Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Missing Name posted:

Actually, the Germans didn't really advance in armor layout, due to not building many capital ships between the war. The Bismarck had an armor profile similar to the Bayern class, some 20 years older.

Funnily though Bismarck is a good example of the advantage the Nagato should have over the Fuso - if memory serves the guy who found the wreck noticed that only Rodney's 16" shots penetrated the main belt, the 14" guns on KGV just left massive dents instead (and the Nelson's 16" guns weren't even very good for their size). The USN went from 12x14" on 3 successive classes, to 8x16" on the Colorado class, so they presumably saw something in it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The pubbies in this game are amazing. I was in a Kuma and not playing very smart, some guy in the Alpha reward ship utterly destroyed me in a few well aimed salvoes. For a second I thought huh, he was pretty good to completely wreck me in just a few AP shots. Then he ran straight into the torps I fired at 7k from a bad angle just as I died.

I laughed, so he called me an "RNG CBT bot" and proceeded to rage at me for the whole round:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I haven't played since the aimbots took off, but coming back in and the engine sounds seem to have stopped? I get the gearbox sound when I sent to full throttle but no noise from the turbines any more, and there's also none of the rumbling and creaking in the port either. Did they remove that?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

As long as it works or at least you enjoy it, who the gently caress cares what other people say about it?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Michaellaneous posted:

12cm guns on IJN destryers were manually turned and had a turnrrate of 4 degree per second.

The Akizuki had powered turrets that would make it genuinely interesting in the tree. I'm guessing they've deliberately picked the torpedo focused options first and they'll branch the Akizuki off later.

jownzy posted:

The South Carolina is basically the worst ship I've played.
Biggest surprise for me has been the Omaha, because it sucked so hard in Navyfield. I've only played like 3 games in it, but each of them netted me 15k exp.

Carrier game play seems somewhat disappointing right now, was looking forward to that. I'm still not clear when AP works and when it doesn't. When it does it does more damage, but it seems like HE is more reliable to do consistent damage.

The Kawachi has the same trouble as the SoCar, and it's basically the same problem that WoT ran into. They are fine when you're fighting against T3 only, but there's a big power gap between them and the next tier up.

Navyfield might spoil you a bit because of the way it ran the tech trees and all of the weird experimental stuff all over the place. The NF starting DDs are T9 in this which says a lot.

AP is a mixed bag but I still prefer to stick with it as standard. It mostly makes sense - you have to hit armour to do any damage at all and you have to penetrate to do more than HE. The requirement of hitting armour to avoid overpenetrating means you want your shots dropping onto the deck or hitting the sides from as best an angle as you can get. If you aim above the deck at closer ranges all you can do is blow up turrets. HE is the opposite, plunging fire works too but at closer ranges if you hit the sides of the ship you won't do anything, you have to aim for unarmoured parts of the superstructure instead. The really annoying one is crossing the T - I don't think I've ever had a shot penetrate from dead ahead even though most ships had a weaker transverse bulkhead compared to their belt armour. I haven't seen an Izumo yet but I imagine the Nelson tactics from NF would actually work quite well there.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Wait, you can survive rams? I thought it was an instant kill for both parties. Does it do a fixed amount of damage or factors in tonnage and whatnot. I have to do this now...

I got this in a Kawachi of all things. I was running up the IJN CV tree during the x4 weekend so I only had to run it for one round. In that round a DD tried to torpedo me but only hit 1 and then ran into an island trying to escape. I just squished him while blowing up a Chikuma at the same time. :smug:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The Locator posted:

Yea, he was moving full speed, and shooting at me. I really don't get the ability to shoot out of smoke without revealing yourself. If you can see me out of the smoke, I should certainly be able to see you in the smoke if you are firing all your guns.

I find that most of the time (though not all) firing does reveal the DD, though only for a second at most. At least they fixed the warp bug after spotting so now you can line up your shots between them firing. That said, whenever I'm in a DD I seem to always be visible. I'm not sure burning 3 points on situational awareness is worth it just to figure out the hosed up mechanics of smoke.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

M.C. McMic posted:

Anyone have any additional suggestions for improving frame-rate? I still have a pretty decent system: Core i5 3570K, Radeon 7850 GPU, 8 GB RAM. I'm seeing frame-rate issues when I play medium settings, and I wouldn't expect that, really.

