Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

The conclusion I am coming to as a cruiser fan is that my job is idiocy mitigation. While I have the throw weight to hurt other cruisers and dent battleships in a pinch, my primary duty is safeguarding dumb battleships, carriers, and cruisers from destroyers and carriers. I keep seeing battleships get so locked in on dueling other battleships that they completely ignore destroyers racing in and approaching planes.

I do this most of the time but it Also just results in me getting mad at people doing stupid poo poo in their battleships which, more often than not, decides the outcome of a game. You can protect them from others, but not themselves.

Battleships just feel like Easy Mode compared t Cruisers/Destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zhanism posted:

Should destroyers use HE or AP? Their AP not useful against bigger ships and does AP matter against other destroyers?

I use AP against destroyers because one good AP volley into the citadel is basically lights out for another destroyer. HE against everything else for the sole purpose of attempting to start fires to cause them to burn their repair.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BadLlama posted:

If the target is far use AP even against Battleships. Your rounds will arc right down into their nice sweet and soft deck and puncture right through.

DD's don't really have the range for this to be a thing though. Arcing down really only applies when you're shooting over long enough distances for it to actually do that and the top tier DDs have like a 12k range.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

My main problem with torpedoes is that I just keep underestimating the amount I need to lead the target.

Press X with your crosshair over the target. A lead indicator will now appear when you select your torps. It's complete bullshit and should be removed, imo.

Omaha First Round Trip Report:

67 hits landed, 7 citadel hits, 3 crits, 1 Kongo, 1 Phoenix and 90% of another Phoenix that a BB scraped the kill from.

Its good :whatup:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Every DD has range to arc AP down into decks of ships. Event he early tier 10KM guns.

That's contrary to what some of the more experienced players were saying earlier :shrug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Vengarr posted:

The problem with the torpedo lead indicator is that it assumes consistent speed and heading. Which hey, sometimes guys are just cruising along unsuspecting and its great. You'll hit them with all your torps and sink them. But if they're taking evasive action, the indicator won't help you.

And you should always be taking some kind of evasive action. Even something as simple as constantly switching between full speed and 3/4ths makes a huge difference. On ships with lots of giddyup, you can go from full to 1/2 to 3/4ths to 1/2 to full and just gently caress with everyones' shot timing. Plus, rather than going directly parallel to the target you should angle your ship a bit so you're either headed towards or away from them--that added dimension makes it even harder to hit.

Obviously it's not perfect but I just don't see why it's necessary at all. Why should players not have to learn how to properly lead torpedoes in the first place?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gamesguy posted:

Because you are very unlikely to hit anything at long range with torps if you don't have indicator. Don't be dumb, DDs are weak enough as it is.

Vengarr posted:

Because unless you can do split-second trig calculations, hitting a target with a torpedo at anything other than point-blank range would just become a matter of luck.

Sounds like a general improvement to gameplay to me

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

demonR6 posted:

I absolutely wrecked a Kongo last night in my St. Louis for the second time in as many days because bad players underestimate this ship. Watching it haplessly try to maneuver into position, waiting for a 20+ second reload.. missing then getting beat down by your support because of target fixation is satisfying even if you die in the exchange. A Kongo for a St.Lou in match where I am lower tier and they need the firepower.. fair trade.

I survived, he didn't.. while he was turning about to engage me one of our DD's popped out and nuked him at close range. #glug

I spent an entire round last night skirting the edge of a Cleveland's range in my Phoenix, supporting my BBs while he tried to get me, then later on in the round he switched over to my BBs and I moved in and scored a bunch of edge-of-range hits including the killing blow for the victory. :feelsgood:

Clevelands are seriously terrifying when you're in a Phoenix/Omaha

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wasn't the first post after NTRabbirs first post "Don't argue with NTRabbit"

?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think a good way to ID a bad battleship driver is one who immediately launches their scout plane the moment the round starts.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man the Omaha is just a pile of badass :allears: When you can stay away from Clevelands

Gonna miss these torps eventually.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The game is "Support your batteships."

That's the game. BBs kill everything, Cruisers and Destroyers prevent the Battleships from dying an untimely death via torpedo. Once that's gone on long enough, windows to cause untimely death via torpedo open and you can mop the BBs up.

Once you realize where the ship you're driving falls into that ecosystem the ships make a lot more sense and the game is cool as heck, except when your BB drivers are idiots which is most of the time. Thankfully often times even keeping the bad BB drivers alive means winning.

