Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season. Let's say the impossible happens and the show doubles its NBC ratings on Yahoo! Its still not getting renewed. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. We are literally three months away from the last episode of Community ever.

If this were any other show I would agree. The sixth season is the end of the actors' contracts, and a 7th season would probably feature Joel McHale, Jim Rash, Ken Jeong, and an entirely new cast.

Then again, the things that have happened around this show are kind of unprecedented. It would take a lot to surprise me at the point. Sometimes I fear the show may outlive us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently they are going up at 3AM EST/12AM PST tonight (or tomorrow if you want to look at it that way.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

Do you have a source for this? I'm not finding anything.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/as-community-heads-to-yahoo-what-crazy-turn-will-its-story-take-next

Sepinwall says it - it must be true!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

pwn posted:

PDT. We're in Daylight Time now.

I contend that Daylight Time is really Standard time because it's this way for 8 months of the year.

It's certainly not that I made a mistake.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Looks like this is the first minute of Season 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMcbOPRKIEA

Wasting no time.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Just because paintball is involved doesn't mean it will be a retread.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I want a full version of Britta's video.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

And I think Britta is receiving more hits because now Troy isn't there (he was too the "straight idiot" in lots of gags).

The "cookie room" look from Chang would definitely have been a Troy joke, and would make no sense for Season 1 Chang. Not a complaint, just an observation.

You could say that Chang has been turned into an idiot, but you could easily make the case that Greendale does that to people in-universe. It's a bit of a cheat, I guess, to claim that the gradual broadening and dumbing down of your characters after 6 seasons is intentional - I'd say it's pretty standard for all TV shows - but at least this show can lampshade it within reason.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Why would a plumber be fighting a monkey?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Mario was originally supposed to be "a dude" saving his girlfriend from the clearly king kong-inspired Donkey Kong but sprite limitations of the nes forced miyamoto to give him a mustache to define his face, and overalls to define his body, miyamoto then thought the resultant image made the main character into a plumber, the rest is history

Oh I know the story, I'm far too big of a nerd not to know that. I mean more philosophically. A tree throwing eggs isn't any weirder than Qbert.

Basically I just loved the line, delivery, and response.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

That episode improved immensly after a second viewing, and I understood what they were trying to do. The ending felt trite because it was trite. I think the whole idea was taking the two 'bottle' episodes we love and giving them the same Community meta treatment.

I expect paintball pt. 3 will do the same thing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Do we know how many episodes total we're getting this season?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

And Billy Zane was the white horse.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

It was executed pretty well but several comedies have done the "Hey look at this product placement, wink wink nudge, ha ha" joke before. I guess it still worked this episode but if I see that poo poo like one or two more times I'm going to be pretty sick of it.

Well, that's kind of Community's entire raison d'etre. Other shows have used lampshading as a wink an a nod, whereas Community is about constructing a story around the lampshade.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I hate ads the much as the next guy, but if you're going to integrate them - and in today's world, it's seems you have to - then you do it in a way that makes the ad fit in your show. In 30 Rock, that meant slyly mentioning them with a wink and a nod, but Community is not 30 Rock. Community's only way to make ads work within the context of the show is to integrate them into the story.

As I said before, Community is not a show that is satisfied with hanging a lampshade and then moving on. Community hangs a lampshade and then puts a spotlight on the lampshade and tells a story about how beautiful the lampshade is.

There's not a single, 'correct' way to handle integrated ads that will work for every show. A single tear falling on a Honda logo as the final bit of commentary on the sadness\hopelessness of corporate ad integration and how it interferes with how people relate to one another? That is exactly the kind of integrated ad Community should be doing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Milovan Drecun posted:

I appreciate the addict angle, but that transition is what was glossed over. I don't believe addiction was any part of the Subway plot, he was a good guy willing to sacrifice his personal beliefs to do something he thought was right. Why did Subway replacing him drive him toward Honda (or anyone else he worked for in between)? Was he still trying to achieve his dream and at what point did he become an addict? That's the piece that was missing for me.

You mean they brought a character back to a TV show to quickly reintroduce a particular relationship but changed the dynamic to tell a different story? Why I never! And on a sitcom no less!

