Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Started playing G-senjou no Mao in bed at night with my ipad via splashtop, it just occurred to me to try and use remote desktop for VNs last week and it works really well even on my many years old ipad. Seems like a fun concept for a story although I wish the main character were less of a poo poo.

At least he's not as much of a poo poo as the green hair kid who I hope dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it actually worked great, the music kinda stuttered every 15-30 seconds for a half second or so but I think that might just be because I use an ipad 3 which is getting kinda long in the tooth, I played for a little bit the other day on my iphone 6 and it didn't have any problems.

This was on local network though, I don't know how well it would work over the internet, depends on your connection I guess

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hm weird, my router is supposed to be really good and I was never far away from it, wonder why it chopped occasionally

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nothing really, we were about to go to bed so I think my wife was just reading stuff usually

My computer is connected to the router through Ethernet and my iPad was maybe 30 feet away on the same level of the house with full signal, I really don't think anything was going on with the network, especially since it did run better on my phone. I think it was either splash top being buggy or my iPad not keeping up or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Steins Gate is a good game as long as you are willing to throw away like 15 hours on the bad parts to get to the really good parts

IMO it's worth it

I REALLY like the last half of stein's gate

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 28, 2015

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean I dunno it was sort of intriguing but I really wanted them to get on with it and wished Okabe was not such a creep (it's a LOT more tolerable if you play it again because you know more of what kind of person he really is when poo poo gets real but you have no idea about any of that at first)

I honestly don't know if I would have played it all the way through if people in the Vita thread hadn't said it's very slow, stay with it, it gets a lot better but I'm glad I did at least, it was my second favorite game this year after Undertale

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you like it even in chapter 1 it's pretty safe to say you will love the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

I'm enjoying S;G more and more but I'm worried about finishing it. What are some other VNs in the same vein?

Also am I going to be able to get the true ending on my own or will I need to resort to a guide or something? Is there even a true ending? I went into this one pretty much completely blind.

You will absolutely need a guide, there is one true ending

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Your first ending wasn't Suzuha's?

Wow, I figured everyone would get that one first

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean most of the endings involve whether or not you send a D-mail and to not get Suzuha's you have to like go into the menu and send it with no prompting other than the text and it's very easy to skip without realizing this is the first time in the game you actually have a meaningful choice to do it or not.

Every other time after that there's an icon on the dialogue box but it isn't there for that one, I looked when my wife was doing it the first time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's why I totally missed my cue the first time and I actually just assumed everyone would.

Good for you guys for getting the subtext that you the player had to do something right then because I didn't

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So what's the consensus in here on Root Double, if there is one? I liked 999 and VLR, would I probably like it also?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I tried to look it up on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have Uchikoshi's name anywhere on Root Double?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I played Extra and Unlimited and hadn't gotten around to Alternative yet because I was kinda burned out on the first two, maybe I should just wait until the new official translation comes out of it to play it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you really missed the actual best part of the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even though I hated the S;G main character at first they actually do a pretty good job of showing you that he's actually a good person who is just an awkward weirdo and also giving understandable reasons that the girls would come to like him instead of just being magically attracted to him

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the 2nd is way better but it kinda ends right as I thought it was getting going

I don't want to get any more specific but basically there were some cool scenes towards the end where I was like ok yeah it's getting going then it never really did anything with it in that game

Still haven't played 3 yet but I put it off long enough already that I figured I might as well wait and pay for the good translation now

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's supposedly one H-scene in Alternative that people say is like :nms: or something?

Maybe someone can just spoil it for me after I play the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's weird though I mean Steins Gate has a lot of plot threads that come together really well, I don't know how you do that by accident

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I just 100% ztd and I feel like it was a huge step down from vlr in tons of ways, and I was really looking forward to it before. Oh well.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was the Okabe timeline who actually researches time travel and sends the e-mail. Which is probably the same as one of the two above

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I bought Higurashi and I'm at the beginning part, how long is it like just high school sim before spooky stuff happens?

I am finding these characters and high school experience so far even less compelling than Muv Luv Extra which is not something I thought I would ever say

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

Your high school experience must have been pretty different from mine then, because the early Higurashi is eerily similar to what I did in high school: sit around with friends and have fun.

If you're not invested in the characters and don't like them, don't keep playing Higurashi. Horror/dread fiction doesn't work if you have, like, negative connection to the people involved.

