Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Just got the game today, really loving the Omaha so far, it has just the right mix of weight of fire and survivability for me to grudge-gently caress all the scout destroyers to death then duck back behind an island and go back to plinking other cruisers from 10-12km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

xthetenth posted:

I'm not sure how much effectiveness doubling shell weight is when a 40mm shell is usually a kill if it hits, and 50% more gun is pretty nice. They'll probably give it nuts stats though.

Speaking of nuts stats, what the hell is up with the 37mm guns on the Grim? Their DPS is huge, I think it might be a compensation for short range or something.

Proximity fuzes were a thing even back then. And most of the time it wasn't the shell itself striking the plane, but the clouds of razor shards given off by the shell when it goes bang. It's how flak guns work. Fill the sky with shards of metal, get it sorta close and cut the plane to pieces. Doubling the shell weight and increasing the throw distance are super huge things.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

James Garfield posted:

Germany didn't have proximity fuses at the time, and I don't think wargaming is taking them into account. I'm sure the 55 mm guns will get nuts stats though.

I only hope they've made Japanese torpedoes more useful by the time they add the Akizuki, I want to play a Japanese built American destroyer :allears:

Yeah, but even simple timed fuzes with twice the mass and 20% more range would be way more scary than a bog standard BOFORS. Especially when the black clouds start showing up way before you expected them to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No, shoot AP at destroyers. I even recommend shooting carriers with AP, just to kill them quicker so their planes don't get to leave period.

Fires are just too random to expect from any given volley. It's ok to try and set fires if you're in a ridiculous shell-slinging ship like the Cleveland/Atlanta/Des Moines/Gearing, but most ships don't shoot fast enough to make the piddling fire damage worth it compared to sick citadel money shots.

Cruisers should try to make sure they aren't the only one fighting a battleship, first and foremost. You can still shoot AP at their vulnerable areas and do ~6000 damage each volley. Again, HE is only useful if you can throw out a billion shells anyways, and the fire damage becomes an added bonus.

At extreme range where you're hitting with 2-3 shells out of a 12 shot volley, HE sometimes gives me better results than AP when shooting at other cruisers or BBs. More fire, module damage, and generally less random damage. AP alternates between like 80 and 1100ish, with the occasional 3k citadel crit. HE is 380-400ish every hit, and tends to wreck up things in a hurry. Plus if you set them on fire pubbies will blow the damage control party every single time, which mean when the next shot fucks the rudder up, you light the bitch up for focus fire and they die like a scrub when everyone jumps on the easy kill.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You shouldn't be shooting at ranges where you basically aren't hitting anything.

Wouldn't shooting HE and hoping for a rudder hit be leaving things more to random chance anyways? Cruisers can kill other cruisers in two salvoes, but instead you want to hit a rudder for 200 damage and then hope pubbies shoot the same ship?

Being a dickhead and making GBS threads rounds at anything that gets within my engagement envelope? Even the pubbies aren't stupid enough to steam ahead in a straight line these days. Which means playing guess the course and speed, which means 1-2 hits per volley, tops. Fire makes pubbies panic, and every other game at least one Fuso will listen and take a single volley potshot at whoever I left unable to turn, or whose engines I broke, which generally will actually hit and gently caress them right up.

I also like to pick a BB to buddy up with in my Cleveland or Nicholas, and work with them on loving pubbies. More than once I've gotten the BB to bait someone into circling the island and directly into a torpedo volley or a 12 barrel gently caress you from 4km.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Vengarr posted:

I feel less dependent on my teammates compared to Tanks. Sure, I need them to win. But I don't need them to have fun.

Platoons also feel more fun and valuable than in Tanks. Playing with goons is good. And playing carriers is particularly zen, because you don't need to cooperate with teammates at all.

3 carrier Divisions are a great way to cause huge quantities of frothy pubbie rage! It's also great because each torp bomber run is guaranteed to murderize a top tier BB if you coordinate torp drops to hem the ship into a dense crossfire.

3 DD divisions are a great way to sweep the map, break into open water, and stealth cap or gangbang any loitering ships. 3 DDs can put out enough smoke to leave a curtain of invisibility across 3-5 grid squares easily.

