Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Or run outside, sometimes that helps, gives you more room and sometimes you can get them to screw up their pathfinding.

They're some dicks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

oh lol that may be the actual worst one - he dies free if you walk away and is annoying/boring if you don't - did from ever say if that method of killing him was intended?

it has to be intentional, there's an animation for it and everything

also I think Micolash might be my least favorite Souls boss that isn't bed of chaos. love his lines and voice acting and the atmosphere but the fight is just so tedious and then on NG+ A Call Beyond is a likely one-shot and you do it all again

Its cool because he's funny and has great lines and poo poo though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finally got plat. All I had left after playing the game back in March/April was getting the two non-umbilical endings, which I just did in the last couple days. First game I actually liked enough to bother getting every trophy for :toot:

Now to keep playing a whole lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

U might need to beat the cleric beast to be able to buy the door item idk. But if u beat blood starved beast u should be fine qith.cleric

You do need to kill cleric beast to buy the door opening thing i don't remember the name of, this is correct

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

do the transform attack (moonlight greatsword to claymore)

L2 and transform attack on HMS are so perfect, they're the best reasons to use the weapon.

I need to get some good nourishing gems on my HMS guy so it can really shine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least he never got far enough to discover that, had he been allowed to co-op with his friend, the boss kill would only count for one of them, not both.

Somehow the presence of limited co-op routinely tricks people into expecting that Souls games are like Diablo, where you can play from beginning to end with your pals. And when they discover that you can't the reaction is never "oh, I guess this is a predominantly single-player game with limited multiplayer features" but instead "this is bullshit I should be able to play with my friends however and whenever I want"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

i, too, was got

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

when i first tried to play ds1 like 5 years ago or whatever i got stuck on taurus demon and died probably ten times, and decided to come back to it later. like 4 months later i was hooked for life.

This but I basically stopped right after the Undead Asylum. For some reason it just didn't click. Then I came back after getting bored with GW2 and ended up completely hooked, then later got a PS3 and played Demon's Souls and loved it even more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

well, objectively, ludwigs is the best with high stats, the saw cleaver is probably the best with regular stats. but whats best for 1 person isnt necessarily best for another

Saw Cleaver's DPS beats out Ludwig's on bosses unless you've got completely bonkers stats (that is, probably higher than level 100-150). Beast Blood Pellets help, too, because the Saw weapons build beasthood very quickly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

yeah, like i said, with high stats. :P

Oh yeah, you did say "regular stats" for Saw Cleaver. I read that as "low stats" for some reason.

Yep you're 100% right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah but u gotta admit the dlc cleared a lot up in every regard

The DLC added some really great backstory that made the story even more tragic and it definitely did answer a few questions

In Training posted:

HMS is so awesome because it's also a friggin gun

Best moonlight sword in the series, and best-looking too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chalice dungeons have a few normal enemy bosses but the pig is the winner

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUacrPcCcKw

id like to point out that this fight was in a cursed/fetid/rotted depth 5 dungeon

I used to farm those dudes for Chunks. Easy as pie.

This video reminded me of how beautiful the Chikage is. I'm so glad I said "gently caress the PvP meta level" and took my Skill/Bloodtinge dude to 150 so now he has 50 in each. He's on NG++ now and I've had enough chunks and rocks to +10 the Threaded Cane, Rakuyo, Burial Blade, a Lost Chikage, and the Blade of Mercy, so now I have a ton of fun weapons to play with. Gonna +10 the Saif and the Church Pick next.

On NG+ I made the mistake of trying to fight Maria with the Chikage for maximum blood without taking into account that she probably has really high blood resistance :v: This time I'm gonna use the Burial Blade, Gehrman's proteges facing off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

After the honeymoon period has ended I decided I like this game way more than souls 3

:yeah:

I like DS3 but Bloodborne is magical

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

There's cool ideas with the covenants in BB but I never summon. Has anybody ever had it happen where they tried to summon help and the dude who came was in the opposing covenant so he turned hostile?

