Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm looking forward to play this digital game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm considering emulating kings field 4 since i've just finished my latest runthrough of DS2 and i don't think i can really play DS1 any more

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just booted KF4. let's game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hmmm, there's no sound from the iso :/ idk if that's a problem with the emulator or the image

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

i tried to play kf1 but boy that game is a nightmare. crazy to see that the design philosophy behind souls was in development that long ago though, even though the tech made it really hard for them to realize their ideas.

i've gotten about halfway through KF4 before, and it was really fun once i got past the clunkyness, but just walking around the opening area made me sort of sick, so idk if i'm going to keep going through it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE PENETRATOR posted:

sounds like ur roms hosed upbtich

my rom is a piece of poo poo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

those dumb things are probably my favorite part of the series. i like the video where a hacker made his character shoot out 100 of them a minute, and he just followed people around with them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not going to be able to play this until a month after release, so i've given up on avoiding spoilers. the bosses look good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycobladder posted:

I have looked at every single spoiler image and info I could get my hands on, game is gonna be sicker than you can imagine. Just... dont look at the trophy list, that was a little too much actually.

as soon as i saw that i closed out of it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SM64Guy posted:

as long as they arent dark souls 2 bosses that were all the drat same ill be happy probably

the two i've seen have similarities between them, but are much different than ds2 bosses

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Protagonist posted:

they took jumping out entirely right?

pretty good call imo

i sort of like jumping in souls games, even though it's generally terribly implemented

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the town-npc interaction like? is it similar to majula and firelink, where rescuing or helping people in the world brings them back to a central area? or is it more like you just find them out in the wild once in a while?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, did they animate mouths for speech this time? that's a small thing about souls games that's always been strange to me. like they don't want to liscense middleware that synchs sounds to mouth movement or something?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

No but if you gesture at npcs they have reaction animations now

that's really sick. my favorite part of the ds2 DLCs were all of the personality they gave to npc invaders and co-op phantoms. like that one dude who bows to the ivory king when you fight him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

good to see that dark wraiths are back, and better than ever

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there any sort of equivalent of curse in this one?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just placed an order on amazon for this. getting a ps4 next saturday. can't loving wait.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just got it in the mail, but won't be getting a PS4 until the weekend. this is the first console game i've bought in 10 years, so i was surprised that they don't come with manuals of any sort any more apparently

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It has a digital manual once you put the disk in the console. Also drat that's a long time

i missed the entire last generation, outside of briefly sharing an apartment with a guy who had one. my computer at the time was essentially a 360, so i was able to enjoy modern games for that entire generation. just over the last year has my rig really begun to be outclassed, which lead to me buying a PS4.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

stoutfish posted:

should of just put that 500 dollars into your pc so you can play games on it for another ten years

there's not really anything salvageable in there. i'd have to build an entirely new rig. i'm splitting it with a friend anyway, so it's really only 200 bucks or so, and he'll be here longer than i will, so he'll probably buy me out of my shares once we part ways.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just got this. it's great, but i'm pretty bad for some reason (i've beaten both DSes multiple times solo). i think a lot of it has to do with pacing so far. once i start to get the pacing down i think i'll be a lot better.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I went through the same thing, it has a different flow from the other games you have to adjust to. What weapons did you choose

blunderbuss and axe, which i'm not really liking so far. i can't believe i'm getting owned by the early game. i feel like such a scrub.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i one shotted cleric beast though, so that made me feel a little better about myself.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think the "roll" is throwing me off. my last souls experience was fast rolling in DS1, so i'm used being able to use that to easily outmaneuver everything, but the guy in Bloodborne isn't able to creates gaps quite as fast

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like the kirkhammer a lot. the longsword weak attack is a lot better than the axe, and the greathammer strong attack is really good at breaking poise. i've put my first handful of shards into that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

The axe takes some getting used to. My preference is to use it 2H and then learn the timing on the R2 charge attack. If you do it correctly, it knocks the enemies down to the ground and then you can go in and easily finish them off.

yeah, i was noticing that as i was playing through, even though i've switched to KH at this point. i didn't like it at first, but that first gauntlet of like 20 villagers gathered around the pyre is a really great training ground type area.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i took gascoine down in 2, but it was a really tense fight. i sort of lucked out by stumbling into a back alley in the graveyard while he was in beastmode, which reduced his mobility and let me toss two finishing molotvs at him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, i was going into inventory to check some new armor, and a hand picked me up and dropped me to my death

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also the main complaint about lamps is seeming weird to me so far. with how far into i am, they actually seem about as common as DS1's bonfires

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i meant that i beat it in a single try. i apologize about my brain damage.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love it so far, despite being thrown by the changes at first. i'm at the dude with the machinegun in the tower, and it's really fun making my way up there. i tried the other route and almost beat the dickwraith hunter, but he managed to combo me with a sliver of his health left.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i accidentally shot the tower dude off with a repeating pistol trying to stun him so i could close distance. the dude at the bottom was a bit harder, but i managed to bait him over to the ramp that leads into his area, and kirk hammered his brains in.

blood starved beast seems like a really fun fight. i got him down to 2/3rds and he changed patterns, which makes it seem like the fight is going to be harder than i anticipated at first.

i like the fact i can go back to the opening areas to try out new weapons, and it seems like the quadroped beasts in front of BSB always drop the first upgrade materials, so i guess i could even grind up all of the lower level weapons if i really wanted to put in the time

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

01011001 posted:

remember to go back to the tower you shot the guy off of and pick up his stuff

yeah, i got the badge or whatever off his corpse. i don't think i picked up anything else.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i tried blood starved beast about 5 times today before i had to stop playing and let my roomie use the tv. my best attempt involved not locking on and baiting it into swipes that i rolled through, and then punished it with a strong attack. that worked out pretty well, but getting caught once in its freak-out attack is an instant kill for me at my level. i'll have to keep at it tomorrow. can you parry this thing, out of curiosity?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the load times are just now getting to me. i hope that gets patched asap.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AHungryRobot posted:

you can parry him but i find that gets pretty risky in his last phase. i just dodge through his poo poo and hit his rear end until he dies.

i will do that. maybe buy some more molotovs too...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's not terrible, but it's just enough where it's making it tedious to do this boss run over and over

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i took a second shot, and beat him just by rolling without using consumables. i'm glad i played my last two souls games no shield, because it's made me 100 times better at dodging and attacking without a lock-on.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had the sack guys spoiled for me, but this place is still pretty cool. i gotta hand it to a modern game dev for making a place that players are trapped in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

im playeing this. i chose the axe/halberd as my starting weapon, but ill probably change it once i pick something else up. do u really need ps+ to play this online? i got a free trial anyway.

from my experience you're swimming in upgrade mats after a while, and can farm at least the early ones, so feel free to go wild w/ trying out weapons and upgrading them in the first tier