Any particular settings I should tweak that might improve performance but not affect the overall quality of the game? I'm having a great time playing otherwise.

I have the same gear except 16GB of RAM and I run everything maxed except anisotropic filtering (at 4x), shadows (on medium), reflections and sea rendering (on high instead of very high). I've got vsync on but it never dips below 30 FPS.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

My best ever round by base xp (3500) and my last ever in the New Mexico in CBT:

Both of our Nagatos were bugged at the start of the round, one quit immediately and never came back while the other just sat there chatting until half our team was dead. By that point I was already on half health with repair crew used twice. In the end I sank their North Carolina when he charged between me and a Myoko (while shooting the cruiser), he then told their remaining Cleveland to stall for a draw in all chat. Thankfully he didn't so I got to add a 5th kill and win with 10 seconds on the clock.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Woodchip posted:

Trying the JP line this time, having non-poo poo torps should be a nice surprise.

It's great fun right until you get the Mutsuki.

cheese posted:

Question: Is the Myogi's turret rotation speed indicative of all Japanese BB's? Because if so, I think i need to stop right now :/

Pretty sure it's more or less typical for all BBs on both sides except Yamato (which is even worse so yeah if you hate it that much maybe IJN isn't for you)?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

cheese posted:

Is this significantly worse than US BB's? I actually think I have the hang of it a bit now that I've got some games in. Definitely helps to start turning you turrets way before you need to.

Actually I forgot the stock Myogi has slow guns. The gun upgrade is part of the hull upgrades now so you'll notice it's faster after that. The US ones are all 45 seconds for 180 degrees except New Mexico and Colorado at 60. The IJN ones tend to be slower stock but faster when upgraded.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Mans posted:

for some reason the little pop up image that shows module specs is white and transparent, which makes reading module information virtually impossible.

can i change it to be less transparent or something?

The option is 'increase GUI contrast' or something. The default is meant to have a blur filter for the background but if you have post processing turned down then yeah it probably doesn't work so well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For me it feels like long distance shooting with a shotgun, but where a headshot is a one hit kill. You can get very lucky if your aim is bad, and you can get quite lucky if your aim is good, but you can just as easily fire 3 shots in a row as accurately as you possibly can and come away with zero damage dealt to show for it. That whole process takes 2 minutes which is 1/10th of a round gone already, and that's not counting the time you spent sailing to the area and lining up those shots in the first place.

In fairness I think WG are aware it's an issue. They don't want battleships to be any more accurate than they are now at long range since the pubbie sniping is bad enough as it is, and they already gave them an accuracy boost inside 5km in the OBT patch (and it does feel a bit better inside that range). If they extended that to 8km and also made large caliber AP rounds penetrate thin armour at high angles a bit better (a 3" armour belt on a cruiser is not going to stop a 14" AP shell reliably from close range, even at high angle) then they'd be in a good place.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I find it quite rare to not score any hits at all from a salvo, but it is very common to score 2 or 3 hits and do a grand total of 1500 damage, while the cruiser you are shooting hits you back for 3k and does so 4 times for each time you get to shoot back.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So does it just billow out enough to largely cover the ship?

It produces enough to cover you, but only produces a new cloud every couple of seconds. If you run at top speed you'll make a bigger cloud, but you'll be visible on and off for a few seconds at a time as you go. If you run at about 20 knots or less you'll generally stay completely invisible but the cloud itself will be much smaller at the end since it only runs for 20 seconds now. I used to make a big cloud along the edge of cap points and double back through it, but now I try to make a cloud across the middle, then double back behind it and fire torpedoes through.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Han Feizi posted:

That's how I felt about the Kawachi. Utter garbo ship that gets outranged by everything afloat and misses completely at 3k. Haven't scored a single citadel hit in 5 games. Getting around 200 exp for maybe 12 hits. It's really turning me off of the BB line, and the CV line by means of grinding through these poo poo ships.