I've been the one summoned who turned hostile. I use the Hunter of Hunters covenant rune when I'm just doing single-player for the little bit of extra Stamina regen and forgot to switch to the League rune when I was helping some people with Laurence. Showed up hostile to one dude and had a fun fight, though I felt a little bad killing someone who was looking for help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne PvP is fun and surprisingly still pretty active. I'm on NG++ with my level 150 guy and I got invaded within a minute of going to Mergo's Loft. I think I'm gonna leave Wet Nurse and the bell-ringing lady alive and do some dueling there for a while if the invasions keep up.

There's also a push to revive the dueling Short Ritual Chalice dungeon that Reddit set up, if that sounds fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Is it like others where NG+ and all above are in the same pool? I have my chalice dungeon guy who is stupidly high level already and might get him to 150 to do some PVP

I don't think NGs are separated at all, like in DS3. It's just level-based, no NG separations.

I think 140 might be the sweet spot for both invading and being invaded. At that level you can invade down to 120 (119 technically) and be invaded by people as low as 92. If you go to 150 you can be invaded by anyone between 100-175 but you can't invade SL 120 people yourself, so you're probably going to get fewer hits as an invader. You'll still get invaded plenty, though.

I kinda regret going all the way to 150 on this character for that reason, but at least I got 50 in both Skill and Bloodtinge out of it. And even if I have a smaller pool of people I can invade, I can get invaded by any of the PvP levels so it's still good.

There's a level range calculator here: https://mpql.net/tools/bloodborne/?level=140

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 12, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here done a BL4 run? I've never done a minimum-level run in a Souls game and since I find Bloodborne the most fun to play I'm tempted. I fear Shadows of Yharnam will own me hard though, and Rom. I'm really good at both of those bosses when I have HP (and visceral damage, for Shadows) so doing them without either should be interesting

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I watched Evil Eagle try to beat SL4 Maria for a few hours and it seemed like insanity. Low SL in Bloodborne seems really really loving hard, way harder than other games because there's no level-free scaling options like pyromancy to rely on and your defense is heavily tied to your soul level. No reason you couldn't at least try it though

Yeah, it's basically Saw Cleaver + paper + Beast Blood Pellets and then pray you can dodge well. Should be interesting.

SL1 in Demon's Souls and DS1 are probably the most "doable" of them all, at least from the perspective of not having tried myself. Demon's Souls because you're a Royal (bonus points in the endgame/NG+, because you can rock poo poo with the Northern Regalia in hypermode even if you don't meet the reqs) and DS1 because of pyromancy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the Lava Bow in Demon's makes it really doable. With hypermode it does great damage even though you can't meet the reqs at SL1.

Demon's Souls SL1 is basically about being the glassiest glass cannon. Get yourself in hypermode and Soul Ray/Lava Bow/Northern Regalia everything to death. Emarrel did a really fun SL1 NG+7 run on YouTube if you want to see how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4jtMrCPV4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's fun and I actually had a pretty easy time with shadows and rom. Ludwig is a nightmare. I'm still stuck on Maria but I haven't tried to make progress in it for a while. I ran out of beast blood pellets trying to beat Ludwig, so I would definitely recommend saving them for when you really need them.

I was gonna ask how you could run out of pellets since you can buy them once you get the Cosmic Eye Watcher Badge, but then I remembered they cost Insight, not echoes. Yeah, definitely got to save them for when they're necessary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

I have. I didnt do the dlc yet though. Its much harder than souls

Was it fun, though?

I could do SL1 Dark Souls 1 but I don't really like the Hand Axe or Reinforced Club so some of the magic would be lost. Or Demon's Souls once I get another PS3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

the Military Veteran class starts with the str/skl to wield most of the weapons, so i'd go for that if youre gonna do a challenge run

In Bloodborne, I probably wouldn't want to use anything but the Saw Cleaver for a low-level run. Its DPS and ability to build up Beasthood is just too good to give up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I kept the hunter's axe as a backup but always used the cleaver for bosses. You get plenty upgrade materials so there's no reason not to have a backup.

