Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Apologies if I missed recent discussion of it, but is Crimson Spires any good? I saw it mentioned that it's one of the rare visual novels where the main character isn't a total doormat, and that's always a plus for me.....also, one of the romance routes is with another lady. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, as long as the story is fairly compelling, $10 seems fair to me, even if it's only a couple of hours long. I just think of it as buying a movie ticket or something.

(:can:)

gegi posted:

I found it enjoyable but there is one major caveat that will annoy some people - the mystery is never really resolved. No, not even in the special unlockable NG+ ending. So if you're fine with weird stuff happening and then leaving it open for the players to try and put together the clues to build your own story of WHAT DID IT ALL MEAN, then you're good.

Had to spoiler it because some would rather not know it, though I know that makes things if you don't know whether you should look or not!

Ah, your spoiler actually WOULD put me off a bit. Good to know; I'll wait until it's at a slightly deeper discount than the current 30%. :)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Buried Stars is out on Steam now. It's a death game with kpop talent show participants. Haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I've heard good things and the art looks nice.

I have this on my PSN wishlist (it almost never goes on sale), so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts. :)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ooh, thank you for the write-up! :) This jumped up a few spots on my wishlist.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

- I like the whole social media aspect. Haven't seen that in a VN before. Basically, you can read, post and reply on the in-game Twitter Phater even as you and your fellow contestants are trapped in a life-or-death situation. And the rest of them do it too. The little bit of this I've experienced is already good but this has incredible potential. The world's first shitposting simulator.

This reminds me, there was a VN that came out in Japan back in like 2013 or something for the Vita, and it never made its way over here even though I would have KILLED for it. I guess they didn't think it was worth it to localize. The name escapes me, but it was basically about calling people out and exposing them for making poo poo up to get Twitter clout.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This is gonna drive me nuts.

Edit: NET HIGH! That was it. I wish that had come out here in the US.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 9, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I got Yu-no on PS4 while it's on sale. Anything I should know before going in?

(I don't mean content warnings or anything, unless you feel they're noteworthy. I just don't know if the game play includes any odd stuff like the "sending texts to pick your route" in Steins;gate.)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks, all! I may check out the original first, we will see. I'm not in any rush to play either version, as I'm still on case 3 of Great Ace Attorney 1. I just figured I'd snag Yu-no while it was on sale, as my backlog of visual novels has dropped to like, three once I finish GAA.

I also have Punch Line, which I remember getting on sale for like $8, but I heard it's...not great? (Like even beyond the conceit of trying to look at panties so the world doesn't end or whatever it is).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

How's Needy Streamer Overload? I enjoyed DDLC, so I was curious about that one.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ahh, good to know. Thank you, all. Back to Great Ace Attorney I go!

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh this seems like a good time since i haven't mention it in a bit

everyone in this thread should play lady in mystery :hug: :hug: sure the translation is bad :hug: :hug: but you get detective ladies :hug: :hug: and historical crossdressing women in disguise x crossdressing women in disguise romance :hug: :hug: everyone be sure to play it :hug: :hug:

I am buying this in the next Steam sale!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

nah, Rena's fun in her own Episode and has some minor moments through the rest of it, but her characterization never feels nearly strong enough to override how bland and annoying and KYOOOOOOT~~~~~-obsessed she is. Out of a cast full of anime girls, she is the ur-anime girl.

I felt this in Episode 1 and a bit in 2, but she grew on me (and became a bit more complex) later on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I've seen people really talk up Clannad, but I can't get over all the character portraits looking like "Big Mouth, but anime". Does the Steam version let you change the art like the Steam versions of Higurashi do (or if not, is the game truly good enough to deal with the ugly art)?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

No. It's not too hard to get used to honestly, though alternatively one could just watch the KyoAni anime which both touches it up a tiny bit and might actually be an overall better version of the story in a lot of ways.

Ah, thank you!

Your avatar reminds me that I'm excited to play Omori on the Switch. :kiddo:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'd take it, IF it was a PSN version (laptop is a toss-up as to whether it will run)! I often don't mind engaging with media that contains some pretty...horrific content, so the above would be a ":stare: Good to know!" thing, rather than a complete deterrent for me.

(To be clear, I also love some wholesome-rear end media, too! :kiddo: I just played Unpacking and it was lovely.)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Man, for real? I am unreasonably excited about time loop mysteries. Give me all of the hot time loop garbage, just shovel it right into my mouth. Is Ryukishi the only writer on this one? Anyone got any opinions on this company's previous VNs?

