Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

two forty posted:

I have a couple guesses- mainly that because Quebec has such strict Francophone rules that it makes it unnecessarily complex to set up an office in Montreal.

This is the big one. Of course, at the time, there was also the distinct possibility that Quebec was going to vote to separate from Canada, which meant a lot of Anglophones left the province. Of course, high on the list of Francophone grievances was that the business world was largely English, so when the English hosed off, a lot of significant businesses followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scudworth posted:

What business in their right mind would want to set up a major office there, jumping through whatever hoops to conduct work in French, when they have the entire rest of the country to choose from?

The OQLF is loving insane and only getting worse:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/quebec-language-laws/

I'm also given to understand that the legal system is fairly different from the rest of Canada, even in areas that do not relate to language at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Quebec and Montreal from the 60's to the 90's is a case study in schadenfreude. They were the 4th or 5th richest city in the continent and then collapsed completely thanks to their own rhetoric and entirely self-imposed foolishness.

Well, I think a lot of people forget that they did have some legitimate grievances. They just went (and continue to go) entirely too far with it. Making sure printed packaging and drug dosing information is printed in French? That makes good sense. Passing a law that retail employees must speak French to a customer before switching to English, insisting that a pub's historical Guinness posters be taken down because they aren't bilingual, or saying that a Chinese restaurant must have its French sign larger than any Chinese letters? loving retarded.

• Locked thread