Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Tahirovic posted:

The disparity between air power is what I mean, if you're up against a CV a tier higher than you, your fighters will get shredded even in a 2 vs 1 situation. They need to either fix that or fix the MM for it. Fixing it with health alone might not be a good idea since plane hp needs to increase to counter ever increasing AA with tiers.

Maybe I am just bad with my Sapian but I really don't feel like I manage to do that much damage, hard to tell without total damage being displayed on the scoreboard tough. On most maps if you want to stay safe you can launch 1 torpedo attack roughly every 2 minutes, so that's what 4 torpedo hits every 2 minutes? If it's more then I just assume that you're really good and probably shouldn't be taken into account when it comes to balance, since you'd do well in any boat.

I'm not that good at playing my CV, but I have my moments. When I do well, I crush it. Every flight of torpedo bombers has the ability to completely wreck up any capital ship you throw them up against. Even if you fail to kill them outright, a good run leaves them broken and bloody.

The problem with boosting them is that they're already real bastards when you play them to their full potential. Dive bombers need work, yes, but torpedo bombers? Those things hurt. Getting sandwiched between two flights of them is basically game over for any BB you throw them against.

If they're boosted further because people can't use them to their fullest potential, the people that can do well with them right now will crush it. It's the same with BBs. You could argue that the long reload on their guns is a great burden for people that can't aim, but serious balance problems would pop up if BBs were made any stronger.

You can see how much damage you're doing if you linger until the end of a game and check out a detailed report, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

grrarg posted:

I think the main problem with carriers at the moment is the lack of a tutorial or firing range to practice torpedo bombing. It is hard to get the hang of the timing for manual drops when you start with one wing of bombers and have several minutes of flight time and reloading between drops. There is way less margin for error and feedback for mistakes than the slowest reloading and traversing battleship guns.

Agreed. I can't honestly say I'd have known about manual mode or how to make it work if I there weren't posts on the forum, and gameplay vids on Youtube I went looking for. They should just put tutorial videos embedded in the game, under help. 'This is how you launch torps manually, this how you work your planes, this is the difference between HE/AP,' etc. Simple things that are easily translated, and transmit as much information through pure visuals as possible.

But even if that happened, I doubt more than a few people would take advantage of it. WG's playerbase has always been thick as poo poo and twice as stupid.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They really should buff the turning speed of guns on the Japanese destroyer. Moving around and evading fire is your primary means of not exploding, but this means you can't use your guns. At all. Sometimes your ship goes so fast that you can't bring your guns on target fast enough to track it and take a shot.

Them having shittier guns than the US DDs is enough, really, they don't also need to be almost useless.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

I manged to get one of the devs in TS via a connection I have and he went to the extent of removing my Cleveland altogether from my account and I can still not launch a loving game. We are going to wait until the server reset at 5AM PDT and cross fingers it fixes itself else who knows.

I've been getting Cleaveland-shaped dicks rammed in and out of my rear end every time I try to play, so you'll get no sympathy from me. :mad:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

lol the Cleavland is like a little battleship. Solo a Miyogi sure why the hell not?

Also:

It's like the game punished me for being super efficient with my shots while dunking the poo poo out of another cruiser :mad:

The Cleve is a real threat to battleships, especially two of them that can actually shoot. Being under the guns of those things loving sucks.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

zxqv8 posted:

What I'm gleaning from this thread is that the game is suffering most of the same balance and progression and pubbie issues that World of Tanks did and still does?

These IJN ships sound like loving dogshit.

I have no love for Wargaming, but this is a legit fun game. It has some issues, but it's still a closed beta, so I can't find myself too pissed off about them. Mostly because it's a fun game.

IJN ships aren't bad. Everyone complains about their destroyer turrets because they're slower than dog poo poo, but you can still use them, and their torps are pretty cool. Their cruisers are kind of neat, and don't suffer from the turret issues that their DDs do.

It's kind of hard to really weigh nation balance right now, because there's a bunch of stuff missing. It doesn't really matter anyways, because every nation fights together.

I really hope the gun portion of the game doesn't turn into WoT bullshit where you want to kill yourself if you're stuck with a stock gun. It's nice that stock ships are actually threatening and dangerous.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I guess I just got lucky and never had it happen until just now.

Also torpedoes should come with a loving baby lock that doesn't allow someone to fire them into the path of a friendly ship because jesus christ pubbies are loving idiotic when it comes to just spamming torpedoes at ships regardless of whether or not there's friendlies nearby, especially when they're firing them from 8-9K away

Sometimes I feel bad when I launch a spread of torps and accidentally hit a friendly ship.