Look, I agree, it's a point that is glossed over. I think it's glossed over because it was a more expedient way to tell the story they wanted to tell, and they only have 13 episodes anyway. Was it an easy shortcut? Yeah. Has Community earned the right to take an easy shortcut now and then? I think so, but that's up to you I guess.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Really, to claim that nearly any episode isn't written almost completely by Dan Harmon is a bit of a stretch. The credited writer is the one who writes the outline and first draft, which Harmon takes more as a suggestion than anything else.

That's not to say that the writers don't play an important part, but much of it is in story breaking and punching up jokes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There hasn't been an episode yet this season that I've absolutely fallen in love with, that I can point to and say, "There. That's Community. That's why this show is better than everything else." But it's been pleasant to have around, yes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

I keep holding out hope, but they have sadly been pretty sucky.

I don't think they've been sucky, but I do think they've been...thin.

Here's the thing though, here's why I'm not hating Community because of it. It's clear there's effort here. There's a lot of effort in these scripts. You can feel Harmon and the writing, production, and acting staff practically squeezing these characters and premises dry.

It's not a lovely show. In a lovely show, they don't try so hard.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Fun fact: two elementary schools were forced to cancel their senior trips to the natural history museum of LA because Dan was holding his wedding there.

He married Erin, not you. It's time you got over it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

John Dough posted:

Is the final episode coming up, or does this season have more episodes than the last?

This is the last one.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Structure.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Frankly, I think it would be easier and more fair for me to rank episodes rather than seasons. With the exception of season 4, which was some real bush league paint-by-numbers bullshit, every season had its moments and exceptional episodes, and should be seen more as a continuum than as a season vs season game.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Capntastic posted:

The finale felt weird to me since the entire season was composed of one-off goofball gimmick episodes and then it's like "oh yeah there was an ongoing plot and there was a Jeff and Annie thing maybe? That was a thing he wanted??" Like the season did everything possible to throw off the trappings of continuity and the finale wanted to wrap it all back up somehow. I dunno. It stuck out weird to me, but I still think it's a good capstone for the series.

Even if I don't get the whole Jeff/Annie relationship.

I think that this is a show that's always been in a conversation with its fans, and this was as good a way of saying goodbye as any: Look, we could go on. Here's what it might look like. Here's some jokey ways, too. But is that really satisfying? Is it really comforting if everyone stays the same?

As for the Jeff-Annie stuff, as someone who does care for it, I think the conversation was again very meta. If you don't like Jeff-Annie stuff, then hey, this little part will bug you, but there's plenty else left in this episode so you'll get over it. But for the people who loved the Jeff-Annie stuff, Harmon had to give them something. Not them sleeping together, not everything they wanted, just a little farewell for some of the people who were (probably) the most passionate about the show. He wouldn't be able to live with himself as a writer if he didn't do that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

prefect posted:

The little bit of the show that comes after the episode has finished, usually while some of the credits appear on the screen. It's often not directly related to the subject of the show. It's usually just a little fun joke, but they've gotten elaborate this year.

Should also add an asterisk that a "tag" is also used in the writing\comedy world to represent an additional extra line or follow-up joke that makes the original one even funnier. This was recalled in Shirley's hyper-meta line about how "she can tag it, too." All the best stand-ups you know (Your Chappelles, C.K.s, etc) work with friends to help refine and tag jokes when they write new hours.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

I hadn't seen this show until it was in season 2, but when I was over at a friend's house as caught the ending to Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design I knew I had stumbled onto a magical, magical show.

Fact: in 100% of all fake gun shootings, the victim is always the one with the fake gun.

Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Not to mention the smart, independent, sexy romantic foil character is so overdone in sitcoms. I'm really glad they changed Britta's character. She turned into a pretty unique collection of traits, and Gillian Jacobs got to show off her comedic potential.

Also, you shouldn't judge characters by their traits in the first batch of episodes of a first season of anything. They have not been dimensionalized yet, and the writers and actors have not had time to experiment with relationships and how each actor works. It's sort of similar to when you first meet someone, then slowly get to know them better, and they take on a different character, in your mind, then the original first impression.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Just saw the first five minutes of Get Hard. Holy poo poo, Alison Brie! :stare: :gizz: Then I turned off.

