Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i really wish the loot in chalice dungeons had something to do with their difficulty. one time i got an absolutely horrid room in a lower loran root, i got to the gold chest room but inside there were two wolves, two psycho lady things, and a bunch of spiders when it's normally just a big empty room with one "miniboss" enemy guarding it.

open the gold chest and it's a bunch of ritual blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hes not bad in NG+ when youve got the stats and skill for him. but i can imagine him totally destroying a first timer, hes one of the hardest chalice bosses

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tip for npc hunters: use a fairly quick weapon (sawhunter, longsword, etc.) and just keep hitting R1. they will stupidly wander into your flurry over and over

some NPCs are a little trigger happy but you just need to be a bit more careful with them, they will still act like total idiots

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

the saw cleaver is insanely good and for my money, the best starting weapon

yeah pretty much

the transformed bandit axe has an extremely wicked charge-up attack though that is insanely loving useful

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tfw youre on ng++ and you kill father gascione in a flash and he doesnt touch you once

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wonder if everyone disappearing on the blood moon meant they werent actually there and it was just part of the illusion? even the people you rescue go insane post-bloodmoon or give birth to celestial babies

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*prays for easy first boss on cursed iz dungeon* *gets v2 undead giant in the tiniest boss room that can roll*

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

all the changes they made in the DS2 re-release are fantastic. it actually made the DLCs look kind of lovely in comparison

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

why would they put snap-in backstabs when bloodborne already resolved this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

its easier than bloodborne cos the hp bars of bosses are tiny

you can also hide behind a giant shield the whole game instead of learning how to dodge

the amount of iframes you get from rolling in dark souls is next to nothing compared to bloodborne, but it's there

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Friendly Tumour posted:

nope! you can do a running attack afterwards though. it's sometimes useful if you master it

backstep does have iframes. it's just a tiny window, you need to be incredibly precise and the payoff is big

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hope dark souls 3 brings back DS1 style iframes and stuff. having iframes as a loving stat you need to invest into was retarded

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the shield was put in the game as a jab at dark souls. it barely blocks damage at all and it expends all of your stamina, even when blocking basic attacks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

today a kirkhammer NPC hunter blocked my attacks with the hammer and i was loving furious

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

I'm insanely jealous of the fun you are about to have

i just played and beat it and did everything starting like 2 weeks ago and im jealous

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

bloodborne is my favorite souls game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay cool time to stop playing the main game forever and just play too-hard chalice dungeons.

there are points where you need specific materials that you can only obtain from spots in the story, to keep you from getting ridiculously strong for the story with level 6 bloodgems

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just rolled a great ithyll root where a ptheumarian descendant rolled as a regular enemy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

man that is hosed lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Think dark souls III will have chalice dungeons?

i loving hope so. i also hope doing coop for them is way easier

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i want to fight it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Idk if Demons is actually faster but it's just much erm. Floatier I guess is the word, especially in soul form because you dont make any noise and you feel like you're gliding over everything. It's noticeable in demon's copious platforming too, there's lots of secrets they pepper around which require you to do jumps that don't even seem like they should work and feel like breaking a physics engine or something, like getting the thief's ring or some of the jumps in 2-2.

the controls in DeS were so lovely walking across a narrow beam was p much one of the hardest things to do in the game. dark souls improved this a shitload

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

upgrading armor was lame and im glad they got rid of it in bloodborne

i hope the bloodgem system or something similar comes back because that little random loot element is great

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im okay with finding ores around the world and stuff for upgrades as long as at some point you can buy infinite quantities of the stuff so that youre not grinding particular enemies for chunks and poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so vaatvidya has a breakdown of the gamescom demo. its a really long video so

summary:
weapon arts:
-weapon arts can be an alternate stance that enables new moves, or a special attack on its own. it is binded to L2, and is actually based on the kind of shield you have.
-some shields can parry, others have weapon arts enabled, and others slam.
-the actual attack is based on the weapon. some examples are a big uninterrupted uppercut for the greatsword, a roar that boosts your attack power with the axe, a spin attack with dual curved swords, etc.
-these special moves consume "weapon art points," they can only be recovered by resting at bonfires. if you're out of points you can still do the special attacks but they will deal way less damage

other stuff:
-parrying is dark souls 1 style, you need to parry right before the enemy connects for it to work, and it will only give you a very brief window for a riposte.
-rolling is demon souls/dark souls 1 style. it's not as forgiving as bloodborne but it beats the poo poo out of ds2
-no lifegems or anything like them, estus flask use is very fast and recovers health almost instantly
-DS1 style backstabbing is back, but the position for it is a lot pickier and the "smarter" enemies (proper hollow knights and such) have moves designed to punish you for trying to get behind them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wonder if invasions are still going to be handled the same way. i dont know i think at this point its evident that the whole invasion mechanic from the souls games is something that sounds cool on paper but actually sucks in practice. bloodborne only has invasions in one optional area and i felt blessed for that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

id like invasions a lot more if they only happened as a result of you summoning phantoms. it's a way to balance things for the extra help you're getting, you've got a partner and the invader has the environment and enemies.

level design also plays a huge part in how fun invasions are. dark souls 2 just had really massive levels you could spend hours hunting someone down in whereas demons had really straightforward stages that made it easy to find eachother, dark souls 1 took it to another level and had poo poo like sen's fortress which was invasion paradiso

01011001 posted:

soul memory was awful, so was not having consistently available invasion items

ds2's design punished invading hard, they really overreacted to the complaints about dickwraiths in ds1.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

This game is so loving good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cainhurst is incredible

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i found the snakes to be ez but the snake guys who sneak up on you and insta-kill you have made me jump once or twice

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its really cool you can make them fight eachother

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hiding boss weapons and stuff behind specific upgrades was dumb. dsii did the right thing you just get the boss soul and you can buy the weapon/spell with it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the remade ds2 with the new enemy placement and AI and stuff is rly rly good

the NG+ is like a whole new game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i would believe dark souls 1 to be a perfect game if they deleted the entire lava section instead of keeping it in a half finished state

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

I have never not used the covenant shortcut to skip most of that area so I have no idea how bad it really is

they had to patch the dragonbutts to do nothing unless you physically touched them (before they all ganged up on you and it was loving horrible lol) and i mean really its just a big empty wasteland and you hear the lava BROARBROARBROARBROARBROAR and its boring but not terrible

bed of chaos is one of the worst video game bosses in any game, ever though and so is Ceaseless

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you could trick ceaseless into killing himself by luring him towards the fog gate, he would lunge and try to crush you with his fist and if he missed you he would just fall to his death

the problem is that his fist had the hitbox of the entire game and instakills so you had to time a roll or get lucky, and this trick only works the first time you fight him so if you gently caress up and get killed then you better go buy a bigass fire resistant shield and be ready to just tank him for 5 minutes while taking potshots at his tentacle things

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

What got improved in ds2 with the expansion

the placement of everything was redesigned for a far more pleasant experience

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

release the souls boss tier list

it better have tower knight from demons up high, that dude ruled, "yeah i'm 10x your size, welcome to demons souls bitch"

the first time i fought tower knight i just ran there straight from 1-1 with a ton of souls on me like an idiot and i didnt expect another boss so soon

the big cutscene plays with the huge knight and like a million archers training their crossbows on me and im thinking "woah wtf is something going to save me" and then boss music just starts playing and i got loving owned

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

demon souls still has the best bosses cause they were all really unique fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cursed iz owns because the alien mobs drop gems like candy and they spawn in hordes