I don't know if it's because the progression is slower now, but compared to CBT the Kawachi seems to be even less accurate than it used to be. The Myogi however is more accurate than it was so that's not so bad. The best advice I can give for Kawachi is to forget the standard BB tactic and load HE. The citadel on the St Louis and Chester are very low in the water so your chances of hitting them are minimal, and the armour penetration on the 12" guns isn't good enough to reliably penetrate the T3 BBs anyway. If you sail roughly towards your target and weave left and right you can make use of 5 turrets while presenting a hard target for torpedoes, and you'll kill St Louis if you can get close enough whereas you'll definitely die if you let them lob HE onto your deck from max range. Swap to AP if you're getting closer than 3km and just keep closing until you ram them (which is the single most reliably way to deal damage in a Kawachi).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

PirateBob posted:

So what skills are you guys picking for DDs?

Situation Awareness and Torpedo Armament Expertise seem obvious at rows 1 and 2. At 3 I'm thinking the +1 consumables one, and perhaps Last Stand (remain able to maneuver to some degree after losing engine/gears) at row 4?

Pretty much, except I take aiming speed at 2 rather than torpedo reload (but will get that on second pass probably). It's probably justified at T8 when the reload times really get ridiculous, but before then it's not like the upgrade is going to save you in a fight because if you're under fire the whole time you're waiting for a reload you'll die with or without the upgrade. Faster aiming guns gives you more chance of killing an enemy DD that is keeping you spotted while you're dodging at the same time, and then once hidden you can escape or line up your next torp run.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Or you could just not sail in a straight line all the time. Or you could, you know, use actual teamwork and work with friendly destroyers (the enemy DDs can't avoid them to stay hidden because they can't see them), cruisers (staying on the edge of spotting range risks running into a scout plane), or get your carrier to send a fighter squadron across for a bit (only needs to spot them once to stick to them). It is entirely expected that if you sail away by yourself in a battleship or just as a group of BBs you will get hosed by destroyers, and any battleship that does that deserves it because it inevitably leads to all of their team's cruisers trying to fight battleships at objectives and getting blown out of the water.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 15, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

PirateBob posted:

Hahaha, glorious.

Thanks. I picked up both Aiming Expert and Torpedo Expertise on my IJN DD captain! :shobon: Feels bad to delay the rank 3+ skills, but eh.

You'll probably want both by the end but you might regret not getting the engine/rudder damage skill as early as possible, unless they cut back the engine damage in a patch.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm not going to argue the point that there are some successful ways to play battleships, but it's still kind of messed up that all a cruiser has to do is angle away every 30 seconds and you can't significantly hurt him, while he does plenty of damage back with HE.

I think both sides of it need reworking to fix this though. They already made battleships more accurate at close range, but that could do with increasing a bit further, especially on low tier ships. At the same time HE needs to do less pure damage instead of chunking battleship HP so much. If you did nothing else then they would be ridiculously strong, so at the same time add a bunch of secondary modules that can be damaged by HE and reduce effectiveness. Hits to the FCS that reduce accuracy and max firing range, radio damage that cuts you off from allies' line of sight, electrical system hits that reduce turret turn speed. Maybe even crew casualties that increase the cooldown on abilities. The idea is that a cruiser can make life miserable enough for a battleship that they can't be ignored, but to actually sink it without waiting a long time for fire to do the business they will have to get close enough for AP to penetrate or use torpedoes, which gives the battleship a better chance to fight back.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Come on guys Furutaka isn't that bad! :v:

That is pretty much best case scenario in fairness since it's a T5 battle - it's the classic WG issue of a ship that isn't actually bad at its tier but it is particularly bad when uptiered.