But since I take pains not to do it, it's usually their fault. If I'm laying down torp spreads in the Kuma and a friendly ship decides to steer right into the danger zone, I don't really care.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I stopped getting mad about being hit by friendly torps after the fifth or sixth game. It's like getting angry about the sunrise. There's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's going to happen every day.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Largepotato posted:

Came across this page listing the causes of US Navy losses.

Submarines
Tang, Formosa Strait, 25 October 1944, Sunk by own torpedo
Tullibee, Off Palau I., 26 March 1944, Sunk by own torpedo

Our torpedoes at the start of the war were sooooo bad. Everyone even remotely interested in US naval combat history probably has an inkling of how bad they were, but I'll supply some details. This all comes from a book I read a year ago, so it might be a little fuzzy.

Everyone knows that US torpedoes failed to actually blow up, which is a pretty huge problem for a torpedo. But why? Well, our torpedoes had two detonators that could be used. The first was magnetic, which would detect when it was near a big metal object ( boat ) and explode. The second option was an impact detonator, which is exactly what it sounds like.

Soon after the war began, skippers found out that the magnetic detonators didn't work for poo poo. They failed. Constantly. Sometimes the torpedoes wouldn't go off at all, and sometimes they'd go off before they were close enough to kill the target. As a result, the US submarine service missed out on significant opportunities.

The submarine captains figured this out, and spread the word that the magnetic warheads were junk. Many of them fell back on the impact detonators...

But the impact detonators were also hosed.

There's a prong-thing that stuck out from the front of the torpedo, so when it struck a solid target, the prong would be pushed in, depress a mechanism, and boom. Sounds simple, right?

Well, the impact detonator was poorly made. If I recall correctly, it was too strong. This meant that when it struck a ship's hull from the 'wrong' angle, it wouldn't generate enough force to depress the explodey bits. The torp would just go 'THUNK' and bounce off harmlessly. This meant that even if you hit a target, there was a good chance your torpedo wouldn't work anyways.

Because this wasn't enough, the torpedo had another problem. It had a gyroscopic navigation system that would keep it running toward the programmed heading. In theory.

In practice, the gyro would mess up. Sometimes this threw the torpedo off target. Sometimes it caused the torpedo to loop back around and hit the goddamned submarine that fired it.

At some point, the skippers start complaining to command that everything about the torpedo is just awful. You'd think they'd fix it right away, right? Nah. They denied it all, stuck their fingers in their ears, and screamed 'lalalala'.

Why? Well. There were a lot of people behind the project that didn't want to admit their super secret awesome torpedo was actually a piece of poo poo. They dragged their feet and ignored the reports of their own officers because they were stubborn, and wanted to save face.

One of the big tests that finally led to them admitting the torpedo was hosed took place in Hawaii. They had a submarine fire a spread of torpedoes at a cliff, the majority of which failed to explode. The warheads also failed to function when dropped from a crane, straight into the ground, from a height of 100 feet.

:itwaspoo:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Burt posted:

Having to play loads of games to get access to more interesting game play? That's a winning strategy right there.

It's really easy to play the handful of matches required to get up the early tiers. I can't imagine it'll be harder than the couple of hours it takes to do it in World of Tanks.

Right now, it only takes a handful of decent games to clear the early ships so

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

sparkmaster posted:

So while I'm desperately waiting for a beta test invite, I'll pose a question.

With all the action items, good and bad, with WoS, how would you all describe the fun factor? Is this a fun game and one worth playing?

Yes. All the ships are fun for different reasons. DDs are fun for going fast and playing cat and mouse. Cruisers are fun for general purpose dickery. BBs are fun for shooting long range and watching big numbers pop up. CVs are fun if you want to indulge in autistic micromanagement.

The only reason I'm not playing right now is because I don't want to get too burned out. I'm sure there will be a wipe when they move from closed to open beta.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

rossmum posted:

I dunno if someone mentioned it and I missed it, but WG just posted a "wink wink" desktop background of the KM Bismarck on the WoWS Facebook page.

If they add that thing before the US BBs and IJN carriers I am going to die.

