Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Professor Booty was abducted by aliens. He'll be back in about 20 years to LP XCOM 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rick_Hunter posted:

The Professor went on vacation.

Apparently it was a three-hour tour :ohdear:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

monster on a stick posted:

Apparently it was a three-hour tour :ohdear:

Then why didn't he build a laptop out of a coconut? :mad:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

Then why didn't he build a laptop out of a coconut? :mad:

Gilligan Jessica Colton thought the coconut husks were garbage and threw them into the lagoon.

RoscoMcQueen
May 10, 2016
Signed up (and paid) for the forum just to find out if this would be continuing, it's the first subscribtion on YouTube I look at!

If you're still recruiting for soldiers I'd love to be put on the list! (Ideally with the Scottish accent.)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

RoscoMcQueen posted:

Signed up (and paid) for the forum just to find out if this would be continuing, it's the first subscribtion on YouTube I look at!

If you're still recruiting for soldiers I'd love to be put on the list! (Ideally with the Scottish accent.)

Well, welcome to the forums. ProfBooty is on vacation and will pick back up when he returns.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

RoscoMcQueen posted:

If you desperately need a XCOM or XCOM 2 fix, Beaglerush is back to doing his LPs.

RoscoMcQueen
May 10, 2016
Thanks for the welcoming! I do watch Beaglerush but prefer the tactical breakdown from ProfBooty and Kidneyman. I've bought Xcom2 but haven't started it yet as I wanted to finish 'one last long war campaign'. Renamed my soldiers from my Facebook friends list to make it a bit more poignant when I accidentally walk them into a cryssalid trap!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

If you desperately need a XCOM or XCOM 2 fix, Beaglerush is back to doing his LPs.

This dude is substantially better at XCOM 2 than Christopher Odd (who I am convinced has fudged his RNG in his favour).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Rabbi T. White posted:

This dude is substantially better at XCOM 2 than Christopher Odd (who I am convinced has fudged his RNG in his favour).

Christopher Odd did seem to survive things he should not have, but my biggest gripes were "Holy loving poo poo, stop waffling and just make a decision already" and "Order Of Operations, goddammit." Do not fan fire an enemy with 6 armor and then afterwards shred their armor off.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I keep vainly hoping every day that we get to see more alien slaughter.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I keep vainly hoping every day that we get to see more alien slaughter.

I hope you'll attend the ProfessorBooty candlelight vigil this evening then. In this trying time, we could all use the extra support.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

RickVoid posted:

I hope you'll attend the ProfessorBooty candlelight vigil this evening then. In this trying time, we could all use the extra support.

:pray: :iiam: :pray:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The sad part is that after coming out of a Long War campaign that this inspired me to play, and on to XCOM 2, I feel like it's actually a step down in tactical depth. (Although the strategic level seems to be much improved.)

Edit: VVV Oddly enough, most of the time when I managed to figure out situations in Long War it generally ended with "Hell yeah, check out my sniper[or rocketeer] killing six guys" anyway. But yeah, I take your point that it's just a deliberately different style of play.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 16, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Akratic Method posted:

The sad part is that after coming out of a Long War campaign that this inspired me to play, and on to XCOM 2, I feel like it's actually a step down in tactical depth. (Although the strategic level seems to be much improved.)

The point of long war is to give you the "Hell yeah, I figured that difficult situation out!" feeling. The point of XCOM2 is to give you the "Hell yeah, did you see my sniper shoot 3 guys then zipline over to kill three more?" feeling.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
XCOM 1 is a Tom Clancy Novel.
XCOM 2 is a Michael Bay film.
Happy to help.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

XCOM 1 is a Tom Clancy Novel.
XCOM 2 is a Michael Bay film.
Happy to help.

Does that make Long War Red Rabbit?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I hope Prof is OK and didn't get stuck with a nasty virus/base defense mission.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The virus is DS3, going by Booty's post history

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The virus is DS3, going by Booty's post history

Oh wow, I didn't realize they came out with DX SCom 3 so quickly.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
At least he's not dead...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I wonder what will come out next, the next episode of the LP or Kentucky Route Zero episode 4.