I dodged a TB run and scrapped with a couple of destroyers that thankfully didn't get close before running somewhere else and dying. Sank the Tenryu, dodged another TB wave. Then hit two Wyomings together at close range - put 3 torpedoes into one for a kill, hit the second with 2 and finished with guns while dodging a third TB run. Then my first tubes reloaded just as another Furutaka came around and island, so he ate 3 more torpedoes, somehow survived and lost his last 170 HP to an Arkansas Beta that hadn't left our start for the entire round. Dodged yet another TB run before I finally got to the Langley that had been after me since the round started. I shot his engines out twice and then gave him some torpedoes as well since it seemed fitting!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

OSad posted:

I guess it's all about learning how to lead at the end of the day, and it's still a gamble whether a ship will kill you on approach or not, but punching up with your guns is so much more reliable than doing it with torps instead. Also, you get 65-knot torps so much earlier in the American line! For the Jap equivalent, you gotta go all the way to the Kagero, and they're only two knots better! 65-knots is very fast for tier 5!

The stock Minekaze torpedoes are 68 knots, do about 30% more damage each than the Nicholoas' and you can launch just as many in a single salvo. The turn speed on the guns sucks, but you can get them to just about usable with the captain skill and then from Hatsuharu they turn fast enough.

For me it's not about the all-out range of the torpedoes, it's the fact that most players won't start zig-zagging until they actually see a destroyer near them. Every few games I get one that starts with me putting 6 torpedoes into a battleship from 7km who hasn't encountered a single enemy ship yet, which you just can't do in a US DD (until Benson, and even then only with 52-knot torpedoes).

Scikar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 6, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Given where it is before the Admiral Hipper, I would assume the Yorck is going to be the M project. That puts a ship similar to Cleveland one tier up though, so I wonder if this means changes to the US tree - maybe a heavy/light split with Brooklyn and Northampton added?

e: The Panzershiffe are always going to look weird in the tree, 6x11" guns is going to be really pathetic if they have battleship accuracy but pretty strong on a cruiser. I don't see a T9 and T10 6x11" P project being a problem against a rapid fire Des Moines or a 12x8" Zao, but it will be interesting seeing where the Deutschlands fit in.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 6, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Magni posted:

Yeah, the 11in-armed Panzerschiffe are probalby going to be trading n DPM for alpha damage and penetration comapred to 8in cruisers. Culd work out pretty well and depends on how they balance it in detail.

It sounds cool at first until you realise this is exactly what the Colorado is to the New Mexico, and look how that worked out.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

James Garfield posted:

edit: but really, what were the Nazis doing with all that extra displacement on all their ships? Did they carry absurd amounts of fuel and ammunition or something?

There was a bit of that. They designed pretty much everything for long range convoy raiding because that was the only realistic strategic objective their navy was going to pull off. They were also late to the party on all-or-nothing armour and dual purpose secondaries so that's a lot of wasted displacement as well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hazdoc posted:

Edit: Speaking of which, a great way to nerf HE is to simply reduce how much damage ships take from module damage. You can kill ships by soaking the top of it with HE, rather than trying to get AP into the important sections underneath, which kinda sucks. Instead, reduce the amount of damage ships take when modules are crit, and increase the amount of damage AP does to make it more desirable. Perhaps increasing shell normalization would be good too (I don't care if its not realistic), so crossing the T against somebody shooting AP is much less advantageous, or at least increase the penetration of shells that are passing through superstructure, so you can shoot somebody in the front and have the shell drop into the midsection of the ship and potentially citadel (or hit some turrets/magazines on the way). Giving overpens near the waterline a chance to inflict flooding would be interesting... but that might be way too much. Limit it only to BBs? Sounds good.

Also, if a ship is lit on fire, reduce the chance they can be lit on fire again by however much HP was lost to that fire. Perhaps have a break point with fire damage, where after a ship has taken X% of its HP in fire damage, the chance to catch on fire is reduced dramatically (and of course reversed if the ship repairs some of the fire damage HP).

Also, remove CVs. Oh god im doing it again

They changed firing AP head-on once already, it's not as bad as it was. You used to get no chance of penetration, whereas now you can citadel someone when you cross their T but it's such a small target that you rarely get the hits. They ought to tweak the normalisation a bit anyway though; apparently there's a ratio of shell calibre to armour thickness where ricochets don't happen, but it's set at 20:1 so you need 16" guns to not ricochet from 20mm of armour. Underwater penetration was added in the last CBT patch and had a chance of causing flooding, but they removed the flooding with OBT for some reason.

