Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Does this run on the same, stupid lovely engine as World of Tanks? The games don't look that good, but they always run like crap, even if you tweak them to low-spec. I remember World of Warplanes somehow made things run even worse, so I'm not too optimistic about my toaster's chances of running this.

MoraleHazard posted:

What made warplanes a disaster?

Wargaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I hope Bismarck is a crappy tier 7 and they go with the nutty H-series designs for 8-10.

N-No :negative:

loving German battleships in Navy Field. The hitboxes were bigger than the damned boat. Someone could miss you completely, hit the ocean, and kill you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I hope the wait isn't too long. If the EU guys already heard back, we should get accepted soon. :ohdear:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Just got my acceptance email. Check your inboxes, Amerigoons. :getin:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Wargaming screwed up and made a fun game, nobody tell them or they'll gently caress it up. I'm amazed it even runs on a PC with no graphics card.

First game out with torps, I wasn't sure how to fire them. Fired a full salvo by accident, and still killed an enemy boat, who was mad. Torpedoes are great.

I have no idea what I'm doing in any part of this game, but my bullets hit the enemy more often than not, which means I'm always doing alright for myself. Click boats.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

If I understand correctly, you want to use AP shells for long range combat for the extended range and plunging damage against deck armor. You also want them at short range, because you'll have nice, flat shots at the enemy hulls to puncture all the clanky bits in their floaty parts.

At medium range where you can't plunge into the deck armor from above, and where you don't have a good angle for direct fire into their belts, you switch to HE?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Battleships are pretty fun. I couldn't hit anything at first, and I was out of position because I was playing way too conservatively. Then half my team died, and the enemy got a significant number advantage on us, which solved my problem of not having enough enemies to shoot at.

It was very frustrating to watch the water going ploosh ploosh ploosh around the enemy ships every time I missed, but holy poo poo, when you hit a destroyer with those guns it explodes like the fourth of July. :911:

When the enemy ships were getting awfully close, I still had enough armor to soak up a number of shells and a handful of torpedoes. At that range, in that caliber, even if I missed I couldn't miss. Closing with a battleship without a smoke screen is an awful idea, unless they're terrible.

This game is a lot more fun than it should be, for something so simple.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I was looking in the game options, and it says 'hold control to use secondary (AAA?) weapons'. I do that, but I never get anything but a cursor. I'm only in tier 3. Do my ships just not have AAA yet?

What's with those secondary guns that jut out from the belt of the first battleship? Do those fire like all the other guns whenever I blast a salvo at a target in their line of fire, or do they just stick out and look stupid?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

srb posted:

One feature I actually miss from NavyField is mounting different turrets and launchers directly, and deciding the ammo loadout. That was always fun, I thought. Too bad it was a part of the entire awful system. It would be fun if you could do stupid things with the mountings and gun options.

At least it prevents pubbies from doing stupid poo poo with their ships. A durr loving durr, I'm not going to put any main guns on my Deutschland CA because I'm using it as a torpedo platform. :downs: Some stupid configurations could work really, really well, but most people were too awful to do it correctly.

How do the spotting mechanics actually work in this game? What about smoke? I'm never entirely certain when my DD is concealed by smoke. Does firing the main guns cause the smoke to stop?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The one thing I really hate about the spotting system is how ships can just 'appear' from behind an island. I've had destroyers pop into existence at point blank range, well clear of an island they were coming around, where I really should have seen them sooner. Either the game is doing a poor job of showing the leading edge of the smoke screen, my settings are messing with it, or it's spotting system fuckery.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SuperSix posted:

jesus ive had 5x as much fun playing my first game as WoT.

So if i like torps then Japanese destroyers are the way to go?

Japanese cruisers, too. You can lay down lots of torps at long range and just kind of turn a lot of channels into minefields for the enemy team. You don't even have to aim them well at long range, because if someone stumbles into one, there's a good chance they won't turn fast enough to avoid it. Torp spotting distance is very low.

I don't know if I should be using HE shells against carriers, but I do know it's hilarious when I shoot HE into their below deck and watch them burst into flames.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The islands are the worst because trying to turn the first battleship is like trying to steer a 1950's Greyhound with your drat teeth. I don't mind a couple of them, smartly placed to break up the action, but when they're all over the place they completely nullify the long range gimmick of the battleship.

When I was manuvering around one set of them, I misjudged a turn, and though I didn't crash into an island, I was stuck in such a way that I couldn't go forward and I couldn't back up fast enough to really do anything. All I could do was reverse at 2 knots and duke it out with the 3 ships barreling down on me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I wouldn't mind the maps that are crammed full of islands nearly so much if so many of the ships didn't handle like complete garbage. Am I going too fast? Too slow? It takes forever for some of the longer ships to do a turn, which basically fucks you if you go into many areas of the map, or get too close to the border.