I would be OK with this, because then I could attack it with torpedo bombers and jam it's rudder.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Just came back to this after taking a break in closed beta, and it's still fun, even if my computer can barely play it... But holy poo poo, the unending amounts of fire and module damage is getting incredibly old. It feels like every hit either screws something up or sends my ship up in flames. It didn't used to be this way. :smith:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On the bright side, I know you love torpedoes, and they still gently caress everything up. They almost always cause drowning, too, since they hit under the waterline. I just pretty much ignore fires, I save it for dead engines, jammed rudders, or floods.

Torps are still pretty cool, but my meager FPS are even more hosed than they were so I miss way more than I used to. Ditto guns.

The strange thing is when I'm chugging along at around 12-17 FPS and I still do as well or better than half my team. I've had games where multiple DD smoke screens have dropped my FPS down to the single digits, but I was still in the top 3. :psyduck:

Did they change AP and HE much? Is it still 'AP for everything you can penetrate, HE for everything you can't / fires?'.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are your system specs? I'm running an i3 that is one or two generations old, 8gb, and a gtx460 OCed to about a gtx560 specs. I have no FPS problems. You might have something other than hardware going on.

AP for CAs and BBs you can pen, HE for DDs and CVs, to my understanding. DDs don't have citadels anymore.

Some office machine that I picked up for a song when my last computer committed suicide. No graphics card. It's some AMD quad core thing that also processes the graphics. It somehow runs Skyrim at 30+ FPS.

It's definitely the computer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The grind gets kind of lovely around tier 4-5, and I imagine it just keeps getting worse. I don't know, because I just keep dropping into games now and then without really grinding the game.

Can't say I really like a lot of the stuff revolving around damage and armor. Fire is absolutely ridiculous. I almost never shoot anything but HE in my cruisers because it's guaranteed to set something on fire, which will force the enemy to blow their repair crew- So I can set them on fire again.

Meanwhile, in my battleship, I can consistently land shells on target... But I don't ever seem to do anything unless I hit them in the citadel. Meanwhile my big stupid ship is made out of kerosene and farts. There's not a lot I can do to mitigate the constant fires that gently caress me sideways the second I engage anything. I wonder why I even bother shooting AP most of the time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

psy.Che posted:

Tier VIII is completely unplayable in Europe right now. Everybody is in their Tirpitz and way too afraid of losing their ship to actually move forward.

Sounds historically accurate for German battleships.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Myogi is some kind of dumb bullshit. It's like they designed a ship wrong as a joke and Wargaming threw it in because they didn't have anything else to put there. The turrets are so far apart and there's only six shots. It's torture trying to hit small boats. It's also a huge target. It has no redeeming features.

The Kawachi was stupid, but at least I could pelt the hell out of whatever strayed into range.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

It feels kind of stupid that a cruiser can just charge my battleship from a fair distance and there isn't a lot I can do about it. They're really annoying to try and hit from the front, especially with the wide spread patterns I'm seeing on my early battleships.

If I try and run they're still faster than me by a fair margin, and I'm often down a number of guns while I wait for my turrets to swing about.

If I just try to swat him down, he'll still set me on fire over and over again and cause a sick nasty amount of damage even if I 'win'.

It's not even like I seek out 1v1s with cruisers. It just happens from time to time when my team gets all spread out and I'm trying to do something useful while they screw around.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

The biggest problem I'm seeing, besides the stupid shot dispersion, is the disparity on damage between a citadel hit and a regular penetration.

I would agree with both of those. The shot dispersion is really bad. I don't expect ( or want ) block shots from NF or anything too predictable, but it feels like the quality of each spread is very random.

Last game I played in my Wyoming, I landed a nice spread right across the deck of a New York. 9 hits. It was incredibly depressing how little damage it did.

Warbadger posted:

To be honest this game is bizzaro-naval combat. In a battleship in this game you don't want a long range (10km+) gunnery duel with a cruiser.

If he charges in to 8km or less (the kind of ranges BBs historically tried not to let cruisers close to) suddenly he can't weave fast enough to avoid fire reliably and you'll be able to drop a few salvos into his lower hull for sick citadel damage.

I know I don't want those kinds of fights with cruisers, but there isn't always something I can do about it. At minimum range I can hit many more shots much more reliably, but if a cruiser is just constantly presenting his nose to me, I'm not going to be landing an incredible amount of shots. Meanwhile, he's constantly pecking me with HE and I'm on fire and everything sucks.

I'm not going to get citadel shots on his nose.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I'm sure it's different for higher tier stuff, it's just the tier 4-ish BBs are kind of bad and very mediocre in terms of damage.