EDIT: or "Winds of Winter"

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 30, 2016

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

sincx posted:

At least he's not dead...

Stalk him there. Harass him until he returns to us!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

he is cheating on us with that dark souls bitch. no, not even the real one, her OTHER sister

we should slash dark souls 3's tires and leave her a note not to gently caress with our man

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wow, this thread sure is going.... somewhere

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nah they just miss the vids

I'd love to see a new one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Grapplejack posted:

Nah they just miss the vids

I'd love to see a new one.

Same.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So ProfessorBooty lives. Perhaps someday he will return to us.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Ehhhhh this was/is very ambitious long war just seems way too grindy and xcom2 or DS3 are really fun games so one could understand him just not feeling any urge to come back

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering how many videos he was pumping out and how long they were getting, I think a break is exactly what he needs. Long War is a real grind alright and I'm glad XCOM 2 is so fast and fun and wasn't tempted to go down the feature bloat route of this mod.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Oh, yeah, I would definitely understand either needing a break or stopping entirely; this mainly leaves me without a "wow this guy is good at this hard rear end tactics game" (I want difficulty modded xcom2 really) LP that updates regularly. :(

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm in the same boat of Booty being perfectly welcome to take a break from a long haul type game, but at least let us know what's up man. You just said 2 weeks! It also has me kind of worried about Kidneyman too. Is he okay?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
When I made a comment about this part of LW being a long grind, that was an understatement.

Let's take getting to the point of being able to attack the Temple Ship, nothing else.

The Hyperwave Relay by itself takes 15 power, and the Gollop Chamber takes 35 (so you would need two Thermo Generators to power them alone. Or an Elerium Generator and two Fusions, but let's go with the cheap option.) The price?

2300 credits, 120 alloys, 120 Elerium, and 84 days of in-game time.

I don't think Prof can build any more Thermos. So let's say Elerium and one regular generator since it looks like he has some spare power. That brings him to 2120 credits, 180 alloys, 180 Elerium, and 77 days of in-game time.

That's not including having to buy at least one Firestorm (at 525-750 credits, 120 Elerium, 180 alloys, 10 Meld, 4 power sources, and 8 flight computers apiece) per continent to take down the Overseer, nor the costs in building MECs or upgrading his weapons to Pulse/Plasma because Gauss is going to get long in the tooth soon.

You spend half of LW just grinding poo poo.

Even if Prof makes highlight clips of the missions he has to go on to get supplies, he still has to play the mission. I'm guessing he has at least another 100 missions to go, probably more.

Taking a long break is fine.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think there's a glaring problem here, you don't have enough room in your base to build everything you need. Unless theres a tech that he can research that lets him mine out another floor or two but at a more expensive rate, he's gonna be screwed over pretty badly by the want/need to build stuff but there being no room for it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

I think there's a glaring problem here, you don't have enough room in your base to build everything you need. Unless theres a tech that he can research that lets him mine out another floor or two but at a more expensive rate, he's gonna be screwed over pretty badly by the want/need to build stuff but there being no room for it.

He can probably get rid of the laboratory once research is done and if he needs more space he can trash the workshop.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Eventually yes, he'd run out of research and could scrap the labs, not sure I'd ever scrap a workshop. He can also tear down any older powerplants he has left for Elerium Generators but that means more missions (and wounds and deaths and etc.)

During my run I got royally pissed when I saw that I'd have to reorganize my base because the stupid Gollop Chamber needed it's own Elerium Generator.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Popping in to say that i love the series and amazed that people other than Beagle play this game.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I think there's a glaring problem here, you don't have enough room in your base to build everything you need.
Ouch, right in the immersion.

Sorry XCOM, your base is right next to a school on one side, and the other side is zoned for Light Residential, not Saving The World. While we appreciate you're on the cusp of winning this whole thing once and for all, please stay within the guidelines of the 4x7 base layout mandated in the founding XCOM documents.

Makes all kinds of sense in XCOM2 where your base is a ship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hey, Prof, your two month vacation is over :v:

• Locked thread