Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Zhanism posted:

Should destroyers use HE or AP? Their AP not useful against bigger ships and does AP matter against other destroyers?

If the target is far use AP even against Battleships. Your rounds will arc right down into their nice sweet and soft deck and puncture right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Wow I did not know this was a thing.

Fart Car '97 posted:

DD's don't really have the range for this to be a thing though. Arcing down really only applies when you're shooting over long enough distances for it to actually do that and the top tier DDs have like a 12k range.

Every DD has range to arc AP down into decks of ships. Event he early tier 10KM guns.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's contrary to what some of the more experienced players were saying earlier :shrug:

:shrug: Been doing it constantly since I've been playing.

Also agreeing with the Omaha is pretty sweet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hagop posted:

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries, my secondaries gunners are hard put to land 1 out of every 6 shots on a heavy cruiser. I feel like my secondaries would never manage to kill a DD unless he drove up to 2 km came to a dead stop and waited 5 minuets.

When your tier 6 DD has a range of 4.5KM on torps you kind of have to get within secondary gun range to hit with them.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The Kongo guns were pointing in the absolute opposite direction

So possibly there is one instance of a Kongo's secondaries "one shotting" a DD. That really doesn't mean anything. Hell I was one shot by a dive bomber in my DD while driving like a madman stupid rng poo poo happens. The secondary gun may have just got a lucky shot into the DDs ammo rack or something.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Torpedeos on the American destroyers including the clemesen are secondary weapons to be used when the opportunity presents itself don't try to force a torpedo run in those ships.

Last night I did drove my BB right between two enemy BB's and all our secondaries and primaries were firing at each other and it was cool as gently caress fyi. I took heavy damage but while they focused on me my team melted them.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, the guns on the Clemson are the best feature, which was my point. Some people apparently incapable of grasping the simple fact that slow, short range torpedoes are poo poo torpedoes, and no amount of hand waving makes them otherwise.

I disagree about them being poo poo due to the range. Yes it makes torpeding ships harder but you also can't be a retard about it and just charge a ship to get into range. While my current DD only has a range of 4.5km on the torps they each do 18K damage which is pretty insane and lets you completely gank a full health BB in one volley.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hey is there any way I can get that Japanese premium cruiser that has like 8 torpedo bays? I am sure its nothing beyond a gimmick but that gimmick looks hilarious.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Wasn't the first post after NTRabbirs first post "Don't argue with NTRabbit"

?

Yes but we all have learning disabilities.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Keksen posted:

I'm feeling really stupid asking, but I just got an Omaha and I can't figure out how to make my scout plane do anything else than fly around my ship in a small circle? I swear I've seen other peoples' scouts all over the map. I must have tried about every button on the keyboard now.

I didn't think you could control the scout plane from your cruiser?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Am I crazy for thinking destroyers should have a clear advantage in raw speed? I fully agree that they are kings of mobility and are hard to detect but really all they seem to be right now are smaller harder to hit cruisers with less firepower and far less hit points but with a better ability to ambush. I dunno I just think they should be have more distinction.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Those must be the stupid alpha testers that I never associated with.. not one single person I know from alpha would ever say that and they mostly have positive things to say about the game so far. Are these idiots posting on the brown sea forums?

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19328-revert-game-to-version-17-and-restart-development-from-there/

I stopped skimming it because I couldn't believe people would willing want the things they say want in a game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Also destroyers have a huge implicit relative speed buff because everything actually moves many times faster than if says on the tin.

Sorry can you explain this? Are you referring to how in a 8 minute battle the game will tell you that you traveled like 40 miles?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nordick posted:

Simple: While in game, pick a spot, say, 10 kilometers away. Then see how much time it takes you to reach that spot. I'd hazard a guess it's a whole lot faster than it actually takes to travel that distance in the real world.

Oh yeah that is true, but everyone is traveling at that magic super speed not just DDs.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

santanotreal posted:

Destroyers counter subs of course.

Well we are doing a drat good job at it then :smug:

"Their camo values and smoke screens are already pretty good to fit in with their role. Remember that the role of DDs is to fight other DDs and Carriers. NOT BBs."

Wait what?

Also holy poo poo what is with all these anime sperg names.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 17, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

DDs aren't meant to go out by themselves and pick fights with capital ships. BBs and CA's entire gimmick is 'Lets put a bunch of guns on this thing and kill the poo poo out of those other floating fuckers over there'.

Why even have destroyers if they aren't supposed to be able to wreck something? Japs have cruisers with plenty of guns and torpedoes on them already just delete DDs then.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Uhhhh they can wreck things, you just have to play them with a bit of finesse?

You might as well ask 'Why even have light tanks?' in games like War Thunder and World of Tanks. Their guns are often weaker than everything they fight, their armor is piss-poor, and they sacrifice everything for speed. Even the nastiest light tanks usually can't go toe to toe with something ( or shouldn't ), unless it can't be helped, you're fighting an idiot, or you're confident in your ability to win.

And yet, they're really, really fun, and they can be amazing when they're played properly.

I've had games where I've killed two BBs and wounded other ships in a DD. I've also had games where I took a risk ( or did something stupid ), and got wrecked in a single salvo.

Even just ignoring their damage potential, destroyers can go places and fight in areas that are death traps for larger ships. They can get on the caps first. They can lay down screens for their team to advance in safety.