On many maps, it's fine. Some of them are claustrophobic though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They could just make the maps bigger and widen the gaps between the larger islands. Or they could make the borders bigger, and more open, so the smaller ships can cut through the middle and weave through the islands while the big boats make the choice of the open ocean or the more crowded areas.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I'm laughing, because if anything, islands hosed the small ships in Navy Field. They restricted your turning ability, which limited where you could go. It was much easier to pick off a DD stuck in a channel than some rear end in a top hat doing the Tokyo Drift at 70 knots in the open ocean.

I killed Iowas and Montanas with destroyers all the time, because they were bad, and they panicked when you got in close. It was fantastic when you braved a storm of BB fire only to go broadside with them at the last second, so you could slam dunk all your torps straight into their face. People would get pissssssssed.

Most of NFs balance problems were related to the horrible crew mechanics and lovely matchmaking system. The spread in this game is much, much better.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I don't know how to hit anything on a ship on purpose, except for the ammo-racks, but I had my first magazine penetration. Fired a salvo in my BB, and flat out killed a St. Louis that was almost at 100%. :allears:

I'm kind of disappointed there isn't some kind of celebratory music when you set off someone's magazine.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Does the game ever stop being just non loving stop smokescreens of invisible ships firing torpedoes out of them because every Tier 2/3 game has consisted of that, over and over.

I always see like one or two people doing this in every game, but I've yet to see more than that. Fortune frowns upon you tonight, ship brother.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's every Tier 2/3 game I've played in a nutshell:

Most of the destroyers I see are too drat stupid to use their smoke, or they blow through it in the start of the game. I just hang back and let my teammates go first, either harassing with guns, or with torps. When the smoke gets closer than 3/4ths of my range, I just scoot away.

Then the smoke runs out and the DD explodes because everyone shoots it.

I kind of like smoke, as a mechanic. If you were running a platoon of DDs together, you could run smoke screens for each other and just do a continuous line of smoke straight to the enemy carriers. :v:

SuperSix posted:

drat, the St. Louis has a lot of pointy things out the side

All the old warships look like some Warhammer poo poo. It's hilarious.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

will_colorado posted:

the gently caress?

I would love something like that. In Navy Field, there was a Japanese BB/CV hybrid based on the Ise. It was a carrier that had 6x16" guns. It's guns had shorter range than a lot of the BBs it fought, and it didn't carry very many planes compared to most other CVs. Most people loaded it down with bombers.

I filled mine with fighters. And I used them to maul every scout plane in the area, so anyone fighting me couldn't actually see me.

CVs could carry a finite number of torpedoes and bombs and such for their planes, but if you didn't have any bombers or torpedo bombers, you could load up with ship-based torpedoes instead. And it carried a loving lot of them.

So it was a carrier, with battleship guns, that carried a mountain of the best torpedoes in the game, and it could go over 60 knots.

NF was a crazy loving game

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Planes are so fiddly about when they will and when they won't drop their torps in manual mode, but when it goes right...

:gizz:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

In case anyone was wondering, you change your aircraft load-out by researching new plane configurations on the module tree. Some of them have 2xTorp Bombers and 1xFighters, or 2xFighters, and 1xTorp Bombers, for example.

Playing carriers is fun. It's a lot like playing an RTS game, except you drive the base around. A lot of the same tactics that were valid for Navy Field carriers are very valid here, but the fighter combat is a lot less stupid in WoW.

Many enemy carriers obligingly sit dead still, in their drat spawn ( or on the border ), so if you find one with your bombers, you will probably gently caress them up.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

An accurate depiction of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Sdr4eSEdU

I saw him today, and ran interference with the enemy capital ships so he and another destroyer could take a run at a carrier. :allears:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.

Fire one gun at a time, especially if you're not broadside to the enemy. If you're going diagonally, for example, you'll want to aim the front and rear guns at different points.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I have a fair amount of success using my Japanese torps as area-denial weapons. This is especially useful when my team are a bunch of dickheads that don't do anything to secure the cap and I'm the only one poking four or five ships by myself.

You get less big kills that way, but it's a good tactic when charging in would only result in your death. Later on in the game, when the ships thin out a bit, I still have enough HP to play around.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The only upgrades I bother with are the ones that prevent my magazine from exploding 1/5th of the time. The other ones, I don't really care about because I'm a filthy casual. If you're in a ship with guns and you're going to get pounded, you might as well make yourself more durable.

Carriers need some work, balance wise. In my first carrier, I felt horribly outclassed when going against higher ships. Mostly because the carriers had much better fighters, and the ships had much better AAA. I bleed planes like crazy in those games.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

A lot of old tanks people are popping up in this game. After a chorus of 'gently caress GOONS', a number of people on both teams spent like 5 minutes chatting about MS-W, and ChairInACasket. :rip: Chair.

