Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A teammate in a DD started a match by intentionally sideswiping my South Carolina so I sank him. Justified Y/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just played a game each of the new tier 1 cruisers. AP is amazing in both. Or maybe armor is just awful at tier 1.

Edit: the German tier 2 cruiser with commander upgrades is basically a faster St Louis.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 19, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't know what people are doing to stay alive and do that kind of damage but at my meager skill level closing to within 3km for a torpedo strike is just begging for a violent death. I am do done with the Russian destroyers.

In my second game with the Hermelin I managed to sink an enemy the instant he appeared by lobbing all four shells directly onto his deck. A little "9000" floated up and he never got a shot off.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ I would love an answer to this. I am a good BB captain but for the life of me I cannot get one kill in the Derpski.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Wyoming feels like a precision machine to me after the South Carolina but I know what you mean. I usually use HE until I get under 10km with other battleships then switch to AP, switching back if destroyers get closer.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Same with xDANGERvRANGERx. Sank me before we ever saw the enemy.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just got a New York and I'm getting absolutely destroyed in tier V-VII matches. I got so frustrated I rebought a Hermelin, upgraded it and stuck my best German captain in. As long as I stay a safe distance it's a brutal killing machine. Frequent citadels, slow stupid opponents, just fun all around. Over 1000 free XP every match basically. In a few days I'll go back to the higher tier matches and die again but for now I'm in heaven.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's fine, I just got bumped into higher tier matches and don't have the skills to compete.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Pretty mediocre compared to you guys but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Any tips on getting citadels? I keep aiming for mid-ship at the waterline but can't reliably hit them. I've pretty much given up on German ships above Tier I. All of the fines were retribution for idiots ramming or shooting me first.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
From a team chat last game:

quote:

Why is the sea so large?

Tears of Karlsruhe captains.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I upgraded to a Minekaze and was all disappointed in the stats. On paper it looked like a serious downgrade. Then I played it and got 2000 xp my first game. What a fun little greyhound. I finally get why people play IJN.

Also, this happened in a 7v7:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ramjb's Warspite video is seriously making me want to buy one. Is it still that good or has it been nerfed?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I finally got my Cleveland last night and that thing positively shits on destroyers. What a glorious ship.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yesterday I got sick of grinding the Karlsruhe and sold it to buy a Mutsuki. Today I got a big fat 2M credit secret santa payout. I regret nothing, except the loss of my Minekaze.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Tried a game in the Storozhevoi for auld lang syne. The other team totally ignored their own cap zone.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Best I've ever done without Premium. I didn't even cap our initial spot. I did a full 360 around a 4-cap two brothers and then turned around to re-cap A. The torpedo strikes were just opportunity shots at the end and the shots landed were me being retarded and trading rounds with a Gnevny right at the start. We would have won anyway but this way I robbed my teammates of the XP finished the game in a reasonable time.

Go Mutsuki Go!

Also, I just finished Japanese Destroyer Captain. Thank you thread for the recommendation.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Staying alive until endgame is a big one.

You can find your torp range and detectability range by hovering your mouse over the appropriate icons. If you have a ship with a longer torp range than detectability (and insane skills), you can do things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaMQ8MqaK0

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

The New Mexico is a sidegrade from the New York, it has a better gun layout, but the hull is worse, and you're up a tier. Disappointed in it after how much people talked it up as the Cleveland-killer.

The New Mexico is glorious if you use it to hammer ships on their beam instead of doing suicide runs down Torpedo Alley. No battleship is going to perform how you want in that situation.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Running up to melee range of destroyers and torp carrying cruisers is not the proper way.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That happened to me recently. My laundry timer went off so I ran down stairs to take care of business, came back mid match to kill a CA in our cap zone and a DD who suicide rushed me. The DD got all huffy in chat and said "nice shooting, bot."

I'm a jerk but it's my teammates who should be chastising me, not the doofus who rushed a full health Kongo with a half health Gnevny.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
After upgrading to the Hatsuharu (goodbye all my credits!) I'm seriously thinking screw Tier VI and above, I'm going to get an Isokaze and beat on newbies for the rest of my WoWS days.

Then I had a high caliber + arsonist game with my Cleveland and got to Rank 17 and I'm not mad anymore.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Gnevny can citadel a Pensacola. loving rock.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just played a ranked game in the Hatsuharu where I captured both areas and got the only kill for my team. gently caress teammates forever.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

I just played a ranked game in the Hatsuharu where I captured both areas and got the only kill for my team. gently caress teammates forever.

Sold the Hatsuharu for an Isokaze. Got back 1.5M credits to blow on Colorado upgrades and this happened:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

The Derzki is good, the Izyaslav is mediocre, the Gnevny is bad, the Ognevoi looks worse, so you need to push on through a lot of poo poo after the Derzki before you get to another decent ship in the Kiev.

The Gnevny and the Ognevoi are awesome if you watch a few youtube videos instead of just rushing ahead to duel Americans.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Correct, you cannot duel cruisers with destroyers.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
In an act of Christian mercy, my jackass ally threw himself across the path of my torpedos, saving an enemy battleship and costing us the game.

Also every god drat game today has featured a heavy amount of sky cancer. I'm getting close to uninstalling it.

Edit: I take it back. Just had a 2600 xp win in the Ognevoi.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 1, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Well I just got solo warrior. I'm finally that guy. Feels good man.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MoraleHazard posted:

What ship were you in?

Also, I kind of move around where I think a personal good game is depending on circumstances. If I do just my HP in damage while driving my Mogami in a Tier X match, that's a great game in my opinion, but just my HP in my Nuremberg in a Tier VI match is a meh game.

Minekaze, which makes it a lot easier.

It was really like shooting fish in a barrel. A Tier III cruiser with 1000 hp left turned around to stop the cap but he ate a torpedo without ever seeing me.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
From his individual ship stats I infer that he is just another yolo destroyer player. There's one on every team.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you hit 'x' to select (or deselect) a torpedo target, you will get a guide telling you where to aim. If your opponents are stupid (and at Tier II-III they are), they will maintain course and speed and eat your torpedoes like hungry hungry hippos.

Also, watch the 10-kill Isokaze video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaMQ8MqaK0

Edit: I was told the Colorado had decent AA, and I just got my final hull, but I only shot down 3 planes despite being totally destroyed by bombs. Are tier IX planes harder to hit?

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 10, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Farragut AP cannot penetrate a Furutaka. I tried for a really long time from within 7km while waiting for my torpedoes to reload and not one single shot would take, even 90 degrees on to the side.

Since then my destroyer AP adventures have been in Russian boats only. The Farragut is back to lighting fires on battleships and defending cap zones.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The North Carolina is the battleship I have been waiting my whole life for. Finally the grind pays off.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just got a Bathyscrap with a little fishy captain and god drat it I am going to play.

Edit: holy cow you get flags just for playing!

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 1, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
NTRabbit joins in his New Mexico?

VVV Sounds like they had the worst team.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 15, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I swear I played at least a dozen battleship games today, won zero of them, and ended up in the top three in every one.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If we're loving on mid tier, I gotta say the Texas(New York) and Minekaze are my two faves. I have 14 point captains in them, which helps, but those two ships are basically why I play WoWS. My Iowa isn't nearly as fun.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My doubloons seem to be trickling down unaccountably. I checked all my ships and none of them have auto-resupply enabled for the repair upgrades. Is there something I'm missing?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I splurged on a Campbeltown and it is just adorable. Like a really playful puppy with razor teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
There is a British combo pack for the Battle of Jutland anniversary. Good thing I got a Campbeltown yesterday or I'd be seriously tempted to drop $50.