Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I have noticed that up until maybe the late 1960s, if an American or other non-Canadian company wanted to set up a branch office in Canada, they did so in Montreal. Nowadays, it seems like any company setting up a Canadian office does so in Toronto, or to a lesser extent maybe Ottawa or Vancouver.

I have a couple guesses- mainly that because Quebec has such strict Francophone rules that it makes it unnecessarily complex to set up an office in Montreal.

Maybe Ontario has tax benefits for setting up shop in that province?

Maybe "overseas" offices in Quebec implied solidarity with the PQ, which might be undesirable?

Anyone have any factual input on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

two forty posted:

I have a couple guesses- mainly that because Quebec has such strict Francophone rules that it makes it unnecessarily complex to set up an office in Montreal.

This is the big one. Of course, at the time, there was also the distinct possibility that Quebec was going to vote to separate from Canada, which meant a lot of Anglophones left the province. Of course, high on the list of Francophone grievances was that the business world was largely English, so when the English hosed off, a lot of significant businesses followed.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
What business in their right mind would want to set up a major office there, jumping through whatever hoops to conduct work in French, when they have the entire rest of the country to choose from?

The OQLF is loving insane and only getting worse:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/quebec-language-laws/

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Large business isn't very down with the idea of a separatist party. In the leadup to the 1970 election the separatist PQ was enjoying a pretty decent advantage until the "Brinks Coup" where the National Trust Bank told the media that they had loaded all their bullion into armoured trucks and were shipping it to Toronto. The pictures of those trucks, published in every newspaper, are credited with allowing the liberals to win that year.

In 1976, the first PQ government was elected, and a lot of Anglos (and businesses) flipped their poo poo and moved to Toronto, fearing a successful separation referendum, anglophone pogroms and whatever else. Also there was the fact that the PQ has traditionally been Unionist social democrat leaning, so corporations were probably quite worried about being made to pay higher corporate tax rates on their earnings. Ultimately, this was kind of an overreaction, but we still see property prices dip anytime there's talk of a referendum or the PQ winning an election, as otherwise rational Anglos freak the gently caress out and tell themselves that this time the PQ will break with past history and declare a Quebec reich. Or something like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scudworth posted:

What business in their right mind would want to set up a major office there, jumping through whatever hoops to conduct work in French, when they have the entire rest of the country to choose from?

The OQLF is loving insane and only getting worse:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/quebec-language-laws/

I'm also given to understand that the legal system is fairly different from the rest of Canada, even in areas that do not relate to language at all.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The Quebec legal code is indeed different, being based on French legal code instead of English legal codes, but that has been true for far longer than the PQ has been in power and businesses have been in flight.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

PT6A posted:

This is the big one. Of course, at the time, there was also the distinct possibility that Quebec was going to vote to separate from Canada, which meant a lot of Anglophones left the province. Of course, high on the list of Francophone grievances was that the business world was largely English, so when the English hosed off, a lot of significant businesses followed.

Quebec and Montreal from the 60's to the 90's is a case study in schadenfreude. They were the 4th or 5th richest city on the continent and then collapsed completely thanks to their own rhetoric and entirely self-imposed foolishness.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Quebec and Montreal from the 60's to the 90's is a case study in schadenfreude. They were the 4th or 5th richest city in the continent and then collapsed completely thanks to their own rhetoric and entirely self-imposed foolishness.

Well, I think a lot of people forget that they did have some legitimate grievances. They just went (and continue to go) entirely too far with it. Making sure printed packaging and drug dosing information is printed in French? That makes good sense. Passing a law that retail employees must speak French to a customer before switching to English, insisting that a pub's historical Guinness posters be taken down because they aren't bilingual, or saying that a Chinese restaurant must have its French sign larger than any Chinese letters? loving retarded.

Thevalencian
Feb 14, 2015
The quiet revolution and all the attempts to refendum but also the fact that Ontario in the 90s under Harris enticed with a lot of tax cuts and subsidies as well as having better infrastructure and closer promixity to more vital and key American markets

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
FLQ scared away big business. French is an irrelevant language but the Quebecois keep obssesing over a lost cause. Regional language is already hybridized.
Summation: gently caress the bloc quebecois it's all pride

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
inferior steak seasoning means wining and dining execs is a giant pain in the rear end.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

two forty posted:

I have noticed that up until maybe the late 1960s, if an American or other non-Canadian company wanted to set up a branch office in Canada, they did so in Montreal. Nowadays, it seems like any company setting up a Canadian office does so in Toronto, or to a lesser extent maybe Ottawa or Vancouver.

Maybe Ontario has tax benefits for setting up shop in that province?

Maybe "overseas" offices in Quebec implied solidarity with the PQ, which might be undesirable?

Anyone have any factual input on this?

The French language.

Edit

^^

The perceived influence of separatists, and the possibility they'd get what they wanted, did not help in the mid 1970s.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 2, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Well, I think a lot of people forget that they did have some legitimate grievances. They just went (and continue to go) entirely too far with it. Making sure printed packaging and drug dosing information is printed in French? That makes good sense. Passing a law that retail employees must speak French to a customer before switching to English, insisting that a pub's historical Guinness posters be taken down because they aren't bilingual, or saying that a Chinese restaurant must have its French sign larger than any Chinese letters? loving retarded.

Who thought that was a good idea, or even an issue worth taking a stand on :psypop:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nine of Eight posted:

The Quebec legal code is indeed different, being based on French legal code instead of English legal codes, but that has been true for far longer than the PQ has been in power and businesses have been in flight.

Also this is true of Louisiana as well, and I've never heard of US businesses complaining about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

french is a poo poo tier romance language. portugese or catalan is where it's at. too bad the french used their natural talent at ethnic cleansing to remove all the catalan/occitan speakers from their country

• Locked thread