I do think HE does too much damage now, but if you lower the damage taken from module crits then you don't need to nerf fire as well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

From a DD perspective I don't care what they do as long as they fix engines breaking on every single hit! :argh:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Wade Wilson posted:

Also, is there any way to find out the range you have to be in for secondary guns to open up? The South Carolina I've been using finally started firing secondaries yesterday when I got within 2km of another battleship and that's literally the only time I've seen other guns on one of my ships open up.

If you expand the artillery tab on the ship stats panel in port, then hover over your secondary guns and it will tell you their maximum range. There are also captain skills and ship upgrades that can each add +20% to the range, and a signal flag you can run that makes them more accurate. At lower tiers though they have very bad range and accuracy so you can't really rely on them.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I can't believe how good the Mutsuki is to me second time around. I got this far in CBT but seemed to have no luck in it at all, but here I am trying crazy stuff and getting away with it. Just got a win on Two Brothers by skipping along the edge of the map then cutting back behind the enemy battleship line and launching my torpedoes from their blind side. There was a Clemson that almost spotted me on the way in, which would have meant pretty much instant death, but fortunately he cut the other way when he started taking fire. I did have a plan to use free XP for at least part of the grind to Hatsuharu but I couldn't afford the credits if I did. Fortunately I don't really feel the need to (yet).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Perestroika posted:

Sometimes those extra 50mm almost feel more like a downside. With the Wyoming, when you're shooting AP at most cruisers you generally score some decent damage through simple penetrating hits even when they're not citadels. But with the New York against cruisers it seems like it's either citadels or just overpenetrations all day every day.

Overpen just means you either didn't hit enough armour to trip the fuse in your shell, or you did hit enough armour but the shell came out of the other side of the ship before it detonated (e.g. you hit the far side of his deck armour).

One of the forum mods has apparently been doing some testing and came up with some useful info here: http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Relevant useful stuff:

quote:

• Non-penetrations (bounce/ricochet) will always deal 0 damage, regardless of AP or HE. However, HE shells still has a chance to start fires or break modules with its splash damage. Splash damage will never deal HP damage.
  • Penetrations deal x0.33 of the shell's listed damage. Whether AP or HE, it must penetrate the armor and detonate inside the ship.
  • Over-penetrations deal x0.10 of the shell's listed damage. Over-penetration is when a shell penetrates the ship through-and-through, before it has a chance to detonate inside the ship. Theoretically HE will never over-penetrate due to its low detonator threshold and shorter fuze.
  • Citadel hits will always deal x1.0 of the shell's listed damage. This is only achieved if the shell penetrates the armor and the citadel (vital parts of the ship which usually enclosed in more armor). Even though HE has low penetration and almost instantaneous fuzes, it's still possible to get a citadel hit using HE if the target's armor is thin enough and the citadel hitbox is close enough to the first layer of armor.
  • Penetrations on a destroyer's midsection will deal x0.5 of the shell's listed damage. It is impossible to get a citadel hit on a destroyer, as they no longer have them per se (was removed in 0.2.4/0.3.0). Due to their thin armor, HE works best as AP will almost always over-penetrate a destroyer.

Battleship guns have around double the base damage on AP versus HE, so in a situation where you are always going to overpen (e.g. a destroyer), you do about 2/3 damage when firing AP. But you'll do about 3x more damage when your AP shells do penetrate armour, and 6x on a citadel. So if you think you can penetrate armour at all you should always be firing AP, and only use HE when you know you can't penetrate or you're shooting at destroyers.

Cruiser AP is only 1.5x the damage of equivalent HE, so in the overpen situation you're doing half damage. Penetrations are x2, citadels are x4, so if you assume half your shots will penetrate but half will overpen, and you can't get a citadel, you break even. So in cruisers fire AP if you think can get a citadel or knock out main guns, otherwise HE.