Dive bombers are scary good against DDs. I can't tell if I was getting hammered by manual aim or if it was auto, but a carrier I was chasing down kept launching squads of DBs to kill me. I weaved, I turned, I twisted around, but there was nothing I could do to shake them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

There were a couple old timey sgle people in the round just now, sorry if you were driving the myogi that I double crit sunk 30 seconds into the round.

I am driving a Myogi right now, but I was just on a team with BauBau and some others so I think I was on your team. I didn't explode that round.

Round after I got one of my turrets destroyed and drowned in a sea of torpedo planes, though. The Myogi's complete lack of AAA and the weird spacing of it's turrets makes it kind of annoying.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Going heavy on the fighters is pretty legit for a carrier. I had a game where I only did around 6K damage, but I shot down over thirty planes and took home 1.6K experience and 100k credits. It also kept our team's capital ships from getting wrecked because I bled two carriers dry of bombers.

Dive bombers are weird on automatic. They can hit almost anything, at least once or twice. That makes them great for dealing with destroyers. Against other targets, uh... They don't do much damage, but they crit well, and start fires.

I tried using the auto-aim from multiple angles. Against a Kongo, from behind, with a perfect run-up, they nailed 4/4 bombs. Same ship, same speed, but from the front, they only hit 2/4. Full speed DD from the side, one hit.

Stationary carrier, from the front, 1/4. :psyduck:

Either the automatic bombs are RNG as gently caress, or your bombs have a greater chance to hit from certain directions and suffer a penalty from others.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

The sooner pubbies learn that part of their job is AA duty the better, yes?

Pubbies never learn, but yes. Ships in the earlier tiers should have a little bit better AAA than they have, in general.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Poil posted:

Do dive bombers have any use beyond being sent in first to hopefully set fire to the ship you're about to torp? It's amazing how often pubbies blow their repair on the fire and then can't do anything about the flooding. Destroyers seem way too small and fast to be hit by bombers.

Dive bombers on auto can hit DDs. The low damage they do isn't such a big deal when you're harassing some rear end in a top hat destroyer.

They also launch faster than torp bombers ( I think ), and are alright for crits. Sometimes you get lucky and blow up a BB's turret, which is funny, except when it happens to you.

I wouldn't be surprised if they buff dive bomber damage at some point. It could be twice what it is right now, and it would still be fine.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I guess I had way too much torpedo time in Navy Field, because I never even thought to use the indicator. I'm not exactly the torp-snipe champion, but considering I've played less than six hours in a DD, I've got pretty good accuracy going on.

It doesn't even bother me that my torps can be hit or miss at long range, because so are my guns. I want to say there shouldn't be an indicator, but it's of such dubious worth that it's hard to care, especially when DDs already get clowned all the time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I have attacked one Kongo in my tier 4 DD. I saw it in a channel between two islands on my mini-map, went around them, came straight at it from the front, and blasted a full load of torps into it's side as I passed by it. I think I took 2k damage, but completely and utterly destroyed him.

The worst thing about DDs is that they seem a bit slow, sometimes. They just aren't that fast. Maybe they could be a little faster, considering their whole gimmick revolves around agility and stealth? :shrug:

But they're completely optional. You don't have to play them, so, don't, if you hate them so much.

I wonder when the game's going to go into open beta, or release, for that matter? I enjoy playing it, but I don't want to play too much when I know all my neat toys are just going to get taken away.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I'm kind of sad that the Kita's a premium, but given the size of the maps in this game, I'm also happy I won't have to dodge 4 Kitas on both teams every game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Less good and useless poo poo are not actually interchangeable concepts, I'm afraid.

Hypothetically, were I to have seen a tier ten version of it with 20 km torps, I'm unnaturally confident saying it would have sucked massively and promoted unfun degenerate gameplay.

It's not surprising, since they did in Navy Field, too. It was kind of amusing being the rear end in a top hat in the Kita, and it was sweet sweet joy to one-shot one in your battleship, but literally every game had between 2-4 Kitas.

Per side.

On a map with no islands ( or one tiny one in the center ). :suicide:

Many minutes of every game were spent dodging wall after wall of torpedoes, and that's not even counting all the other ships with torpedoes. The islands in World of Warships would mitigate this a lot, but it would still be a sack of festering poo poo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

First game out with the Clemens, bone stock:

Ran toward a large central island and hid behind it, watching my mini-map. Watched until the enemy team was coming around the other side, and then moved in to engage, using the small islands and smoke as cover. Launched some torps at a Phoenix at the edge of my range, no hits.

Dodged the Phoenix, worked in close to a Fuso that was distracted by another BB. I set him on fire with my guns, then hit him with somewhere between 5-8 torpedoes, doing a shitload of damage in the process. Then I set him on fire again, and a capital ship finished him off after I died.

