Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere6/doc/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-release-notes.html

Go grab it and install it across your infrastructure today! Just watch out for some minor gotchas from the release notes.

quote:

ESXi is shown as Guest OS option when you create a new virtual machine
When you create a new virtual machine, the Guest OS Version drop-down menu displays the options VMware ESXi 6.x, VMware ESXi 5.x, and VMware ESX 4.x. Running ESXi as a Guest OS and using these OS selections is unsupported. Consult KB 2009916 for a discussion of the constraints and risks.

Refer to the VMware Compatibility Guide for the list of supported VMware guest operating systems.

Workaround: Do not select these any of these options.

Here's a new option, but just ignore it please.

quote:

You might not be able to start Telnet by using the syntax command after you install VMware Tools on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012
After you install VMware Tools on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 guest operating systems, the default host application is set to VMware Tools. You cannot open Telnet by using the start telnet://xx.xx.xx.xx command. The following error message is displayed: Make sure the virtual machine's configuration allows the guest to open host applications.

Workaround: In the Windows command prompt, run cmd->telnet to open the Telnet interactive prompt and then start Telnet sessions.

How do you break telnet on Windows?

quote:

The Windows Installer for vCenter Server stops if the password for the administrator account of the Platform Services Controller contains either non-ASCII or high-ASCII characters
During installation, you cannot specify a Platform Services Controller administrator password that includes non-ASCII or high-ASCII characters, but you can change the password after installation. If you then install a vCenter Server system, and connect that system to the Platform Services Controller, the installation fails.

English only, USA USA USA. Also what's validation

quote:

The vCenter Server Appliance scripted installer fails if more DNS servers are provided simultaneously
The scripted installation of vCenter Server Appliance fails if you provide more than one DNS server during the installation process.

Workaround: You should use only one DNS server at a time, and after the installation has finished, you can add more DNS servers.

It is 1970 and we cannot support more than 1 server name at a time

quote:

The vCenter Server Appliance scripted installer allows you to proceed with the installation with less than 15 GB of available disk space, which is below the minimum requirement
When installing vCenter Server Appliance using the scripted installer, the tool proceeds to install the software on hosts with less than 15 GB space available on the datastore. The installer proceeds, but vCenter Server Appliance might fail to power on the virtual machine.

Workaround: You should ensure that the ESXi host has at least 15 GB available space.

What is free space validation and why do I need it

quote:

In the vSphere Web Client, the direction of the traffic filtering and marking rules is inverted compared with vSphere Web Client 5.5
The direction of a traffic rule appears inverted in the vSphere Web Client in the following cases:

After you upgrade vSphere Web Client 5.5 to vSphere Web Client 6.0, the direction of existing traffic rules on a distributed switch is inverted.

If you manually redefine traffic rules from a vSphere 5.5 environment into a vSphere 6.0 environment, the traffic rules are applied to traffic in the opposite direction.

In vSphere Web Client 5.5, the meaning of "ingress" and "egress" in traffic marking rules is reversed compared with "ingress" and "egress" in the other features of distributed switches, such as traffic shaping, where the direction is determined with regard to the switch. For example, "ingress" in traffic rules stands for traffic leaving the switch while for the other features it stands for traffic entering the switch.

Literally reversing the meaning of words

quote:

Right-click menus are not usable in the vSphere Web Client on Mac OS with the Firefox browser
When using the vSphere Web Client on a Mac OS with the Firefox browser (versions 34 or later), the right-click menus are not usable because they disappear. A recent upgrade of Firefox results in issue with Flash player, and right-click menus are affected.

Workaround: Perform one of the following workarounds:

Use Ctrl+left-click to access a right-click menu.

Instead of using the right-click menu for an object, select the object and use the Actions drop-down menu. This is located in the top title area of the center workspace, next to the selected object's name.

Flash supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use xenserver OP

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
thank you for this PSA, I will not be upgrading.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if u run websphere on vsphere is it a shell world

pram
Jun 10, 2001
vmware is going to be novell in 10 years

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and by that i mean obsolete poo poo on life support from ancient support contracts

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

but xenserver sucks and kvm is lol so whats left

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
xenserver is suiting my (small business) needs

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 18, 2015

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
can i use vSphere to run vBulletin 2.2.9

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VMware did a phone screen with me once and then didn't call me back for eleven months

that's p much all I know about them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:xd:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

triggered

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

vmware is going to be novell in 10 years

pram posted:

and by that i mean obsolete poo poo on life support from ancient support contracts

i think this is vmware right now

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

thanks OP but I'll stick with 5.5. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
docker going to own vmware

• Locked thread