Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
So I've sold my old PC, translated a few documents and now I almost have the money to buy this shovel faced catte. drat you, economic crisis in Russia!

Any naming suggestions? It's a girl Exotic Shorthair. I want to name it Stupsi (as in German "Stupsnase", "upturned nose" in honor of my best lady friend). I also like Sananvapaus (Freedom of Speech in Finnish) but it's a bit too long.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Therion posted:

So I've sold my old PC, translated a few documents and now I almost have the money to buy this shovel faced catte. drat you, economic crisis in Russia!

Any naming suggestions? It's a girl Exotic Shorthair. I want to name it Stupsi (as in German "Stupsnase", "upturned nose" in honor of my best lady friend). I also like Sananvapaus (Freedom of Speech in Finnish) but it's a bit too long.

Shovel Knight?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
call a spade Spade

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you're russian, you'll end up calling it "loving poo poo-arse kot poo poo gently caress" anyway so you might as well just name it that

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Avshalom posted:

you're russian, you'll end up calling it "loving poo poo-arse kot poo poo gently caress" anyway so you might as well just name it that

It's not a kot, it's a koshka. Also she's too distinguished to swear at. Swearing at cats can lower their self esteem. Some do it to "neg" the cat but I don't play like that.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Munter.

Or Doug.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

Munter.

Or Doug.

My cat doesn't like being misgendered. How insensitive of you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Therion posted:

It's not a kot, it's a koshka. Also she's too distinguished to swear at. Swearing at cats can lower their self esteem. Some do it to "neg" the cat but I don't play like that.
...i'm embarrassed now. also i think you should name her malkeleh

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
serious question: do shovel-faced cats have the same health problems as flat-faced dogs? because i think that cat is seriously cute and i need to know whether i should feel the same guilt that i experience when i coo over a puglet

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Avshalom posted:

serious question: do shovel-faced cats have the same health problems as flat-faced dogs? because i think that cat is seriously cute and i need to know whether i should feel the same guilt that i experience when i coo over a puglet

They do tend to have issues and several goons have cat shamed me over this cat, but I've talked to several vets I know IRL and from what I've been told brachy cats tend to have less health issues than brachy dogs. To be honest, before people on the Internet told me of them I wasn't aware of such issues as I've had another brachy cat for 12 years now and she's never had any issues at all. This kitten is short haired and will be living in a pretty cool flat so I doubt she'll have heat related problems. I'm more worried about her befriending my existing cat, who is pretty mean.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 13, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
then you should call her shandeh, it means "shame"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Therion posted:

My cat doesn't like being misgendered. How insensitive of you.

Doug can totally be a girl name when your cat has a face like a shovel IT IS A PUN

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm still thinking on it but trending towards Stupsi. She's just been brought home and introduced to my elder catte.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
zhopka, you're welcome.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Smashurbanipal posted:

zhopka, you're welcome.

Her face kind of looks like a butt, but she will be staying with my relatives and a two year old child while I'll be living abroad since my next year, until I find a place in the UK that will allow me to keep a pet. So I'd prefer her name to be something decent.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 15, 2015

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Egg

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Blumpkin.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Avshalom posted:

yes

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

I know that some people have ideological objections to brachy cats but I've already adopted this one and I'll do my best to take care of her regardless of whether she'll have problems or not. My friends who have similar cats haven't reported any issues aside from the occasional sneezing. I understand that some might dislike me for supporting breeders who produce such animals, and they have the right to do so, but I just saw this one and fell in love with her instantly. Something inside me told me to get this cat. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time together with her. She also turned out to have a sassy and audacious personality, which I like.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 15, 2015

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

i literally do not care and hope you enjoy your cat for years to come, the info is there though for people who want to know more then "i guess they sneeze a lot".

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Therion posted:

... but I've already adopted this one ...

Purchased. You purchased your kitty. :) Buying an animal is not a bad thing. People seem to want to use words like rescue or adopt even in situations like this. My guess is they feel enough pressure from the rescue movement to try to obscure the fact that they've bought an animal, but not enough pressure to actually rescue. I don't blame you though. The rescue movement can be kind of nuts.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

I'm not a native English speaker and I didn't know that adopting necessarily meant getting one from a rescue :) If I will ever decide on getting a vanilla cat I'll almost certainly adopt it.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 16, 2015

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Pretty cat! I noticed from the picture you posted the water bowl and food dish are right up against the litter box. I'd recommend moving them apart at least a few feet to avoid possible cross contamination.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

this is a cute cat, I like her. post more pics

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Therion posted:

They do tend to have issues and several goons have cat shamed me over this cat, but I've talked to several vets I know IRL and from what I've been told brachy cats tend to have less health issues than brachy dogs. To be honest, before people on the Internet told me of them I wasn't aware of such issues as I've had another brachy cat for 12 years now and she's never had any issues at all. This kitten is short haired and will be living in a pretty cool flat so I doubt she'll have heat related problems. I'm more worried about her befriending my existing cat, who is pretty mean.

That cat is certainly a lot less uglier than the one in the OP.

Just call her Shovel-face.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That cat is certainly a lot less uglier than the one in the OP.

Just call her Shovel-face.

"That cat" appears to be the OPs first cat, not the shovel-face cat in question.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Vasilisa Prekrasnaya / Василиса Прекрасная

Your other cat is beautiful, too. What's her name?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Radio! posted:

this is a cute cat, I like her. post more pics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2e8DyT6_Mk

Oh and here are the parents. I can't even imagine two Exotic Shorthairs having sex, they look like plush toys. I was inspired to get one by this picture.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Vasilisa Prekrasnaya / Василиса Прекрасная

Your other cat is beautiful, too. What's her name?

It's Alice.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 17, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If you're not against using Spanish, Pala is Spanish for shovel.

It's hard to think of names when you don't know how the cat acts.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Cheshire? If you're set on a girl name then maybe Carroll? Verna? Verna Felton was actress who did the voice for the Queen of Hearts in Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 17, 2015

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Jytky

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
axe wound

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Therion posted:

It's Alice.

whoa wait up my russian prof in college told us that russian people never give animals people names because it is Not Done. was I lied to???

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Radio! posted:

whoa wait up my russian prof in college told us that russian people never give animals people names because it is Not Done. was I lied to???

I don't know who told you that, at least for male cats all popular names are people's :haw:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
drat that is an ugly cat.

you should call it Merrick

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

'i say i say i say, my cat's got no nose!'

'how does it smell then?'

'terrible'

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

think i found your cat

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Connie the Concave Faced Cat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

How about Chicxulub? Chix for short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Peigneur?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

• Locked thread