How terrible.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Why would destroyers counter battleships? They're support ships. It seems pretty obvious to me. They've got smoke they can use to lay down cover for other ships. The Japanese have good torps and maneuverability to harass fleets at long distance, or they can gamble, and risk everything on a potentially devastating point-blank attack. American destroyers carry guns that can mince Japanese destroyers, and can pose enough of a threat that they can take pressure off of capital ships. They can also cap in smoke screens, which is annoying as hell.

Light cruisers and heavy cruisers straddle the line between BBs and DDs. They're general purpose ships ( with some exceptions ) that allow for somewhat flexible play.

Battleships can take and deal a lot of punishment, but their long reload times and so-so maneuverability means they can be destroyed by 'lesser' ships, if they isolate themselves and fail to play to their strengths.

The carrier's job is either to prevent their team's capital ships from getting owned by planes, or to kill the enemy's battleships because the ones on their team fell asleep at the wheel. Sometimes both.

Neither the carrier or the battleship can do their jobs without cruisers and destroyers doing their's, and they're really strong when they play together as a team.

DDs aren't meant to go out by themselves and pick fights with capital ships. BBs and CA's entire gimmick is 'Lets put a bunch of guns on this thing and kill the poo poo out of those other floating fuckers over there'.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Why even have destroyers if they aren't supposed to be able to wreck something? Japs have cruisers with plenty of guns and torpedoes on them already just delete DDs then.

Uhhhh they can wreck things, you just have to play them with a bit of finesse?

You might as well ask 'Why even have light tanks?' in games like War Thunder and World of Tanks. Their guns are often weaker than everything they fight, their armor is piss-poor, and they sacrifice everything for speed. Even the nastiest light tanks usually can't go toe to toe with something ( or shouldn't ), unless it can't be helped, you're fighting an idiot, or you're confident in your ability to win.

And yet, they're really, really fun, and they can be amazing when they're played properly.

I've had games where I've killed two BBs and wounded other ships in a DD. I've also had games where I took a risk ( or did something stupid ), and got wrecked in a single salvo.

Even just ignoring their damage potential, destroyers can go places and fight in areas that are death traps for larger ships. They can get on the caps first. They can lay down screens for their team to advance in safety.

If Wargaming is smart, they'll make both teams a pyramid where most ships are cruisers and destroyers, with a few CA, BB, and CV up top. It would probably make for more interesting and varied games.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

James Garfield posted:

"You're a support ship" isn't a great excuse. Battleships are more effective at support than other classes - the biggest threat to a battleship by far is another battleship, and the best counter to that threat is, again, a battleship.
It takes a better player to win against a battleship in a non battleship, and the better players are most useful in battleships where they can influence the game more.

You could say the same thing about CAs. Why even have them in the game? Why play them? They're objectively worse than battleships, but sit in similar roles.

Every ship is a trade-away for something. BBs trade speed and flexibility for guns and armor. Cruisers straddle the middle ground. DDs go to the other extreme. Each have different ship abilities, and each has very specific things they're good at. If you don't like them, just play the ships you think are the best.

It's wrong to say that BBs are everything. There are a number of maps with tons of islands, with cap zones amongst them. Destroyers excel in these areas. They can get to the cap first, take it, and deal a serious blow to any BB stupid enough to just sail straight into them.

I like destroyers just fine, and I enjoy that they require a clever sort of gameplay to really make the most of them. :shrug:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Your average carrier player may as well not be there

It takes a lot of skill to basically afk all game long and occasionally click a boat. Those torp bombers aren't going miss targets all by themselves!

Usually when I'm in my carrier, I'm moving around, watching my team, the mini-map. I roll fighter-heavy, so I can tie up the enemy's fighters with one squad and screw over their bombers with the other. Then I direct my bombers after whatever capital ships are engaged. Either they're super concentrated on their fight and won't notice my bombers, or they do, and try to dodge, which gives my team time to pound on them.

If the game is really close, I try to communicate with my team. Do you guys need fighters? I'm sending fighters. I've got bombers enroute to bomb that BB you're fighting, hang in there.

Normally I don't hear poo poo in return, except whining. I liked the BB that whined about a lack of fighter cap in a game where I shot down 36 planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

CV surely do need some rebalancing, the tier difference needs to be adjusted or MM fixed and I'd say most of them need a DPM increase somehow.

All they have to do is decrease the points spread between fighter planes. Having more planes on hand is already a huge advantage for a higher tier CV, and the increase of planes between tiers is huge. Bombers and torpedo bombers also get increases to damage, hitpoints, and speed.

I don't think CVs need an increase in damage potential, it's just that most CV drivers are bad. Going up against a good CV pilot when you're in a big boat is headache inducing.