:yeah: :same: times a hundred. I am the biggest sucker for time loop media (although I was warned away from trying 12 Minutes).

Absolutely grabbing this later today.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Any thoughts on The Centennial Case : A Shijima Story, particularly on PS4? It's on sale for $35 currently, don't think I've seen much talk of it here (positive or negative).

Great Ace Attorney continues to be Good as Hell. :dance:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Buried Stars finally went on sale on PSN, so I'm swooping on it this weekend!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Paradise Killer good

It was hands-down my favorite game of 2020, and is in my top 5 games of all time. :stare: "Vaporwave/city pop murder mystery" is literally some Junji Ito-style "THIS HOLE WAS MADE FOR ME".

However:

dmboogie posted:

fwiw its much more about the exploration, vibes, and hosed up dead god cultist world than mystery solving; being thorough enough in your exploration basically solves the entire thing for you and makes the courtroom sequence just you stating the obvious.

it's a fun ride to get there at least, and boy does it have banging tunes and evocative flavor text

do not play paradise killer if you are looking for something close to phoenix wright tbh

:yeah: Note that one of the draws is you choose how thorough you are in your investigation. Just booted up the game? Find a couple pieces of evidence after fifteen minutes? You can start the trial. Spend 30+ hours and collect every single item? You can start the trial.

The OST is loving fantastic. I got one person to play the game based off the soundtrack alone, and my non-gaming mom-in-law also asks about "that 80s-ish video game album you like". :allears:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The bad endings in Steins;gate are REAL good, particularly the cat girl's (blanking on her name).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I was gonna say, I was under the impression the main characters are all roughly the same age.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Huh, I was just grumbling the other day that House in Fata Morgana has never gone on sale on PSN (yes, yes, I'm sure it's worth full-price, don't yell at me)...glad I waited!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0438-CUSA15754_00-0000000000000001

Merry Christmas to me. :cheers:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

House in Fata Morgana is pretty dope so far!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I quite enjoyed Steins;gate, but I played Chaos;child shortly after and don't remember a single thing about it except there being stickers that like, killed people. :stare:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm excited for the Ghost Trick port!

Sakurazuka posted:

Just played through the Process of Elimination demo, seems like a pretty neat halfway point between Danganronpa and the Zero Escape games.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Paranormasight, by Square Enix and proudly released with the full co-operation and support of the Sumida City Tourism Division, the local museum, the tourist association, and the local community is pretty dang good.

I'm also excited to play both of these!

:dance:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thank you, thread, for bringing Misericorde to my attention, this ABSOLUTELY looks like my poo poo. Just bought it and will start it tomorrow night. :dance:

My laptop isn't great stats-wise but it can handle basic VNs like Higurashi, etc. Is this game roughly the same, requirements-wise?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

anyway, i played paradise killer a bit and I might have to drop it because it was giving me insane motion sickness.

Oh no! Did any of the accessibility settings help?

I'm obsessed with that game, as this thread (and the horror thread) may know. :eng101:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mindblast posted:

And holy gently caress that ost. What a bop. I have a hard time putting an exact word to it. I've seen people in yt comments refer to it as Vaporwave but when I check out that genre I don't get a lot of paradise killer like tracks. It feels like it has its own unique pace. Which is both great and sad because I want more and playing the ost on repeat doesn't magically make more songs pop out! :mad:

YES, the OST is loving FANTASTIC. And the best part is, it's customizable with a playlist. Love a song? Put it on loop for five hours! Hate a song (you're wrong and should feel bad)? Remove it from the playlist!

Vaporwave is a huge and diverse genre, so yeah, you're gonna get a broad range of different music types. The OST is DEFINITELY heavily inspired by the city pop genre, though.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I had a good time reading the wiki for this game (which I probably should not have done, but the premise was interesting so now I have spoiled myself on all of it).

Would it still be interesting to play if I know the major plot points? Seems like the kind of game that still might be enjoyable, since a lot of interesting stuff is separate from the main mystery.

The mystery is obviously the main draw, but I could still see someone enjoying just being in that weird-rear end world and its "lore". :)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mix. posted:

the visual novel version of cruelty squad is a game called producer 2021 that i am like one of twenty people who know it exists

Oh!!! Thorhighheels did the music (same person who did the Umurangi Generation OST) but I had no idea it was for an actual game, I just knew of the album. I'll look into this one!