But then I get into my Omaha and creep around islands, sneak up on people, and prank the poo poo out of them. It's hard to be mad when I can just go jump into an Omaha or a Japanese DD and reenact Jaws.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I just had my first good BB game, where I citadel-murdered 4 ships in a row and carried my team to victory. :allears: Battleships are incredibly frustrating ( especially the early ones ), but it feels so awesome when they go right.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

A destroyer tried to come right at my Myogi and torpedo me at point blank range. I countered this by turning straight into him and ramming the gently caress out of him before he could launch.

Probably the most damage my Myogi will ever do in a single attack.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Had a game where me and a random guy were outnumbered something like 3 to 1. We were both beat to poo poo, and far enough away from each other that we couldn't directly help one another with most of our targets. Our team was flipping the gently caress out, mostly at me. The enemy started to cap, things were looking awful, but we pulled together and slapped down everything but a single New York.

As we sailed to go fight it, I congratulated him on playing well. He thanked me. Then we narrowly tag-teamed the New York to death with both of us barely surviving the battle. Between the two of us, we killed 9 ships, and carried our team to a win.

Bless your heart, random ship pubbie. You are way cooler than those other assholes. :911:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

The reason is not that they can't balance submarines, the reason is that the whole idea of submarines fighting warships is really really stupid. Submarine warfare was effective because they went after the supply lines instead of getting trashed by the ships that have more than enough countermeasures against them. They are slow, have a very limited ROF and people should just stop demanding them to be included.

Why do people keep trying to throw realism around in an arcade game anyways? They said the same stuff about submarines in Navy Field, and then they turned out to be the most entertaining thing to happen to that game in forever when they came out. Managing your air ( which determined how long you could stay under ), carefully picking your route, etc, and getting in real close to poo poo all over the biggest ship you could find was fantastic when it worked out.

It was also really funny when you'd mess up, run out of air, and surface in front of the entire enemy team. Every ship would drop what they were doing to shoot the hell out of you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

If the arming range for torpedoes was a bit further away, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Or if they reduced the number of max torp squads you could have up at once. Two is pretty bad, three must be some kind of bullshit.

If I'm paying attention to my surroundings, the only time I really eat poo poo from torp squads is when two of them face gently caress the front of my ship from both sides at the same time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Desiderata posted:

I can't wait for the Nelson class, being able to easily swap between forward quarters when moving into an engagement is going to be really tactically useful.

I keep thinking back to Navy Field and drooling over some of the ships that the Brits got. If they're anything close to their Navy Field proxies, they could be awesome, even without the block shots and bullshit armor.

The Dido and Emerald CLs are both fairly compact, nasty little cruisers. The York CA could be potentially small by heavy cruiser standards, and it's also a mean little thing. I don't know if it's small for a CA, but it's roughly 100 feet shorter than the Baltimore while still packing 8 inch guns.

Then there's the BBs. The Nelson looks like it'll be a tremendous pain in the rear end to deal with when it's coming straight at you. Then you've got some other stuff, like the Revenge ( which might have torpedo tubes ), or the Prince of Wales. I can't wait for Brit gunships.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Warspite was allegedly (unconfirmed) removed because it was overpowered, and I have a hard time imagining a terrible all-guns-forward ship (Izumo can't fire all guns forward). There's also this thing which is pretty slow but has torpedo tubes and a bonkers secondary battery.

:psyduck: Overpowered?

I guess I won't be surprised if Wargaming decides to not put interesting ships in the game for stupid reasons, but as I'm not paying them a dime to play it, it's not like I care that much. And yeah, historically, their torpedoes weren't anything great. Comparable to yank torps.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Is the Furutaka bad, or am I just bad at playing it? It feels like I should be getting more out of it than I do, but most matches end in me going 'Oh look torpedo bombers' and then dying.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Is there anything I can do to make this game load faster? It seems like it takes forever to load anything.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Taco is extremely hit or miss. I had a slew of games where I did mediocre/fair, and then one where I sailed into 3 battleships and sunk 2 of them.

I feel like I either die almost immediately, or I just start tearing strips off of the enemy team. There is no middle ground in the Taco.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My knowledge of the Russian navy in that era is a little hazy, but it isn't particularly flattering. They had a bunch of lovely old boats that sucked and got bombed. Some of them figured out that their lovely boats couldn't get sunk if they ran aground, so they did that, and used them for artillery. Then the submarines did some stuff.