I mean I didn't like any of the characters of Steins Gate at first but ended up liking that game a lot and was ambivalent about Muv Luv Extra but liked Unlimited so I'm willing to give it a chance if the part past the high school stuff is good

I kinda take for granted that in a lot of these anime games I'm gonna not like the first part where it's just suupa uguu kawaii high school adventure~~~~ but I'm willing to get through if it has like an interesting mystery or the poo poo that happens is compelling

I did like the high school poo poo in Persona 3 and 4. Those have probably been the only games where I enjoyed all the high school interactions all the time, just so you know that I don't like hate the genre of high school poo poo. I actually like it a lot sometimes, just this game seems way more anime trope-y than some other stuff I've played so far.

I guess to sum up, I like high school poo poo, it's just like the actual execution of the high school stuff in this isn't grabbing me but the actual plot might

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha I mean we'll see, maybe I'll still hate it later, but people have said it's good and I enjoyed P3/P4 and S;G based on people's recommendations online although I enjoyed P3 and 4 right away. I've enjoyed enough of these that have good reputations that I'm willing to gamble and invest some time in it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I was hoping that it followed the Suzuha ending, as that's the closest thing to a good sequel hook I saw in Steins;Gate, but oh well. I'll probably end up playing it and complaining about it anyway.

That would be great and it would have been cool and I almost said I hope they do that but 3 games out of one story is pushing it real hard

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Its real good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

I realize it's entirely subjective but I feel like I have to ask anyway, is it like S;G where even though most of the characters are awful the story ends up being strong enough to stand on its own (and in fact make some of the characters redeem themselves), or is it something I should put down if I'm finding it entirely grating and hope the snaggletoothed little monster girl gets thrown off a cliff.

Man I am worried that I agree with 100% of the things that the guy with the MASSIVE DOUCHEBAG title has said so far

Although the S;G cast definitely grows on you I would say

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think Higurashi really could have benefitted from a better localization. I'm also being generous and assuming the dialogue reads better in the original language, because it really seems bad to me. I still might power through it sometime, but the quality of the prose and dialogue is pretty low in the part that I've played.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I would probably be horrified!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean Kurisu and Suzuha are great from the beginning, Mayuri is harmless but at first I didn't like her because I thought her entire character was going to be "dumb girl" (like I didn't like having that as a character, not that I didn't like the character as a person), Daru is basically never not a creep even at the end, and Okarin isn't really all that sympathetic until he starts actually showing some real bravery/sacrifice which is more than halfway through the game

So I dunno, if you liked Okarin from the start or Daru at any point then that's cool but we are just gonna disagree forever I think

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they said "toodle-oo" to the original translators

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is Muvluv alternative supposed to come out this winter or next?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked Unlimited although I felt like it sort of ended right when it was picking up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

She doesn't like anime. At all.

Higurashi happens to be what I read last night so I can confirm it works just fine.

I used splashtop to read a couple things and it was fine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sea Sponge Run posted:

The thing that confused me the most about Steins;Gate are phone triggers not being selectable sometimes, but as it turns out some of them have a very short window for you to reply and you may have to learn when some of them come, and turn off autoskip in advance.

Just FYI.

I think the game pauses on each of the subsequent ones except for the first ending. I looked very specifically when my wife played it to see if I missed an obvious cue to do the thing but I didn't, it just goes right past it on your first try (no icon or anything) so I think people would have to generally be pretty astute to not get the first ending. I would be surprised if 90%+ people don't get that ending first.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Your "click to continue to the next line" cursor changes when you have the option to do something with your phone (call/send a message).

Yeah but does it on the very first ending trigger? I'm fairly sure it at least doesn't pause like the other ones do when you are skipping

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

smenj posted:

I think the trigger you lot are on about specifically doesn't appear on your very first time through that scene, but it does appear on replays or if you reload a save and do it again. I remember going through that scene, seeing the ending, then going back to make the choice and being surprised when the phone trigger option appeared. The trigger then appeared again for all the other big choices though, so I suspect it might be done that way on purpose just to force people to get one of the bad ends and give them an idea of how to get the rest. Of course, I could just be misremembering, or perhaps it was a bug.

Yes exactly

It definitely appears if you do it again but I watched my wife very carefully when she played it on a brand new save file on Vita because I saw it appeared when I played it again and I was like "did I really miss this?" but nope I didn't miss any obvious things. I hope it was on purpose honestly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno, it's also possible it could have gotten patched, I played it on the month of first Vita release

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just started and the music is really good but the writing just seems really amateurish to me so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks, nice to hear something else other than the pure dislike for it. I sort of want to get it as part of the humble bundle but eh.

I think any anime game on Steam with the "overwhelmingly positive" tag is a warning sign at this point. :(

Undertale and Stardew were great though