Destroyer AP has almost the same damage as HE, so the only time to fire it is when a) the target's main belt is a bigger target than anything else, or b) you know you can get citadels (which is realistically only on light cruisers).

This assumes your HE shots all hit unprotected areas of course, since HE hitting armour will deal zero damage.

Also some useful info on what the blackened state of ships means:

quote:

Each section (except the citadel) has two thresholds, where after each one is reached the damage it receives is reduced. The threshold levels for each section of each ship varies.
  • In the initial state, the ship will receive damage normally (x0.33 for shell penetration). The section starts off clean and gets darker as it takes more damage.
  • After the first threshold is reached, the damage received is halved (x0.165 dmg for shell penetration). At this stage, the section of the ship is visually blackened.
  • Finally, once the second threshold is reached the section stops receiving damage. There is no visual difference to the first threshold, you'll only notice that your shells stop doing damage to the section.

In other words, once you've shot enough HE at someone to set his superstructure black, you are better off aiming for the bow or the stern if either of those are clean, since they are usually just as lightly armoured but you'll deal twice as much damage until they go black as well.

And finally torpedoes:

quote:

Torpedo damage uses a similar mechanic to shells, however the damage it can inflict is also limited by the each section's damage threshold. It doesn't appear to take into account of armor at all (in fact, it seems to ignore armor completely), the only thing that matters is which section it hits.
  • Hits to the bow or stern will deal ~x0.9 (figures are rounded up/down) of torpedo's listed damage, halved after the first threshold and finally takes no damage after the second threshold.
  • The damage multiplier for the midsection varies for each ship e.g. tests show that Yamato has a value of x0.41, Nagato at x0.71 and Des Moines at x0.85. Unlike shell penetration against armor which is modeled relatively realistic, torpedo protection appears to be arbitrarily set to roughly correspond to the protection it had in real life (or in some cases, as designed on paper). Ships with good torpedo protection have low damage multipliers, while those without good protection have higher multipliers.
  • Destroyers are yet again another special case, its midsection takes x1.36 torpedo damage, in other words it actually takes more damage than is listed for the torpedo.
  • Torpedo hits to the bow and stern will reduce the section's HP just like shells, however hits to the midsection do not reduce that section's HP at all. Every hit to the midsection will always deal the same amount of damage. If the midsection's first threshold is reached (via gunfire), it will still receive almost as much damage from torpedoes as before (very small difference, almost no change).

I actually ran into this today, I hit a New Mexico with 6 torps from my Mutsuki. All landed dead amidships and he survived with about 3k HP left. Presumably the New Mexico has lower than 0.9x multiplier on the midsection, so one torpedo each to the bow and stern would have probably killed him. This explains the second benefit of turning into torpedoes - once you've taken a certain amount of bow damage you can't take any more so you'll actually be immune to torpedoes that hit the bow after that point.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CitizenKain posted:

This explains a lot and is one of the problems I have with the game, they don't explain poo poo. Especially compared to how well they (eventually) got to describing tanks and giving out information.
Ships have a lot more going on with their armor and guns, and hidden mechanics like the ship taking less damage in some spots after awhile or torpedoes just do less damage because reasons. They need to expose armor values and ammunition penetration values again. This is particularly jarring when making the jump from the St Louis to the Phoenix.

I'm not sure the values will help that much, since you need full angle and impact velocity curves to figure out if you can penetrate in a ship. They have said they will add the info back in when they have an improved system for it, I don't know how it's shown in tanks because I never played it after the beta, but I'm guessing you'll be able to pick a firing ship and target ship and then see a big circle around the target showing the regions you can penetrate deck and belt armour from.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Another useful forum post: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18094-matchmaker/

This is on how much you can be up-tiered by class.

Battleships can always get +3 up-tiered.

Cruisers and destroyers start +1, then +2 at T3, and +3 at T6. Another point against Mutsuki - the Minekaze can face T7 battles but Mutsuki can face T9.

Carriers start +1, then +2 at T6.

