Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first episode was great - and really clever - and the VR plot in the second one was too, but that Britta plot was high-grade awful. People don't run away from home aged seventeen because their parents were kind of vaguely jerks a little bit, they do it when like, they're in actual bad/violent situations - which makes the first part of the episode where all Britta's friends are keeping tabs on her for her parents that she's cut off contact with read really weirdly. It didn't feel authentic as a plot at all, just a weird soupy mess that had a predictable and unearned conclusion.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it was a really cool tonal shift, the speech felt straight out of a Murakami novel. In general this episode was really good and hilarious.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

VagueRant posted:

I think both the Chang and Dean stories had intensely unsatisfying ends, but there were some nice character moments and funny bits. (Elroy snapping at Britta was the best - "Insects have wings!" "S-sorry...") And Mantzouks! Why is he so good at playing terrible people?

Also gotta say I have never liked the school board guys. Their reappearance made me sigh.

Yeah pretty much. The Dean story especially felt really half-baked even though there were some good jokes scattered throughout the episode. It's like..."we want to say something about our gay character! Except...we really, really don't, and then we don't know what to do with this chopped snake of a plot so here's a last-minute swerve into weak political satire".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

For the way the show focuses so intently sometimes on the Dean's sexuality, it's a little odd that we've never seen him you know, actually with anyone.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

This might be overthinking it when the real problem is just that they ran out of good ideas and the concept got stale, but I feel like the problem with Community is that the show seems to assume a pretty high level of goodwill from the fans toward the show itself and all the characters. Rather than feeling the need to earn the audience's approval, it just seems to be content to coast on the audience being happy to simply exist in the world of Greendale. It was always an incredibly self-indulgent show (though the longer run-times probably don't help in that regard now either), but now it seems overly self-satisfied too.

Alternate theory: Harmon doesn't really give a poo poo about the show anymore, and it's just a job for him now, so I'm mistaking pandering to the hardcore fans as self-satisfaction. Or I'm personalizing it too much and it's just been on the air too long and experienced too many cast changes to really be the show it once was anymore.

I feel this, the first paragraph at least. I feel the show's main weakness is that it often doesn't put in the work in a given episode to make you care about the emotional stakes, it just assumes you will.

I mean, some of this season has been great so I'm not necessarily super down on it either. It's just had a few misses for me as well as the hits.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like there isn't enough of a history of closeness and friendship between the current group to make all these revelations of secrets really feel like they have any impact. If you compare it to the pen episode or the lie detector one, the punch of those lies in the facts that this group of friends we think we know intimately have all sorts of sordid issues.

This group feels a bit too fresh and untested for it to be anything more than "a collection of annoyed strangers go through each other's dirty laundry". Frankie acted the hell out of her part, though, she was really funny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, this one was really good. A lot of funny moments and had some real character work thrown in there as well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought the central recurring gag of the episode was really funny, but even other than that it was nice just to get some genuine moments with the characters. The Elroy and Jeff subplot about Jeff wanting to be liked but being too cool to be genuine about it is just a nice, straightforward character beat of the kind that the show is at its best when it includes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The main plot of the episode is about how Rick's constant advertisement of Honda makes him fake and unsatisfying, and in the end drives (heh heh) him to ruin. It's not just hanging a lampshade on the fact that they're advertising, it's pretty actively satirical. When you hang a lampshade it's just "ha ha, look, we're acknowledging that we're doing something bad!", when you move past simple acknowledgement it's something else.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Viginti posted:

It's interesting this season that they've started directly referring to real pop culture rather than those vague facsimiles. Does Yahoo not care about offending people? It's arguably unimportant, but it does change the tone a little to have these characters existing in a world that more resembles our own. I mean, Doctor Who and Inspector Spacetime exist simultaneously now and if Jeff watched Parks and Rec, did he not catch the other comedy that aired with it for a few years?

I remember Dan Harmon saying once that he doesn't watch Parks and Rec even though he's heard it's amazing because he knows he'd compare Community to it, get too jealous and doesn't want to fan the flames of that. One wonders if Jeff's Chris Pratt obsession in this episode has shades of that somewhere in it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Abed has always been crummy at making movies, or at least not very good. It's something I thought about when watching the episode: over six years, he's never really gotten any better at his stated life's work and passion. That's kind of sad!

e: actually Six Candles might be his best one ever. Shocking if true.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 29, 2015

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Few Good Men. It's the one that ends with "you want the truth? You can't handle the truth!".

Britta meanwhile thought it was a reference to Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I really liked it mostly because Matt Berry is hilarious.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think this season is about as good as Community's ever been barring S2. It's pretty funny, sometimes very clever, some hits, some misses. I don't see any reason to cancel it urgently, although I wouldn't miss it too badly if it did go, but then I've never been a mega-fan to begin with.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Frankie and Elroy have quickly become the best members of the study group, with Britta pacing them close behind.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A great episode. Loving Frankie more and more with each passing day.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

With the frequent drops of Frankie being possibly gay, I'm maybe picking up some tension between her and Annie. They've had a few scenes where they just hang out one on one and bond, it'd be cool if that was building to something.

[Insert Pierce/Abed video from season two here].

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Episode was good. Really good in fact!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"Shipping" means to like the idea of fictional characters getting into or being in a relationship, whereas "not shipping" means you're indifferent to the idea or don't like it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, dogs are killing it. Evolutionarily speaking they're super successful. We feed and house them and ensure their proliferation because they successfully adapted to be sympathetic and lovable. Meanwhile wolves are living paw to mouth in the cold, by and large.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't like it very much. I thought the "it's a KFC space shuttle simulator, but they act like it's real!" bit was kind of predictable and not executed that well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I wish Paget Brewster and Keith David had been on the show from the beginning instead of Yvette Nicole Brown and Chevy Chase.

True, but also I think a version of the show that was less mature than Season 6's take might have squandered them in the same ways. Like I don't imagine Frankie Dart as written in the context of the first couple of seasons of Community would have been as funny or compelling as the one who could only come in after five seasons of context and experience.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's an amazing scene. The biggest laugh Community got from me was the Human Being reveal in Season 1.

The place my mind always goes for biggest laugh is the Winger speech montage in Paradigms of Human Memory. "El corazon del agua es verdad / That water - is a lie!" and "It's a locomotive - that runs on US." combined with the swelling music just get me every time. They're just these hilariously elaborate three second shots that perfectly sum up Jeff's total sophistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Glover seems really, extremely depressed. This article is peppered with things like "only two people truly love me", "it'd be nice to feel less lonely". The dude has a family, friends, tonnes of collaborators, but he feels desperately alone and apparently believes that either his brother, his girlfriend or his son don't really love him.

Sad stuff. I kinda roll my eyes at his pretentious "I call God her but I sourced my writing staff from an all male social club" thing, though.

• Locked thread