So, I guess for you, the movie's title was accurate.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Season 4 was Community written by fanfic writers. If you are comfortable with a generic sitcom that tries to pretend that it is trying to do interesting storytelling while putting very little effort into pulling it off, go ahead and watch it.

The structure and character motivations and voices are all over the place, and it's clear that everyone went home at 5pm and settled for Modern Family level jokes. That means there are occasionally good jokes, they were professional TV writers after all, but any special quality the show had was completely washed away.

Skip it. It's not Community, it's generic sitcom x4218 with the characters from Community.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

I'm not a big fan of celebrity culture. I don't have idols. I'm not awed by fame. Just because a person is on television doesn't mean I respect them or have any interest in seeing them outside their role as entertainers

I love that you say this, but then...

quote:

Its boring and tedious exhibitionism for people who buy into that kind of crap. For the rest of us, its just a whole lot of nothing.

...coming from the guy who can't stop finding ways to hate "Harmontown" but will never, ever stop listening.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't know if you guys know this but there is a lot more lip synching going on than just this one show about it

At first I was going to make a snide remark, but then I suddenly imagined a world-wide secret shadowy lip synching cabal that is secretly planning to take over the world and was very entertained.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Man, if they wanted a movie they should just do it now. Bringing a cast back together after a few years is tough poo poo, just see Arrested Development.

Umm, it was just mentioned 3 posts ago: WHAS just got released and loving nailed it. It's totally possible to do this sort of thing right.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

I don't know

Third base!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

What Yahoo was doing was always a major risk that had a potentially huge upside - be the next Netflix! - if they could figure it out - which it was clear from the beginning they hadn't.

Yahoo still has a lot of capital to burn, so expect more poorly thought out forays into other mediums.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yahoo was not banking on Community being some sort of balls-to-the-wall amazing hit. They wanted Community because it brought enough immediate attention to its service. It was about buying credibility as a studio and a platform.

Since they had nothing else to offer (Other Space was great, but it had next to no production values and was something that could easily have been a youtube webseries), no one cared. And because Community was already considered dead by most people, no one cared *twice.*

I'm happy they did it because we got twelve mostly pleasant new episodes of the show and the great finale it deserved. But it was pretty much a complete failure from Yahoo's angle. That's what happens, though. Companies with a lot of cash that are slowly but surely losing money throw lots of expensive things at the wall and see what sticks.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wait 10 years and I expect you'll see a campaign for a movie on whatever the new Kickstarter is in 2026.

Assuming Dan Harmon isn't dead.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Im shocked.

I do love how Yahoo blamed Community. Yeah, the issue was the TV show, not that you spent 40 million dollars on a Hail Mary. What were they supposed to do, say "Oh, that's ok, spend your money elsewhere, get a better investment out of it."

Yahoo is a gigantic corporation with a huge amount of assets that nonetheless is absolutely bleeding cash at an alarming rate, spraying it around like a firehose. But yeah, the real problem is that TV show (that was obviously past its creative peak and was shamelessly resurrected to buy yourself credibility) wasn't quite good enough to sustain an entire new network. Blame the TV show!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 13, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

dentist toy box posted:

And the best post community career award goes to

The Russo Brothers. Second is Dan Harmon, but Donglover is doing his thing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Season 6 was Community after its prime, after more than its fair share of people had left and after a great deal of stories have already been told. In addition, they tried to do some new things with the editing that really didn't work, but I don't blame them, really - they never expected to do a Season 6 (it got renewed on the last possible day) and really did it more out of a sense of obligation. Season 4 was during Community's prime when they still had all the original actors and they could have told some amazing stories - but they threw away Dan Harmon.

Season 4 is poo poo and Season 6 is overdone and bittersweet with some nice moments and a great finale.

If you really want to know how bad season 4 was, watch season 5. See how much better that is.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yet another Harmon show sabotaged by an online distributor that can't get its poo poo together.

Sure, but at the same time, Rick and Morty is doing for Adult Swim what the Simpsons did for Fox and what South Park did for Comedy Central. And Adult Swim knows its future is in streaming.

Harmon's a good bet, TV wise, because he hasn't done a Studio 60 yet. He hasn't made (for someone else) something so vapid that only die-hards could like it. (Instead he sells that on his own through his podcast.)

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 30, 2017

• Locked thread