You can't get down-tiered in a division, but MM will use the highest maximum. So if a Hosho and a South Carolina division together, the South Carolina is actually going to get the Hosho up-tiered to T6 33% of the time when this wouldn't happen if the Hosho was solo. In fact the only bearable setup I can see for a division with a carrier is if the carrier is with only destroyers and cruisers that are one tier below. Anything else will screw over either the carrier or the other ships.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Koth posted:

Basically, the MM seems to have been designed with destroyers and cruisers in mind, and then arbitrarily applied to battleships and carriers with no real thought put into it. Low tier BBs just plain should not be seeing anything of significantly higher tier, because they're generally just an empty ship slot at that point, and CVs should not be seeing other CVs of significantly different tiers - with the most radical jump being between 6/7, though 8/9 is rather bad as well.

T6 carriers are definitely in the worst spot for this - you go from being up-tiered every other game to being up-tiered every 2 out of 3, at exactly the point where being up-tiered becomes almost guaranteed that you'll get destroyed.

demonR6 posted:

We were in a division last night and our T7 CV was seeing T9 CV's.

That's normal anyway since they're +2 from T6 up. What can change is a solo T7 CV will not get put into a T10 match, but they can if the division contains a T7+ of any other class.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

demonR6 posted:

Okay how about we had a one T7 and they had a T7 and T9? Their Indy was melting all out poo poo out of the sky.

As far as I know WG haven't said anything about what happens after the MM decides what tier the battle is, and who's eligible for it. It would be nice obviously if they made sure the count and tiers of the CVs on each side matched up though. The chart is just to help understand that if you division with people in other classes of ship then someone ends up worse off than solo in terms of battle tiers, whether by facing higher tier enemies than normal or just a higher proportion of up-tiered games.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Reztes posted:

Wait a sec, do range upgrades effectively increase accuracy at shorter ranges then? I'm assuming the dispersion stat on guns is the maximum dispersion distance at max range, and that if you then grab an upgrade from say 16km range to 20km, shots fired at a 16km target would disperse less than when that was the ship's max range.

I could see that having a big effect on making any BB with a range upgrade much more reliable and effective than stock in all encounters, unless you're the type to only snipe from max range.

Hard to say really, but probably? The displayed max dispersion in port is linear: IJN BB max dispersion is somewhere around (0.007 * max range) + 88 and USN BB max dispersion is (0.01 * max range) + 60. But why is there a static factor in that? Is that why firing at point blank range is less accurate than expected?

Yamato aiming 0.5km away:

Yamato aiming 5km away:

Those screenshots make it look like it should follow the above formula at all ranges (the guns get proportionally less accurate at close range because they have to meet 88m dispersion at point blank). But a Kongo firing an 8 gun broadside at 8.9km feels far more accurate than a stock Kawachi doing the same (that's its max range). In the OBT patch WG said they made BBs more accurate below 5km so there's presumably something non-linear going on but it's really hard to judge in game.

The TL;DR is: presumably yes, but there's no way to be certain until WG give us more info.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

DurosKlav posted:

Would be interesting to see your damage taken on this. Iowas are so bouncy its funny watching pubbies try and pen them. They see the high tier ships and the blinders go on and they just start spamming shells. "Why arent my pop guns penning this highly armored battleship thats angled away from me and at long range?" Its really bad anytime there is a Tirpitz in the game.

Supposedly there's a bug with the Iowa where the superstructure starts in the reduced damage state. So it takes half damage from HE, and then zero once the superstructure turns dark. So you might as well shoot AP.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

New test patch is on the way, includes CV balance! http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/game-update-041-pt-announcement/

Also, ranked battles where you can get demoted for a draw! :suicide:

e: The Asia announcement included some extra details:

quote:

Cruiser Omaha will get an increase in firing range when equipped with the most advanced hull to match her to the other ship of the series—Murmansk. Cruiser Furutaka, which taught many Japanese Navy enthusiasts coolness and peace of mind, now shifts the helm faster, and turns to the enemy more rapid-firing and agile primary armament turrets together with updated torpedoes. By the way, the same torpedoes are installed on the top configuration of destroyer Mutsuki, which provides a good opportunity to save on research. The Japanese Navy enthusiasts will most certainly appreciate another improvement: the rotation speed of primary armament turrets of Wakatake, Minekaze, and Mutsuki was increased. The latter also received a bonus to the reload time of torpedo tubes.