The Germans were also pretty good at getting their ships blown up, but at least they built some of them and they were OK I guess.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

When I was playing in closed beta, I was playing on a toaster that struggled to run the game at 20 FPS. Even still, I loaded the game much much faster than it's loading now. It was puzzling to me that the game would load so slowly on a computer that's much better.

Then someone told me that changing their textures from high to medium made them load much faster. I tried it, and my load times have been cut in half.

If anyone else is having load time problems, give that a shot.

Sperglord Actual posted:

TIL a New York can oneshot a Wyoming at max range with no citadel hits. :supaburn:

The Wyoming is kind of miserable. Those guns must have no penetration because AP just slides right off every BB I shoot it at. I thought it was me, right up until I took out Myogi and started punching citadels at 20KM.

At least it's really fun for shooting torrents of HE at squishy boats.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

After fighting through the Myogi, I finally got the Kongo.

What a nice boat. I loaded AP because I was sure my guns would penetrate the things I shot at, and I was right. It's so nice having real guns that can consistently drive through armor.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

When I got home a few hours ago, I sat down and thought 'gently caress, the first map load times might mess up my doubles on my big ships. Might as well play the Clemson first.'

:captainpop:

I have never carried so hard in any ship. A lot of the ships I killed were other destroyers, but I bagged a BB and harassed a number of much bigger boats with my little gun dingy.

As much fun as I had in the Clemson, I suffered in my Hosho. Getting my double for that thing sucked. The torpedo bombers are worse than the US's. The fighters are worse. Do Japanese carriers get any better, or do they just suck forever?

Whenever I fight a US carrier I feel like a kid trying to wrestle with his dad.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

edit: In case it wasn't apparent, IJN carriers are actually extremely good at fighter cover at those tiers. Partially because their air superiority loadout gets 4 fighter squads, which means they benefit more from the +1 plane skill, partially because WG is loving retarded and made having fast fighters an actual liability in WoWS due to how the Dogfighting skill works. The jet fighters on the Midway get absolutely stomped most of the time by their Hakuryu counterparts due to this.

As long as I can fill the sky with fighters and hound enemy CVs, I'm fine with that. :toot:

I have no idea who's in charge of CV balance, but they suck poo poo at it, and that becomes apparent the second you start playing CVs.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Did the game gain any new players after the "launch"? At all?

They're probably not going to gain a lot of players until they round out the trees a little more. I'm betting there will be a bump when the Germans hit, that's for drat sure.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

I still don't see why the premium ships are priced SO high though. Myself personally, and I'm sure many others, are tempted by some of the ships, but I'm not paying the price of an entire AAA game for a single goddamn ship. I mean, maybe they've run the numbers and decided that the people buying the stupidly expensive premiums makes them more money than if they were priced lower and had more buyers, but I'm rather suspicious of that.

I only ever bought one big ticket premium in World of Tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people spent a lot of money on that game. I spent a fair amount of money on War Thunder over the years, but 20-30 bucks for a really good premium plane, a few weeks of premium time, and 14 bucks worth of in-game currency was a good deal. And that premium earned me experience for advancing my rank, too.

I ground really hard in World of Tanks when it came out, went for premium, all that. World of Warships doesn't interest me in that way. It's fun, and there are times when I'll sit down and play it for a while, but when I think of spending money on it, I think about how beta-y the game feels and how expensive everything is.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

All things considered, I think fighters are always better than bombers. The potential damage of torpedo bombers is huge. If you can keep that off the table you give your team a lot more breathing room, and if the enemy CVs are stupid enough to run pure bombers ( or bomber heavy ), you can run them out of bombers. Not true in the high tiers, I guess, but it seems true enough in the middle tiers.

Of course, all that air supremacy won't matter for beans if your team runs headlong into enemy torpedoes and dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Who the gently caress cares about torpedoes when, as kaesarsosei mentioned, it can gun down even high tier BBs with complete abandon.

Ugh. This is already the worst thing about playing a BB. If you're fighting someone with half a brain, little ships become a huge pain in the rear end. If they just show you their front profile, you're not going to hit them often or reliably. That isn't so bad, but their tiny guns inevitably set you on fire, and then you are hosed.

The only time I feel like my BB really shines is if I'm getting those big citadel hits, and that isn't a sure thing. Anything that isn't a BB will dance around at long range. The spread of the BB's guns only aggravates the problem, especially when you update to a new ship.

The obvious solution is 'stay with your team', but even that isn't a sure thing because it a game and nobody gives a poo poo about anybody else.