3 BB divisions can just pick a direction and go gently caress stuff up, as long as you stay far enough away from islands that a DD or torp CA can't sneak up on you and wreck your poo poo.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hammerstein posted:

As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and makes themselves a prime target for a double strike:

It's getting harder and harder to find pubbies with that level of tunnel vision these days. I'm having to close to 3ish KM broadside with most BB and CA in order to torpedo them to death in my Benson, otherwise they just right full rudder and scoot out of the way. The plus side is they get one, maybe two chances to actually hit my smoke belching rapidly swerving rear end before I'm in range and making GBS threads torps at them. The downside is those two chances only need to hit with 2-3 shells to completely wreck my poo poo.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Apprentice Dick posted:

I am loving that my Cleveland is getting shoved into battles with South Carolinas and Wyomings. Why yes I will light you on fire perpetually while you miss your infrequent shots that have the same range as mine.

Any rapid fire ship plus pyromania is loving amazing. My Fletcher is having so much fun taking potshots at anything in range, setting them on fire, watching them burn the damage control, then setting them on fire three more times.

Also, the Atlanta is poo poo-scary for the exact same reason.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
HE all day every day, it murderizes everything, plus offers bonus 'the world is on fire' opportunities. All my DD fights are HE only these days.

Also, holy poo poo the Fletcher is a beast. The 10km high speed torps are astonishingly good, and the guns murder enemy DDs in a huge hurry. I'm averaging 2+ kills per game where I don't get blapped by a BB first thing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Krogort posted:

What are those turrets ?

Those are the 122mm derp gun turrets off the KV-2 heavy tank. A hilarious and hilariously awful gun.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

orange juche posted:

To be fair, I took my Nagato full speed through those tiny rear end channels like a fuckin boss and killed a Myoko and a Kongo the other day. What do you do when you round the corner of an island into the guns of a Nagato at 3km? You die like a bitch.

Or you run face first into a Fletcher or Gearing and die like a scrub to a full 10 torp broadside. BBs at <3km are my favorite things ever. I may not live through it, but if my torps aren't on cooldown, you sure as poo poo won't either.

Pubbie BBs loving love the southeast ice fields around the A cap point on the ice map, and I love introducing them to glorious American torpedoes.

I think my favorite tactic currently is to do a big lazy loop of smoke around a cap point, then circle back into the smoke and linger. Half the time I can bait some poor fucker into the smoke and then it becomes a cat and mouse game of who can see the other first, and then whose torpedos or broadsides can connect quickest.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cheese posted:

Is this significantly worse than US BB's? I actually think I have the hang of it a bit now that I've got some games in. Definitely helps to start turning you turrets way before you need to.

Locking them with Ctrl+X is also useful if you need to look around for anything.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Krogort posted:

Triple Japanese destroyer division is very very cancerous at high tier.
Permanent smoke and torp wall can lock down a good chunk of the map.

Triple japanese DD once you have >10km torps can more or less convert a large section of a map into torpedo cancer, yes.
Triple american DD at tier 7+ can basically sink any ship they can find, and put out an astonishing quantity of fire causing HE dps. Nothing says 'I hate you and wish you to die' like a spread of 30 torpedos.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hazdoc posted:

Obviously WoWS is now getting an anime theme song.

Every single shipgirl theme song, all 47 of them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NTRabbit posted:

Level bombers were spectacularly bad at hitting ships that were sailing rather than docked, though

Level bombers were notoriously bad at hitting anything smaller than 'Dresden' or 'Tokyo'. A best-actual-case for accuracy was 20% of the bombs dropped landing inside a 1000 ft circle. To guarantee a 95% chance of hitting something the size of the Montana class, you'd need to have 110+ B-17s in a box formation all drop their bombs, assuming it's docked in port. If it's underway and they're able to see the bombs fall, they have between 30 and 45 seconds, depending on bomb type to shift rudder. Without going full turbo-sperg and doing some Monte-Carlo sims on it, I'm gonna take a wild-rear end guess and say 200+ B-17s.

If you want to actually hit something, you need to use a dive bomber and brave whatever flak and AA they have to get to within 3-4k feet and release.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aramoro posted:

The 4v4 T6 Brawls could be really fun if people weren't so loving awful at this game.

The best mode ever was the 1 v 1 brawl at T5/6? Pensacola would either win decisively or die hilariously, depending entirely on what ship I fought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

bees everywhere posted:

The main thing I hate about CVs is that I have to rely on passive AA to shoot down their planes. IIRC in that knockoff game Steel Ocean you could manually control your DP AA guns, it was nice, especially with an Atlanta.

Like shooting skeet with you and your 13 drunkest friends.