing department took his/her thumb out of their $$$ they would have ASK EVERYONE TO UPLOAD THEIR DXDIAG!!!!!!!!!!

A good beta test is not on how much money you HAVE spent on other WG games but a large variety different hardware from low end pc's to high end BUT WAIT! "You just say people weren't getting good fps CONTRADICTION!". Yes but the RANDOMNESS does not help in the case of WG never asked about your pc so how would they know if you are bugging out or just can afford a pc at this time to play such games. Players that have play other WG titles like I DO feel left out for sure but beta's need fresh input from people that have never played WoT or WoWP but at the same time WG need to remember they have a very big support behind them from those that came before, that have spent money on their titles which means they can pay their employees and they can buy food for the table at home and so the cycle of nerds and games continues. With the Marketing Tactics they have used here they have ALIENATED their long time supporters, making them feel "Left out in the cold" and unwanted. WG made a very poor call for the tactics they used and time WILL show in the money they get from those that bother to stick around for the final release.

Beta's need

Variety in Computer hardware

Variety in Players New and Old

Players that aren't just in it to play but to report back on bugs and issues that need to be adressed

Gaming Companies needs to know what their Beta works are gaming on and not just blind disregard to who they let in

P.S. How many do you think of all that got those keys to give out to their followers on youtube and such give the keys to their friends and clan mates first?!!!! real smart thinking WG (clap clap clap)

Drink some milk and think of the story of life, guys.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone know where the NA server is located? Wondering if I can expect better ping when/if they throw up another NA server.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I'm actually not sure what to think myself anymore. I maintain that there is a lot of "help" involved, though. You do have to range-lead a little bit even when you have the target on autofollow, but way less than what you could expect, I think. Shooting at a target coming towards you while you're going away from it yourself (like in that video I posted earlier) is one case where it seems very apparent that there's a lot of weirdness going on.

There is some range auto-aim, but I'm not sure if it actually helps. If you're targeted on enemy A and aiming at him, you can still overshoot or undershoot for range and hit the water in front of him/behind him quite easily.

If you are targeted (X) at enemy A who is 4 km away, but aiming towards un-targeted enemy B who is 8 km away, your shots will land somewhere between around 6 km.

So be careful that the ship you're aiming at is the one that is targeted, otherwise the range "correction" will screw up your shots.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Krataar posted:

Any tips for getting through the terrible Phoenix. Such a letdown after the barrage party that was the St. Louis

It's very good when fully upgraded, and so is the Omaha. Learn to use torpedos.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXaTeaQI2s

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 26, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Asehujiko posted:

I'm up to the Omaha now and unlocked the 3rd upgrade slot, is the main battery accuracy boost good or should I take the extra AA instead? I heard bad things about the turret rotation boost and the torpedo upgrade seems pointless, I never ran into a situation where I couldn't swing the tubes around fast enough.

Always buy the gun control accuracy equipment if you've got the creds :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

James Garfield posted:

:frogsiren:
Next super test patch apparently adds the Warspite as a premium :britain: :10bux:
It also adds Sims and Gnevny-class destroyers and a Soviet Omaha, and makes torpedoes harder to spot and Japanese destroyer guns less worthless.

How are people supposed to play a premium without having piasters to buy it with

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Keru posted:

Make sure it's set to the correct aspect ratio, it should be 16:10 for 1920*1080.

1920x1080 is 16:9. 1920x1200 is 16:10.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've seen several Yubaris. Are people actually paying money for premium ships for use in closed beta :stare:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The nerd rage is still amazing on the official forums though, people were expecting/demanding free tokens for testing

As in, gold for use in the CB/OB? I don't think that's unreasonable.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Chucullinn posted:

So I loving love the Fuso, and this wasn't even a 1.5x exp game. Were people complaining about the Fusos spread? Because I think it's great.

The funniest bit by far of that battle was getting 3 citadel hits with one salvo on a mogami, one shotting it and making it rain with pubby tears.

I also love how I did more work than all the other bbs on my team combined :smug:

The Fuso is absolutely fantastic. I dont know how anyone can complain about the dispersion on its guns when it's way easier to do lots of damage in it compared to Kongo and Nagato.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

Get Advanced Firing Training and the secondary battery upgrade that increases the range.

You would actually pick +20% secondary range over increased main gun accuracy?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Jesus loving christ

165k damage done, 103k received, 7 kills... doesn't help when everyone except me dies. :ssj:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Victor Surge posted:

Cleveland will have issues with the AP ammo change as well, I think.

What change? :stare:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

hitting under the waterline is also probably going to mean 0 damage.

Why would it? A tiny travel time in the water shouldn't remove all hope of penetrating, right?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you're barely penetrating in the first place, hitting the water is probably not going to do you any favors

I guess. Is there any information on the penetration values (a la WOT) of guns?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Atal Vataman posted:

For those of you wondering if this game is any good, it's basically like tanks, but significantly worse in every way. Imagine tanks, but way slower, allowing you to move in one dimension less, with much simpler spotting mechanics (you can't hide), and with terrible balance issues. Oh, and you know how 1-2% of your tank games end in annoying draws right? Wargaming realized their mistake and fixed it in boats... by multiplying the amount of draws tenfold. So games last 20 minutes, with the last 3-4 minutes being used at driving straight forward with no hope of reaching the enemy or capping them out. Currently going strong at 15% draws. its really cool and exciting.

It's not that common. I'm at 6% draws.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

How do you do this?

Press X to untarget/target someone else.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

There are replays now? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Chair In A Basket posted:

Reinstall it like you did the first time and it should work again.

Wtf. WG are truly useless. They said it was disabled in this patch. I've been enjoying a few games where people are now, strangely, much less accurate compared to a couple days ago.

Please don't spread information like that to pubbies though, post it in the private forum.