Carriers seem like a dumb gimmick and 99% of carrier drivers rush their TBs out and lose half of them and miss all their torpedoes so I just ignore them mostly, except when their TBs provide free AAA kills.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 17, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Kongo is the first battleship that doesn't have a glaring weakness. Kawachi is a slow pig with short range (the worst combo), and the Miyagi has too few and too inaccurate guns to land decent hits with any consistency. Kongo is fast, somewhat protected with a bit of AA, has enough guns to fire decent salvoes and overall isn't outright bad at anything. Fuso is slower but gives a dense 12 gun salute that fills the area you shoot. Nagato's a bit disappointing but only in comparison, Amagi's back to fast and a ton of gun, and Yamato's a ton of armor and a good gun layout.

Uh the Miyagi owns and is comically maneuverable for a battleship. The Kawachi has a short range but can't be flanked.

I did really well in both ships before hitting the Kongo, which is just nuts.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing cruisers and destroyers are completely bad and useless, people are arguing that battleships are too much better than other classes to justify bringing a decent balance of ships.

Thankfully the game generally forces a balance of ships, which keeps it fun.

I find that after the initial engagement spotting becomes a lot more important. In the beginning everyone shoots at everything and there's so many ships chaining vision that yeah, scouting isn't that big a deal. In the mid-late game though it matters and I greatly appreciate the scout planes because of it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Your average carrier player may as well not be there

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

santanotreal posted:

The balance system currently overvalues carriers too, which just makes them even worse. I've had games where we got 1 carrier and the other team got 0 carriers, so in return they gave them two extra cruisers and the stronger battleships. Needless to say we lost horribly.

I like it when it gives on team an extra Kongo and the other team gets two DDs in return

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SuperSix posted:

Protip: If you're in a cruiser (ala Cleveland) and you're up against another cruiser, AIM FOR THEIR GUNS.

I was dueling Cleveland vs Cleveland and he was 5k away, I systematically took out all his turrets and he couldn't fire at all. I was pretty much taking a turret every volley.

AP of course, you should never be using HE

I have been working on magazine/citadel hits and the result is I've been loving dominating other cruisers in the Omaha. I just took on a Full health Omaha and Kongo with my 3/4 OMaha and burned down the other Omaha before some TBs go me :getin:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

This client is loving bizarre, it's like lag 'builds up' as I play and if I don't restart every 4-5 rounds it will just spike up to 600+ms and sit there every round until it either disconnects from the server entirely or I restart the client. What the gently caress

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I wanna play a carrier SO BAD right now.

Good news! They're boring and underpowered.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Phoenix/Omaha surprise torp broadsides are awesome.

Not that I miss them now that I'm onto the Cleveland because dem guns :hellyeah:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where are the ship skins located?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here's how to fight a Cleavland while in an Omaha/Phoenix:

Don't.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Super quick and dirty but :catdrugs:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

lol the Cleavland is like a little battleship. Solo a Miyogi sure why the hell not?

Also:

It's like the game punished me for being super efficient with my shots while dunking the poo poo out of another cruiser :mad:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Cleavland is such a good ship, god drat. The constant rain of those 4x3s is just nuts, they melt everything.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

1 Fuso, 1 Miyogi, 2x Omahas and a Cleveland :mmmhmm:

The Cleveland is a god drat beast

Too bad you can't stop idiots on your team from driving in one end of the cap and out of the other because they'd rather draw and maybe get a kill than just win. Sure I'll cross the map to stop a cap in our base and kill a Fuso, an Omaha, and a Cleveland along the way but god forbid you just hit the loving brakes on your battleship while you're in the enemy cap so we can win.

Hammerstein posted:

I usually get good results in a DD when I stick with the main battle line.

Pro Tip: Do this in every ship: profit

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I feel like carriers in general should just get more squadrons. Keep the number of TB/DB squads low, but give them a lot more fighters or make DBs more multi role. Just give them more poo poo to manage, make the first part of the game about dueling out air-superiority while keeping your bombers hidden, then about taking out enemy ships. Give them the ability to generate a squadron or two of their choosing over the course of the game.

I had 6 squadrons of planes fly over my cruiser last game as they headed towards the enemy and it looked just fantastic and made me wish the skies were filled with way more poo poo in general.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Since when can you lose turrets beyond the point of repair? I've played up to Tier V-VI in all 3 lines and have never had that happen, yet last game I lost two of my cleveland's turrets and they just wouldn't repair. I've lost plenty of turrets but I always just pop a repair and they come right back up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

You always could. It doesn't usually happen with HE damage (which is how turrets and other poo poo usually gets damaged) but if someone blasts them with AP there's a pretty decent chance they're gonna be toast.

I guess I just got lucky and never had it happen until just now.

Also torpedoes should come with a loving baby lock that doesn't allow someone to fire them into the path of a friendly ship because jesus christ pubbies are loving idiotic when it comes to just spamming torpedoes at ships regardless of whether or not there's friendlies nearby, especially when they're firing them from 8-9K away

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

At the very least, I feel like there should be a audio indicator if you're in the path of friendly torps. One that isn't range based, so if a teammate fire torps in your path you get a beeping that lets you know it the moment you enter the danger zone.