The changes of U.S. destroyers deserve a more detailed description. In general, we registered some decline in popularity and battle performance for these warships, which were always famous for excellent primary armament guns and their ability to both act as part of the team and hunt light enemy ships on their own. Low-tier destroyers Samspon and Wickes will get increased fire rate and gun rotation speeds. Their colleagues starting from Tier V will have two variants of top hulls. The alternative variant will have additional AA armament at the expense of the main battery. At the same time, the Engine Boost consumable will be replaced by Defensive Fire. Undoubtedly, these improvements will allow the Americans to fully use their versatile primary armament guns against enemy aviation. However, captains who want to concentrate their efforts on hunting down enemy destroyers can select main top hulls equipped with Engine Boost and standard artillery armament that are now necessary in order to get to the following level. Apart from that, the action time of Smoke Screens of all U.S. destroyers was increased.

Still, we had to do some fine-tuning. Minekaze, a too effective, elusive, and dangerous Japanese destroyer, will lose her top torpedoes and three kilometers of range with them.The traversing angles of her torpedo tubes were reduced a little, while the detection distance was increased by almost one kilometer. It's cool to be a ninja, but it's time to draw a line. Mutsuki's concealment was modified in the same way. Our research showed that the Japanese national bonus to the chance of causing fire with high-explosive shells needed to be balanced, that's why it was reduced depending on gun caliber. Cruiser Mogami, the terror of Tier VIII, will have to be more careful now, as the reserve durability of her primary armament turrets was decreased, while the previous Japanese cruiser Myoko will have a lower rate of fire. As for the U.S. Fleet, the test results showed that the rate of fire and the primary armament turrets’ rotation speed of battleship Wyoming needed to be reduced a little.

Defensive fire on US DDs, faster turret traverse on low level IJN DDs and Furutaka. Myoko and Mogami nerfed yet no change to Cleveland?

Scikar fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 12, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

TehKeen posted:

The Minekaze nerfs aren't really even that bad since imho the 7km faster torps are better.

It's getting +1km added to its detection range though, so it will play more like the stock Mutsuki. Which also gets +1km detection range because it just wasn't bad enough.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hazdoc posted:

The Mutsuki is getting buffs to torpedo reload time and turret traverse, though. Eh.

The Mutsuki will probably come out OK with the 10km torps, but you tend to score a lot more damage by firing from 6.5km instead of 9km thanks to a tighter spread and less time for the target to change course. One painful side effect is that right now you have a rough 1km window where you can spot a Clemson or Nicholas without being detected. They'll know you're there if they have situational awareness but you can at least turn around and get away before you get blown away by cruisers. After the patch you won't be able to do that any more - and while US DD smokescreen is getting buffed they haven't mentioned the same for IJN DDs.

Don't get me wrong, there's a load of good stuff in those notes but the Minekaze nerfs are too much in my opinion. For Mutsuki, if the turret traverse goes up substantially, and especially on the upgraded guns (they're the secondaries used on Aoba and other cruisers which had power traverse so there's good reason for it) then between that and the torpedo reload buff it might come out as a decent ship. I'll be in Hatsuharu by the time it hits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Dilkington posted:

Is there a consensus on what to buy for the Cleveland's second upgrade slot?

I can't see a good reason not to take AA range. Accuracy is already good and the only problem you have is shell flight time at max range, which reduced dispersion isn't going to help. You don't need the secondaries because you melt anything within 5km using primaries anyway, and if you want your guns to turn faster in exchange for lower rate of fire then you can always just use the base guns instead of the upgraded ones. AA range on the other hand makes your defensive fire even better and lets you shoot down planes before they even start lining up their run, which is good at making CV drivers panic and send them somewhere else.