If Wargaming is smart, they'll make both teams a pyramid where most ships are cruisers and destroyers, with a few CA, BB, and CV up top. It would probably make for more interesting and varied games.

I wouldn't compare WoT lights to DDs beyond them both being small, lightly armored and few Hitpoints.

Your previous post came off as DD's are useless and should just be support ships that sit back which if that is the case why even have them when cruisers are much better at supporting BB than destroyers? They get better longer range guns, more hit points and at lots of them have torpedoes themselves not to mention AA out their rear end.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How do you guys stand playing Battleships? I mean they look sweet and make big booms but I find them pretty boring to play.

Also is there any sort of aim penalty for firing while moving or anything like that it doesn't seem like there is anything of that nature.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Gamesguy posted:

The main issue I see is carrier planes are too good at scouting.

This is a huge issue with DD's. I have Sixth sense on my tier V DD and I am constantly spotted by airplanes flying everywhere so I am not even sneaky like I am supposed to be because planes flying 5km spot me.

demonR6 posted:

I've seen many matches where a DD makes it into the backfield and absolutely wrecks poo poo and the whole team is like how the hell did that happen?

I have done this and it is a great feeling but a lot of poo poo has to go wrong on the other team and a lot of things have to go right for you to make it there.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Scout planes need to be removed from everyone but carriers. Oh look I am in a BB and want to go around this island, I'll just launch this stupid plane and detected loving everything.

VV Don't care how they think its balanced it is complete bullshit counter to a DDs when they can just press button and detect you.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 18, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Gamesguy posted:

Fighters are far more annoying than scout planes. Most DDs above tier 5 can destroy a single scout fairly easily

I was in my farragut and turned my AA on since I knew I was already spotted. That plane didn't die.

I think the Farragut is just awful and thats why I am currently having a very bad time in a DD.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 18, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do destroyers even get spotting XP and credits?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Them having shittier guns than the US DDs is enough, really, they don't also need to be almost useless.

Not really, you get better torpedoes, faster and more agile ships. Your trade off are worse guns that take longer to turn. Take away the turret advantage on US DD why would you even play one then?

Ugh the tier 7 US DD only goes 35 knots kill me now.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Was just put in a game by myself against a Yamato, a Baltimore, and a Mogami. What?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Compares one tier as a point

The Japanese get 3 destroyers that both have higher speed and better maneuverability than their equal tier US counter-part. The US, only gets one which magically happens to be the one you chose to compare. You under value the ability to poo poo out torpedoes at a cap 10KM away when this game is full of retards just like WoT.

I will concede that a 45 second turret turn time is too drat high.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 19, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Hell, the Tier VI IJN destroyer is horrible to switch to from the previous tier, because it starts with 6 km torpedoes for some ungodly reason with no real benefit to balance it out.

No you've made your point, IJN turrets should not be awful. The difference in turn times is pretty ridiculous. As for tier 6 the same thing happens with US destroyers just when we start getting much needed longer range torps they go ahead and jam some 4.5km ones down our dickholes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I didn't know if your torps would friendly fire or not so I shot them at a friendly BB in a game already won. He ended up dead and very mad and I had my answer.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hows that tier 8 premium ship?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I got the warspite, warpsite is good. lol at people that don't like to spend money on internet pixels.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So a destroyer just rammed by BB killing himself and giving me a kill, I then took my hosed up BB and rammed an enemy BB getting myself two kills without shooting anyone. :black101:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Wasn't there a Jap cruiser at some point that had like 8 torpedo racks?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

James Garfield posted:

There is also a relatively simple way to minimize HE/fire damage to the point that it cannot sink your ship, but even if I describe it it is probably beyond NTRabbit's capabilities since he loses co-op games.

I would like to know what this is, cause fighting high RoF HE spamming cruisers in BB is pretty frustrating. Being lite on fire everywhere and using the repair kit to put them out just to become on fire again pretty quickly is pretty frustrating to me.

Also not being a whiny baby, I genuinely want to know how to reduce the HE damage when I am trying to get in close and have a good time.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 18, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Point your butt at them. Your front also works, but won't reduce damage as much. When the section runs out of health you'll stop taking damage.
It's not perfect because not every shell will hit there, but it makes a noticeable difference.

The Wiki says that modules at 0HP still continue to burn and do damage to the ship?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fire damage does too much damage due to the passive nature of that damage. You hit a guy with a salvo and lite them on fire in two or three spots and then can just go behind an island while they burn, meanwhile the guy on fire is playing aggressively and trying to actually have a fun match. I haven't played nearly enough to claim anything as overpowered or whatever rabbit is saying but fire damage does seem too good to me at this point in time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

We were all pubbies once :v:

I was born with a SA subscription.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Warspite is pretty awesome, when will I have all the British tea drinking BBs?

So what I learned from that stats site, I apparently now how to click red things but don't know enough about what I am doing to win games.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am going up the jap cruiser line and I swear every time I am hit my Rudder gets knocked out. Do US cruiser have poo poo rudders to or is this some special gently caress you to naps?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Should I equip and skill out my Warspite with bonus to the secondary weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Not spending a dime on this game until I can share funny money with tanks.

Didn't they completely throw out that whole account unification thing?