Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is so loving good

Ludwig phase 2 was the coolest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Benny D posted:

Bleed did that in dark souls but in 2 it was just a dot when it maxed

That was the other games I think in DS2 it was actually a chunk of damage like frenzy is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Status+Effects

It damaged you and lowered your stamina and speed and stuff I guess

Lmao I forgot how terrible the ds2 status effects were loving petrify and curse

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pookum posted:

I thought I was close to the boss in forbidden forest because I found the shortcut that loops around to the lantern, but now I'm getting owned by large bundles of snakes.

Lol I hate that area I keep getting lost. When you see a lake you're close to the boss, go downhill

frank.club posted:

if you clap to the doll she claps back 😳

Lmao what
Does she make contact back to you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I keep dying against Orphan solo but I feel like at this point I'm so close to beating it I have to beat it solo, doing Whirligig with 35 STR 32 VIT 31 END or something like that

got it to like 5% HP twice. Tried a beast pellet once and it was a huge failure after building up the meter and dying in a hit

I have no idea how I'm gonna go back to DS3 after this, I tried DS1 again just to compare and oh my god it's slow. Also unless I'm remembering wrong rolling had less invincibility in DS so going shieldless is actually a bit harder?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I missed all the screaming and grunting and howling in ds2. Everyone's so loving quiet in that game.

Yeah speaking of Orphan I turned the volume down because WAAAOW WAAAOR WAOROO was getting old

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

DS3 looks faster than 1/2 and has the transforming weapon stuff from BB, may even have rally in some form so it seems to be a nice blending of the games

Wait there's trick weapons? From what I know there's just the weaponskills

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tumor looking batty posted:

i still can't beat orphan's second form. it's killing me because I've gotten so close

Update:

Yesterday I had 1 hour of VideoGame Time and I used it all trying to beat Orphan and I did not beat orphan

Honestly I'm having fun though. I'm geting better at the fight and I get backstabs on him regularly now in phase 1, phase 2 just seems random whether I do well or not.

I tried using Whirligig +10 for most of my tries, got him down really low a couple of times. Tonitrus doesn't do enough damage to him. I got so frustrated with Whirligig I bought a bloodstone and went and made +10 Saw Cleaver, the quick attacks are nice but I didn't realize how much I was relying on the occasional Whirligig staggering him. I tried beast blood pellets for a bit but it just means when I gently caress up a dodge I die instantly which is reaaaaally frustrating in phase 2 when he attacks everywhere at the same time.

Normally I'd go to something else but I have nothing left to do in NG besides: Get Rakuyo (no thx), beat Laurence, beat Orphan. I tried Laurence for a bit and I'd rather fight Orphan.

It's getting to the point where I think I'm gonna go grind souls for a while and get more VIT. I guess people complained the main game was too easy and that's why the DLC is like this but I just bought the game recently.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I gave up on orphan and did NG+

I think that's the most difficulty I ever had with s souls game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All my good cursed gems are +22% physical -10% kin so I put them on the whirligig and just use Tonitrus if there is KIn instead since they're probably weak to the lightning anwayy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

listening to the soundtrack on YouTube.........some of these are the best orchestral tracks ive ever heard. 2nd half of ludwig song, the whole gascoigne song, all the cleric beast variations, the song from the soundtrack with the ah ah aaaahhhs......... [schwarzeneggar voice] every time i hear it it's like cumming

The First Hunter so good, not as good as Gwyn but imo up there

I love how they get more orchestral the more you go al ong and the last song is just a sad thingy

When the 2nd half of ludwig kicks in after the cutscene holy poo poo

scary ghost dog posted:

Laurence song sounds like cleric beast mixed with ornstein and smough brass

There's like a trumpet or something I have no idea that goes BRAAAAAAAAP at some point in the background

I.N.R.I posted:

the dlc added some but theres hardly any kin enemies in the game. lotta kin bosses though.

Orphan isn't even Kin which is weird

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pookum posted:

poo poo I missed logarius. Can I still go there after beating ROM and the one reborn? I'm almost regretting doing a blind play play through, I think I missed dark beast Paarl too

The main thing you miss after Rom is pretty much every NPC dies. Logarius can be pretty hard so it makes sense not doing him as soon as possible

Here's my Pro Logarius Tip: Learn to parry and also don't use any damage type besides physical. I was stuck on him for a while because I was fighting him with a 2 handed weapon like an idiot, parry breaks the whole fight. Make sure to backstab when he charges up to enter his second form or he'll become immune to parries

Cainhurst is so loving cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Btw I guess it counts as a spoiler but if you just beat The One Reborn you're approaching the end of the game. Here's a bunch of poo poo you probably or definitely missed

Cainhurst
The back of the clinic, which you need to get to Cainhurst
Upper Cathedral Ward (Has a secret area inside itself too)
Nightmare Frontier
Abandoned Workshop, small area no boss but some hidden stuff

Dark Beast Paarl, but he doesn't unlock an area he actually unlocks a shortcut. You could've beat him early if you came to Yhargul early before Rom by getting kidnapped

Plus probably most of the NPC questlines and covenant stuff. There is a ridiculous amount of hidden poo poo, like to a degree most games don't do anymore. It owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fiction posted:

Oh youre two thirds of the way through the game? Make sure you [spoiler]hit an illusory wall in blighttown swamp and find the cool weird landscape where theres no music and you can see the bottom of the world and there's a big fuckoff dragon ah it's the best mate