It's really annoying to be duking it out and have idiots in DDs just spamming torps as fast as they can hoping to hit something, because 9/10 DD drivers are really loving bad at the game. Cool in addition to having to plan my maneuvers minutes in advance I have to look out for friendly torps as well as enemy ones :jerkbag:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Apparently if you pop Defensive Fire as a TB/DB group is going in on an attack run, it causes the aircraft to panic and make their Torpedoes or bombs go wild and not end up exactly where they were aimed? Or so I am told, I got a chance to try it out last round as a carrier was going after me and it did seem that the spread of the attack I popped it against was really wide. Not exactly a big sample size but can anyone confirm that's actually a thing?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

santanotreal posted:

It essentially makes carriers even worse. Your divebombs will all miss because of this. Haven't seen its affect on torps yet though.

A carrier just learned the hard way this is a thing

Fuso, Cleavland, Phoenix, Omaha. :unsmigghh:

Killed the carrier while I had about 300 health left as he launched his last TB squadron.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It doesn't really seem like crits are rolls a much as they are "hitting the right thing with a penetrating shot"

Like the cleveland can hammer dozens of hits onto a Kongo but I don't think I've ever critted one because the guns just don't penetrate into the juicy bits

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

The stock hull is meh but in a few rounds you should have the upgraded hull which allows you to bring 8(?) Guns to bear on either side, plus backup torps and suddenly the ship really kicks rear end. The Phoenix is a premier destroyer hunter, especially since the individual guns give you a huge margin of error against a weaving destroyer, but the sheer volume of them means you can deal with any cruiser short of a Cleveland if you're smart. Stay the heck away from BBs though, just play screen for your bigger ships.

It's all gravy once you get that hull. Then you get the Omaha which is just a beefier/better Phoenix.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There actual citadel hitbox is pretty small and buried deep within the hull of the ship and there's a ton of poo poo between it and the outermost hitboxes. Someone posted the.picture that showed the hitboxes a few pages ago. If you're shooting at a larger ship (CA -> BB) you're really unlikely to get through all that to a citadel. You're a lot more likely to get citadel hits against ships of similar size because you can pen the armor to the juicy bits. If you're in a CA shooting at a DD you're gonna get a lot of citadel hits simply by shooting the midsection of the DD at any range. Against another CA you need to be more careful about shot placement.

I wish there were more fire control options. I would really like to have individual aiming of turrets or groups of them and it would be nice to be able to set, say, one turret to fire HE while the others fire AP. I often find myself wishing I could pre-emptively order the aft turrets on a ship to begin swinging around to the opposite side in preparation for a turn, while keeping my fore turrets pointed at my target the whole time. Its probably too much to ask given its a cartoon ships game but hey

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I hereby declare excessive gun micromanagement as Turret's syndrome.

Excessive gun management is like half the game though, especially while driving a Battleship.

Daktari posted:

Still a catchy line :)

:agreed:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 20, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PirateBob posted:

The Omaha is pretty great :)

edit: anyone tried retraining a commander to a different ship? Is it worth the trouble?
Yeah it really is, especially if you're retaining a high skill commander. You have to earn some "retraining" xp but it's still much much faster than training a new commander up to, say, rank 3.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Not exactly the same, but they do top out at 203mm. The best part is you start this experience at tier 6. The cleveland still hangs out with 152s. Not only that, but the aoba also has a quad tube on each side fitted with 10km range torps.

Yeah the cleveland only has 152s.

12 of them.

Firing at 7.5(8.2?) rpm.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I actually sorta agree with this. I have a tier 5 of every class except destroyers, so at least I've gotten my feet wet, and I'm still thinking it's kinda... shallow? Sorta. On the surface, it only really has one game mechanic, and that's leading targets. I'm thinking the real mechanic might be deciding which targets to lead though. I've seen a lot of pubbies complain about how "there's no balance between classes" and well, no, there isn't, and that's intentional, because I think they intended for the way the different classes support each other to be a game mechanic as well. Unfortunately though it's not, because pubbies are illiterate retards and don't understand such things.

As far as the armor discussion goes, so far as far as I'm concerned it might as well be RNG. Outside of knife range (where you don't really want to go unless you have torps) you can't really reliably hit anywhere specific anyway so you just spam shots and hope for a lucky hit.

Lol this is so wrong. You should actively be trying to dump long range shots onto turrets or in the middle over the citadel as most people never try to dodge at long range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I definitely miss torps on the Cleveland. The guns more than make up for it but I found the torps on the phoenix/Omaha incredibly useful interrupting the attack runs of destroyers that got too close.

Also for the rare chance at battleship torpedo shame and kill.