I like the speedrunner trick of using a transformed Hunter Axe L2 to open the Shadows of Yharnam fight to take a nice big chunk of HP off all three at once.

sector_corrector posted:

it's a fantastic weapon. i was disappointed it didn't get an interpretation in DS3... yet

I really wanted something like the Threaded Cane in DS3. It's still the only whip in the series that I actually like using. DS3's whips are improved from DS1/2's, but not Threaded Cane-level fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

I love LHS and MLB, also the chikage. And the reichterpallasch, the rifle spear, the saw cleaver, the stake driver, the scythe, the iconic whip-cane, the axe, the serrated whip, the kirkslammer, the crow blades, the fire hammer, the tonitrus, the saif, the church pick, the giant blood mace, the bow, the blade, the combination bow and blade,

:hfive:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quality over quantity imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flying Squirrel posted:

Bushido Blade is a great way to put it. I didn't really take to it, but maybe if I go back to it with Bushido Blade in my head instead of Souls, it will feel better.

Yeah, it felt like enemies were way overtuned and I was dying too quickly until I stopped thinking of it like a Souls game. Then it clicked. I played it like a combination of The Witcher (dance around the outside of groups of enemies, never let anyone get behind you) and Bushido Blade and it was a ton of fun. I'm really excited for Nioh.

Learning the timing on the "Ki Pulse" mechanic helps, too. You can hit R1 while your Ki (stamina) is waiting to regenerate to get a big chunk of it back right away and keep attacking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I only played like 20 minutes of the first witcher and never played bushido blade... guess I'm not cut out for Nioh :(

Well, it's more like The Witcher 2 and 3 in that you're pretty agile, hit hard, and can take a few hits if you have decent armor, but like two hits to your back and you're hosed. If you ever have to fight groups of enemies, you just gotta dance around the edge of the group and make sure they all stay in front of you. That's about the only comparison though. That and the main dude's hair.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

Are video games the only medium where people say "id love to see (beloved designer) take on (beloved franchise)"? I mean I guess this kinda happens with movies but you never hear people say "wow this painter is great I hope he does a monet next"

I enjoy sequels and new takes but I really want miyazKi to just make an entirely new game. The first release will be cool but kinda janky like demons and establish an idea that will get better with every iteration

Yeah, it happens in movies, too, like "I'd love to see X director make a Y franchise movie" sorts of things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I think video games and TV are art.

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want From's next action RPG to have more verticality, actual jumping, air combos, poo poo like that. Would be a cool new twist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish you luck on your quest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Whatever they do I hope it's not VR because I can't see myself ever getting a VR headset. At least not in the next 5 to 10 years

Wasn't there some rumor they were working on a VR mech game with/for Sony? I really hope that's not true. Mech game, cool, but I'm just not sold on VR games being a good idea yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i like that fight a lot. people keep qqing about broken hitboxes or whatever but once again its probably just cos thyere mad that they died.

Chain giant isn't so bad if you don't get greedy so I like that fight too. You just gotta hit once or twice at a time and then get out or you get owned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paarl is tough for me. Having a long weapon like the whip helps a lot though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I never stopped

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I took out the disc for about a month when MGSV came out but after I got the plat it went back into the slot and hasn't left since

The only PS4 games I have physical copies of are inFamous Second Son (because it came with the system) and Bloodborne. So Bloodborne never leaves the slot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Wheel is STR/ARC, though. Or is the BLT part of the challenge?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weirdly enough it's Arcane. It's actually one of the strongest Arcane weapons if you pump it full of flat Arcane gems or Nourishing gems.

Now that I think about it it'd be weirder if it was Bloodtinge. The Chikage is the only Bloodtinge trick weapon in the base game and it's Vileblood to the core. Logarius would never accept Vileblood methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I love the thunk of a parry

Parry sounds are my favorite sounds in all of Souls

Also it's amazing that the sound and animation of a visceral attack never, ever gets old to me