When I get to the end of a souls game I always look up what I missed before I end the game because doing that poo poo on NG+ can be a pain, especially if it's like "Oh I wanted to use this weapon from the beginning of NG+, oh it's from the end of the game gently caress"

It's nice to go through the game blind sometimes but like, you're at the end of the game what's the point hiding it. NG+ starts off kinda assuming you know what you're doing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My favorite weapon transformation to spam is whirligig cuz it's like kachunk and he takes it apart then bzz sticks it back on

Tonitrus doesn't transform but it's really satisfying to refresh the buff over and over while you're running around and just listen to the lightning popping and then fade out

I have to turn the volume down when I'm playing cuz it annoys my wife so much

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

01011001 posted:

worth nothing: tonitrus/boom hammer don't have an actual transform but they still have transform attacks

Actually I like using that Tonitrus transform attacl sometimes :shobon: Sometimes you only have time for a single swing so the buff+swing can help, instead of wasting an action backing off and buffing.

Also it's the only poke the drat thing has

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Agag posted:

I agree that it looks like a horrible mess, but when the moon shits out a Lovecraftian monster you think its going to be a little harder to beat. I at least I did.

Well when you literally fight the moon as the last boss he's pretty easy too

The only tricky thing is he has that attack that is impossible to block or dodge that takes you to 1 HP and if you're not ready for it you might react badly to it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

my way to kill eileen asap is to let henryk do all the work

drat can you get the blades early if he kills her

When I fought Henryk tho she pretty much soloed him on her own so

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

Yup! She drops the crow hunter badge, just dont gently caress up and get killed by henryk before you can pick it up

Oh right you still have to farm up the souls to buy it ;/ I thought she would like literally drop the blades for some reason

beep by grandpa posted:

You can get it even earlier than that, I've seen a guy get it literally 4 minutes after starting the game cause he just runs up on her from her starting point, viscerals her like twice to aggro then kites her off the ledge into the rat sewers and she fuckin dies.

I know about this method but I tried it once on a new save and it didn't work for me. The Henryk stuff seems a bit easier because you basically just wait and then pick it up

Can you seriously get from the start to Eileen in 4 minutes lol I remember my first playthrough taking like 2 hours for that. I still get so lost in Yharnam.

Also my main character is Strength with some Arcane but I still use her armor, crow face and cape is the best

I kind of want to make a Bloodtinge character just for Simon's Bowblade but the thought of killing Maria with a bloodtinge character...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i think maybe it's because they live for so much longer? they had time to use their magic instead of dying nearly instantly. maybe NG+ gives new moves too?

The witches get stronger with more insight don't they? On NG you'd have much less. I know at 0 insight they literally can't summon helpers lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't really mind spoilers these days but playing Demon Souls on its launch for the first time and having no loving idea what was happening and nobody having any idea what the Souls style was and the notes straight up telling you misinformation because they were dumb and not out of maliciousness was a really cool shared experience. My first character had like 40 luck and the Thief's starting vit lmao I would die in one hit to bosses unless I used Warding all the time.

But these days I just start a souls game and I'm like... am I leveling the right stat? gently caress it I'm opening the wiki

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

I think the only music I recognize from the souls games is Gwyn fight and the demons souls sizzle reel music

Yeah at first I thought the bosses were actually sharing music but by DS1 certain themes stuck out and by Bloodborne there are certain songs that I totally hum all the time like phase 2 of Ludwig goddamn

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Pointing to Cainhurst as bereft of content is kinda odd. Is still a pretty fully realized location, they just went crazy with the ghost lady placement so a lot of the areas don't really have any combat that matters. Just a different pace I think, and it matches the totally alien aesthetic of the place compared to the rest of the game

Also the only place I think outside of nightmares where once the Bloodmoon rises you can't see it, which is cool and I like what that implies

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

old yarnham stays regular night time too. and the forbidden woods. somehow i doubt its just cos they forgot to change it as well

Can you actually see the moon in old yharnam and forbidden woods? I think in Cainhurst you can clearly see the moon but it's not bloody

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I talked to a guy tonight who said he didn't like bloodborne

He was like I don't like the vials

Hes like the fourth person I know who have the game but either gave up in old yharman or right after beating father g.

Pitiful, really

Yea a lot of my friends irl who liked souls games quit BB very close to the beginning

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh Long Johnson posted:

The only downside to the whirligig is the sound gets annoying.

My PS4 is in the living room so usually when I'm playing my wife is also sitting in the room and she hates it when I play bloodborne because there's 0 music and dialogue and just buzzsaw noises and flesh being torn apart

Lol the orphan fight with the buzzsaw I muted it myself after like 30 tries

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm saying if the blood and carnage noises are too much just mute them and keep the music/voice on in the sound menu. the only hiccup is if orphan's wailing is a "voice" sound and not an "fx" one

I actually already turned down the sfx a bunch and music up but sometimes you actually want to hear what's going on too, like if I'm remembering right a lot of the time you'll hear enemies sneaking up before you see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was taking a friend through early Bloodborne the other day and parried a troll and he was like what the gently caress was that this is INSANE

I’m pretty sure the game teaches you how to parry in a tutorial? Souls games are obtuse.

It was a nice surprise when I went to the stats screen and was like oh right. The stats actually make sense in this one