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh you know i heard of another mystery visual novel recently called misericorde that you might like instead~

Starting it tonight! Got a fat-rear end joint rolled and everything.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Wow, buying nasty red avatar text for all of you LOSERS. :colbert:

Nah, I totally get it, Paradise Killer basically just my "This hole game was made for me!!!"...the only two things missing were NPCs having schedules or the player experiencing a time loop, haha. It was hella interesting reading how polarizing it was to y'all! :kiddo:

Redezga posted:

You almost always will come back to that place later, and there's an item that more or less echolocates where everything is located around you. Actually trying to get that and the movement powers makes the game a lot smoother to play, and you can find them all very early.

Yeah, save up for the movement abilities (the sauna/hot springs areas) ASAP. They're fairly cheap and will both speed up your traversal, as well as let you access more areas.

ANYWAY, I should have been asleep at midnight last night but stayed up until after 1 AM playing Misericorde instead. :cheers:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde! :munch: Slamming back another chapter as soon as I get home from work!

woodenchicken posted:

Oh wow, what a rabbit hole I didn't even know existed. That Hiroshi Nagai art, holy poo poo.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

paradise killer is the GOAT and I wish I could wipe it from my memory so I could experience it all over again

:hai: :cheers: Y'all know what's up!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Process of Elimination is out (in english, it was released in japanese two years back). as a big death game fan, i am hyped.

Oh, what the hell! I'm already playing Misericorde, eyeballing Paranormasight, and now MORE?! :shobon:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

tudabee posted:

So I'm a long time lurker of the thread (and forums in general) and I must say Misericorde is wonderful.

3. Soup. Not the Superior, just that someone gets away with "Soup"

I did a double-take the first time this popped up, ahaha.

Lord Bob posted:

I'm a few hours into Corpse Factory...

It is WAY more interesting than I expected it to be, it's been a nice surprise, and drip-fed those details over the few hours I've played (hence putting that block in spoilers, just in case anyone else wants to experience that slow set of reveals).

Oh my god, I cannot add more visual novels to my list right now! But I am! :argh:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde theory: I instantly feel like they want us to think Katherine and Margaret are plotting some shady poo poo, but I think they're just doing gay stuff together. :kiddo:

Also :lol: at the head nun being too awkward to just say "Yeah, Margaret's our first black nun!" :allears:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Genuinely looking forward to bedtime every night so I can see what happens next in Misericorde. :dance:

Quick question, are there ever any actual inputs (any choices, choosing a suspect, etc) or is this pure Higurashi-style "just keep reading" sound novel? Please ignore this question if it leads to spoilers! I'm mostly just curious if there's multiple endings.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This post has reminded me I still need to play Norco, as

https://twitter.com/Jon_Densetsu/status/1647357479695835144?cxt=HHwWkIDTtcq5y9wtAAAA

I enjoyed/am currently enjoying those other games!

Speaking of, what/how is Chicken Police? It looks cheesy as hell, and I mean this as a compliment.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde last night: so I got to the, uh, late-night "prank" (Knight-type person beheading a goat and then disappearing) :stare: I'm going to briefly replay the chapter though, as I want to take note of who was (allegedly) where while this was popping off.

I love mystery games/VNs so much, y'all. :kiddo:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Misericorde last night: so I got to the, uh, late-night "prank" (Knight-type person beheading a goat and then disappearing) :stare: I'm going to briefly replay the chapter though, as I want to take note of who was (allegedly) where while this was popping off.

I love mystery games/VNs so much, y'all. :kiddo:

So glad I went back to check, as I just noticed that Margaret is the only one of the nuns that emerged from their rooms with her regular outfit on, not PJs. Also wondering if Marta and Charity not stepping outside at the same time as the others that were supposedly in the misericorde room together is important

Red herrings or important? :confused: I must know!

Hmm, Darcy mentions that a farmer dude or somebody we haven't met yet lives nearby...so another possible unaccounted-for person on the night of the "prank",

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 21, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Darcy so far. :allears: If something bad happens to her, I will flip my poo poo, I love her and her weird stoned expression.

In other news, something called Ghostpia is getting localized and releasing next month; looks like it already released in March in Japan. Anybody have any thoughts?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nun murderin': So Kath the vulgar just claims the accused dude couldn't have done it because they were Together on the night of the murder and now I'm thinking of like four different possibilities of her role in things!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I feel like the one person on these forums who preferred Higurashi over Umineko. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I am enjoying Buried Stars so far!